An Interference Grammer Lesson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Judging from the many, many posts I've read here at Interference, it seems like some basic grammatical eduation is needed. So I'm providing one right here. Just four basic things.

Perhaps a mod could pin this.

There, Their, and They're, ARE NOT interchangable.

There refers to a place. Ex:

Look over there!
Let's go over there!
There is no solution!

Their refers to ownership, it is possessive. Ex:

That' their house.
They wrote their song.
They played their game.

They're is a contradiction for 'They are'. Ex:

They're going to the U2 concert.
They're the greatest band in the world.
They're on tour right now.

Your and You're ARE NOT interchangable.

Your refers to ownership, it is possessive. Ex:

Go to your room.
Eat your dinner.
Bite your tongue.

You're is a contracdiction for 'You are'. Ex:

You're my hero!
You're my lover!
You're a star!

Not all plural nouns or verbs require an apostrophe before the s.

If it is just a plural noun, it is wrong to put an apostrophe before the s. Ex:

Albums = correct
Album's = incorrect
Songs = correct
Song's = incorrect

When using the word its, the need for an apostrophe depends upon how you're using the word. If you saying 'it is' something or rather, you need it. If you are using it in a possessive sense, you don't need it. Ex:

A. It's time to go to the U2 concert.
B. Everything has its time and place.

To the contrary, when using almost any other noun in a possessive sense, you DO need the apostrophe. Ex:

Does one follow one's soul or one's heart?
I like my mother's car.
I can't find the CD player's plug.

I BEFORE E EXCEPT AFTER C OR WHEN SOUNDING LIKE A AS IN NEIGHBOR OR WEIGH.

Ex:

Weird(this one actually doesn't follow the rule, but it's correct)
Thief
Grief
Believe
Friend
Foreign
Height
Ceiling
etc etc

I know all this because I failed to fall asleep during my 7th grade English class(this was 7 years ago, I'm in my second year of college now), which had primarily to do with grammar. Which is harder than it sounds, it was a boring class. A lot of kids fell asleep. But I don't blame the teacher. Mr. Martin was a good guy. Besides, how interesting can you make this stuff, right?

StlElevation said:
did you mean grammar

Yes, I did. Not as ironic as it seems though, since that is a spelling mistake and this thread is about grammar. They are NOT one and the same. What is ironic, however, is that you have a grammar error. You asked a question, so put a freaking question mark at the end of it. And it's a sentence, so capitalize the first letter. It's not that hard. You're proving that some of you need this.

nah. i dont like using capital letters. i also do not like to use question marks. im not writing an essay here. relax while youre at it...

no apostrophe or period at the end of this sentence...im in trouble

namkcuR said:

Yes, I did. Not as ironic as it seems though, since that is a spelling mistake and this thread is about grammar. They are NOT one and the same. What is ironic, however, is that you have a grammar error. You asked a question, so put a freaking question mark at the end of it. And it's a sentence, so capitalize the first letter. It's not that hard. You're proving that some of you need this.

You know, if you're going to take the time to give us a lesson in grammar, at least have the grace/humor to accept a critique of your own mistake, as opposed to lashing out. You've already made yourself look like a moron, why compound it?

Additionally, Stlelevation, by not using a question mark, made a mistake in regards to punctuation, not grammar. Like grammar and spelling, they are NOT the same. Grammar pertains to the use of words, not to the use of punctuation.

I'm sure that you're poring over Bono's lyrics, this very second, so you can correct his shoddy grammar, syntax, punctuation and spelling. Let us know how that goes.

Last edited:
you're and they're are contractions, not contradictions. a contradiction is a opposition between two conflicting forces or ideas.

Yes. Contraction. Good thing to point out.

Anywho...

namkcuR said:
There, Their, and They're, ARE NOT interchangable.

There refers to a place. Ex:

Look over there!
Let's go over there!
There is no solution!

Their refers to ownership, it is possessive. Ex:

That' their house.
They wrote their song.
They played their game.

They're is a contradiction for 'They are'. Ex:

They're going to the U2 concert.
They're the greatest band in the world.
They're on tour right now.

Your and You're ARE NOT interchangable.

Your refers to ownership, it is possessive. Ex:

Go to your room.
Eat your dinner.
Bite your tongue.

You're is a contracdiction for 'You are'. Ex:

You're my hero!
You're my lover!
You're a star!

Not all plural nouns or verbs require an apostrophe before the s.

If it is just a plural noun, it is wrong to put an apostrophe before the s. Ex:

Albums = correct
Album's = incorrect
Songs = correct
Song's = incorrect

When using the word its, the need for an apostrophe depends upon how you're using the word. If you saying 'it is' something or rather, you need it. If you are using it in a possessive sense, you don't need it. Ex:

A. It's time to go to the U2 concert.
B. Everything has its time and place.

To the contrary, when using almost any other noun in a possessive sense, you DO need the apostrophe. Ex:

Does one follow one's soul or one's heart?
I like my mother's car.
I can't find the CD player's plug.[/B]

Heh. My three biggest pet peeves in regards to grammar.

Another thing to consider adding: the difference between "affect" and "effect". I notice a lot of people confuse those two all the time as well.

Angela

Last edited:
bobsqu.gif

:up:

You never know who you're talking to over the internet. I know a few people who are in their 20's and 30's and are going to classes to improve their writing, and reading, because they didn't get a very good education when they were younger. Not everyone has had the privilage of having teachers like Mr. Martin when they were at school.

I really can't take someone seriously when they have misspelled the word grammar in the title of this thread and then proceed to shout at people for not using a question mark and try and lord it up over other people. Pot. Kettle. Black.

anyhoo thankz for the lectur tho namkucR mayb u wer just tryin to enspire peoples here ill try and spell more proper in the future for yous (you'se or mayb you's) all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom