American Idol - Season 7 - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 PM   #586
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:14 AM
Tackling Whitney Houston is not an easy task, but I though Asia'h did a great job with "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". She didn't blow me away, but she has a gorgeous voice, and she's a fun performer.

I don't have the slightest clue as to what song Kady was singing, I just know I hated her perfomance of it. She should be a Britney Spears impersonator because her vocals and perforomance skills are much better when she does that.

Amanda frickin' rocked "I Hate Myself For Loving You" I don't care what anyone says, she's one of my all-time favorite AI female vocalists. This was definitely her best performance so far. And with the hair and make-up toned down this week, she looked so pretty.

Carly did a fantastic job with "I Drove All Night". I'm a big fan of that song, even the embarassing Celine Dion version. She's growing on me every week.

Kristy Lee, dear, you are one of the weakest vocalists in the competition. Why, oh why, would you attempt a song sung by Steve Perry? I'm not even a Journey fan other than everyone's favorite drunken karoake go-to, "Don't Stop Believin", but come on now. Kristy was boring, bland, and meh x infinity

"Against All Odds" is one of the lamest, cheesiest, worst power ballads of all time. Ramiele actually made me sort of like it. Her vocals blow me away every week, but I actually found her performance lacking in energy and a bit forgettable this week. I don't think she'll have any problems making it to the top 12.

Pat Benetar is one of my favorite female rock vocalists, so if you're going to do "Love is a Battlefield", I think you better bring it. Brooke, the only talented blonde in the competition this year, did just that. I loved her raw, acoustic performance of it. She sounded amazing, and she made the song "her own" without making me hate it.

Syesha's version of "Saving All My Love For You" was really good. I'm not a big fan of the song, and it wasn't her best performance, but she has a stunning voice, and I give her props, like Asia'h, for doing a Whitney song and not sucking.

If God is smiling on us, Kady and Kristy Lee will be gone tomorrow night.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #587
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:14 AM
1-866-IDOLS-07

1-866-IDOLS-07

1-866-IDOLS-07

1-866-IDOLS-07

1-866-IDOLS-07

Old 03-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #588
Refugee

Local Time: 08:14 AM
Yep, Kady blew it with that awful song choice. The only reason i knew what the song was is because my mom loved the soundtrack to the movie Highlander when i was young. But i'm pretty sure that most of the viewing audience had never heard that song before. And the very worst thing anybody can do in this competition is sing a song that nobody knows! Stupid move. She's toast.

Kristy Lee actually wasn't doing so bad until that last note. OMG, how could the judges just overlook that and give her good reviews anyway? It was awful!

Amanda has GOT to go. Joan Jett.. big shock! She sounds the same every week. Carly is a way better rock singer than her.

Ramielle sang great, but she definitely lacks personality. She looked half asleep up there.

Agreed that Kady and Kristy Lee need to go tomorrow!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #589
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: Earth to Blue Crack to Planet Fierce and back again
Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
I think Luke is toast.
I agree!! Luke made such a bad choice of song

Im a David Archuleta fan!..that kid has an amazing voice!!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #590
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by ultravioletluvv
But i'm pretty sure that most of the viewing audience had never heard that song before.
They did if they saw Katharine McPhee do the same exact version two seasons ago.

Loved Carly's song choice - one of my favorites. I think it was a bit too high for her, and came across as too shouty on the high notes. If she'd done it in the key of Cyndi Lauper's version (it RULES; Celine can fuck off), it would have been loads better.

I can't believe Amanda got so much praise. It was her standard schtick, and her schtick is already old, and it's hard to believe she made it this far with her one-mediocre-trick pony.

Oh, and I totally laughed when Simon called Kady a robot - isn't that the same criticism he levelled at Carrie Underwood every week? Worked out okay for her in the end.

I actually liked Kristy Lee tonight, at least until the ending, which was a little iffy.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 AM   #591
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: Somewhere between The Edge, Matt Bellamy and Brian Fallon
i thought carly did a great job! the way she sings and the way she is on stage is very natural.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #592
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Aaaaaaaaaaand...joining Luke in the Thursday night toaster is...Kady! Boring, yawn, meh.

If there's any justice Amanda will be joining her, but I know she has her fans so I think she'll be around for another week or 3.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #593
Refugee

Local Time: 03:14 PM
American Idol-Top 8 Girls Perform

The guys had their time in the spotlight; now it’s time for the ladies. Like the night before, the theme is the songs of the 1980s so I’m expecting some Whitney Houston. God help us. Because Ryan loves the ladies, he puts on a tie to look all fancy. Hmm, a sharp-dressed man, indeed. After Ryan introduces the judges I am left with one burning question? Did Paula forget to undo her ponytail after her Botox injections?

Asia’h Epperson is up first. She sings Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.” Told you so, told you so. Asia’h’s voice is no where near what Whitney’s was at her peak. However, Asia’h does not start off girls’ night as badly as Luke started out boys’ night. Still, that’s not saying much. Sigh. Randy just has to mention that he produced this song. Shut up. No one cares. Simon calls Asia’h a second-rate Whitney Houston. Hmm, I thought the post-Bobby, post-crack Whitney Houston was the second-rate Whitney Houston.

