An intellectual music discussion #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yay for muse! but showbiz really isn't that great . . .

my vote goes to pj harvey

dry
rid of me
to bring you my love

fiona apple

tidal
when the pawn...
extraordinary machine

tidal- an incredible album considering the fact that she was only 19 years old when it was released.

when the pawn- a brilliant sophmore effort.

extraordinary machine - six years between albums and it gets rave reviews from both fans and critics.

Grant Lee Buffalo

1. Fuzzy(brilliant)
2. Mighty Joe Moon(one of the best albums released in the 90s)
3. Copperopolis (very underated)

Ryan Adams (solo)

1. Heartbreaker :)drool: )
2. Gold (alt country to pop all in one album)
3. Demolition (his demos and b-sides blow away most solo artist out there today)

hippy said:
Sinead O'Connor

The Lion and the Cobra
I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
Am I Not Your Girl?

I was just thinking of her!

Just bought one album and various songs off of itunes since I only have cassettes of her's (and I can't find them right now). I really like those three albums.

The Police

Outlandos d'AMour
Reggata de Blanc
Zenyatta Mondatta

Springsteen

Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ
The Wild, The Innocent and the E St Shuffle
Born to Run

Dylan

Bob Dylan
The Freewheelin Bob Dylan
They Times they are A'Changin

Bjork

debut

Costello

My aim is true
This Years Model
Amred Forces

Dream Theater:
- When Dream And Day Unite
- Images And Words
- Awake

I wish I could say Crowded House as the debut and Temple Of Low Men are awesome, but album #3, Woodface, is easily their worst in my opinion. I'd also put Porcupine Tree if I knew where to start. Steve Wilson's original tapes? The 'album' compiled from that material? Or when Porcupine Tree actually became a proper band rather than just Steve Wilson doing everything? Nice of you to be difficult, Steve Wilson and Co.

Where'sTheLove said:
i have to say Guns 'n Roses on this one:

* appetite for destruction
* gn' r lies
* use your illusion I / II

I was thinking about that!!! The thing is I've only heard #1 and #3 and I agree about them wholeheartedly! :rockon:

From #2 I only know Patience, Used To Love Her, You're Crazy and that's it I think!

Axver, you listen to other bands too? :ohmy:

;)

Zootlesque said:
Axver, you listen to other bands too? :ohmy:

;)

Of course not! I don't believe other bands exist! :mad:

:wink:

If I can, I'd like to add Joy Division to my list. Sure, they only had two albums, but there's enough extra material for a third ... and there was the original 'first' album that was scrapped.

Mine's predictable:

Tori Amos:

1. Little Earthquakes (because Y Kant Tori Read does not count)
2. Under The Pink
3. Boys For Pele

... each of them amazing and individualistic, I don't even think that any of them could be called "bridging" albums to the next ones.

foray

barlowdog said:
For consideration:

The Smiths:

The Smiths (1984)
Meat is Murder (1985)
The Queen is Dead (1986)

You could also throw in Hatful of Hollow, though it's a collective and, as such, may be disqualified.

Good example there...

I'd be a bit hesitant in putting REM down, just because I reckon Murmur is so much more superior than the following two...but that might just be a matter of personal taste.

Also, i reckon LIVE are worth mentioning here.

1. Mental Jewelry (a wonderfully vibrant and melodic album, which, obviously achieves all of the bands musical goals)

2. Throwing Copper (one of the classic albums of the 1990's which still stands the test of time. Brilliant and timeless)

3. Secret Samadhi (Arguably a more accomplished album than the classic predecessor, in that it has a more coherent flow and theme. Shamefully underrated.)

WinnieThePoo said:
first three albums right ?

No, first three albums that are the best that said artist has done. There can be a difference in that.

For this very reason, I want to disqualify Bob Dylan. Because Blood On The Tracks is one of his masterpieces.

intedomine said:

Good example there...

I'd be a bit hesitant in putting REM down, just because I reckon Murmur is so much more superior than the following two...but that might just be a matter of personal taste.

Also, i reckon LIVE are worth mentioning here.

1. Mental Jewelry (a wonderfully vibrant and melodic album, which, obviously achieves all of the bands musical goals)

2. Throwing Copper (one of the classic albums of the 1990's which still stands the test of time. Brilliant and timeless)

3. Secret Samadhi (Arguably a more accomplished album than the classic predecessor, in that it has a more coherent flow and theme. Shamefully underrated.)

I feel the same about REM. Their first three were great, but Murmur is clearly superior, imo. And I felt their fourth album, Life's Rich Pageant, was better than the previous two.

To this day, I still enjoy Throwing Copper once in a while. Great record. Live's hometown is only about 40 minutes from where I live and I have fond memories of seeing them play area clubs years ago.

foray said:
Mine's predictable:

Tori Amos:

1. Little Earthquakes (because Y Kant Tori Read does not count)
2. Under The Pink
3. Boys For Pele

... each of them amazing and individualistic, I don't even think that any of them could be called "bridging" albums to the next ones.

foray

This is easily my choice, too, if YKTR really doesn't count. I thought about putting it down but figured somebody would disqualify it on a technicality. :angry:

I'm still liking the Hendrix choice. Although, Velvet Underground is an inspired choice and a worthy competitor. Maybe, we should just make a poll and pit Hendrix vs. VU and let the people decide.

