American Idol-Season 7 Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Archu-d2 wins.......................

I won't be the least bit surprised...

Fucking pre-teen girls! :down:

(ok that looks really bad if you don't read it in context... but you all know what I meant, lol)

Zootlesque said:
If Archu-d2 wins.......................

I won't be the least bit surprised...

Fucking pre-teen girls! :down:

(ok that looks really bad if you don't read it in context... but you all know what I meant, lol)

Peter Brady or Daughtry Jr. is getting the Idol crown, for sure.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Bravo! America actually got it right tonight! Well, only half right i guess. WTF is stoner boy doing safe again????:huh:

ultravioletluvv said:

Bravo! America actually got it right tonight! Well, only half right i guess. WTF is stoner boy doing safe again????:huh:

After eliminating Michael and Carly when they did, America's chance at doing something right is long gone. Now we're just awaiting the inevitable with Chris Cornell or prepubescent Josh Groban taking it all.

In six seasons only two winners have gone on to have wildly successful careers.

Seems to me like it would almost be better to lose :slant:

... especially considering half the people who make the top 10 now seem to get record deals of their own.

It doesn't matter who wins anymore, and I'd say it's better NOT to win because then you're not (as) tied down into whatever devil contract they snare you in with when you win.

NY Times

May 1, 2008

‘Idol’ Judge Admits Rehearsal Guided Her
By EDWARD WYATT

LOS ANGELES — Paula Abdul acknowledged on Wednesday what some “American Idol” viewers have long suspected: The show’s judges sometimes see portions of the dress rehearsal for the show and use that to help formulate their comments on the evening’s live performance.

The issue came up on Wednesday as Ms. Abdul, one of the three judges on “Idol,” the Fox talent competition, tried to explain comments she made during Tuesday evening’s live broadcast, in which she offered a critique of a performance that had not yet taken place.

After being informed of her error during the broadcast, Ms. Abdul eventually explained that she mixed up her notes and had meant to comment on another contestant. But during a radio interview on Wednesday morning Ms. Abdul revealed that she had seen part of the dress rehearsal, which takes place about two hours before the live broadcast, and had mixed up the rehearsal and the live performances.

The issue raises questions about the credibility of the show, which each week is the most-watched program on television, recently attracting about 24 million viewers per episode, a third more than the next most-watched program, “Dancing With the Stars.” The judges frequently warn the contestants that they have to inspire and excite the audience each week and that they risk elimination if they let their attention wane. “American Idol” has long promoted that each contestant’s fate hangs on the live broadcast, when anything can happen. On Wednesday online chatter about Ms. Abdul’s mistake included some critics, like Michael Slezak on Entertainment Weekly’s ew.com, even raising questions about whether the judges are given scripted comments to recite about the contestants.

Cecile Frot-Coutaz, chief executive of FremantleMedia North America and an executive producer of “American Idol,” said Wednesday that the judges are never given scripted comments, and that she does not believe that the credibility of the show has been compromised.

“The judges have always acknowledged they occasionally watch rehearsals, but in the end they only comment on what happens in the live show,” she said in a written response to questions about the incident. She added that the judge’s opinions do not determine the viewers’ votes.

This is not the first time that the issue has been raised. Earlier this season Ms. Abdul commented about viewing a rehearsal, telling Michael Johns, a contestant who has now been eliminated, that his version of the Beatles song “A Day in the Life” had been “phenomenal” in rehearsal but less so in live performance.

And in March 2007 an article published in The Independent, a British newspaper, offered a behind-the-scenes look at “American Idol,” reporting that the judges Simon Cowell and Randy Jackson watch the television feeds of the dress rehearsal to “give themselves an idea of what comments they will make when the show goes live.”

The strange episode on Tuesday featured performances by the Top 5 finalists. Each singer prepared two songs for Tuesday’s show, and early in the broadcast Ryan Seacrest, the host, told the audience that the judges would not offer their regular critiques until after the singers had performed both songs.

But after each singer had performed a first song, Mr. Seacrest reversed course, bringing the performers onstage and asking the judges quickly to critique the performance of the first song.

On Wednesday, during his daily radio show on KIIS-FM in Los Angeles, Mr. Seacrest said that Nigel Lythgoe, an executive producer of “Idol,” informed him of the change as the fifth contestant, Syesha Mercado, was performing her first song, only seconds before he was to query the judges.

When Mr. Seacrest asked Ms. Abdul for her comments, she offered her critique on Jason Castro’s “first song,” “Forever in Blue Jeans,” then added: “The second song, I felt like your usual charm, it was missing for me. It kind of left me a little empty. And the two songs, it made me feel like you’re not fighting hard enough to get into the Top 4.”

