American Idol-Season 7 Part 2 - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #451
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Brooke needs to get into pilates or yoga or something and learn how to stop clenching that jaw and breathe. Otherwise she's going to have some serious back problems one day.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #452
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Totally.

The Norwegian Idol dude sang Beautiful Day when they had that "World Idol" show, way back when.

I can't imagine they'd give one country's Idol the rights but not another's.
I didn't know that. I'd always thought they'd never given the rights to AI. I've always assumed Madonna hasn't given her rights either, because other than that one dude who raped "Like A Virgin" in the audition rounds in season 2, no one has ever sung her on Idol either. (I'm guessing she doesn't have the rights to LAV, since she didn't write it. Maybe that's why it was able to be shown.) U2 and Madonna were and still are 2 of the biggest acts in music history, so it would be surprising for no contestant to ever take them on if they could. As a huge fan of both, I'm greatful I've never had to hear my fav. songs butchered, though.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:30 AM   #453
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:36 PM
As I had posted a few pages back in regards to next weeks theme...

The songs will supposedly come from this list of songs
http://www.rockhall.com/exhibithighlights/500-songs/ from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

If you look, there are U2 songs on the list....
- I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
- Pride (In the Name of Love)
- Sunday Bloody Sunday

And the only Madonna on that list is indeed Like A Virgin. I don't see anyone performing that one
Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #454
Acrobat

Well, we still don't know if U2 songs are cleared for American Idol (I think they made the exception for "One" because of Mary J.) -- other countries' versions of the show have ponied up the cash for the song rights, but never AI. I hear David Cook loves U2, though, so I wouldn't mind him singing any of those. I somehow doubt that they'll get all 500 songs cleared, but next week should be great after so many ridiculous theme nights.

I'm sure Archuleta would looooove to perform Pride. That's exactly the kind of song his creepy stage dad would force him to sing. God, that poor kid.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #455
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't want Archu-D2 anywhere near Pride, thank you very much. I could see Cook doing SBS, and Jason could do the acoustic ZooTV version of ISHFWILF, and Syesha could sing Pride, lots of glory-note possibilities in Pride
Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #456
The Fly

Local Time: 01:36 PM
I bet that if U2 songs were cleared, David Cook would be doing the Popmart version of Sunday Bloody Sunday, and the judges would praise him for being original.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #457
Acrobat

Well, we've already established that the judges are idiots.

And I'm not saying I'd want Archie to sing Pride, CTU2 -- it just seems like exactly the type of song that he'd want to sing because of the giant anthemic chorus that has the word "love" in it. He probably thinks it's about sunshine and puppies.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #458
Blue Crack Distributor

I can't believe people are making such a big deal about Paula's flub regarding two songs vs. one in her critique.

It's not some stupid conspiracy and there's nothing shady going on - the judges saw the rehearsals! I don't know why that would be a bad thing. I assumed the judges saw the rehearsals anyway.

I don't know why they just couldn't come out and say that on the show, instead of Ryan making some cryptic comment that basically meant "No, Paula's not on drugs. Shut up."
Old 05-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #459
Acrobat

I don't get it, either. Just saying that and apologizing to Jason would have smoothed things over just fine because he was safe anyway. I think the problem here, though, is that Jason had to go and perform a song that he already received a negative critique for. THAT would suck -- all the contestants were told to step it up for their second song, and Jason was flat-out told by the "nice" judge that it wasn't a good performance... before he even got to do it on TV. I have no problem with the judges watching rehearsals, but way to inadvertently torpedo a contestant's expectations, Paula. He had no reason to even try on the second song because he knew it'd get panned no matter what he did.

All that being said, unless he does something amazing, Jason should go home next week.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #460
Blue Crack Distributor

I agree with both of you in regards to Paula.

And as for the songs, there are SO many to choose from if all 500 got clearance, that I don't know if U2 would be any of the contestants first choices. There's a treasure trove of songs on that list (for a change!).
Old 05-03-2008, 12:23 AM   #461
ONE
love, blood, life

For those of us who are Brooke fans, her album 'Songs from the Attic', that was released a couple years ago on a small label is now up on iTunes and her website www.brookewhite.com . She and her former manager co-wrote and produced it, except for her covers of "Dream On" and "Yellow". I listened to the samples, and I'm really thinking about getting it. It has a Joni Mitchell/Carole King vibe with a little bit of a Tori Amos sound, that I'm really digging.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:47 AM   #462
Blue Crack Addict

I'm going to pretend I didn't just see Brooke White mentioned in the same breath as Joni Mitchell and Tori Amos. It didn't happen.

enial:
Old 05-03-2008, 12:57 AM   #463
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 PM   #464
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:36 PM

A mini-bump in honor of Brooke.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #465
War Child

Local Time: 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
For those of us who are Brooke fans, her album 'Songs from the Attic', that was released a couple years ago on a small label is now up on iTunes and her website www.brookewhite.com . She and her former manager co-wrote and produced it, except for her covers of "Dream On" and "Yellow". I listened to the samples, and I'm really thinking about getting it. It has a Joni Mitchell/Carole King vibe with a little bit of a Tori Amos sound, that I'm really digging.
I found her CD a little while ago (cough) and I really like it! Her cover of Dream On is pretty cool.

Tags
american idol