an indepth look, and further reasons to hate avril lavigne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was a pretty funny article. I liked it. I dont know how many times I've also told people that just because they shop at the Hot Topic doesnt mean they're punk rock.

well not quite everyone...but I suppose I don't count with you...that's ok,to each his own.
"hate" is a very strong word....I don't have net time or inclination to follow the link or read the related threads, but I know I hear her voice over shopping centre PA's and she sounds a lot better than some of the other "music " they play....imho.
I wish ppl would try to direct their hate towards something truly hateable...I can't believe the xenophobia and sweeping generalisations of blame I hear so much of lately. Very disheartening.
One day, if ever have any spare net time, I may read about what is so awful about this young woman....I do intend to buy her CD...one day.

Read first, post later ;) . JK, yeah, I dont necessarily hate her or her music either. It's just a funny website, and it makes some great points. Yes, there are far more important things in life to get angry about, Avril Lavigne is definately not one of them. Pop music is completely harmless, it's not going to hurt the music scene, it's always been here. I wish people would figure that out some day.

Last edited:
cass said:
well not quite everyone...but I suppose I don't count with you...that's ok,to each his own.
"hate" is a very strong word....I don't have net time or inclination to follow the link or read the related threads, but I know I hear her voice over shopping centre PA's and she sounds a lot better than some of the other "music " they play....imho.
I wish ppl would try to direct their hate towards something truly hateable...I can't believe the xenophobia and sweeping generalisations of blame I hear so much of lately. Very disheartening.
One day, if ever have any spare net time, I may read about what is so awful about this young woman....I do intend to buy her CD...one day.

You are quite bold! :tongue:

:shifty: I think this is kind of a tired subject. :subject: The kid has some awesome pipes, truly. If something annoys you so much, why focus on it so much? I mean a big argument ppl have against her is that she's trying too hard to be the anti-Britney, focusing too much on image....well why encourage that and perpetuate that by focusing on it yourself? :huh:

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
MonaVox said:
The kid has some awesome pipes, truly.

Actually, that might not even be true. Her album reportedly used lots of pitch correction, and I've heard reports of her not being nearly as vocally impressive live.

well thanks for the advice..I don't think she is alone with her studio pitch correction, but you have saved me $20...always a good thing. There are plenty of other more worthwhile musicians/vocalists on my "to buy" list. I think it was just the straight hair got me in...it was considered so "unfashionable" not so long ago and now "starightening irons" are all the go...what next?
so y..I won't read the links and I won't post on this topic again..sorry. Move on.
crikes Cow, there must have been something we agreed on once.....shirley?
I know..... hmmmmm nope
maybe.....nope
ummmm....nope
radiohead are on my"to buy" list.....yep

that would be"straightening" not "starightening"
heatwave......melt

To be honest I dont see what the big fuss is about, I reckon she's ok, she makes above average pop music, and thats about as far as it goes.

True for some reason she seems to think she's punk, we all know she isnt. I think there are many more worthy contenders for a hate campaign really. To be honest her song are among the few on the radio these days that dont actually make me change station.

" Oh, and here's a bright idea for Avril to prove how punk she is. Let's have her RAP in a song. Because, ya know, most punk bands always include a rap bit or two in their songs. Here's an excerpt from "Nobody's Fool," also known as Avril's audition for Cash Money Millionaires."

LMAO at the last sentence from the website posted above

Diemen said:

Actually, that might not even be true. Her album reportedly used lots of pitch correction, and I've heard reports of her not being nearly as vocally impressive live.

:huh: How do they do that?! gah

MonaVox said:

:huh: How do they do that?! gah

They use a computer program (Pro Tools is the most popular professional audio editing program - lots of bands/musicians use it to record/engineer their albums now). Anyway, one of the functions it can do is take the recorded voice and can actually take notes that are off pitch and shift them back on pitch. Almost analogous to airbrushing out flaws in photos - they can mask flaws in a person's vocal performance. In some cases they use it to artificially let singers hit notes that they actually can't, in some cases they use it just to make a singer sound cleaner or more accurate than (s)he actually is. Which is fine, I guess, if you never do live performances, but if you DO and you use a lot of pitch correction on your albums, people are going to wonder what's up at your live gigs. ;)

Anyway, I kind of like hearing some weaknesses or flaws in singers - like if you listen to Chris Martin's singing, his voice does some pretty weird stuff sometimes, but it's his natural voice and it works.

i always found it funny when seeing nysync on the simpsons, they had this voice machine that made them sound good. otherwise they were complete crap. when i said funny, i didnt mean hilarious.

Cow of the Seas said:
i always found it funny when seeing nysync on the simpsons, they had this voice machine that made them sound good. otherwise they were complete crap. when i said funny, i didnt mean hilarious.

not funny 'ha-ha'...
funny, 'that dog has a breast for an eye'

PRO TOOLS PRO TOOLS PRO TOOLS

PRO TOOLS
PRO TOOLS
a bit of gratuitous advertising
If negotiations turn out as I'm hoping........fly me to the moon .....via LA

PRO TOOLS!!!!! :up: :heart: :bow: :hug: :kiss: let's go...digitech

i think that article failed to mention avril also got started by singing COUNTRY songs at fairs in canada or something.

I could get angry and rant here about how the mainstream is ruining punk rock for the punks. Oh yeah. Avril, she's so punk. I hear she kicks it in the East Bay all the time. She's opening for Lars Fredrickson and the Bastrads this tour. Cuz you know soooo much punk gets played on the radio, and mtv, and store PA systems.
I say I could get angry, but all my angry is starting to just fade to a constant blanket of disgust. The tee shirt rebellion is trying to claim our culture, because all you have to do is buy the clothes and you are punk.
it's like ok #1 no punk has the money to spend on all that crap from Hot Topic. #2 if they did they would spend it on albums and scotch. No doubt.
I already wasted most of my angry of Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Linkin Park, etc etc etc anyway.
Oh well the kids will get bored of it soon anyway.
Punk's NOT dead.

It's just hiding from the pop industry... and kinda drunk and surley.

Its all too much about the labels and categories one must fall into. It seems these days the title you give yourself or someone appoints you is just as important as what you do in your waking hours.
How damn sad for all involved. Punk she is not, but who cares about what genre she falls into anywhere near as much as her? Its never defined someone and made them who they are, these titles and such.

Diemen said:

Anyway, I kind of like hearing some weaknesses or flaws in singers - like if you listen to Chris Martin's singing, his voice does some pretty weird stuff sometimes, but it's his natural voice and it works.

Back
Top Bottom