As Mr. Seacrest anxiously glanced offstage for help, Mr. Jackson, beside Ms. Abdul at the judges’ table, gently prompted her to make comments “just on the first one.” Confused, Ms. Abdul said to Mr. Castro, “I thought you sang twice.” After realizing what had occurred, she then explained that she got her notes mixed up and had meant her comments to be about the next singer, David Cook. But instead of repeating that she thought Mr. Cook had given an uninspired performance, she told him, “You were fantastic.”

Attempting on Wednesday to explain her misstep, Ms. Abdul spoke on Mr. Seacrest’s radio show and said she had seen Mr. Castro’s rehearsal of his second song as she was bringing in a friend to the dress rehearsal audience.

When Mr. Lythgoe changed the format, she hurriedly made further notes, she said, mixing up Mr. Castro’s live performance with the rehearsal that she remembered.

Mr. Seacrest, during Tuesday’s ”Idol” broadcast, was left to remark on what seemed to be Ms. Abdul’s clairvoyance. “Paula,” he said, “you’re seeing the future, baby.”

ultravioletluvv said:

Quoted for truth.

It's funny, if somebody told me 6 weeks ago that Syesha would outlast Michael, Carly, and Brooke I'd have called them a damn fool and a liar. Last girl standing, hopefully that gets her a little voting bump and she can survive another week.

Oh and if that Top 4 songlist is true...I'm sure I'm not the only one who zipped to "U" to check, but there's 3 U2 songs on the list :up:

CTU2fan said:

Oh and if that Top 4 songlist is true...I'm sure I'm not the only one who zipped to "U" to check, but there's 3 U2 songs on the list :up:

In all 7 seasons, i've never heard anybody do a U2 song. For some reason, i thought that the band wouldn't give the rights to the show. Oh well, it's probably a good thing that we haven't had to endure anybody butchering our beloved songs.

Yeah it's funny though, because various Idols have done U2 songs after Idol (Elliott, Daughtry, Clay).

Is it me or have the eliminations been particularly emotional this year?

CTU2fan said:

Is it me or have the eliminations been particularly emotional this year?

Brooke is an emotional basketcase. I know she's human and all, but she could benefit from learning to control her emotions onstage.

"but it shows her vulnerable side, that's what we love about her" at least that's what Paula said.

She crossed a line from charmingly vulnerable to pathetic basketcase. Didn't work for me. I wanted to slap her and say "pull yourself together, woman!!"

American Idol-Top Five Results

For the past three months we’ve seen the faces of David C, Brooke, Syesha, David A and Jason. But for some reason it seems like it’s been three years. After 45 million votes, one of the final five is leaving us. Yes, it’s results night on American Idol.

After the judges are introduced, the contestants do the group sing. Or as Ryan calls it, a tribute to Neil Diamond. Okay, Ryan, if that’s what you want to call it that. This is when I get a drink. Hello, bottle of Chardonnay. Come to mama!

Hey, remember Gina and Constantine from previous AI seasons? Right now they are hosting AI Extra, a chockfull of American Idol goodness. Gina is definitely earning her paycheck if she’s working with slimy Constantine. It doesn’t take much coaching from Ryan to get Constantine to give one of his patented eye shags to the camera. Oh great. Now my TV has genital warts.

Performance night was a bit odd for the judges. Well, it was a bit odd for Paula, but that’s every performance night. Despite her major snafu, she’s still a member of the AI (dysfunctional) family. I saw Paula on one of the cheesy entertainment shows and she said she was just following directions from the producers. If you ask me, she was following directions from Jim Beam.

Now it’s time for some results...

Jason is summoned. Despite some rather dull performances, he is safe. I guess being cute will take you far.

Now it’s time for David A. I swear my four-year-old nephew could take this kid in a fight. Well, no matter what. David A is also safe.

No, I will not be writing recaps for “So You Think You Can Dance.” I need a well-deserved break. Is it just me or does Nigel Lythgoe look like a Muppet?

After Randy shows off his modeling skills, we get back to the results. David C joins Ryan. He thinks Paula just gave him the kiss of death by saying he’s the next American Idol. Oh, that David is such a card! He’s also safe.

Not surprisingly, Syesha and Brooke are in the bottom two. Syesha claims song choice is difficult for her. Brooke tells us she’s finally in a happy place but it might be too late. However, it’s good she found the right meds. Ryan tells them to join their pals on the Sofa of Safety.

Natasha Bedingfield sings a song and I don’t bother to learn its name. Her eyeliner is quite heavy, isn’t it? Why is she shouting the chorus? Aww, David A just got his first kiss from a girl and in front of all of America.

