Amway appreciation thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2004, 11:39 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I really pity anyone who believes they will get rich this way.

It sounds dumb, but DeVos and VanAndel started it in their garage and are two of the nation's richest now. I've always wondered how it worked, but apparently it does. And they do donate millions and millions of dollars each year, hardly a scam (let's see, we've got the DeVos Childrens Hospital, VanAndel Arena, VanAndel Museum, DeVos Hall, Richard & Helen DeVos Center for Arts and Worship (aka Grand Rapids Christian High's CAW), etc, etc...)

Old 06-02-2004, 11:44 AM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

...hardly a scam
The scam part of it is that you are trained to tell your trusted friends that you want to invite them over to share an exciting business opportunity that could make them a lot of money when in fact you're true goal is to sell them soap and to get them to do the same to their friends. It's a pyramid scheme and nothing else.

Old 06-02-2004, 11:48 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

The scam part of it is that you are trained to tell your trusted friends that you want to invite them over to share an exciting business opportunity that could make them a lot of money when in fact you're true goal is to sell them soap and to get them to do the same to their friends. It's a pyramid scheme and nothing else.
Yeah, so? If you don't like it, say no thanks. When I think of a scam I think of something illegal. Alticor is stupid as hell, but it works!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:58 AM   #19
New Yorker

Quote:

Yeah, so? If you don't like it, say no thanks. When I think of a scam I think of something illegal. Alticor is stupid as hell, but it works!
It's not illegal, but it's unethical and the ends do not justify the means (meaning I don't care how many hospitals and museums the founders have built; the fact is, they've also made a personal fortune unethically and dishonestly, and they're encouraging others to do the same -- all to their [the founders] benefit).

*Edited for typos
Old 06-02-2004, 12:39 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:57 AM
IT works alright....IF you are on top of the pyramid and everyone else is doing the work. Do the DeVos's and VanAndel's knock on your door and sell you soap? Doubt it....becuase they have "recruited" people to sell the stuff for them while they sit back and watch.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
IT works alright....IF you are on top of the pyramid and everyone else is doing the work. Do the DeVos's and VanAndel's knock on your door and sell you soap? Doubt it....becuase they have "recruited" people to sell the stuff for them while they sit back and watch.
I guess I say, good for them! It's not a scam just because of the pyrimidal structure or the stupidity behind it. You could make the same argument for lots of things. Like eBay, I have to pay a certain percent just to list my item, I go through the trouble of listing it, selling it, and shipping it, but the person on top still makes a profit. Oh well. I choose to use eBay understanding and accepting how it works. If you don't like Alticor, don't join, don't buy their stuff, and don't use the free toiletries you get in hotels.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:44 PM   #22
War Child

Local Time: 04:57 PM
My parents use to sell Amway years ago. Now they just buy it.

I have used Amway anti-persperant all my life. It is the only thing that has ever worked!

To bad I can't post a photo of my dry armpits to share my experience with you all!

(No, I am not kidding )
Old 06-02-2004, 02:53 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Remember folks, this is NOT a pyramid scheme!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:12 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by iacrobat
To bad I can't post a photo of my dry armpits to share my experience with you all!
No need to.

When Keiran had me and other "friends" and "associates" over for lunch last week, he also invited some of his customers (guys with no shirts, as always! ) and had us see for ourselves exactly how effective the Amway/Alticor anti-persperant is!

Wow...one guy had gone three whole days without bathing, and he smelled as fresh as the morning dew.

I'm sold. I am hoping I can build a clientele like Keiran's so I can have similar demo-parties! Keiran is a real party animal.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:07 PM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 03:57 PM
I don't know. My parents used to sell Amway but once they learned a few things about it, they decided to get out completely.

But if it works out for you, then good luck guys!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 02:57 AM
TISM (This is serious Mum) have a song about Amway, its called

'Amway, Amway, Amway, Death, Death, Death'

enough said
Old 06-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Actually, it's run by two gazillionaire Dutch CRC families whose names are on EVERYTHING in this city.

EDIT: and it's Alticor, not Amway anymore.
Thanks, I knew it changed its name but didn't remember to what.

I know some people have gotten very rich, but like all other pyramids, the chances are so small and it preys on the hopes and dreams of the masses, the vast majority of whom will only end up with a garage full of boxes of unwanted products and owing money (this happend to a cousin and several friends that's why I'm so negative about it )

The thing about a pyramid is that only one person really benefits much in the end, and the plan is to keep putting people under you, all of whom will not succeed, because somebody always has to be holding it up for the man on top. The idea that YOU might just be that one who gets rich is what keeps people joining but the odds are probably greater than getting rich from the lottery and I hate to see people get shafted. It's not only this company, there are a lot of things that work the same way and people fall for them every day. That one guy I know has fallen for them all

The thing about recruiting new members who are your friends and family is something that I don't think is right. I hate putting people on the spot, which is why I won't even push my kid's school fundraisers on people anymore.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:51 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Q:what's the difference between Amway and Advance Life Foods?
A:I won't send you to post a letter then.

My memory of Amway is being on my death bed ( well not quite I had just had a baby and was in the maternity ward) and the woman mopping the floor whipped out her Amway catalogue and sold me some washing powder. It was surreal, I was vulnerable, it was expensive, I bought it!!
and that scene in the movie "go"...
Pharoah Keiran
Old 06-02-2004, 08:36 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Can i just clarify that this thread was a parody. I don't really sell Amway. Hell, I fucking hate the bastards.

And yes, we do have it in Australia.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:39 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

The thing about recruiting new members who are your friends and family is something that I don't think is right.
I agree, but that doesn't mean Alticor is a scam, it just means some people are that low.