Amon Tobin needs his own thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
Or at least another one if I've made one a long time ago and have since ceased remembering it.

Amon Tobin is an incredible musician.

All you pitchfork junkies who put great stock in their reviews should enjoy what they say about his four albums:

Amon Tobin: Out From Out Where
[Ninja Tune; 2002] Rating: 8.5 - Review by: Christopher Dare

Amon Tobin: Supermodified
[Ninja Tune] Rating: 9.1 - Review by: Taylor M. Clark

Amon Tobin: Permutation
[Ninja Tune] Rating: 9.8 - Review by: Ryan Schreiber

Amon Tobin: Bricolage
[Ninja Tune] Rating: 10.0 - Review by: Ryan Schreiber

and of his album under the pseudonym cujo:
Cujo: Adventures in Foam
[Shadow] Rating: 9.4 - Review by: Ryan Schreiber

I think that's gotta make him their favourite artist behind Radiohead.

I don't think I've heard of really anyone who's heard of him before.. I think it's time to get the word out.

from allmusic:
Drum'n'bass deviant Amon Tobin fuses hip-hop and jazz compositional ideas with the bustling rhythms of hip-hop and jungle and the bent sonic mayhem of ambient and dub. Unlike rolling junglists such as Alex Reece and Wax Doctor, however, who draw from a softer, "cooler" brand of jazz, Tobin aims to maintain the heat of bop and free, pairing spry, galloping basslines with complex trapset orchestration and shrill, screaming horns. A native of Brazil, Tobin moved to the U.K. in the mid-'80s, when hip-hop was beginning to take hold and the rhythms of breakbeat electro-funk were replacing reggae and punk as the underground youth music of choice. Currently residing in Brighton, Tobin didn't begin seriously making music until college, but his passion for the sampler, as well as the support and encouragement of no less of breakbeat scientists than Ninebar and Ninja Tune immediately convinced him to forgo a university career to focus on music (he was a few years into a photography degree when he put the whole project on hold). He began with a trio of EPs (a pair for Ninebar, as well as the Creatures EP for Ninja Tune) and a full-length as Cujo (Adventures in Foam, on Ninebar). Bricolage, his first LP under his own name, was released in mid-1997. Beginning with 1998's Permutation, Amon Tobin full-lengths followed every other year, including Supermodified in 2000 and Out from Out Where in 2002.

Last edited:
Or maybe my thread just needs a different heading. Where are all the people who pretend to like good music anyway?

I've never heard any of his stuff, but I think I'll check it out. Sounds interesting :up:

Back
Top Bottom