American Idol-Season 7 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not saying it wasn't a mess. That's the weird thing. I mean, it was definitely strange. But I was moved. I was kinda shocked at first and then I was just...I don't know. I can't even explain it. It was as if he finally had the maturity and life experience and personal pain to make his words real, even if his voice and the performance wasn't as strong as he used to be. He seemed vulnerable and it made the song...real. I keep coming back to that word.

Yes! And just the fact that it was fucking George Michael and one of my favorite songs of all time by anybody, I may sound a tad biased. :wink:

I think it was posted on the AI forum, but when Paula came on stage for Reynaldo and was dancing, they said something to the effect that they were afraid her chihuahuas were gonna come out :giggle:

Yeah, Michael had some nice airtime tonight :sexywink: If we only had binoculars last night :hmm:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, lol.

Yes. He just had a cold and was hopped up on NyQuil. :wink:

Thanks for explaining what you meant.

I actually find the way he sang it on the original version of it more moving to me - I think his hushed, almost whispered delivery suits the song and its haunting urgency (I don't know if that's the right phrase, but insert whatever appropriate description you'd like for the song in its place).

It was too scattered for it to make an emotional connection with me tonight.

Dang, I totally missed Cook's GH commercial! I just saw the Archie one (which was cute) and was all "what the hell? He has a commercial already?"

:sigh: Michael.......... (we need a daydreaming smilie!)

How's this:
prototyp.gif

No, but seriously, congrats to D. Cook.

It will be interesting to see what both his and Archie's albums are going to sound like...

Am I more happy that David Cook won or that David Archuleta lost? Kind of a toss-up. :hmm: No offense to Archuleta, like I've said before, I admit he has a great voice...but he's just so blah. David Cook is far more entertaining...and he has a great voice as well.

Sorry this first recap is late. When I came to the site yesterday, it was down. And then I got busy with other things and forgot to post my recap of Tuesday night.

American Idol-Season Finale: Part One

Cue up the ?Rocky? theme. It?s the battle of the Davids, David C vs. David A. Or as my friend Jo-Jo brilliantly put it, ?Hot vs. Tot.? We?re at the Nokia Theater and the Davids are ready to rumble (gee, this boxing theme is lame). I?m just happy to know I weigh less than David C.

Ryan introduces the judges. Paula is pink and sparkly, just like her pills. And Randy and Simon are sporting jackets but are sans ties. We find out that Clive Davis (fresh from his crypt from the depths of hell) and Andrew Lloyd Webber are back to act as mentors. And I?m sure Clive will give us a snooze-inducing sales report Wednesday night. That?s bathroom break time.

David A won the coin toss and will go second. But do the judges have any last minute advice for the Rumbling Ds? Randy tells us that they have to bring everything; it?s a duel for the King of the Nokia. Paula advises the final two to enjoy themselves, soak it up, and may the best man win. Apparently this is also her mantra when she goes out to Les Deux on ladies night. Simon tells the Davids they must have a desire to win and they should hate their opponent. The Davids trade sweet comments to each other because unlike Simon, they don?t have lumps of coal where their hearts should be.

First Round-Clive Davis? Pick

Clive picks U2?s iconic ?I Still Haven?t Found What I?m Looking For? for David C. Okay, now I have to like Clive just a wee bit. I?ve been a huge U2 for more than half my life, and if any contestant is up to the challenge, it?s David C. He?s in fine form in both voice and performance. He connects with the lyrics and the audience. David C is so ready to rock some giant rock stage. Is he ?even better than the real thing?? Not exactly, but he is worthy. Can you imagine Kristy Lee making this song into a hoe-down? Eesh!!

For lil David A, Clive picks the Elton John classic, ?Don?t Let the Sun Go Down on Me.? At first, the performance starts as standard issue David A fare, but as the song gets going his performance gets stronger. He seems to have cut the puppet strings, and shows a lot more energy and wee bit more artistry on stage. Already, tweeners are planning on decorating their bedrooms in full David A regalia.

Round Two-New Song Contestants' Choice

As you probably heard by now, AI sponsored a songwriting contest. I didn?t have the stomach to listen to them, but David C and David A did. David C chose ?Dream Big? for the second round. I?m not blown away. ?Dream Big? sounds like a track even the DAUGHTRY! would have rejected for being too derivative. The song is chockfull of clich?s but that?s to be expected for an Idol coronation wannabe song. David C gives this song his all, and seriously rocks out. Plus, ?Dream Big? is rather catchy in the chorus.

David A sings ?In This Moment,? which is not ?A Moment Like This.? Now, this song sounds like the typical Idol coronation song, which in means it could be a graduation song for the next ?High School Musical.? The lyrics are beyond sappy, but David A?s voice sounds divine.

Round Three-Contestants? Choice

Now it?s time for the Davids to choose any song to sing. During this round, David C sings Collective Soul?s ?The World I Know.? He admits that he has never sung this song before. This could work for him or against him. Some may appreciate David C for taking a risk and others might have wanted him to sing one of his earlier showstoppers. However, I think David C is up to the challenge, and I liked his performance. I appreciate how in one moment he can totally rock out and then show his tender, sensitive side.

David A does not take a risk and sings ?Imagine? by John Lennon, which he sang several weeks ago. Sure, David?s voice is a joy to listen to, but I find my mind wandering during his performance. I barely remember it once it is over. And hold on, judges. Don?t quite crown the boy king the winner of American Idol. Unlike the tweeners, I?m not quite sure I want to see his face on pillow cases when I shop at Target.

Well, it?s now in our hands. Our texting and dialing fingers will determine the next American Idol. Season two winner Ruben serenades us with ?Celebrate Me Home? while footage of the highlights and lowlights of AI?s season seven flash on the screen. I make sure a bottle of wine is chilling in my fridge. Wednesday night is going to be a long night.

American Idol-The Season Finale: Part Two

Well, it’s finally here, the time of the year where I chuck my remote at my TV and scream, “Give me back my life!” Actually, it’s the season finale of American Idol. A new winner of the Idol will be crowned. All of America has been gripped by a very close race, and I don’t mean the race between Hillary and Obama. After over 92 million votes, one of the Davids will be this year’s American Idol. But first Ryan introduces the judges. Why is Randy dressed like a cross between a pimp and Captain Kangaroo?

Huge crowds in Kansas City and Salt Lake City are cheering on their hometown favorites. Mikalah Gordon from season 4 is in KC and Matt Rogers (who?) is in Salt Lake City, which appears to have more blondes per capita than any other US City. Wow, I thought Milwaukee had a lot of blondes.

The top 12 tells us to “Get Ready” and sing while the “So You Think You Can Dance?” crew provides some fancy footwork. The only dance moves the Idol-ettes can provide is some arm waving.

Now David C enters the stage and lil David A joins him to sing a song whose name I don’t remember. Their brotherly relationship is very sweet and they sound good together. But is David C really wearing a wallet chain? Really? Oh, Cookie. You are so better than that.

What is an Idol results show without some Fox product placement. Mike Myers is here to hawk his new movie “The Love Guru.” As Guru Pitka, he serenades the double Ds with his sitar and gives them some sage wisdom. He tells David C he needs to shave, and tells David A that he will be growing hair in weird places. And I need a drink.

Speaking of drinking, Syesha is now singing “Waiting for You.” However, I would like to thank Idol for teaming her up with someone a bit more current, Seal. Remember Kat’s befuddled look when she was teamed with Meatloaf? You think Kat would used to old men.

Next, Jason sings one of the highlights of the season, “Hallelujah.” I could do without the squeeing from the peanut gallery. And why isn’t he singing with someone? Are Harold and Kumar not available?

Hey look! It’s Mindy Doo!

It’s the final pimpmercial of season seven. The contestants sing “Let the Good Times Roll” while scenes from past pimpmercials roll across the screen. Cookie, I love you. But if I never see you in a lime green matador outfit, it will be too soon.

Top 6 girls sing a medley of Donna Summer hits and are soon joined by the Queen of Disco. I just love Brooke’s dress. It’s so retro. And I know Amanda would rather be hanging out at some biker bar, swigging from a bottle of Jack, but could she look a bit more enthused? She isn’t so much “Hot Stuff” as much as she is “Lukewarm Matter.”

A brand new duo, Shocking Departures, featuring Idol bootees, Carly and Michael entertain us with “The Letter.” My letter to Carly and Michael is Zzzzzz............

Speaking of Zzzzzz...., Jimmy Kimmel is on board to roast Ryan and the judges, and give an overview of the season. Did we really have to revisit Simon’s pepper mill nipples?

