And what the HELL is this 'Krunk' stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm totally uncool--I have no idea either.

------------------
Such a nice day
Let it go...

i just pretent to know.

------------------
i am ready to communicate with you

I am not only uncool enough not to know, I'm perhaps far more uncooler in that I couldn't care less.

Well i don't know what "krunk" stands for, but in German there's a word "krank" (pronounced just about the same) meaning "sick"! (physically sick, not mentally)

Hmmmm - keeping it sick?
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 02-11-2002).]

Excuse me miss, it says this tour is "krunk?"

Free your booty and your mind will follow.

P.S. It can be spelled with a "c" or a "k." I just like it with k.

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

http://www.iloveham.com/

Please dont patronize me
any of you.
Iam not a 'miss'.
Iam a Republican.
Keepin it crunk which is the past tense of 'cranked' I presume.
And I got my hash-pipe.

Thank You
Diamond

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 02-11-2002).]

I'll tell you EXACTLY what it is:

It's the word dujour of the hip-hop community. Every so often, hip-hop must introduce a new word or phrase (or "phrizzase" in their parlance) for I suspect one main reason:

(There is, I also suspect, a possible secondary reason: they can't come up with a word to fit a rhyme scheme or rhythym pattern. I'll give hip-hoppers some credit (their "propers") and assume this reason is rare.)

THEY HAVE NOTHING OF ANY INTEREST TO SAY.

Seriously, almost EVERY hip-hop song can be reduced to "hey, let's have a party" or "hey, let's engage in some questionable activity", e.g., sex, drugs, or booze.

If they didn't come up with new words to say the exact same thing, it would be blindingly obvious to their fanbase that they are, in fact, repeating themselves and have been for YEARS.

http://www.rapdict.org/terms/c

crunk
1) (adj) Hype, phat. "Tonight is going to be crunk" -- ??.
2) (adv) To get crunk: to have a good time. "Long as everybody get crunk in the drop" -- Lil Bow Wow (Bounce with me [2000]).

If Lil Bow Wow says it, it must be cool. Or phat. Or crunk. Whatever.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
I'll tell you EXACTLY what it is:

THEY HAVE NOTHING OF ANY INTEREST TO SAY.

Seriously, almost EVERY hip-hop song can be reduced to "hey, let's have a party" or "hey, let's engage in some questionable activity", e.g., sex, drugs, or booze.

Oh honey, if you think that having parties and engaging in questionable activities is not of any interest, then you just need to get out more. I'm not saying tthat Hip hop is everyone's cup of tea, nor am I saying that there is any deep emotional significance behing the lyrics. But you know what? You can shake your ass to it at parties. That's what hip-hop was made for.

Oh and if you think that ALL rap has no significance you certainly haven't been listening to an Outkast of late. They manage to mix politics and rap in quite an elegant manner, thank you.

------------------
Keepin it krunk...

There's only room for one and here she comes, here she comes...

Originally posted by notiti:
Oh and if you think that ALL rap has no significance you certainly haven't been listening to an Outkast of late. They manage to mix politics and rap in quite an elegant manner, thank you.

i love their new song. i don't know what it's called but it kicks ass.

notiti:

Certainly, dance songs have some value, but I find hip-hop to be a bit disingenuous about the quality of their lyrics. Compare: on one hand you have techno, which focuses on making good, thumping dance music. On the other, you have hip-hop, which tries to fit its dance music to the standards of pop music (chorus-verse lyric structures), but - because the song's content is so similar to last year's songs - they have to make up new words and phrases to appear to do something novel. It's a bit dishonest.

And, of course, not all hip-hop is vapid. Outkast is a notable exception (and the Grammies have thus recognized them as such), and Lauryn Hill is another great example. But they are exceptions that prove the rule: MOST of the hip-hop songs that get the most airplay are modern equivalents of "Whoop! There It Is" or "Nothing but a G-Thang".

And, I'm not singling out hip-hop, either. Country music has become VH1 with a twang, and alternative has become stuck in a depressing cul-de-suck of Nickelback and Staind.

It's frankly one of the reasons U2 is such an attractive band, musically: they cover more bases than most full GENRES, and even their most seemingly throw-away songs (Babyface, Discotheque, Sweetest Thing, and Wild Honey) have more meaning than most songs in the Top 40.

Originally posted by Klodomir:
If Lil Bow Wow says it, it must be cool. Or phat. Or crunk. Whatever.
Lmao! True dat! Word.

I really dislike rap/hip hop stuff. But I think Outkast is an exception. They're pretty dope-ass.

Well, the etymology of "krunk" is a whole different matter.

I believe it can be traced back to Late Night with Conan O'Brien. A few years back, Conan heavily pushed "krunk" (or "crunk") as the new swear word of the 1990's, a word that could slip by censors.

I believe that that is where the word first appeared, and I can imagine some well-cultured hip-hop artist picked up on it.

Back
Top Bottom