and now for something completely different.......Python &Dali

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
pull up a chair musiclovers, I have the urge to tell another story.......
Yesterday, I heard all the Monty Python gang being interviewed on the radio .(Well not quite all, they said Graham Chapman "remains stubbornly dead")It was this week in 1969 that their first show was broadcast on BBC radio. Michael Palin said at the time they had a "heady sense of freedom" as the BBC had imposed no limitations on them....well except for very little money and a late night time slot
smile.gif

I so loved "The Monty Python Flying Circus" TV show when I was younger( the larch....the larch LMAO). The world would be a much poorer place without all the wonderful art that ensued from the Python team. I adore Michael Palin. Terry Jones is in Australia at the moment and will be reading poetry and chatting with Shaun Micalleff(one of our best Aussie comedic writer and performers...Micallef, a name for a frogbat, also a name...) tomorrow a.m on ABC TV.
So YAY, Monty Python!! nudge nudge wink wink say no more
say
no
more

Now the Dali bit....I have been wanting to look inside the Grafton Christchurch cathedral since I moved down here and never have felt right about it.Last night as part of Artsfest, a raggae/calypso band played in the cathedral, so I went along. Amazing!!!! the church interior and the music.They played lots of Bob Marley songs, it was a bit surreal watching the Artsfest crew cutting loose in front of the stained glass windows and to see a guy set up a camera tripod in the pulpit.
The drummer and singer, who also played steel drum, are both from Trinidad.Even so, I thought I recognised them. Small world hey?
I had travelled to town with hub who's band playing at a pub, so I had to fill in time till 2am. I went to the all night supermarket and the guys from Jahbutu, the calypso band were there too). I said to them, I just saw you in the cathedral and now here we are with supermarket trolleys, this is a very Python/Dali moment. lol.
Anyways I asked them, did you play in Lismore back in the 70's ? They had!!! with the Trinidad Cavalier Steel Band. I was there front row, when I was 14 with my parents.We bought their record all those years ago and still have it. So 26 years later they are still performing with such joy and harmony. Bravo.
Anyway, I found the whole thing wonderfully bizarre.
Cheers to music and laughter and you too.

Cass- those Monty Pythons are great indeed, I remember being about 10 years old and watching 'The meaning of life' with my folks and laughing so much and falling in love with their sense of humour, British humour is very good.......Of late though I have been watching a few videotapes of the Late Show- remember the show that used to be on Saturday nights on the ABC back in about 92- it was most of the D-Gen and the guys now are some of the members of the Panel- I absolutely loved that show, those guys were so funny, especially Rob Sitch with his various impersenations that he did- the one he did of Imran Khan is truly classic comedy and the whole 'Like a Tiger' thing
smile.gif

that steel band sounds very nice too, I love the sound of Calypso music, a good friend of mine is a drummer and I have been bugging her for ages to invest in a steel drum- purely for my own indulgence- I love that sound
smile.gif

funny, I just watched And Now For Something Completely Different. Great 'movie'. Those guys are pretty sick ay; makes you wonder what goes through their minds in everyday situations.

foray

hey Aurora...Australia, You're Standing in It!!The D Generation were a great bunch. The Dodgy Brothers,lol, Debbie and Tim, heeeadddd spppaaaacccee LMAO.Sitch was great as Mike Moore on Frontline( that show would be funnier if it wasn't so frighteningly true)
Sitch doing Imran Khan? That I would love to see....there's a portrait of Imran on the cover of this weekend's Australian magazine.I was just recalling his reputation as a "big cat", funny you should mention him today, cool.

Yes Cass I always buy my Weekend Australian- mainly for the magazine and to read Phillip Adams collum and I did see a nice pic of Imran glossing the front of the Magazine and an interesting article too I thought, but everytime I see him I cant help but think of Rob Sitch impersonating him and doing the whole 'Like a tiger' thing- which is referring to his 'playboy' antics when he was still a bachelor, anyway comdey is great- I always love a good laugh
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom