And the best new band is . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coemgen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Mute Math -- anyone heard of 'em? I saw a show a few months back in Lawrence, Kan. and they were incredible. I've become a huge fan lately. Seriously, they're going to be huge. They cite U2
:wink: The Police, DJ Shadow and Bjork as influences.

They'll be on the Craig Ferguson show Feb. 1.

Check out www.myspace.com/mutemath and let me know what you think.

(no, I'm not in the band nor do I have any ties to them. This is purely me sharing a great discovery.)

I like them :up: thanks for this.

if you search on iTunes there's a video podcast of the song "Chaos"

dude they're coming to bloomington...:rockon:

Last edited:
They sound a lot more like The Police than any of the other influences that are mentioned (based on the sample I heard at the site)

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:
I like them :up: thanks for this.

if you search on iTunes there's a video podcast of the song "Chaos"

dude they're coming to bloomington...:rockon:

Cool. I'm glad you like them. They're incredible live too. Seriously. Tickets, at least for their upcoming show in Lawrence, are $7. And you can buy their debut album at the show, which isn't on sale anywhere else yet. These guys are going to be huge, I know it. There's such a buzz about them.
Seeing them live is truly an experience. The drummer, for one, duct-tapes his headphones to his head because he's so aggressive. Then the singer hops around stage like a mad scientist playing all kinds of instruments, including a keytar and one he made up called the Atari. They're just amazing.

U2Man said:
They sound a lot more like The Police than any of the other influences that are mentioned (based on the sample I heard at the site)

Yeah, there's a couple songs where Paul Meany, the singer, sounds a lot like Sting. I actually talked with him at the show I went to — he signed my wrist band and hung around between bands at his band's merch table to talk with fans — he said out of the albums that changed his life, The Police has like three or four. He also talked a lot about hi-hop and Sigur Ros, Bjork and some other Icelandic band. He was a really cool guy.

From the five songs I heard, these guys sound really good. I like Chaos and Control! When is the new album coming out? Looks like their taking an extensive tour of the United States.

Yeah, they're taking a huge tour to build up a good fan base and then I think they'll release the album officially. Like I said before, tickets are only $7 (or about that much) and you can get the album before anyone else. I'm telling you, it's worth it. They're incredible live.

Glad to hear you like them. You can get the "Reset" EP on iTunes. It has all the songs on myspace and purevolume except for "Chaos," which you can download for free on purevolume. Their debut full-length album should be available in a month or two, from what I've heard.

phanan said:
That leads to my next question.

Do any of the songs on the EP show up on the debut full-length album as well? Or is it entirely new?

Good question. If you go to the myspace site, there's a blog where they tell the song titles of the new album — none of the songs on the EP show up on the album. I actually was surprised, because the EP is amazing. "Chaos" is on the new album though.

You also can download an E-card on the myspace site and listen to "Chaos," another brand new song called "Noticed," and then a song from the other band touring with them (which I'm not really into myself.) The other new song of Mute Math's is really good too. It sounds even more like The Police. Not all their songs sound like The Police though.

coemgen said:

Good question. If you go to the myspace site, there's a blog where they tell the song titles of the new album — none of the songs on the EP show up on the album. I actually was surprised, because the EP is amazing. "Chaos" is on the new album though.

You also can download an E-card on the myspace site and listen to "Chaos," another brand new song called "Noticed," and then a song from the other band touring with them (which I'm not really into myself.) The other new song of Mute Math's is really good too. It sounds even more like The Police. Not all their songs sound like The Police though.

Wow. Ok, I'm getting the EP now then. I love the title track, Reset, with the drums. Actually, they are all excellent.

Great recommendation! :up:

Well, I just read on the band's myspace that they're not working with Warner Bros. I'm pissed because they deserve a good label, but I'm glad because it sounds like this wasn't the right label.

Bono just needs to discover these guys and get them hooked up.

I noticed that they are labeled as a Christian band. I'm not sure if this is by their own choosing or not, but sometimes when you are categorized in a very specific group, it can be a bit harder breaking out on radio. They should simply be in the rock section as an up and coming alternative band.

Great recommendation!

Even though this seems to be a MuteMath thread by now.....I just recently discovered a group callled M83. I first heard them on a Pontiac commercial here in the US and had to know what that song was (Don't Save Us from The Flames). I don't know too much about them but think they are a young group from France. On their MySpace page it says they were influenced by Brian Eno. Their music is very synth/atmospheric and some songs make some good daydream music while I am bored at work. They are probably not "new" but new to me. :reject:

i can't find any of the downloads cause im an idiot...helps someone??

the video links are really great though

Back
Top Bottom