Oh no, not again, the dreaded viewer calls. What did we learn this week, class? Well, Paula gives contestants a break because somebody has to. She’ll also do another video with Randy when he becomes an animated cat or dawg or squirrel. Squirrel? And we learn Simon had his first kiss with Tara when he was only nine. That is more than I need to know, Simon.

Time for the pimpmercial. The Idol-ettes sing “Catch the Wind.” This week’s message is “Keep it Clean. Keep in Green.”

Now it’s time for this week’s mentor, Neil Diamond, to push his latest CD. Yea, like anyone would go on this show out the goodness of their heart. He sings “Pretty Amazing Grace” and Kristy Lee, who’s in the audience, is like, “Hey, that’s my song. Oh wait, it’s not.” The kids in the mosh pit are probably saying to themselves, “My grandma loves this guy.”

Okay, finally we’re up to the announcement of this week’s bootee. Syehsa and Brooke join Ryan once again. Not surprisingly, Brooke is broken and has been voted off. I’ve liked Brooke from the beginning but she just wasn’t long for this competition. I hope some producer helps her access her inner Carole King and she makes a great CD.

Now do I dare ask what next week’s theme is?

I'm actually surprised that more of the contestants who are eliminated don't get that emotional. Is it professional to get all torn up like that? No...but come on, that's gotta be really hard.

It doesn't bother me, I actually think it's sort of cute...but it just seems like we've had more of that this year. Either the contestants are nicer so the folk staying actually empathize with those going...or they're a bunch of jellyfish.

Brooke was already in tears before Ryan made the announcement. Maybe she sensed it :shrug:

I was noticing... in previous years, it seems the contestants have a connection or bond to each other or to at least one other contestant. This year, they all seem disjointed/not together. Age difference/background? Last night Syesha was the only one to shed a tear, either out of friendship or relief of being safe :shrug:

And GG - the theme next week is Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame (scroll back a page or two, I posted info).

Bonochick said:
I'm actually surprised that more of the contestants who are eliminated don't get that emotional. Is it professional to get all torn up like that? No...but come on, that's gotta be really hard.

I agree. Even if I don't care for the contestants, I get a little sad for them, especially the farther along they are in the competition.

joyfulgirl said:
She crossed a line from charmingly vulnerable to pathetic basketcase. Didn't work for me. I wanted to slap her and say "pull yourself together, woman!!"

I have to agree with this. I thought she was charming for a while, but the last few weeks have just been pathetic. It really drove me nuts when she kept doing that thing with her bottom lip.

Lila64 said:
Brooke was already in tears before Ryan made the announcement. Maybe she sensed it :shrug:

I was noticing... in previous years, it seems the contestants have a connection or bond to each other or to at least one other contestant. This year, they all seem disjointed/not together. Age difference/background? Last night Syesha was the only one to shed a tear, either out of friendship or relief of being safe :shrug:

And GG - the theme next week is Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame (scroll back a page or two, I posted info).

Thanks Lila64. I totally had a brain fart and forgot you had mentioned this.

BROOKIE!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Pour out a little liquor for Brooke White. The Brookie monster. The girl with the 18 karat gold heart. The pouty face that stole the show. I will never let you go.

America's sweetheart version 2.0.

Simultaneously the cutest and least stable contestant in the history of this proud reality television competition.

Brooke, you have made your way into my memories and my mind, and from the depths of my God-graced soul you will never, ever leave.

I pray that the sun shines on you each day of your life, and that all your wildest dreams come true.

Sleep.

Sleep tonight.

And may your dreams be realized.

And if the thundercloud passes rain.

Let it rain.

America is still building and burning down love.

But when I go there....

I go there with you, Brooke.

It's all I can do.

I'll see you where the streets have no name, where the streets are lined with blonde-haired, pouty-faced angels.

Yes, the city's a flood.

And our love has turn to rust.

But when I go there....

I go there with you.

It's all I can do.

You will be missed.

:(

taking this bad, aren't you? :hug:

brookewhite_foxandfriends.jpg

Video clip here too!
http://mjsbigblog.com/carly-simon-surprises-brooke-white-on-fox-and-friends.htm#more-4768

Brooke needs to get into pilates or yoga or something and learn how to stop clenching that jaw and breathe. Otherwise she's going to have some serious back problems one day. :nerd:

In all 7 seasons, i've never heard anybody do a U2 song. For some reason, i thought that the band wouldn't give the rights to the show. Oh well, it's probably a good thing that we haven't had to endure anybody butchering our beloved songs.
Elliott Yamin sang One with Mary J. Blige in the finale of season 5. Well, not so much "with." I think he got three words in. :lol:

:lol: Totally.

The Norwegian Idol dude sang Beautiful Day when they had that "World Idol" show, way back when.

I can't imagine they'd give one country's Idol the rights but not another's.

Back
Top Bottom