'American Life' by Madonna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popkidu2

War Child
The most appauling song I've heard in a LONG time

I know I'm an eletist music snob, but I'm sure someone out there agrees with me that Madonna's new song "American Life" is the most god-awful piece of trash that has made it on to the radio in a LONG time!

I respect Madonna for what she has accomplished musically. Not a fan of her music (although the album with Ray of Light isn't bad), but between the song she did for Die Another Day and this latest travesty....man, I'm beginning to wonder.

The synthesizer line sounds like some early eighties computer geek got a hold of a keyboard (think Ross in Friends) and decided to make music. The lyrics are so bad, and what the f#&k is that RAP thing going on towards the end of the song. Are you f'ing kidding me? "I'm not a christian, and I'm not a jew". Please, somebody spare me. Is she serious?

When I heard the song I wasn't sure what to do. I couldn't change the channel because I was somehow drawn to this massacre, like watching a car crash happen over 4 minutes.

And the worst part was that it was the #1 song on some radio's daily top ten. What is happening?

On a positive note, I bought a brilliant cd today. Dzihan & Kamien: Refrieked. Great cd. Check it out.

I haven't liked her last two singles much. But I thought Ray of Light and Music (the albums) were both fantastic. That (and her past body of work) far outweighs two bad singles that weren't even on albums. I'm still interested in hearing what she comes up with on her next record.

It works in the HBO commercial (i.e., for those who don't have HBO, it's used in a commercial for their programming). Good place for it, I'd say.

joyfulgirl said:
It works in the HBO commercial (i.e., for those who don't have HBO, it's used in a commercial for their programming). Good place for it, I'd say.
that's funny, cuz that's where i heard it first. i think it sounded overproduced, and way too reliant on synthesizers. everyone trashes the 80s so much, so how come people are still using synths, the most overused musical equipment? techno hasn't really been mainstream in a couple years, and it's time for her to "start" another trend.

Her use of two songs with the word American in it is so curious considering that she lives in England and has spoken with a weird British accent for years.

I dunno.. I guess her music isn't my thing anymore. :shrug:

Diemen said:
I'm sorry, but I disagree. Her cover of American Pie was by far the worst song to come out in recent years.

I agree- that song was horrible. I was at a dance club once when they played the song, and the DJ actually stopped it mid-song because so many people had left the dance floor. :laugh:

KhanadaRhodes said:

that's funny, cuz that's where i heard it first. i think it sounded overproduced, and way too reliant on synthesizers. everyone trashes the 80s so much, so how come people are still using synths, the most overused musical equipment? techno hasn't really been mainstream in a couple years, and it's time for her to "start" another trend.

I agree. Saying it works as an HBO commercial wasn't a compliment! :)

But I haven't given up on Madonna. Call me crazy, but I think she may still have some good music in her. I still have a soft spot for her for some reason. I guess that even though I am not a huge fan of the music, I just like that she's out there. She amuses me. And Blond Ambition was more fun than a barrel full o' monkeys.

Now I want to hear this song and see if it's as craptastic as is rumored.

I quite like Madonna's music normally. I dont own anything of hers, but I respect the stuff she's done over the last 20 yrs (musically that is).

I can enjoy some old madonna songs, but the recent stuff makes me wanna rip my ears off. She totally butchered American Pie which was a cute little song in its original form.

The rap part in American life is hilarious:
"I do some pilates
and I drink a lot of latte's"
etc.

I've heard far worse things.

I dont really think it's all that bad, it's just Madonna. Not much of a difference from anything she's done in the last 4 or 5 years.

Heh, I looked at the heading and I thought, it must be referring to "American Life"!

I don't really hate the song, but I think that for an artist famed for re-invention Madonna has been dragging the whole electronica thing for far too long now. I loved Ray of Light and liked Music, but "Die Another Day" was soulless, robotic, funless tripe and this new one is not much better.

Last edited:
no one should redo american pie...ESPECIALLY not madonna. does she even know what the song means? maybe i'm biased cause i have lots of memories from my childhood involving this song (heh, even though i'm only 18....) so hearing that made me a bit annoyed...but seriously. what was she thinking?

i guess im the only one who thinks madonna's work since ray of light is good stuff.

bear in mind, i dont think its great, but i think ray of light (the song and album) is the best thing shes ever done. her 80s stuff sounds so outdated.

I heard a clip of "American Life" in an interview with her .....I just have to say thank god we won't see any videos for that anytime soon.

One more thing, she keeps refering to herself as a guitar player...am I the only one who has a hard time accepting this?:lol:

lol yeah she is a brilliant guitar player. :rolleyes:

if there is one thing i can't stand is that she has that lame accent she has picked up by livining in the UK. i hate when people move to foreign countries and try to take on their accents. it is offensive and sounds down right stupid.

anyway i am actually curious to read her children books that she is starting to write. now talk about interesting.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
if there is one thing i can't stand is that she has that lame accent she has picked up by livining in the UK. i hate when people move to foreign countries and try to take on their accents. it is offensive and sounds down right stupid.

Mel Gibson anyone??? I think people have completely forgotten he's from Australia.

Back
Top Bottom