an evening with u2popmofo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
in the third installment of this series, we take a closer look at a poster who not only en7oy's the song stylings spanning many, many genres, but also shares a strong interest in english football.

tonite...it happens.

u2popmofo...your time in the sky has arrived! behold!

1. what do you prefer more? listening through headphones, or playing your music through a stereo? why?

2. how do you feel about mainstream hiphop acts such as eminem, g unit, 7ay z, etc... do you believe they're innovative in comparison the rest of the pop spectrum?

3. who were your favourite artists/and accordingly, your favourite songs in 1998?

4. give your thoughts and feelings on beck.

5. give us your current impression of wilco, and the direction they're heading with their two latest discs.

6. if music was so strong, it could cure a disease... which disease would you eradicate and with which five songs would you choose to do so?

7. the one band you have not seen live, but must before you die. why?

8. which band is the most progressive in the mainstream these days, and further, which band/artist are you most excited about in regards to their next release?

9. best pop song since 1998? example: britney spears toxic...in that vein.

10. if the smashing pumpkins were to reunite as has some speculation, what would be your initial response?

-----

i love you.

The manticipation is boundless.

Someone said that about my next album.

Someone must have.

Admit to yourself that there's a chance.

~Michael Bivins

Whoa, I just saw this.

I'm at work right now, I may have to wait until I get home so I can discuss many of these questions with my CD collection.

I shall return.

MrBrau1 said:

Can't you just post a picture or draw something?

How's this:

AHalloweenmessage.jpg

:wink:

Thank you for waiting. Patience is a virtue, or something.

1. what do you prefer more? listening through headphones, or playing your music through a stereo? why?

I prefer headphones, because I can hear the production and intricate details much better (I can also listen at high volumes without annoying the rest of the world). A notable second favorite is blasting music in my car, where I can be engulfed and surrounded by the music. Good times.

2. how do you feel about mainstream hiphop acts such as eminem, g unit, 7ay z, etc... do you believe they're innovative in comparison the rest of the pop spectrum?

I have mixed opinions on mainstream hip hop. Some of it has become terribly stale, hardly differing from the groundwork laid in the early ‘90’s by Dre, Snoop, etc….but then again rock/pop in comparison has been pumping more or less the same out since the ‘60’s. Eminem has more or less put himself in a niche where he’s seemingly trying to be controversial instead of put out good music (which he is more than capable of doing).

At the same time, what other genre has acts as innovative and experimental as Outkast playing on the radio and MTV? In a lot of ways, there is more “good/innovative” music coming out of the hip hop genre that is actually getting mainstream play and recognition than any other genre. In my opinion, 2 of the best songs of the last few years have been mainstream/popular hip hop songs (‘Hey Ya’ – Outkast & ’99 Problems’ – Jay Z)

3. who were your favourite artists/and accordingly, your favourite songs in 1998?

Well, this answer will be strange because I have to base my “tastes” of music in ’98 off of what I liked from 1998 in 1999 (I was in Japan for the span of early 1997 through early 1999, and more or less was completely unable to hear popular/contemporary music during that period. Actually, I never even took a step outside of Japan for the entirety of 1998). Then again, you aren’t asking what my favorite artists/songs OF 1998 were, so I’ll be ok answering outside of that period of time:

U2 – ‘Discotheque’ U2 was by far and away still my favorite band at that time, I actually hadn’t even heard ‘Pop’ yet other than this song (it came out right before I left). I remember singing it in my head MANY a time while riding a bike through the streets of Japan.

The Beatles – I was still a HUGE Beatles fan at this time, though I pretty much quit listening to them after I returned to the US (though I still respect and love their songs).

The Cure – ‘Just Like Heaven’ I had just barely gotten into The Cure in late 1996 (freshman year of college), and had purchased 3 of their CDs. Little did I know that they’d end up being one of my favorite bands ever, and end up greatly influencing the kind of music I liked down the road. Anyways, I remember singing this song in my head many a time also.

REM – ‘New Adventures in HiFi’ came out late ’96, and I loved it. REM still put out albums that equaled their “hype/myth/name” at the time. I flat out still loved REM then.

4. give your thoughts and feelings on beck.

Want to know something sad/embarrassing to me? I only own ‘Sea Change’. Yes, I know it’s embarrassing. On the topic of ‘Sea Change’ though, it is one of the saddest yet beautiful albums I’ve ever heard.

Beck is great. Beck makes experimental/innovative music that has gotten mainstream attention and airplay for over a decade, and has for all intents and purposes made whatever kind of music/albums he wants to. Not many other people can say that.

By the way, the ‘Ghettochip Malfunction (Hell Yes)’ Remix by 8-Bit is absolutely fantastic/fun/hilarious/awesome/cool/funny/catchy. It also has a pretty fun video. Check it out. :up:

5. give us your current impression of wilco, and the direction they're heading with their two latest discs.

It’s not too much of a secret around here about my “less than loving” feelings about Wilco. At the same time, I’ve probably been too harsh. I don’t hate Wilco, I actually even like some of their stuff (and REALLY like the song ‘I’m Trying to Break Your Heart’). That being said, they have to be one of the most disappointing bands to ever come out of the ‘hype-engine’ for me personally. I was expecting ‘Yankee Hotel Foxtrot’ to be one of the greatest albums I’d heard in a while after reading so much about it, I even got it the day it came out. I was so incredibly disappointed, and still am.

