An ode to the Boston Red Sox...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
i know, i posted this in another thread... but upon seeing that thread slowly sink down the ranks, i figured the curse of the bambino was worthy of it's own thread...

the red sox won their last world series in 1918. the following year, the red sox sell babe ruth to the new york yankees for $125,000 in cash and a $300,000 loan. the owner of the red sox at the time, harry frazee, uses this $425,000 to finance a Broadway play, ironicly in new york. the yankees would win their first world series 2 years later. ruth of course would go on to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, players of all time. but that's not why red sox fans hate the yankees... the following chart might clear that up...

Word Series Championships Won Since the Ruth Trade

New York Yankees... 26
Boston Red Sox... 0

and the red sox don't just not win championships... they lose championships in the worst way one could think of...

-in 1946... the Red Sox lose the world series to the st. louis cardinals in game 7 after SS Johnny Pesky holds on to a relay throw, allowing the winning run to score.

-1967... the red sox lose to bob gibson 3 times in one 7 game series to lose the world series to the st. louis cardinals

-1975... Carlton Fisk hits a walk-off homerun in the botom of the 12th to send the world series vs. the reds to a 7th game (see good will hunting)... the sox go on to blow a 3 run lead in game 7 to lose the series

1978... The Red Sox blow a 14 game lead over the Yankees with two months to play... lsoing in an eventual 1 game playoff thanks to a late inning homerun by light-hitting bucky dent

1986... ahhhh game 6... the game all mets fans love, and all red sox fans refuse to mention... after 68 years, the red sox sit just one strike away from winning the world series. red sox fans everywhere are celebrating like they just won the world series. mets fans are sulking. keith hernandez and darryl strawberry are already drinking beers in the clubhouse, talking about next year. the scoreboard at shea stadium flashes the message "congrats to the 1986 world champions, the boston red sox." the game is all but over... then gary carter gets a 2 strike, 2 out blooper into the outfield. no big deal... sox are still up 2 runs with 2 outs... kevin mitchell gets a basehit into centerfield. up comes ray knight... pitcher calvin schiraldi again gets the mets down to their last strike... knight then singles one up the middle, bringing gary carter home, mitchell over to third. the red sox make a change, bringing in relief pitcher bob stanley. the drama is building, but the sox are still up 1 with 2 outs... up comes mookie wilson...
stanley works the count to 2 balls and 2 strikes... he tries to jam wilson with an inside fastball... the pitch was thrown too far inside and gets past catcher rich gedman for a wild pitch... mitchell races home to score the tying run. the sox are stunned, but not dead yet... still a tie game... i present to you the call by mets announcer bob murphy...

mookie wilson still trying to win it for new york. 3 and 2 the count... and the pitch by stanley... and a ground ball... trickling... it is a fair ball... GETS BY BUCKNER!!! GETS BY BUCKNER!!! KNIGHT IS ROUNDING THIRD AND THE METS WILL WIN!!! THEY WIN!!!
1986_ws.jpg

ws1986.jpg

red sox would go on to take a 3-0 lead in game 7, only to blow that lead, and the series...

1988... the red sox trade for the orioles mike boddicker. they give up a light hitting centerfielder and a struggling rookie pitcher for him... brady anderson, who would become the first leadoff hitter in baseball history to hit 50 homeruns 8 years later, and as for that struggling rookie pitcher... well...
johnson_schilling_ws_2001.jpg

that would be him on the right, curt schilling, future hall of famer, holding the world series mvp award that he shared with randy johnson...
the red sox would also get swept in the ALCS that year by the oakland a's... former red sox pitcher dennis exkersley saves all 4 of those games...

1990... boston trades a young third baseman to the houston astros for relief pitcher larry anderson for the playoff stretch run. the red sox would end up getting swept in the playoffs by the a's, with roger clemens getting ejected in the 2nd inning of the 4th and final game. that third baseman that was deemed expendable due to the red sox having wade boggs?
a_bagwell_i.jpg

jeff bagwell... who would switch to firstbase, win a few gold gloves, and is a future hall of famer and probable member of the 500 homerun club...

