Angel, MVD and Janet hang with Damien Rice and Vivian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
:yes: :heart:

all i have to say is that the three of us together rock! and we now have a best friend and were able to see inside a tour bus...:drool: :lol:

:sexywink: :wave:

i will wait to my dear friend returns to Montreal to post her story but word to the wise, don't ever ever give up on wanting to meet your favorite artist. good things do come out of it.

pics will follow later this week.

and RUN TO SEE DAMIEN RICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart:

we were able to meet damien and best of all hang out with the celloist, Vivian. she is awesome. one of the nicest and most genuine people i have ever met. :)

damien as usual was very nice. lol angel at one point yelled over to him as he was loading up his gear in the bus. "Hey Damien!" and then she ran over to him to talk to him like they were old friends. :shifty:

it was a fun night and one i will never forget. :D

poor damo having to put up with all the drunk Irishmen and women yelling at him during his sets. he is a good sport, he signed a passport of one of the irish fans who apparently was from his home town. it was funny as hell. oh and since lisa is off in dublin right now working on a play, and obviously not there to sing her part, a drunk female fan decided to offer her vocal talents and step in for her. we thought she would screw up the song, thankfully she pulled through and did a fine job as a replacement. the crowd was nervous for her but she pulled through like a champ.

Last edited:
a funny, well more like annoying part of the evening was when Angel, Janet and I were outside talking to Vivian and this drunk male fan comes out of nowhere making fun of my laugh. :angry: :down: he then feels the need to walk more like stumble up to us and circle us like he was a f'ing shark. we were not amused and tried to ignore him in hopes that he would go away, but he was not getting the clue that he was not being funny at all. eventually he figured it out and walked off yelling out his slurred words. i was starting to get worried that he was going to us in trouble for having a nice conversation with Vivivan. but vivian was clearly annoyed with this guy and said she would have Damien kick his ass if he did anything to any one of us. :up: :heart: lol i love this chick.

Last edited:
oh UKer's FYI:

[q]

new uk tour dates for february 2004

carling academy glasgow wed 11 feb

university newcastle thur 12 feb

academy manchester sat 14 feb

rock city nottingham sun 15 feb

corn exchange cambridge mon 16 feb

carling academy bristol wed 18 feb

octagon sheffield thur 19 feb

carling academy brixton sat 21 feb

Tickets go on sale this Monday 15th October

ticket details below

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glasgow, Carling Academy
wednesday 11th february
Tickets
Box Office 0870 169 0100
24 Hour CC 0871 2200 260
Online www.gigsandtours.com

Newcastle, University
thursday 12th february
Tickets
Box Office 0191 261 2606
24 Hour CC 0871 2200 260

Manchester, Academy
saturday 14th february
Tickets
Box Office 0161 832 1111
24 Hour CC 0871 2200 260

Nottingham, Rock City
sunday 15th february
Tickets
Box Office 0115 941 2544
24 Hour CC 0871 2200 260

Cambridge, Corn Exchange
monday 16th february
Tickets
Box Office 0122 335 7851
24 Hour CC 0871 2200 260

Bristol, Carling Academy
wednesday 18th february
Tickets
Box Office 0870 771 2000
24 Hour CC 0871 2200 260

Sheffield, Octagon
thursday 19th february
Tickets
Box Office 0114 222 8777
24 Hour CC 0871 2200 260

Brixton, Carling Academy
saturday 21st february
Tickets
Box Office 0870 771 2000
Other 020 7403 3331, or 020 7734 8932
24 Hour CC 0871 2200 260
Online www.gigsandtours.com[/q]

I am just seeing this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart: That was the best!!! Had such a great time. I need sleep though..... 14 hrs in three days just doesn't cut it for me. :|

Love love love Vivian. "LOCK THE DOOOOOOR!!!!!!!!!" :laugh: Ahhh, we could have been in New York City.

:angry: no! We kept saying "In New Hampshire, in New Hampshire" because we were going to stop in Lebanon, lol, but before we knew it Vermont was welcoming us! :scream: The I-93 N didn't have any marked exits for Lebanon like the I-93 S did. Too bad Berlin was too far north. :laugh: Oh well. It will be marked in my mind forever, or I'll get to Lebanon some day soon!

good things come to those who wait. so my dear you will have to hold on and wait to see our fantastic photos.