Kady Malloy sings the Queen classic “Who Wants to Live Forever?” Gee, who wants to shut up Kady forever? It’s not a good idea to sing a song sung by one of the most charismatic front man of all time. The late Freddie Mercury had more personality in his overbite than Kady has in her entire body. I agree with Simon that during the interview parts, Kady shows some vibrancy, but on stage, she gives zilch.

Amanda Overmyer sings “I Hate Myself for Loving You.” I’m hating myself for kind of liking it. It’s not the huge trainwreck I thought it might be. Perhaps, Amanda’s “drunk aunt at the biker bar’s karaoke night” schtick is growing on me. Obviously, Amanda’s version can’t touch Joan Jett’s. Amanda isn’t good enough to carry Ms. Jett’s leather pants, but after being put to sleep by Asia’h and Kady, Amanda at least wakes me up a bit. And that guy who looks like a hedge fund manager is her fiancé? I guess opposites do attract.

Carly Smithson sings “I Drove All Night.” I know Celine Dion sung this song, but I remind myself that Cyndi Lauper also did a version of this song, a much better version. Unlike Simon, I thought this song was a good choice for Carly. I liked her voice through out the song. She was able to belt and sing the softer notes without losing pitch. Plus, I think her hair is looking better. Too bad about the fug jeans though.

Kristy Lee Cook sings the Journey tune “Faithfully.” Oh shut up Randy! Though Kristy gives this song a slight country feel, I just wasn’t getting into it. Her voice is okay, but she’s so bland on stage, and immediately forgettable. However, thanks to Paula, we have the word of the day-”Positivity.” I’m sure word nerd David Cook will take note of that in case it comes across in a cross word puzzle.

Ramiele Malubuy sings Phil Collins’ “Against All Odds.” As usual, her voice sounds beautiful. She handles the big notes with aplomb and gently hugs the softer notes. Her voice is a beautiful instrument. Yet, she seems to lack something on stage, as if she’s not quite sure of herself. I’m getting a slight Elliott Yamin vibe from her, someone with an amazing voice but who needs more confidence. But like Elliott, I think Ramiele is a dark horse and will probably go further than others.

When I heard Brooke White was going to sing Pat Benatar’s “Love is a Battlefield” I got a bit scared. Brooke is such a low key, folky kind of girl, so I wasn’t sure if she could handle a rock song. Well, this turned out to be one of my favorite performances of the night. I loved how Brooke was accompanied only by an acoustic guitar giving this song a simple, pared-down feel. And her voice was amazing. I like how it has a little catch in it. It totally sets her apart.

Syesha sings “Saving All My Love For You.” Gee, what did I say about Whitney Houston songs? This is such an obvious choice for Syesha, but I wish she’d try something different. I want her to surprise me. Yes, her voice sounds beautiful but I feel like I’ve seen this performance a million times. Still, Syesha did get the spot of pimpage and will be memorable to the viewers.

I had my favorites of the night. Brooke was the best, and I also liked Ramiele and Carly. Even Amanda seemed better this time out. I think Syesha is safe, too. Asia’h, Kady and Kristy are probably on the wire. I think Kady and Kristy will be in the bottom two, but I kind of want Asia’h to leave because I’m sick of typing her stupid apostrophe'd name.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #594
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

I like Asia’h best
Old 03-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #595
Refugee

I thought Carly was fantastic! You know you fancy someone's singing when you rewind the tape a few times.

It's funny 'cause some of these contestants are so young that they pick these songs that have been played or sung so much over the years it's uninteresting. This was the case with Ramiele doing “Against All Odds”, though her voice was great. I don't think she's a dark horse anymore and we saw a dent in her armour. Maybe I'm just old

And these people need to stop doing Whitney Houston and Celine songs. How many times have we heard Simon over the years saying the same thing he said last night about that? Crikey...pick a song that hasn't been overdone, make it your own - a la Brooke White, and don't sing it exactly like the original artist did it.

I think an Interchangeable Blonde is toast tonight...just forgettable as Simon says. Luke....adios!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #596
ONE
love, blood, life

Any spoilers on who's going home tonight yet?
Old 03-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #597
Blue Crack Distributor

Are there usually spoilers for that? I thought the best we got was Dial Idol's predictions, but I never even put any faith in that.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #598
Blue Crack Distributor

I got nothing... They don't allow spoilers on the AI site, so you have to go elsewhere. And I didn't find anything in my brief search
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #599
Blue Crack Distributor

Come on, east coast people! It's after 9 out there. SPOIL ME!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 PM   #600
ONE
love, blood, life

SPOILERS!!!!!!

Well, you half fucked it up America. Asia'h has more talent in her pinky than Kristy Lee has in her entire body. She shouldn't have made it this far, unless they're planning on allowing her to sing "Amazing Grace" for the next 12 weeks. I am thrilled that Britney Spears aka Kady is gone though.

As for the guys, thank God, Luke is out. However, I'm incredibly pissed that Danny didn't make it through. He was one of the best male vocalists this year. He may have picked a couple bad songs in this round, but he's a brilliant performer and definitely deserved a spot in the top 12. I'm glad Chickieze is through, although I would've preferred Danny out of the two. Why wasn't David Hernandez voted off? He's like the male version of the Interchangeable Blondes, boring, boring and also a little bit boring. His voice is pretty good, but it's not really impressive. I'm thrilled that Amanda and Michael are in though.

On a side note, I really need to buy Blake Lewis' album on iTunes. That performance was awesome, and I was loving the song.