1995... the red sox get swept in the divisional series after their 3 and 4 hitters, jose canseco and 1995 al mvp mo vaughn, go 0-27 in the series

1997... after 4 less than stellar seasons, roger clemens signs as a free agent with the toronto blue jays, where he would revert back to form and win two mroe cy young awards, including being the first pitcher since 1945 to lead the league in wins, era and strikeouts in the same season.

1999... roger clemens gets tired of losing in toronto and forces the blue jays into trading him to the new york yankees... the yankees, and clemens, beat the red sox in the alcs in 5 games... 2 of which ended with controversial calls by the umpires... the yankees would go on to win their 25th world series...

and the curse goes on and on and on...

so all you red sox fans... enjoy your current stay at the top of the american league east... just remember that the red sox have been in first place on june 1st for 5 straight years, not once to have finished there at the end of the season... and perhaps wednesday night's game was a sign... comming back from down 4 runs in the top 0f the 9th inning to tie the game, in yankee stadium... only to lose the game in the bottom of the 9th by walking in the winning run. so get ready... the colapse is near...

god save us if the red sox and cubs ever meet in the world series...

Last edited:
:angry:

There is no curse, it's just a dumb excuse some fans hang on to and something other fans, especially New Yorkers, like to mock us with.

50 Reasons why the Yankees Suck-#33 is quite telling.

1. George Steinbrenner owns the team. This is a man with the warmth of Pat Buchanan, the patience of Ross Perot, and the credibility of O.J. Simpson.
2. The Yankees honored a truant, Jeffrey Maier, whose interference transformed an out into a series-turning Yankee home run in the 1996 playoffs.
3. Yankee hype resulted in Joe Gordon winning the 1942 MVP award over Triple Crown winner Ted Williams. The "Splendid Splinter" led the American League in six offensive categories; Gordon led in one, most strikeouts.
4. Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak in 1941 is considered the record in baseball. Why is excellence over two months better than excellence over a season? (DiMaggio had 193 hits that season, sixty-four short of George Sisler's major league record.)
5. They make you envious. Their General Manager is thirty-three years old. Derek Jeter dated Mariah Carey. Joe Torre has spent forty years in baseball. Steinbrenner did not have to go to jail following his felony conviction.
6. The Yankees retired Reggie Jackson's and Billy Martin's numbers. These two played a combined twelve seasons for the Yankees and hit .261.
7. Yankee fans are impossible to like. More than three decades ago, Roger Angell described them as "overdressed, uncomprehending autumn arrivistes." Today we would describe them as front-running boors.
8. Bucky Bleeping Dent, Red Sox killer and ersatz Yankee manager. In the worst-ever made-for-television movie, Dent played a football player who fell in love with a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader.
9. Their dynasty began because the Red Sox owner, Harry Bleeping Frazee, needed money to finance his theatrical ventures. We are not talking about hard work by the Yankees; this was Dumb Luck I.
10. Just before the end of the 1920 season, the Chicago White Sox were a better team with a brighter future than the Yankees. By the end of that season, the Sox were a shell of a great team. Eight of their stars were on their way to lifetime bans as a result of throwing the 1919 World Series. This was Dumb Luck II in establishing the Yankee dynasty.
11. After Mel Allen (whom the Yankees fired), their best known broadcaster is Phil "Holy Cow" Rizzuto. His biases would have earned him the nickname "Homer" but for the fact he hit only thirty-eight four-baggers during his thirteen-year major league career.
12. Role models like convicted felons Darryl Strawberry and Steve Howe have played for the Yankees.
13. As a Yankee, Don Zimmer has evolved from "the Gerbil" to a Grand Old Man.
14. The Yankees are living in the past. They have won five World Series since 1962. Over the same period, the Montreal Canadiens have won twelve titles, and the Boston Celtics have won eleven.
15. The Reggie! Bar was as hard to stomach as its namesake.
16. Steinbrenner, who was banned from baseball for life, got reinstated after three years. We hope whoever made this decision never gets on the Unabomber's parole board.
17. Yankee hype resulted in Joe DiMaggio winning the 1947 MVP award over Triple Crown winner Ted Williams.
18. Roger Maris, who had three great seasons, had his number retired. Are the Reds going to retire George Foster's number?
