Andrew Bird

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelofHarlem01

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Mods please merge if a thread already exists, but are there any Andrew Bird fans out there? I recently heard the song "Skin" and really love it also "Measuring Cups" is a good listen as well. Those are the only two songs I've heard in full but I'm interested in hearing more. I don't quite know where to begin though. Based on the various other snippets I've listened to, he's pretty mellow. As beautiful as the snippets sounded, I'd like to stay away from anything too slow and melancholy. So considering that, am I best off downloading individual songs as opposed to his full albums? If so, any recommendations?

I have his latest album, and haven't formed an opinion of it yet. The first song I heard of his is from his last album, and the song is called "A Nervous Tic Motion of the Head," and it's really great.

smielephantiy2.gif

I only know a handful of Andrew Bird songs. And I like what I've heard.

The two that get played on the radio around here are 'Heretics' and 'Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left'

I like those a lot.

i discovered him at the time Armchairs came out, and I spent the next months going through his entire catalog and wishing I had known him earlier. What a talent, amazing musician and easily one of my favorite songwriters, he has a great sensibility with words. The best thing I missed was that he apparently played with Wilco, guhhh, that would be have been so sweet.

I'll be seeing him when he opens for Wilco in August. I'm really looking forward to it, especially since I'm guessing he'll come out and play a few songs with them.

Mysterious Production of Eggs is a fantastic album. It kicks the crap out of Armchair Apocrypha in my opinion, but it's pretty nice too. From what I understand, his earlier albums are just as good (already mentioned, but 'Lull' is a great track).

He's quite the whistler.

He's playing a free show here this summer during the "Twilight Concert Series". I'll definitely be going to that.

EDIT: I nearly just fainted when I saw the other artists who are playing this series of free shows... I've heard rumors about the "to be confirmed" date as well, and if they end up being true, I will brag for days.

2008 Twilight Concert Series

He's playing a free show here this summer during the "Twilight Concert Series". I'll definitely be going to that.

EDIT: I nearly just fainted when I saw the other artists who are playing this series of free shows... I've heard rumors about the "to be confirmed" date as well, and if they end up being true, I will brag for days.

While some of the others are good, Neko Case blows the rest away. She I would love to see again

2008 Twilight Concert Series

For some idiotic reason, search couldn't find this thread. You think a search for "Andrew Bird" would find a thread with his name as the title. I guess search still doesn't work right. :|

Anyways, the free show here is tonight. I guess you can say I'll be Free Birding it up soon.

:flirt:

At this point, tonight and Broken Social Scene are the only two definites. You know me, I'd go to pretty much any concert by essentially anyone if it's free, so all of them are still extremely possible.

At this point, tonight and Broken Social Scene are the only two definites. You know me, I'd go to pretty much any concert by essentially anyone if it's free, so all of them are still extremely possible.

And I just realized you're scheduled to be some place else the night of Neko Case. Right? RIGHT??

But otherwise I'd insist you go.

And I just realized you're scheduled to be some place else the night of Neko Case. Right? RIGHT??

But otherwise I'd insist you go.

I'm glad you said something, as I wasn't sure if that was still on the schedule. But yes, that is most definitely RIGHT.

The show last night was extremely fun. I didn't consider myself an enormous Andrew Bird fan going into it, so I was surprised by how much fun I ended up having. That dude can do some serious whistling in a live setting, wowza. Also, I think I cheered every time he played the xylophone. He announced after the first or second song that they were going to play a ton of new songs, almost every other one. Sometimes that's a bummer, this time the new tracks were absolutely fantastic. Here's what the setlist looked like from the notes I took on my phone:

Andrew solo on violin (possibly new?)
Fiery Crash
Nervous Tic Motion of the Head to the Left
New song - awesome
Plasticities
New song
Lull
New song - rocking and good
Imitosis
Dr. Strings?
Fake Palindromes
Skin Is, My
Tables and Chairs
Andrew solo again (title was possibly Don't Worry?)
Dark Matter

I was extremely happy to hear Tables and Chairs live, as that's been my favorite song of his for a while. The whole show was a lot of fun, he's extremely good live. :up:

Back
Top Bottom