Angelina Jolie adopts Ethiopian AIDS orphan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I find this pretty awesome. Maybe it's just me :shrug:

from yahoo.com:

Angelina Jolie adopts Ethiopian AIDS orphan

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actress Angelina Jolie is adopting a newborn Ethiopian girl orphaned by AIDS, People magazine reported on Tuesday.

Jolie, who has toured the world as goodwill ambassador for the United Nations' High Commissioner on Refugees, said the baby would be named Zahara Marley Jolie but would not reveal the child's age, height or weight, People said.

The magazine had no further information on the baby's health but said she had been left an orphan by AIDS.

Jolie, 30, told People that she and her son Maddox, 3, who she adopted from a Cambodian orphanage, were "very happy to have a new addition to our family."

Arrangements for the adoption were expected to be completed Wednesday.

"Angie's over the moon," a source close to the actress told People. "It's a dream come true. She's always wanted to extend her family."

Jolie has been romantically linked with Brad Pitt, her "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" co-star, but the source denied they were planning a family.

"Angelina's adopting as a single mother and she wants that emphasized," the source told People.

The twice-divorced Jolie has often talked of adopting a second child. After a trip to Ethiopia earlier this year, Jolie said of Maddox: "My son is in love with Africa, so he has been asking for an African brother or sister."

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more Khan. Her relationships are not even worth our contemplation. But this is a great example of how strong and compassionate she must be.

That's great!

Haha, there was some gossip blurb that she was pregnant by Brad Pitt and seen buying baby clothes. I wondered if she wasn't up to a good cause. :)

KhanadaRhodes said:
say what you will about her past and present romantic relationships, but her charity work is more than commendable and this is pretty awesome of her to do.

:yes: I think Angelina can be a real nutcase sometimes, but I would never challenge her abilities as a mother or the genuiness of her compassion.

I think this is awesome. :up:

I have a lot of respect for her. I saw her a few months ago on C-SPAN talking to a panel in DC about her involvement with the UN. She has a big heart.

another article from MSN:
[q] Angelina Jolie Adopting Ethiopian Girl
Jul 6, 7:28 AM EST

Photo gallery: Angelina Jolie

The Associated Press

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia -- Angelina Jolie, who has been romantically linked with her "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" co-star Brad Pitt, is adopting an orphaned Ethiopian baby girl.

Jolie visited the Horn of Africa nation last week to file her adoption request, accompanied by Pitt and her 3-year-old son, Maddox, whom she adopted in Cambodia, an official said Wednesday.

"The paperwork has gone through. Miss Angelina's request was accepted last week," Hadosh Halefom, head of the country's state-run adoption agency, told The Associated Press.

The child "is less than a year old," Hadosh said, refusing to elaborate. The actress filed her request through a private adoption agency.

"If people's paperwork is in order, it can take only two days to finalize everything," Hadosh said.

In a posting on People magazine's Web site, Jolie is quoted as saying the child's name is Zahara Marley Jolie and that she and Maddox are "very happy to have a new addition to our family."

The twice-divorced Jolie has often talked of adopting a second child.

For months, rumors have been circulating about the extent of her off-screen relationship with Pitt. Photos published in the July 11 issue of People show Jolie standing near her Buckinghamshire, England, estate while Pitt rides a dirt bike with Maddox. Other photos show Pitt, Jolie and Maddox at Luton Airport outside London.

Pitt and his wife, Jennifer Aniston, announced their separation in January, and Aniston filed for divorce in March, citing irreconcilable differences. Pitt, 41, has denied Jolie, 30, is the reason for the split and Jolie has said she's never had sex with Pitt.

Hadosh said Jolie had met the 10 conditions for adopting a child from Ethiopia.

"The two most important are economic capabilities and check with the police," Hadosh said. "Although she is a film star, she still has to meet the same requirements as everybody else."

Ethiopia, a country of 70 million, has more than 5 million orphans, their parents lost to famine, disease, war and AIDS — a catastrophe the government has said is "tearing apart the social fabric" of the east African nation.

Caring for the orphans costs $115 million a month in a country whose annual health budget is only $140 million.

Because of that, Ethiopia has gone out of its way to make adoption easier.

In 2003, a record 1,400 children were adopted from abroad, more than double the number in the previous year. The number of private adoption agencies in Addis Ababa, the capital, has doubled in the past year to 30.

Ethiopia has strict laws to thwart dubious adoption agents and to ensure that the orphan really exists, that the paperwork is not fraudulent and that no AIDS-infected children are being passed off as healthy.

Agencies charge fees of around $20,000 per child, a relatively inexpensive fee compared to many other countries.[/q]

KhanadaRhodes said:
say what you will about her past and present romantic relationships, but her charity work is more than commendable and this is pretty awesome of her to do.

:up:

I think she is a wonderful person..with a big heart ....I congrats to her for giving that unfortunate baby a home and a big brother!! We do not know what is REALLY going on in her personal life, only what the tabloids speculate and they mainly focus on the negitive so I take in everything they dish out:eyebrow:

Zahara with her new mam and brother.

0200533025000.jpg

I don't believe Angelina Jolie broke up a marriage.
She broke up an engagement when Billy Bob left Laura Dern for her in 1999. But I don't believe that she broke up Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt.
Who knows how long Brad and Jennifer have been having marital problems. It is proven by the fact that ALL the tabloid mags had the couple, BRAD AND JEN: IN LOVE-TOGETHER-PLANNING A BABY, in January of 2005, then a couple of weeks later had the couple announcing their separation. We don't know anything about anything!
I like Angelina, for her charity work, but for most of all, adopting a poor and needy minority child when she could have her own beautiful and white child of her own. She has saved two lives.

Back
Top Bottom