19. Yankee reliever Sparky Lyle wrote The Bronx Zoo, a 300-page whine about how tough life is when you're earning a large salary for pitching for a World Series winner.
20. Yankee tragedies are supposed to consume the nation. After Thurman "I won seven fewer Gold Gloves than Johnny Bench" Munson's plane went down, the Yankee faithful wanted the waiting period for Munson's Hall of Fame election waived. Tony Conigliaro, whose life was more tragic than Munson's, and who hit more home runs in far fewer at bats than Munson did, is forgotten outside of Boston.
21. Two words: Jim Leyritz
22. After the 1976 Yankees won the franchise's first pennant in twelve years, they were swept by the Reds in the World Series. Steinbrenner complained of how this loss to the greatest team since the end of World War II was a "personal humiliation."
23. The Kansas City A's were effectively a Yankee farm club. (Would you believe they sent Roger Maris to the Yankees for four spare parts?)
24. The Babe Ruth Story might be the worst sports movie ever made.
25. Howard Cosell rhapsodized about Mickey "the CAT-a-lyst" Rivers, Reg-GER-oo, and Chris "the Silent One" Chambliss when the Yankees were on Monday Night Baseball in the 1970's.
26. ABC called it Monday Night Baseball, but in practice it was The Yankee Game of the Week.
27. Above-average feats by ordinary Yankees make magazine covers.
28. Thanks to Yankee fans, Chris Chambliss's trip around the bases after his 1976 pennant-winning home run was more of an adventure than getting out of Saigon.
29. Steinbrenner, who has the Mona Lisa of ballparks, has demanded that New York City build him a paint-by-the-numbers stadium with luxury boxes.
30. Larry McPhail, the Steinbrenner of his time, made it impossible for Hall of Famers Joe McCarthy and Bill Dickey to manage the Yankees.
31. Steinbrenner and five-time Yankee manager Billy Martin made up and broke up more frequently than temperamental high school sweethearts.
32. A Yankee fan's contribution to baseball chat rooms is limited to "Red Sox suck" and "1918."
33. The Yankees exiled their greatest legend, Babe Ruth, to the 38-115 Boston Braves. They let stars like Frank Colman and Roy Weatherly wear Ruth's #3 before retiring it.
34. Yankee co-owner Del "Mr. Baseball" Webb
35. Yankee General Manager George "Chuckles" Weiss
36. Yankee backup catcher Charlie Silvera played in 227 major league games and one World Series game. Somehow, he was on six World Series winners, while Ty Cobb was on none.
37. Bill Mazeroski got the key hit in three Pirate wins, hit the World Series-winning home run, batted .320 and watched Yankee Bobby Richardson get named the MVP of the 1960 World Series.
38. Either the Yankees of the 1960's were a cliquish gang who slammed windows on kids wanting autographs as described in Jim Bouton's Ball Four, or...
39. Bouton is a liar, in which case the Yankees issued a paycheck to a big-mouthed malcontent who had a 4-15 record in 1965.
40. Joe DiMaggio was voted baseball's "Greatest Living Player" largely because that noted baseball expert, Paul Simon, wrote a line in "Mrs. Robinson" about him.
41. Free enterprise is free enterprise, but there is something terribly wrong when Luis Tiant is pictured in a Yankee uniform, holding a hot dog and saying "It is great to be with a winner." I blame the Yankees.
42. Wally Pipp could not play with a headache.
43. In the 1930's and 1940's, the Yankees would not allow radio broadcasts of their games.
44. You had to cheer for someone in the Billy Martin-Ed Whitson fight.
45. Shane Spencer had a few great weeks and the New York media compared the start of his career to those of various Hall of Famers. Earth to Spencer fans: baseball is a game of streaks. Hurricane Hazle, after a six-game major league career with the Reds, hit .403 in forty-one games for the '57 Braves. Within a year the twenty-eight-year-old was gone from the major leagues.
46. No matter how often I remind myself that he has a family and probably visits sick kids in hospitals, I cannot like Tino Martinez.
47. The Yankees have helped cause the exorbitant salaries in baseball. Bernie Williams makes over $12 million a year. What does this make Chipper Jones or Alex Rodriguez worth? Can I buy a ticket on the installment plan?
48. Ron Blomberg was baseball's first designated hitter. There is something preternatural about a Yankee holding the distinction of introducing an odious concept.
49. Jerry Coleman, whose malapropisms ("Folkers is throwing up in the bullpen") as a Padres announcer are legendary, is a former Yankee.
50. Hillary Clinton, who knows less about baseball than she knows about the upstate New York town of Glens Falls, claims to be a lifelong Yankee fan.
Aquired from: http://yankeehater.com

