American Idol-Season 7 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joyfulgirl said:
I'm a DC fan myself but I think it's clear Little Archie's got this thing wrapped up, and DC will be just fine.

:yes: The important thing is that DC will be just fine! No way is he going back to bartending now. He's all set! Let Archie take his title. Poor kid! :wink:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
zoots are you dialing the whole number? or just the last four digits?

I am trying the whole number and texting that way..

Nooo, just the 4 digits!

TO: 5701

MSG: VOTE

joyfulgirl said:

I thought it was the best thing he's done all season.

Mmm...yeah, I definitely disagree there. His original performance of Imagine was the best IMO. That was fantastic. :up:

Maybe mine aren't going thru either cos they want AT&T, I dunno. :lol: But I sure as hell ain't getting any "cannot deliver" messages!

Ah don't worry about it. Archie's victory is sealed anyway! :wink:

oh well, i am off to bed with no votes from me cuz I couldn't get thru.. Guess DC will be fine either way... maybe he is better off not winning... I know he is set for sure..good for him.

I'm just beyond thrilled that 2 of my all-time favorite artists, U2 and Elton John, had songs covered tonight; and that both of the respective performances were top notch.:drool:

U2isthebest said:
I'm just beyond thrilled that 2 of my all-time favorite artists, U2 and Elton John, had songs covered tonight; and that both of the respective performances were top notch.:drool:

And what phenomenal songs both are! :combust:

LemonMelon said:

Mmm...yeah, I definitely disagree there. His original performance of Imagine was the best IMO. That was fantastic. :up:

His Imagine does nothing for me, lol.

U2Fan, vote for DC on 1-866-436-5705. I just sent through a bunch of votes and never got a busy signal, which is sad actually. :(

Simon was so right about Cook choosing the wrong closing song for tonight but it was still beautiful and I still think he's one of the most talented contestants ever. And I decided he hasn't been smug at all, really, but just overcompensating his coolness for having to do so many dorky things like dance numbers and boxing shit. American Idol the title really belongs to people like Archie, but the Cooks get recognized along the way.

I'm not a fan of that Elton song, but I thought he was very good on it. I thought his Imagine was greatly overrated.

How refreshing to see an uptempo song as one of the choices for the coronation song!

You know what would have been funny? If David A. sang Mofo.

I really don't care who wins. I like and hate them both equally. However, David C sang ISHFWILF and did a good job, so I might vote for him.

I can't fucking believe this. I've watched this show for all 7 seasons (the first one I saw was when Kelly did "Stuff Like That There," which fucking ruled and completely sucked me in), and I actually picked up the phone and voted for the first time. I kinda feel like a moron. Anyway, my thoughts:

Round 1:

If any contestant in the history of the show would ever sing U2, I'm glad it was Cook. I suspect Clive Davis (who was so kind to crawl out of his sarcophagus and show up) pulled some strings to get it cleared. Remember when he went out of his way to clear Springsteen for Taylor? I think this was the same thing. And while Clive may occasionally bug the shit out of me, he picked a perfect song. And Cook sounded freaking beautiful on "Still Haven't Found." Loved it. I got worried that he might be losing his voice last week, but he sounded fantastic tonight. Lovely.

I love Elton John, but I don't think I can accurately judge "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me." I HATE that song with a fiery vengeance. I'll give you this: Archie was note-perfect, so I can see how people who like this song loved it. One thing that bugs me about him, though, is that he has absolutely no power in his higher register.

Winner: A tie. I personally preferred Cook, but I HATE the song Archie sang, so I can't be objective.

Round 2:

I've pretty much hated every coronation song that's ever been on the show. The best, prior to tonight, was "A Moment Like This," which still sucks on its own merits. Then Cook comes out and sings. Was the song great? No. But, as Randy(!) pointed out, he sang his ass off, and I could actually hear this song on the radio. Not so much for Archie. He chose the more typical coronation song; again he sounded great, but the song blew and I'm just not a fan of his style. Simon honestly thought that was the better song? I thought he was all about what sells, and I can't imagine Archie's song ever being a hit.

Winner: Cook by a freakin' mile.

Round 3:

Could Simon throw Cook under the bus any more than he did? Damn. I'm really surprised at that, because Cook is his favorite and he's said as much on several talk shows. In any case, I love "The World I Know." I can generally take or leave Collective Soul, but that's a great song, and he sounded great on it. Very sincere, and beautifully sung. And aw... he cried. Heh. It would have been very easy to reprise "Billie Jean" or "Hello," but I'm glad he sang something new. He turned something that wasn't a "singer's song" (as Randy would say) into something that was.

Archie, again, was note-perfect on "Imagine." I was blown away the first time he sang it. Not so much this time, because I was completely expecting it. The reprises are never as good as the originals. And it bugs me that a) he's never sung anything up-tempo that didn't suck aside from "Shop Around," which I loved, and b) he's never sung anything even remotely contemporary without crashing and burning. I'm also annoyed that he completely aped Eva Cassidy's version without being called on it, while Cook has had to deal with CoverGate all season. And he screwed up the lyrics on one of the greatest songs ever written (which, of course, the judges conveniently failed to notice. Arrgg).