I completely admit that they’re very good at what they do, but I personally don’t find what they do to be amazing, genius, ground-breaking, innovative, or even unique. Then again it’s all completely relative and I honestly don’t have a problem with them or their fans, and generally really seem to notice all fans have great taste. My only “issue” with them is that I personally didn’t find the hype worthy of the product, and honestly I’m just glad there are bands out there than can inspire, entertain, and deliver for their fans. I can and do respect that, and I think Wilco is that kind of band.

Anyways, while I have this chance to share my opinions…. I recommend fans of Wilco check out American Music Club’s most recent album, ‘Love Songs For Patriots’. For some reason I always think to myself, “Wilco seems to be trying to make music like this, but I actually like this” when I listen to that album.

6. if music was so strong, it could cure a disease... which disease would you eradicate and with which five songs would you choose to do so?

Well, what better “cure” for something than The Cure?(Yes, I have been influenced by the master of puns, Cujo) I took this question to answer with 4 of my favorite non-single The Cure tracks, and added one non-Cure track that actually made sense for this disease: Attention Deficit Disorder (is a disorder a disease?)

The Cure – ‘100 Years’
The Cure – ‘Fight’
The Cure – ‘Apart’
The Cure – ‘Lost’

And the one that actually makes sense for ADD:
Radiohead – ‘2+2=5’ (“Because you’ve not been payin’ attention, payin’ attention, etc.” :wink: )

7. the one band you have not seen live, but must before you die. why?

I couldn’t decide between these 2:
Idlewild
Sigur Ros

Reasons: I’ve been lucky that I’ve actually seen the majority of my “favorites” perform live. These are 2 of my favs that I haven’t seen, and I’ve heard from countless people that they both put on fantastic live shows.

Side note: I actually had to look at my own Interference profile to refer to who my favorite bands are. Me smrt!!!

8. which band is the most progressive in the mainstream these days, and further, which band/artist are you most excited about in regards to their next release?

I mentioned them before, but I’d say Outkast is the most experimental/progressive/influential act in the mainstream these days. They’ve probably had the most mainstream success of any group/artist out there doing such experimental/non-standard music.

Most excited about: Radiohead. I’m sure this was the obvious pick, but that’s how I roll.

9. best pop song since 1998? example: britney spears toxic...in that vein.

Hmmm, that’s too difficult and soon for my sexpertice. Let me respond with 2 pre-98 masterpieces instead.

Since 1991:
Bell Biv Devoe – ‘Poison’ “Never trust a big butt and a smile”. The best line ever, in the history of music. Ever. (I represent, BBD fOrEver!!!!!)

Since 1980:
Morris Day and the Time – ‘Jungle Love’ “Oweeowee oh!!!”

:wink:

10. if the smashing pumpkins were to reunite as has some speculation, what would be your initial response?

“Sweet”

i love you.

I love lamp. I love lamp!!!

Anyways, this was good times. I love everyone who posts in Bang and Clatter regularly and intelligently, I love music, and I love everyone who generally has a passion for music. To everyone else, I love you but I’ve chosen darkness…

Very cool! Very interesting to read your opinions, even though I don't know square one about you. :wink: Looking forward very much to futher "an evening with ..." threads.

I agree with you on Wilco, for the most part. I do quite like them ("Summerteeth" has some wonderful songs on it, and I like YHF quite a lot as well), but don't find them worthy of all the hype Jeff Tweedy gets. But I like them enough to buy their albums.

And thanks for the American Music Club recommendation - I'll have to check that out!

u2popmofo said:
I love you but I’ve chosen darkness…

Haha, nice. Your worst is the best. :up:

And very diplomatic on the Wilco. What you wrote about them is miles from the rant I heard from you on the phone earlier. :wink: Kidding, people, kidding!

HeartlandGirl said:

And very diplomatic on the Wilco. What you wrote about them is miles from the rant I heard from you on the phone earlier. :wink:

:shh:

Hey, that was between "A Man and A Woman"! :| :wink:

yertle-the-turtle said:
I am awed.

By the way I'm loving this entire series of threads so far.

Agreed.

The quality of life at Bang and Clatter has drastically improved.

Despite my best efforts.

Cheers to mr. mofo and mr. lipton.

:up:

great respons e mofo. :up:

wilco have happened to me recently. like, i fell in lov e with them only a week ago.

bt befor then, i relly couln't have cared less.

sorryn for the typos. the tequilas is starting to ht me!

Very interesting. I have to agree on Wilco, I love some of their songs but they are very hit or miss for me. Every time I listen to "I'm Trying to Break Your Heart" I wish I had come up with it, its pure genius. And way to represent with the motherfuckin' Time.

Dalton said:
These are great threads. Who did the second evening with? I saw the one for ElvisP and now mofo - who did I miss?

HeartlandGirl :up:

yertle-the-turtle said:
HeartlandGirl.

haha, nice. :up:

9:09am (MST) is a good time for HeartlandGirl (if she only was awake by then....) :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom