And ACTION!!! Your favourite directors...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmjhitman

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
So this kinda grew out of the favourite actors and actresses thread. I was sitting there trying to think of actors and actresses whose movie(s) I would go see just because they were in them. And I couldn't think of ANY (though if you put a gun to my head, I would probably say Johnny Depp, but that's it). However, there are quite a few directors whose movies I would see, just because they were directing, so here's my list:

1. Tim Burton (let's all just forget Planet of the Apes ever happened OK? Otherwise, the man is genius!) :bow:
2. Quentin Tarantino :drool:
3. Christopher Nolan (Memento is one of my all-time favourite movies EVER)
4. Baz Luhrmann (this one's my girlie pick :flirt: )
5. Peter Jackson (LOTR will be the highlight of his career, but Heavenly Creatures is also excellent!)

honourable mentions to: David Fincher (Fight Club :drool: ) and the Coen brothers (Fargo :up: )

OK moviephiles, let's hear it!

Tim Burton
Baz Luhrmann
Michel Gondry
Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Quentin Tarantino

I like what i've seen from Sofia Coppola, but that's only based on two films.

beau2ifulday said:
Tim Burton
Baz Luhrmann
Michel Gondry
Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Quentin Tarantino

I like what i've seen from Sofia Coppola, but that's only based on two films.

Great list. :up: Those are nearly the same directors I was going to list except for Jean-Pierre Jeunet. I can't think of a fifth director though. :hmm:

:hyper:

Stanley Kubrick
Martin Scorsese
Quentin Tarantino
Alfred Hitchcock
Steven Spielberg

:bow:

Honorable mentions: Michael Mann, Sydney Lumet, Oliver Stone, Steven Soderbergh, Jonathan Demme, Ridley Scott, David Fincher, Robert Rodriguez, John Woo.

Martin Scorcese
Quentin Tarantino
Sergio Leone
Stanley Kubrick
Francis Ford Coppola
Akira Kurosawa

Lars Von Trier
Sofia Coppola
Spike Jonze
Mark Romanek
Michael Gondry
Jean Pierre Jeunet
Hayao Miyazaki
Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu
Darren Aronofsky

my hollywood side:
Tim Burton

Peter Weir
Milos Forman
Sergio Leone
Oliver Stone (not very popular right now)
Terence Malick
David Lean
Spike Lee
Brian De Palma
Ridley Scott (but not his brother Tony)

Scorsese and Coppola too but that's a given.

Oh, and yes, I forgot

Francis Ford Coppola
Baz Luhrman
Kevin Smith (maybe more as a writer, though)
Martin Scorsese
Hayao Miyazaki (thanks for reminding my Jack in the Box)
Akira Kurosawa
Peter Jackson
Sofia Coppola!!!!

lmjhitman said:
the Coen brothers (Fargo :up: )

Fargo is great... but what about

Raising Arizona?
Barton Fink?
The Big Lebowski?
O Brother?

So many great films. So many so many so many. (And I love their primary rotating cast of Buscemi, Goodman, and Turturro [you don't f*ck 'a with the Jesus])

1. Martin Scorcese
2. Sidney Lumet
3. Michael Mann
4. Alejandro Amenabar/Fellini
5. Brian De Palma

Honorable mentions: Quentin Tarantino, Baz Luhrmann, Jean Pierre Jeunet, David Lynch and Oliver Stone.

1. Martin Scorsese
2. Francis Ford Coppola
3. Ridley Scott
4. Sergio Leone
5. Quentin Tarantino
6. Tim Burton
7. David Lynch
8. Oliver Stone

Ant.

(in no order)

1. Steven Spielberg -- yes, waaaay to sentimental, but absolutley no one knows where better to put the camera and how to completely and utterly absorb an audience in the story; he's on his way to being an American legend, with a last name that will be every bit as part of parlance as "Twain" or "Franklin" or "Edison."

2. Quentin Tarantino -- the fact that, if anything, he might be underrated speaks volumes; mad, violent, genius who had an undue influence on my adolescence

3. Pedro Almodovar -- color! color! more gorgeous, sumptuous, rhapsodic, emotional color! the colors act!

4. Martin Scorcese -- the ultimate NYC director, and "goodfellas" just might be the best movie ever made; brutal, honest, well-written, and smashingly entertaining, what more do you want?

5. Alexander Payne -- makes the kind of movies i'd like to make

while i respect much of what LVT does from a technical standpoint, i think he needs to leave Denmark and see some of the world before he makes easy, sweeping indictments of a huge, diverse country of over 300m people.

i also don't see how torturing Bjork for 2.5 hours amounts to a great film.

hmmmmmmmm...yeah i remember hearng a rumour that he doesnt care for the U.S. or something...it could be he was taken out of context. ya never know - the media has thier evil ways

that scene at the end of breaking the waves......and then the musical numbers in dancer in the dark.
were very exceptional i think -
i rented but didnt watch dogville though...it bored me...im sure i wouldve maybe gotten into it eventually but sometimes i just dont have the patience
its interesting to me how he uses the same actors over and over

Last edited:
i respect LVT as a filmmaker -- i respect anyone who challenges the mainstream and makes demanding movies. the movie world is better with him.

i just wish i respected him more intellectually. it's just a pet peeve of mine -- people, artists, writers, filmmakers, musicians, etc., say things about Americans and the US that one would never, ever say about any other group or culture (and of course they should be allowed to do so).

i just find that the easy indictments of some aspects of america -- guns are bad! the death penalty is wrong! -- actually debase his filmmaking because it's such an easy point to make, when the point of his films should be to challenge and provoke.

just small quibbles, though.

who is this one your referring to? this one that would never ever say things ? americans talk just as much smack about other cultures...especially canadians

hehe juss kidddin, about the canadians....
i love them.....

Back
Top Bottom