*i hope my hair doesn't look like an afro in any of them* and before either one of us post any pics we are running them by eachother first before posting something bad. lol gotta love those pacts. :up:

this will have to do for now. but when we get our photos developed it will be angel on the otherside of Damien instead of my cousin, i of course will still be in the same place next to him. :sexywink:
33778%3B3523232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3235%3E4%3C%3A%3E792%3Ewsnrcg%3D3232494585%3C66nu0mrj

Last edited:
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
good things come to those who wait. so my dear you will have to hold on and wait to see our fantastic photos.

*i hope my hair doesn't look like an afro in any of them* and before either one of us post any pics we are running them by eachother first before posting something bad. lol gotta love those pacts. :up:
:drool: pics of angel and mvd :drool:
i'll have all the patience in the world :flirt:
:angry: and NO you do not have a freakin afro :angry:

http://www.boston.com/ae/music/articles/2003/09/15/rices_subtleties_lost_in_overheated_emotion/

Rice's subtleties lost in overheated emotion
By Jonathan Perry, Globe Correspondent, 9/15/2003

Damien Rice
With Pedestrian
At: the Paradise, Saturday night

These days, it seems as though every other male singer-songwriter with something sensitive to say wants to be Jeff Buckley or Radiohead's Thom Yorke, only less obtuse. But that kind of histrionic sincerity is difficult to pull off, and even the most skilled new artists who try it can veer toward a deadly earnestness that becomes overbearing and precious. The heavily hyped Irish export Damien Rice is one such artist.

Buoyed by the critical buzz and swelling stateside success of his debut album, "O," which was released in Europe last year and is now a Top 10 disc on the Billboard "Top Heatseekers" chart, Rice has joined the ranks of other sensitive good guys such as John Mayer, David Gray, and Pete Yorn whose collective tremble has translated into millions of record sales. Rice is not nearly as

bland a songwriter as those artists, but during his two-hour, sold-out show at the Paradise on Saturday night, the subtlety of his poetic touch with a phrase or a feeling was often undermined by his penchant for overly emotive vocal gymnastics. Still, the gregarious Rice at least had the self-awareness to poke fun at himself in song at one point, describing himself as a "stormy little singer" in a jesting song called "Childish." Backed by a strong, versatile band consisting of Vyvienne Long on cello, Shane Fitzsimons on bass, and a drummer who goes by the single name Tomo, Rice confined himself to an amplified acoustic guitar that he tweaked with an array of electronic effects.

The band shaded the gossamer textures of set opener "The Blower's Daughter" with a hint of cello and tinge of percussion, then shifted forcefully into the seething ferment of "Volcano," painting its melody with bold, bright colors and working a muscular, insistent groove. Through it all, Rice resembled the kid brother of Dave Matthews gliding above a Hothouse Flowers din.

There were some subtle, striking moments that played to Rice's strengths as a writer, most notably a graceful, delicate reading of "Amie," whose romantic plea sounded like a meditation on cosmic change. "Older Chests," which immediately followed, held the mood captive with its finely spun lyrics about time and generations unfurling. "Older gents sit on the fence with a cap in hand, looking grand, they watch their city change," Rice sang in a gauzy voice that kept dissipating into the mystic.

Other attempts at heartfelt outpourings were not as gratifying. The matchbox twenty-esque schmaltz of "Cannonball," which began the encore, sounded ripe for a sorority mixer or a slow dance at a high school prom. A cloying "Eskimo" brought back cringe-worthy memories of a Crash Test Dummies singalong. The absence of vocalist Lisa Hannigan, who, Rice explained, was sitting out most of this tour because of "a previous obligation," actually made for one of the evening's more entertaining moments. Rice was ready to tackle Hannigan's lead vocal on "I Remember" before an audience member named Keira volunteered for the duties and was invited to join Rice onstage. With the exception of a flubbed verse (certainly understandable under the circumstances), Keira acquitted herself admirably. As did Rice and his band when they invited openers Pedestrian onstage for an inspired encore cover of Prince's "When Doves Cry" that segued into a section of Led Zeppelin's proto-power ballad "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You." The song built to a dense, furious climax before Rice made good on Zep's promise and said farewell.

? Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company.

Back
Top Bottom