American sitcoms in the 1980s and early 1990s.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallycinnamon78

New Yorker
This was inspired by the 'Full House appreciation thread'. I thought it best to start another one to talk abou the other sitcioms, rather than getting told off for going off topic. :shifty:

The Wonder Years, Punky Brewster, and Small Wonder, all of which were shown on Sky here in the '80s, too. Who's the Boss? Full House, Saved By the Bell, Head of the Class, etc, The Cosby Show, Fresh Prince, Family Ties, the Golden Girls. Family matters with Urkel! Charles In Charge. Eerie, Indiana. Doogie Howser MD!!!!

The older stuff that used to be on in the mornings before school: Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, Three's Company, I Dream of Jeannie, Leave It To Beaver.

Then drama nonsense, like Beverly Hills 90210 - which I thought was quite good during the first 2 seasons.

My favourite at the time was Growing Pains. I was madly in love with Kirk Cameron.:ohmy: Tracey Gold's character, Carol Seaver, was my role model during my early teens. I didn't give a damn that she was not stunningly beautiful, or particularly popular - I admired the character for her immense intelligence, while the majority of my friends were running around trying to be Nicolette Sheridan/ Jennie Garth/ Pam Anderson, blah blah blah. Which might sound pretentious, but as it was true, I really don't care.:) I remember Leonardo being a fat faced teenager who the Seavers' adopted in the final series.

Last edited:
Man, your thread is like a huge wave of memories heading my way. Loved the Wonder Years... as much as Freaks and Geeks nowadays. Doogie Howser was amusing. Small Wonder was awful! God! My sister used to watch it repeatedly and I always picked a fight with her. I watched Who's The Boss dubbed in Hindi :rolleyes: but still managed to like it. For the record, I don't like dubbed sitcoms. Subtitles should be the way to go.

Zootlesque said:
Man, your thread is like a huge wave of memories heading my way. Loved the Wonder Years... as much as Freaks and Geeks nowadays. Doogie Howser was amusing. Small Wonder was awful! God! My sister used to watch it repeatedly and I always picked a fight with her. I watched Who's The Boss dubbed in Hindi :rolleyes: but still managed to like it. For the record, I don't like dubbed sitcoms. Subtitles should be the way to go.

My Two Dads. :huh:

Lol, I remember watching Small Wonder when I was 7 or 8, and being astounded by the fact that nobody on the show commented on Vici speaking in a permanent monotone!

Anyone remember Kate and Allie?

Last edited:
More drama...

L.A. Law. Hill Street Blues (I still love the theme tune). Knightrider, of course! A-Team. Thirtysomething. Moonlighting...

As for sitcoms - how could I have missedTHE BRADY BUNCH!!!!

Last edited:
I remember Kate and Allie. :) I watched ALL those shows when I was a kid. My favorites are still the Cosby Show and Golden Girls.

How about Miami Vice and Hunter? Those were pretty good cop shows. I can't think of any more, I think you guys pretty much summed up my TV viewing during the 80s-90s. :D

Forgot Different Strokes! Wotchoo talkin bout Willis? Also Roseanne, home Improvment, Married with Children, etc etc

The Beverley Hillbillies!

Highlander :barf:

I know three quarters of the world loved Charlie's Angels. Well, I'm sorry folks, but I thought it was shit - appalling acting, stupid plots, and very, very bad hair. I cannot begin to imagine why it became popular to copy Farrah Fawcett's pigeon wing hairstyle. That said, I didn't like the 'Rachel' cut either - tons of nitwits adopted it. "Oh look at me, I'm Jennifer Aniston!" No, you're not, sweetheart - you're an unimaginative sheep with no originality, not to mention a stupid hairdo! I'm obviously just unfashionable.

Does anybody else here remember The Loveboat? None of my friends do except me!

I always l;iked Columbo... although his hair wasn't great either. :wink:

Last edited:
I remember Kate and Allie. :up: Also loved Newhart, my first exposure to Vermont. Home Improvement was great!

Saved by the bell.. one of the best ever... in fact, I think I saw allmost every show on the original post, maybe except the last line

I used to watch the Samll wonder... I think I saw that show the other day... and in spanish is NO fun...

I love Golden Girls.. I always watched that with my mom while eating.... but the best ever (except of Married with children) is...
THREE'S COMPANY... hillarious... even for a 4-5 year old :wink:

:lmao:Er... I assume that you are just being silly now. South Park is a big favourite in my household.

Brings back memories. Going a little further further back anyone remember Three's Company, Benson and Diff'rent Strokes?

Yeah. We mentioned Different Strokes before. Totally forgot about Three's Company though... and Married With Children.

How come no has mentioned Night Court? I loved Dan Fielding, and Bull. :lol:

I know this is just incredibly pedantic - but I always think of the '90s (and other decades) as:

1990 - 1993 = early nineties
1994 - 1996 = mid nineties
1997 - 1999 = late nineties

I know, I know, but I can't help it. I'm anally retentive when it comes to stuff like this! It's not of any great importance really, lol. :yes:

Back to TV...

Mr Belvedere
Hangin' With Mr Cooper
The Munsters
The bloody Addams Family

Oh and yes - of course, ALF! I remember watching an episode where ALF 'sang' a godawful version of the Macca+Stevie Wonder song, Ebony and Ivory. Dear oh dear.

There was another one... I remembered the name before but it has completely slipped my mind now. The main character was Evie, a teenager who was half alien, half human... the theme tune was that 'would you like to swing on a star' song....

Last edited:
Don't forget Cheers either. Some of the best shows were the battles with the other bar , Gary's or something?

financeguy said:
Another one: ALF. Anyone remember it?

I remember telling my family that ALF would be a hit show and they laughed at me. It was on for 4 years despite its ridiculous premise. And Mrs. Ochmanek went on to play Jerry's mom on Seinfeld. I also read she was once engaged to James Dean.

Cagney and Lacey.

I remember, by the time I left the States back in 1992, I'd given up watching Full House. Candace Cameron was going through an unbelievably ugly phase at that point. :ohmy:

Cagney and Lacey ain't a sitcom, well, it was bad that I thought it was funny but I don't it was meant to be.:wink:

trevster2k said:
Cagney and Lacey ain't a sitcom, well, it was bad that I thought it was funny but I don't it was meant to be.:wink:

I know that! I stretched the definition to include dramas, and older programs, earlier on in the thread - hence my previous listing of LA Law, Hill St Blues, etc etc.

trevster2k said:
Happy Days had "jumped the shark" by the 80's.
That's a minor detail. Happy Days is Happy Days, which is stating the obvious. :)

Midnight Caller. The Equaliser.

Last edited:
Perfect Strangers with Balke which had a spinoff called Family Matters with Erkel.

Jeez, I watch too much tv.

sallycinnamon78 said:

I know that! I stretched the definition to include dramas, and older programs, earlier on in the thread - hence my previous listing of LA Law, Hill St Blues, etc etc.

That's a minor detail. Happy Days is Happy Days, which is stating the obvious. :)

Midnight Caller. The Equaliser.

My apologies, mi lady.:bow:

In that case, anyone remember a crappy show called Nightingales with a young Kristy Swanson, I do,:drool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom