'American Life' by Madonna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i've never liked madonna. i'm glad to have no idea that she put out a new song, let alone to have had the misfortune of actually HEARING it.

and i thought she made a shamelss attempt at trying to murder american pie, a song which i didn't really like to begin with. but her cover of it made the original look like a brilliant piece of artwork it was that bad.

i'm not a madonna fan at all...and i sorta agree with pearbear in that her 80s stuff is very outdated...but i don't like her new stuff much either...it's just a matter of taste...

and i've never heard ray of light
:reject:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
if there is one thing i can't stand is that she has that lame accent she has picked up by livining in the UK. i hate when people move to foreign countries and try to take on their accents. it is offensive and sounds down right stupid.
i know! she is such a poseur. one minute she's catholic, then she's a new yorker! then she's buddhist, then she's jewish, then she's spanish, then she's english, i wish she'd make up her mind already on her nationality/religion.

didn't she accept some award a couple years ago with her fake british accent? i can just picture her, giving an interview with her fake british accent, promoting her AMERICAN life album. ugh. :tsk:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
if there is one thing i can't stand is that she has that lame accent she has picked up by livining in the UK. i hate when people move to foreign countries and try to take on their accents. it is offensive and sounds down right stupid.

Well, lots of people who move to other countries tend to pick up the accent unconsciously because they hear it around them all the time... of course the problem with Madonna's is that -nobody- believes that this woman does anything unconsciously.

Oh, and Mel Gibson originally comes from US; he moved to Australia in his teens with his family.

Madonna picked up that phony accent way before she moved to England.. I remember that damn accent in the mid-nineties. :tsk:

I finally just heard "American Life"... my God what the hell is she thinking? If she really thinks her life under layers of yoga, tea and bodyguards is worth making a song about - she is more removed from real ppl than I thought she was. :tsk: :down:

Amen. Ray of Light RULED. Its one of those CDs i still dust off once in awhile to give a listen to. I'm not really into 80's music for the most part. American pie DID suck horribly. And i dont doubt this new one is any better. Of course i'll have to hear it to decide. ...

Want a shitty song??? Listen to Jason Mraz's "The Remedy"

*blood spouts from ears* just thinking about it

Ali Rose said:

Want a shitty song??? Listen to Jason Mraz's "The Remedy"

*blood spouts from ears* just thinking about it

No shat...

I had the pleasure of seeing Jason Mraz opening up for DMB a few months back and it was like I was right back at a frat party. :tsk: Of course, in concert, he was doing all reggae-tinged cover songs it seemed. :barf:

my roommate has horrible music taste...and she LOVES jason mraz *weeps*...his songs remind me of early 90s crap music...and worse of all, he even DRESSES like early 90s crap...i can't handle how inane his music is! he came to our campus and did a free show a few months ago, so now half the campus loves him :crack:

bayernfc said:

One more thing, she keeps refering to herself as a guitar player...am I the only one who has a hard time accepting this?:lol:

Wasn't it Noel Gallagher who made the comment when he saw her playing the guitar in concert (why he was at a concert of hers I have no idea) that "it looked like she was having a little trouble with the bar chords ;) "

Okay, who saw that horrible Madonna On Stage thing with Carson Daly last night on MTV? God, it was painful. On the one hand, in theory, it was fun to see her just being herself playing with a live band in a small place. But the reality of it was somehow uncomfortable because while I think she's a great artist (sometimes), dancer and creative director, she's a mediocre singer and a downright terrible lyricist. When you take away the studio sound with all the atmosphere, when you're just left with Madonna and a band, you really see how on her own she is much, much less than the sum of the parts.

The lyrics on this new record sound like bad high school poetry--simple sentences (most of which seem to begin with "I") expressing simple emotions. There's no art, no poetry, just I I I , me me me, I used to be shallow, now I'm spiritual (and she doesn't seem to recognize how her need to "share" her newfound spirituality is just as ego-driven as when she was just a material girl.)

Bring back the material girl--in her case, it's more authentic and interesting.

I can't, however, fault her for the British accent. I pick up accents so easily, it's embarrassing. A month in Paris and I was speaking English with a French accent. If Madonna hung out with Brits before moving to England, I totally get why she adopted the accent. It may have been completely unconscious (although in her case, it could just as easily have been consciously affected, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt given my own experiences with accents).

are you serious about madonna and gwyneth picking up accents??/

why the fuck would you do that??
that is the most pretentious load of bullshit I've ever heard of an artist doing...almost

and no...I actually heard last year that she was TRYING to pick it up.

I just chose not to believe it

When I first saw this video, I thought it was kind of lame, and that the song kind of sucked. But I just saw it again, and I have to say that I'm very impressed. Nice work. It's not often that I do a complete 180 degree turn like that. Anyone else like it?

For some weird reason the song doesnt bother me half as much as it used to. It's still pretty cheesy, but it no longer makes me gag.

Back
Top Bottom