and another 2004 World Junior Hockey Championship thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael Griffiths said:
The CFL offers a more entertaining, faster brand of football. Even the ex-NFL players in the CFL say the same thing.

just when i think you cant make anymore of a fool of yourself, you say something like this and totally outdo yourself!

Chizip said:

just when i think you cant make anymore of a fool of yourself, you say something like this and totally outdo yourself!
Since Canadians have the advantage of being able to watch both leagues on a regular basis, I think we would have the better vantage point, no? :wink:

well since you can watch curling i guess that makes it better than the nfl too huh?

so how mnay people watch the cfl championship? if its really more entertaining wouldnt more people watch that?

the arena football league is much faster and higher scroing than the nfl as well, does that make it more entertaining? of course not.

Chizip said:
well since you can watch curling i guess that makes it better than the nfl too huh?

so how mnay people watch the cfl championship? if its really more entertaining wouldnt more people watch that?

the arena football league is much faster and higher scroing than the nfl as well, does that make it more entertaining? of course not.
1. I did not say the CFL was more entertaining because we can watch it. I said we have a better idea than the US as to how entertaining it is in relation to the NFL, because we can watch both, and because you (the US) generally cannot. Curling being on TV has no more relevance in this discussion than dart throwing being shown on ESPN does.

2. Generally more Canadians watch the "CFL championship" (it's called the Grey Cup, by the way), than they do the Super Bowl.

3. I've never watched arena football, so I can't comment on that.

Last edited:
i did some research and the largest audience that has watched a grey cup has been a little over 8 million. the largest superbowl audience was around 140 million. now why would many many many people from around the world watch something that was less interesting?

the cfl is like the minor leagues for the nfl, see doug flutie. a star in the cfl who couldnt een hold down a starting job in the nfl. but hey, if you like watching less talented player then i guess thats your thing, now i know why you are a canucks fan ;) .

"entertainment" is more a matter of opinion than fact, so we can agree to disagree, but i think you're in the very small minority on this one.

Chizip said:
i did some research and the largest audience that has watched a grey cup has been a little over 8 million. the largest superbowl audience was around 140 million. now why would many many many people from around the world watch something that was less interesting?

the cfl is like the minor leagues for the nfl, see doug flutie. a star in the cfl who couldnt een hold down a starting job in the nfl. but hey, if you like watching less talented player then i guess thats your thing, now i know why you are a canucks fan ;) .

"entertainment" is more a matter of opinion than fact, so we can agree to disagree, but i think you're in the very small minority on this one.
I wasn't talking about the entire world. I was talking about people who watch in Canada. Also, ridiculously more people have TV access to the NFL than the do to the CFL outside of Canada, so it's quite ridiculous to even be comparing world viewership. The US market, just like in everything else, is exponentially larger than the Canadian market. Even you know this, Chiz... at least I hope.

and why does the rest of the world not have access? because its not entertaining and nobody would watch it.

Chizip said:
and why does the rest of the world not have access? because its not entertaining and nobody would watch it.
Going by that logic, we can swiftly assertain NHL hockey in the 80s was boring compared to today's great trap game of the new millenium, because there was very little access to it outside of Canada back then. Interesting...

and theres a lot of access to it now?

im just saying if something is entertaining then people will want to watch it, so tv people will put it on tv to make money, thus people would have access.

usually viewership = interest = entertainment

Chizip said:

It's often classified as a B-league, mostly because there are no US teams, and there isn't a revenue-sharing/TV contract that can compare to the NFL (and its strive for parity)... but considering the average salary of a player in the CFL, and the commitment they put into games, the results are often just as entertaining, if not moreso than the NFL.

The one advantage that the CFL has over the NFL is the size of the league. During a season, you can watch any given team from across the country, in any football city. It's just not feasible in the NFL, even though they do try to achieve consistent rivalries it with regular divisional/conference matchups.

Both leagues are exciting, but the CFL suffers due to lack of coverage. Which is unfortunate, because I think there is a disparity in the point per game ratios of the leagues... the CFL seems more offensively-minded.

I've lived in both CFL and NFL cities, and been to the Grey Cup... they both just have different things to offer.

No Fair Catch!

:sexywink:

guess what is on espn classic right now

thats right, the junior championship gold medal game

its nice i can finally see it

i sure hope the usa wins :sexywink:

It's never the same as real time. Suspense is what separates hockey from being merely a good sport to being a great sport.

By the way, Vancouver won the bid for the 2006 World Juniors! So not only do we get the olympics 4 years later, but also the most prestigious hockey tournament out there. :up:

Back
Top Bottom