This Yankees fan just HAS to get in on this topic!!!!! I have to address several points mentioned here:
1. IMHO, the Red Sox WS drought is mentioned more than the Chicago teams because of the Boston fans. Oh, how they agonize over the Old Towne team!!! The fans go onandonandonandonandON about their team's lack of success...it's almost like they are making their own bad luck.
2. In that yankeehaters.com list, one of the items disses Tino Martinez. Excuse me! Tino is a class act, a great teammate and Yankee fans miss him to this day. Especially my mother. So don't diss my mother's favorite player.:mad: !
3. Speaking of dissing, Headache etc., I'm proud that Hillary's my senator. As for her liking the Yankees, welllll...I think she's much more the Cubs fan.
At the moment, I'm just wondering if Roger (or Rajah, as the BoSox fans would say) will ever get his 300th win! I knew...I just KNEW...that relief pitcher was going to give up a three-run homer. What was Joe Torre thinking???
Well, that's my .02,
Diane
Who was at the 6th game of the '86 WS

hahahaha, suck it red sox

go cards

btw, cubs stand for completely useless by september

Now proudly living in Cub Country

I love seeing Edge wearing a HUGE yankees logo. :lol:

And, there is NO greater place to see an afternoon ballgame like Wrigley Field
:drool: Friendly Confines :drool:

Last edited:
Re: Now proudly living in Cub Country

zonelistener said:
I love seeing Edge wearing a HUGE yankees logo. :lol:

And, there is NO greater place to see an afternoon ballgame like Wrigley Field
:drool: Friendly Confines :drool:

pssssssh, the stadium is dmn old, so the seats are uncomfortble, there are bad sightlines, you have to pee into a troft...

and the fans there just go to get wasted and act like jackasses, not really watch the baseball game

the cubs :mad:

don't mess with people who like to get wasted and act like a jackass.

:angry:

*puts chizip in the reject box, lights it on fire and throws it off a cliff

p.s. - not all of us have to pee in a trough

:mad:

Chizip said:
hahahaha, suck it red sox

go cards

*cough*13-1*cough*

Actually, I don't mind the Cards too much. One of my fave minor leaguers got traded there last year... not sure if he's still in the system.

"Just when it looked like the New York Yankees were getting back on the right track, things took a turn for the worse on Wednesday night. Six Houston pitchers combined to no-hit New York, as the Astros shut out the Yankees, 8-0, at Yankee Stadium. " :evil:

*cough*8-7*cough*

man what a great game last night, up 3-0 in the ninth the beaners tie it up, down 5-3 in the 10th the beaners tie it up, down 8-5 in the 13th the beaners almost tie it up.

bring on the damn yankees.

It was a great game... but I missed it :( I only saw highlights and heard about it. Oh well. It was an exciting one, anyway, huh?

Good luck with the yanks :evil:

Re: Re: Now proudly living in Cub Country

Chizip said:

pssssssh, the stadium is dmn old, so the seats are uncomfortble, there are bad sightlines, you have to pee into a troft...

and the fans there just go to get wasted and act like jackasses, not really watch the baseball game

the cubs :mad:

Stadium is might be old..but at least is not an oversized "ash tray" from the 60's/70's (BORING :down: ). It feels like baseball - not baseball, oh, and football (go St. Louis Cardinals Football :up: :wink: ), and maybe soccer, and cocnerts, and whatever else we can cram in a MULTI-PURPOSE stadium.

The seats in Wrigley are fairly new (in the past ten years). All the old ones have been replaced and sold (I almost bought one a few years back). Troft peeing....common in stadium, old and new...FOR YEARS. Not that they are any sporting Meccas, but the Metrodome and Target Center in Minneapolis (circa 1982 and 1990) have troughs. Inexpensive - and hell, we all now we are "animals" anyway.

Do us all a favor - Stay down there on I-55. :wink:

:lol:

You would think I grew up witht he Cubs or something.

Back
Top Bottom