Winner: For me? Cook again. I have no idea what the casual viewer will think. I do understand Simon's criticism. But from a "Whose album would I buy?" standpoint, Cook wins. No contest.

Other stuff:

I was very surprised that Randy, of all people, was Cook's biggest supporter tonight. Most of the season, he's been so far up Archuleta's ass that he doesn't even know what year it is (that would be 2008, dawg. Hee. Sorry, the part where he didn't know what year it was cracked me up). Anyway, I have no idea who's going to win this one. Cook had the momentum going on, but (according to Simon) Archie won the night (which I would strongly disagree with).

Cook should win. I don't know if he will. The judges and I were apparently watching an entirely different show, because I thought Cook outsang Archie on every song.

Oh, and I thought Ruben sounded great. He was never my favorite, but he can definitely sing. Well done.

Last edited:
I didn't like either of the finalists, or many of the top 12 to begin with this season, but wow the hate for David A is lulz-worthy. He has been nothing but humble and seems like a nice kid, but people rag on him for it. So what if he sings predictable songs, like David C doesn't? Every night you knew Cook was gonna come out with his guitar and sing some rocker song in his dumb Lifehouse voice, overselling the last screaming note of the song. I'm never buying either of their albums but Arch had the better night vocally by a mile and he has consitantly been the best SINGER on the show this time around. He deserves to win. David C fans can rejoice though that they will get a Daughtry v2.0 album in a couple months.

I don't hate Archie, I just find him dull, dull, dull with nary an ounce of interesting stage presence. Lovely voice, yes. I'm sure he's a sweet kid. But I'm really not interested in some fresh-faced kid singing dull pop ballads.

corianderstem said:
I don't hate Archie, I just find him dull, dull, dull with nary an ounce of interesting stage presence. Lovely voice, yes. I'm sure he's a sweet kid. But I'm really not interested in some fresh-faced kid singing dull pop ballads.

FTMFW.

I'm with you on this. Archie's voice is great, but Josh Groban already has that particular marker cornered. And he does seem like a nice kid (who's unfortunately stuck with a horrible Stage Dad). There's just nothing modern about him, unfortunately.

I have no idea how accurate DialIdol is, but they have Cook winning by a decent margin (none of the, "It's too close to call" business). I don't think they've ever inaccurately predicted the winner, so... hey. Good news, maybe?

I think they were already crowning Archie tonight ... but maybe that will backfire on them? It would be entertaining to see a huge-ass upset, but since I care more about Cook than Archie, I'd rather see Archie win.

Didn't the same thing happen with Clay Aiken? He sang last, and Simon told him he could win the competition, but Ruben still won.

corianderstem said:

I couldn't agree more. Nicest kid ever, never hit a sour note all season, probably deserves the title, but so uninteresting to me. The only thing that made him even remotely interesting is that he's so young. But is he going to be cool at 25? Hard to imagine. If he starts writing songs, maybe he'll be the next Barry Manilow, who knows.

corianderstem said:

LemonMelon said:

:applaud:

I'm soooooooooooo tired. And sunburned! Long ass frickin' day. Got downtown at 10:30am. About 1:30-ish we get our vouchers numbered. We were numbers 1565 & 1566. There were tons of people there, tons behind us who probably didn't get in. No idea how many were actually given tickets. When you got to the front of the line, they gave you actual Ticketmaster type tickets, and they were random. We were on the top level in some sort of "boxes" which had 2 rows, and we were the back row. Luckily the row in front had an empty seat and we could both stand at the balcony. Still really cool to be there. Oh, and there was a NO CELLPHONE/NO CAMERA STRICT policy enforced.

It seemed like the crowd there was a lot louder for David A. than David C. We shouted & screamed/applauded as much & as loud as we could. I thought he did great. Was very cool watching him at the end of 'World I Know' being so emotional. I mean this is it - this is his last performance of the competition. The sense I got from the people around me was they thought David A. won it tonight. But by what y'all are saying, I don't think it's over just yet. We've voted ALOT tonight :shifty: And the night ain't over.

And according to DialIdol.com, Cook is winning this so far... :hmm:

One more thing... the "mosh pit" of girls... Hired from an agency.
wtf.gif

We saw David A.'s mom & family walking around during the day (sans papa). We walked past her as we were heading into the theater.

Met lots of nice people in line as well. One couple had vouchers for tomorrow too, so at least they will be somewhat prepared as to what to expect. And to bring chairs, food, sunscreen, signs, etc.

Last edited:
Lila64 said:
One more thing... the "mosh pit" of girls... Hired from an agency.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I hope they ditch that concept next year. It's entirely lame.

Well, next year the results shows are supposed to only be 30 minutes long, so maybe they're listening to us. I can't imagine that they'd keep the "most pit" around. Most people hated it.

Back
Top Bottom