An intellectual music discussion #1 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 11-26-2005, 12:53 PM   #76
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:00 PM
Originally posted by elevation2u

Super Furry Animals:
- Fuzzy Logic
- Radiator
- Guerrilla

Godspeed You! Black Emperor:
- F# A# oo
- Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada
- Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

Explosions in the Sky:
- How Strange, Innocence
- Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Live Forever
- The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place

Old 11-26-2005, 03:02 PM   #77
Local Time: 05:00 PM
Stone Temple Pilots-Core, Purple, and Tiny Music...
they went downhill with their next two, and final albums, No. 4 and Shangri-La-Di-Da.

Van Halen is arguable. Van Halen I and II are classics, but they may have taken a step back with Women and Children First. 1984's awesome, but parts of it sound dated, which is why their first album is still their greatest.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:00 PM
Originally posted by lazarus
I'm a big Pearl Jam fan, but Ten isn't even close to their best work. It lacks the scope of the later records where you really saw what they were capable of. It's overproduced and sounds rather dated.

If you were going with Vs., Vitalogy, and No Code, I'd be right behind that, but unfortunately we're talking first three albums.

I second that

They are my 2nd favourite band and I think that "Ten" is one of the most overrated albums of the 90's. No Code, Vs., Vitalogy and Yield are better IMO. Okay, it has Black, Alive and Even Flow but still doesn't amuses me.

Back to the topic, I'd go with Hendrix or Springsteen. Maybe the last one. But I'm suspect...

Well, I think Iron Maiden could be another name to this list. Of course doesn't hold a candle to many names stated here but... "Iron Maiden", "Killers" and "The Number of the Beast" #2 it's a bit weak but #1 and #3 are easily their best albums. But I'm suspect again, I really like their music
Old 11-26-2005, 05:19 PM   #79
one could say the pixies - come on pilgrim, surfer rosa, doolittle

however, i would have to disagree, since i LOVE trompe le monde
Old 11-27-2005, 12:25 AM   #80
Local Time: 03:00 PM
The Jesus and Mary Chain. Psychocandy, Darklands, Automatic - for sure. (I think Barbed Wire Kisses is on the same disqualification plane as Hatful of Hollow.)
Old 11-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #81
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 02:00 PM
Originally posted by MacPhistoPT
Well, I think Iron Maiden could be another name to this list. Of course doesn't hold a candle to many names stated here but... "Iron Maiden", "Killers" and "The Number of the Beast" #2 it's a bit weak but #1 and #3 are easily their best albums. But I'm suspect again, I really like their music

You know I used to think Killers was their worst album when I first got into Maiden back in '87. After several years it became my favorite. I love Dickinson to death, but those first two albums have a raw power unique to their discography. And because they have that New Wave of British Heavy Metal sound, they're a lot closer to punk than most people would think. It's like punk rock with lyrics by Edgar Allan Poe.

Adrian Smith was new to Maiden on Killers, and that's really why I prefer it to the first album. The solo he takes on Prodigal Son is one of the best I've ever heard. There's some really nice work on Drifter as well, which might include some Murray if my ears aren't deceiving me. I also think the solo on Innocent Exile kicks all kinds of ass.

You throw Number of the Beast (probably one of the top 3 metal albums ever recorded) into the mix, and you're got a really nice triple. But I'm sure a lot of metal enthusiasts would suggest that Metallica's first three are better. It's a tough call.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:39 PM   #82
Blue Crack Distributor
Originally posted by lazarus
R.E.M. is another favorite of mine, but Reckoning and Fables aren't two of their better albums. Murmur's fantastic but it's a big step down.
I'll agree that it's a step down between Reckoning and Fables, but I have to put up a fight for Reckoning. If anything, it cemented the jangle-pop of REM's sound. Plus, the songs are good, memorable songs.

There are one or two sub-par songs on Reckoning, but there's one or two sub-par offerings on Murmur as well ("9-9" and "West of the Fields" remain two REM songs I just can't stand).
Old 11-28-2005, 06:30 AM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 05:00 PM
Originally posted by corianderstem
How about REM?

Fables of the Reconstruction

i like this best. i think it's the only thing in here i agree with, and i can't think of anything on my own.

i'd concur regarding the clash also, but i like sandinista way too much and give em enough rope way too little to put it on par with the self-titled album and london calling.

nevermind, i lied.
the first self-titled album
let's go
and out come the wolves

although life won't wait was equally amazing as a 4th album, wolves got me into punk rock, the first one and let's go are the only other two i can still listen to without skipping tracks.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:04 PM   #84
The Fly
I know there's supposed to be 3 albums, but for Interpol, their first 2 albums are a great indication that they will be classic in the near future. The first album, alone, is one of the very best debuts I've ever heard. Antics wasn't too shabby of a follow-up, either. Unless they go totally 180, their 3rd disc will follow suit.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:29 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:00 PM
Nick Drake hands down. Three of the finest albums ever made. Hendrix would come close, but Axis has a few tracks I don't care for. Velvet Underground would be great, but White Light/White Heat isn't a classic in my book. First three R.E.M. albums are amazing, definitely a legit answer. Good case can be made for Costello or The Decemberists or whatever, but Drake is unbeatable.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:40 PM   #86
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Pearl Jam!!! Can't believe nobody mentioned them yet!

although, in my mind Ten will always be towering high above most of the albums.
they were the first to come to my mind too

what about the beatles or the who?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #87
Blue Crack Supplier
Can't believe I didn't think of this before, but Jane's Addiction deserves serious consideration. Until that half-baked attempt at capturing the former glory in 2003, their first three albums were their ONLY studio albums:

Jane's Addiction
Nothing's Shocking
Ritual de lo Habitual

While they may seem too much of the 90's, these guys were truly groundbreaking and original. My favorite of the three changes with almost every listen.

While I think the VU and Hendrix albums are such accomplishments, I'd take these on personal preference. Jane's had the ability to be really hard, nearly on the verge of metal, then sweep you off your feet with a delicate ballad (Classic Girl, My Time, Jane Says), or blow your mind with a tour de force of an epic track (Ted Just Admit It, Three Days, Then She Did). Let's not forget how truly crossover and outside the mainstream Been Caught Stealin' was as a single. While Perry Farrell's voice is certainly an acquired taste, and Dave Navarro has become quite a ridiculous figure in recent years, they had some undeniable chemistry. I'd also have to say Stephen Perkins may be the best drummer/percussionist in rock music over the last 20 years.

Can't praise these albums enough. For anyone not familiar I'd suggest starting with Nothing's Shocking.