As for the many other interesting choices, I just don't see how any of them packed as much brilliance into their first 3 offerings as Hendrix and VU did.

Costello is cool, but his first 3 didn't effect Rock legacy nearly as much.

I could get with the Clash if their first 2 were anywhere near London Calling's level. Hendrix and VU basically put out 3 London Calling's to start with.

PJ and GNR: those are laughable. They're not worthy of shining Hendrix's shoes.

REM: To big of a drop off after Murmer

Queen: I admit I'm biased against them. They've never done anything for me. I'd like to hear the argument that they're worthy to challenge Hendrix and VU, though.

Live: LOL

Tori Amos: Nowhere near Hendrix's impact. Good, but not great.

Smiths: Good choice. I just can't say that their first 3 influenced Rock like Hendrix or VU.

Micheal Jackson: Not sure what to do with this one. I'll say that Bad isn't very good and leave it at that.

Beastie Boys: Interesting choice, but I've got a better one from their genre which I'll reveal soon.

Springsteen: Great choice, but he's second tier. Hendrix put out 3 Born to Run's. The Boss only put out one.

####################################################################################

Ok, I'm back with 2 other suggestions,

First, how about Prince? Somebody will have fill me in on what his first 3 were, but I'm thinking he can at least make the second tier along with Springsteen.

Now, the only other fist tier challenger to Hendrix and VU is.............PUBLIC ENEMY. Their first and only 3 revolutionized Hip Hop and are more Punk Rock than the greatest Punk Rock practitioners. The textural ideas they used on 'Black Planet', 'Nation of Millions' and 'Apocolypse' are nothing short of elite. Their impact is on par with VU's in terms of originality.

I'd still vote for Hendrix because of the songwriting, the greatest rhythm section ever and the fact that he created, mastered and ended electric guitar playing all on those first and only 3.

Last edited:
barlowdog said:

A Smiths fan. You obviously have impeccable taste. :rockon:

why thank you. i was going to put them myself when the thread first came up but i only own The Queen Is Dead and a 'Best of'. I still need to get the rest.

Probably the best band of the 80's. Arguably one of the most influencial bands of all time. Morrissey's lyrics and Marr's guitar work are just exceptional.

Hardly any band comes close to them. Except for the Beatles and a certain irish band :wink:

1stepcloser said:

why thank you. i was going to put them myself when the thread first came up but i only own The Queen Is Dead and a 'Best of'. I still need to get the rest.

Probably the best band of the 80's. Arguably one of the most influencial bands of all time. Morrissey's lyrics and Marr's guitar work are just exceptional.

Hardly any band comes close to them. Except for the Beatles and a certain irish band :wink:

Yes, you must get the other Smiths albums. They are all special in their own way.
I think it's a shame no one has mentioned that "certain irish band's" first three albums for this thread. Boy, October, War is a great way to start a career, but I guess staying in it for the long haul and outshining those early efforts cost them votes on this one.

indra said:

I was just thinking of her!

Just bought one album and various songs off of itunes since I only have cassettes of her's (and I can't find them right now). I really like those three albums.

She is one on my all-time favorite artists. IMO, she has only gotten stronger after these first three albums :yes: She has such an incredible voice and she has applied it to so many various musical styles... she always keeps me guessing! :up:

And I second Bjork as well :yes:

barlowdog said:

I think it's a shame no one has mentioned that "certain irish band's" first three albums for this thread. Boy, October, War is a great way to start a career, but I guess staying in it for the long haul and outshining those early efforts cost them votes on this one.

yeh those first three kinda get lost in the traslation when you compare them with masterpieces like The Joshua Tree and Achtung baby.

Layton said:

PJ and GNR: those are laughable. They're not worthy of shining Hendrix's shoes.

Oh please! We are not talking just 'guitar ability' here! Whatever anyone says about GNR, they fucking ruled from 1987 to 1993. Whether it was their ability to make kick ass hard rock like Welcome To The Jungle or beautiful orchestral songs like November Rain. That's my opinion anyway. And Pearl Jam laughable? You've got to be kidding me.

Layton said:

Now, the only other fist tier challenger to Hendrix and VU is.............PUBLIC ENEMY. Their first and only 3 revolutionized Hip Hop and are more Punk Rock than the greatest Punk Rock practitioners. The textural ideas they used on 'Black Planet', 'Nation of Millions' and 'Apocolypse' are nothing short of elite. Their impact is on par with VU's in terms of originality.

um, "yo! bum rush the show" was PE's first album. and they're still putting albums out.

a better choice in hip hop would be ice cube. amerikkka's most wanted, death certificate, and the predator are pretty widely considered to be his 3 best.

Back
Top Bottom