Now it’s time for the top 6 guys to sing a Bryan Adams’ medley, and Bryan Adams joins them. I think they sound better than the girls. Right now David A is thinking, “”Summer of ‘69”” was like a million years ago!”

An Idol experience at Disney? What could be cheesier?

Joined by ZZ Top, David C sings their classic, “Sharp-Dressed Man.” David C is having the time of his life, and gives us a peek of what one of his concerts would be like. I can’t wait for his solo tour.

We go back to Kansas City, and Miss Gentry, David C’s music teacher is ready to rock in her David C T-shirt.

Brooke is joined by Graham Nash and they sing “Teach Your Children Well.” They sound terrific and I am so happy Brooke refrains from stopping and starting.

The Jonas Brothers come on the stage, and because I’m out of the training bra stage, I decide to check out what’s happening on “Law and Order.” Yea, the Jonas Brothers are cute, but too bad their testicles haven’t descended yet.

Aww, look at the cougar Ryan found on Match.com. His new love, Pat, helps introduce the “Best of the Worst.” I wonder if Alexis Cohen is actressing or not. However, we don’t have to worry about Reynaldo Lupuz. He is back to entertain us with “I Am Your Brother.” This time he is backed up by the USC Trojans band and cheerleaders. Oh great, here comes Randy and Paula. Simon decides to sit this one out. Chicken.

It’s time for David A to perform and he sings “Apologize” with OneRepublic. So this is what the kids are listening to, Mildred? I wish someone would apologize to me for taking five minutes of results and stretching it to two hours.

Last year’s winner, Jordin, sings her new single “One Step at a Time.” Sadly, her dress looks like a “Project Runway” reject. Damn, still a half hour to go ‘til the results.

Gee, those Pips sure look like Ben Stiller, Jack Black, and Robert Downey, Jr.

Season four’s winner, Carrie Underwood, sings “Last Name.” Sorry, she’s not my Idol cup of tea. Is it the results yet?

Now it’s time for the top 12 group sing. The two Davids, and this season’s losers sing a medley of George Michael hits. Ooh, Cookie looks absolutely resplendent in a suit and tie. And I’m jonesing for Brookie’s frock. But George Michael comes out to show them how it’s done. He sings “Praying for Time” and it’s goosebump city. He truly has one of the best blue-eyed soul voices around.

Before we get to the results, the judges have some last minute words for the final two. Randy says that David A and David C are both winners, dude. Paula gives her usual Hallmark sentiments of “It’s not the finale; it’s the beginning.” And Simon actually apologizes to Cookie. I never thought he had it in him.

Now it’s time for the results. And the winner of American Idol Season Seven is...DAVID COOK!!!!!! OMG!!! SQUEEE!!!

David is clearly overwhelmed and his heartfelt tears are touching. I’m positively verklempt and so proud of my fellow Word Nerd. I hope when he finally gets into the studio to lay down some tracks for his first post-AI CD, the powers that be have faith in him as an artist. I want him to make the music he wants to really make. Is that too much to ask? I’ve been impressed with David throughout most of the season. Not only is he very talented, he’s also a total mensch. I like that in a person.

Well, that’s it, my last Idol recap of the season. It’s time for me to take a well-deserved break. See you next year, kids.

I'd completely forgotten about David Hernandez ... and I totally thought he was awesome at the beginning! :lol:

Wow, so I'm the lone dissenter on George? I think he's a fantastic singer, and that's one of my all-time favorite songs, but I thought it was kind of a mess. The performance, his voice ... it all seemed off to me.

Did he murmur something to Seacrest about having a cold afterwards, though? I missed what he said. If that's the case, that explains a lot.

I wasn't impressed either and I used to be a pretty big fan. He did quantify by mentioning he had a cold, so maybe that was it.

Aww -- he's #1 on iTunes.

...and I can't believe I just bought a song about a fucking magic rainbow.

Ok this picture made our newspaper frontpage today and at first I thought that was an ink smudge on his face from the printing press but it's like that in this picture too...so is it a weird lighting thing on his beard or a shadow of something? :hmm:

I think it's the shadow from his tie or something. The pictures were posted here last night: David Cook Takes Home 'Idol' Crown - AOL News

Cook video here... (and more info)

David Cook - Fox and Friends - VIDEO | American Idol

Back
Top Bottom