American music in 2005

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pookybear

The Fly
I just have to say that I am thoroughly disappointed with the current state of the music taste of the American population. I've been checking the iTunes charts this whole year and have seen nothing but horrendous songs by the Pussycat Dolls, D4L, Black Eyed Peas, Kelly Clarkson, and Fall Out Boy, among others. :tsk:
Wasn't there once a time when people could turn on their radios and actually discover some decent new artists to check out?
So anyway, I'm curious to find out what the situation is like in other parts of the world. And also, how do you discover new music now that Top 40 radio is basically useless for it?

The artists you name are what the young people like and buy in mass - the charts have always reflected that through the years. While rock radio is in a state of flux, there are still stations out there where you can discover new bands.

I don't know that Top 40 has ever been a pillar of new, unique and meritous talent. It's simply a measurement of mass appeal. Again, by young people.

I find out about new artists from reading music magazines and music blogs. In my mind, 2005 was a great year for music - just not Top 40 because I don't pay attention to Top 40 other than when I need a good laugh.

American music is in a rut, I'd say. In my mind, the most important American bands right now are Wilco and The White Stripes, as they seem to be the only ones actually defying conventions and making songs that matter into today's musical landscape.

For every Wilco, Stripes, or Iron & Wine, we have 17 Fall Out Boys.

Terrible ratio.

it's true, though i don't agree about the white stripes. wilco though can't be beat.

cbc radio 3 is available on sirius satellite radio i think. if you have access to it, check it out or go to www.cbc.ca to listen to it online.

it's well worth your time.

pookybear said:

Wasn't there once a time when people could turn on their radios and actually discover some decent new artists to check out?

Not since the 80's.

Except maybe a short time early 90's.

I haven't listened to radio much at all in years (a decade or more), and don't miss it. I find even "good" radio (and there are a few out there, especially if you count internet radio -- check out www.woxy.com it's quite good) irritating as I am now used to hearing what I want when I want it, and you don't really get that on radio.

How I find new music is check out suggestions on forums such as this one (especially from people who have similar taste to mine) and through various friends. Occasionally I'm a bit slow getting into certain artists, but other times I'm one of the first to like other bands. Works for me anyway.

Yeah, the american charts suck, but there were some very good albums by american artists this year.

Okkervil River
Hold Steady
Death Cab for Cutie
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
System of a Down
Bright Eyes
Bob Mould
Sleater-Kinney
The Long Winters
Lou Barlow

and there's probably plenty I'm missing.

i'd venture to say that there's a lot of crap out there in every country. there may be more in the USA, and that's a symptom of the nation being the seat of all the world's media. but all those shitty pop artists tour the whole world, so there's a big market for turds...
but you shouldn't look to charts for good music - there's more McDonalds than any other burger joint in this great land...i think we'd all agree that it's not the best burger, even though they sell the most. we all know a local joint that makes kickass burgers. so go to your local venue, check out local artists - every so often you'll be astonished.:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom