Americas Finest City? A place called ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eliv8

Refugee
San Diego Mayor Restores Motto to Web Site

SAN DIEGO - Jerry Sanders was sworn in as mayor of California's second-biggest city Monday and restored the title of "America's Finest City" to San Diego's Web site in his first official act.

The Associated Press reported Sunday that city officials had quietly dropped the self-proclaimed title from the Web site in August following a series of scandals involving San Diego's elected officials.

"It disappeared as if somehow the citizens were to blame for the problems that we have right now," Sanders said. "Starting today, that will be back on the city's Web site."

The FBI has raided City Hall, a $1.37 billion pension shortfall led the previous mayor to resign and two councilmen were convicted of taking bribes from a strip club owner. Last week, Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham resigned after taking $2.4 million in bribes,

"It's the citizens that make this city great," Sanders said. "It's business, academia, arts and culture, the military that make this city one of the most desirable places in the world to live and work."

Sanders, a former police chief, defeated Councilwoman Donna Frye with 58 percent of the vote in the Nov. 8 election to replace Dick Murphy, who resigned in April.

The former San Diego police chief said he would forgo a big celebration, citing the city's ongoing financial crisis.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051206/ap_on_re_us/america_s_finest_city

as far as major cities in the US that i've actually been to, which ain't many despite having lived here all my life... i'd rank 'em
1. new york (obviously)
2. washington d.c. (i know the outskirts are bad but the main part of the city is beautiful)
3. philadelphia (don't know why but i just like it)
4. boston (too confusing)
5. denver (nice, clean, boring)
6. buffalo (walked down the middle of a main road on a saturday night at 9:00pm like i was walking down a country road in the middle of bumfuck montana... boooooooring)

My survey is still out but we met the nicest people and public employees in Boston this past weekend...we were looking for a particular restaurant in the Government Center...asked a city worker, he told me, BAW and Mrs. Edge..."go down to the second signal (Cambridge) turn right and walk down 200 yahds (yards)!"

Freakin' restaurant (Kinsale) was exactly where he said...thanks buddy! :up:

U2Girl1978 said:
Ooooh the Kinsale is awesome! I went there and got blitzed. What a night. :drunk:

:lol:
If you and I had been drinking during the concert, we would've been fighting like that couple in front of us!!! :drunk: :drunk:
the Drunky Drunkerson's...(one of BAW's favorite terms!) :wink:

On my travels i've been to L.A., San Diego, Tampa, Orlando and New York.

There was only gonna be one winner for the award of 'best city'.

NYC baby! :drool:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
as far as major cities in the US that i've actually been to, which ain't many despite having lived here all my life... i'd rank 'em
1. new york (obviously)
2. washington d.c. (i know the outskirts are bad but the main part of the city is beautiful)
3. philadelphia (don't know why but i just like it)
4. boston (too confusing)
5. denver (nice, clean, boring)
6. buffalo (walked down the middle of a main road on a saturday night at 9:00pm like i was walking down a country road in the middle of bumfuck montana... boooooooring)

You should find an excuse to come visit us here in So Cal, Headache!

i dunno what it is, but it's not Atlanta, that's for sure!

i think i've only been to DC, cleveland, and nashville (does that even count?) as far as major cities go...DC was my favorite by far. (of course it depends where you go, but from a tourist's point of view :wink: )

No debate.

I left my heart in Saaaan Fraaaanciscooooo.

Most beautiful city in America.

Back
Top Bottom