American Idol - Season 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I know 1-2 songs from that list. I wonder what version Syesha will be singing? Hopefully not the kiss of death one :no:

<ain't no country girl here :wink:

I'm looking forward to tonight, if just for seeing Dolly Parton - she's ten kinds of awesome.

corianderstem said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they say something about the whole kerfuffle on show tonight. They usually acknowledge the scandalous rumblings - like last year with the whole "omg simon rolled his eyes when whats his name said something about the troops!"

Heh, Heh...Simon...ya gotta love him:wink:

corianderstem said:
I'm looking forward to tonight, if just for seeing Dolly Parton - she's ten kinds of awesome.

:up:

My parents listened to Dolly a lot when I was a kid, and I have a few of her songs downloaded. I haven't been watching AI this season, but caught the last half hour or so. I was blown away by Here You Come Again. Wow. In retrospect, I'm not sure if it was the singer that was amazing or the arrangement, but it certainly caught my ear!

Why did that girl have to Whitney-fy I Will Always Love You at the end? :( Whitney's overblown version sends me into a blinding rage, but Dolly's version is so fucking gorgeous in its simplicity and heartbreaking sincerity.

I need to get me some more Dolly. :love:

If any of you has any spare time this evening could you please dial the number 1866-43657-01 for me. You won't regret it. Thanks. :wink:

I came in when Ramiele started singing, but as far as I could tell, all of the women except for Carly (who was great) delivered bland, annoying performances. Syesha once again tried to be a diva and failed. Michael Johns is so much more talented vocally than everyone else that it's becoming pretty funny.

I would love it if the finals were David A vs. Michael Johns. The god of all prepubescent American girls vs. a guy with actual charisma and a voice that doesn't crack under pressure.

So as usual my DVR cut out right at the very end. What did Simon say about Michael Johns. I heard the other two and then it cut out.:mad:

ramblin rose said:
So as usual my DVR cut out right at the very end. What did Simon say about Michael Johns. I heard the other two and then it cut out.:mad:

yep.. mine did too!! :madspit:

I have to remember to reprogram the recording for an extra 5 min after end time for stuff like this..

I thought Michael did a great job...:up:

U2isthebest said:
Michael, Jason, and David A. were the best tonight. Michael was far and away the top of the night. His vocals blew me away tonight.:drool:

you said it! :yes:

he was wonderful! Always thought so from the beginning... This guy is gonna go far whether he wins this or not...

U2Fanatic4ever said:
I thought Michael did a great job...:up:

I did too, that's why I want to know what Simon said.

How frustrating. I had already extended it to tape 30 extra minutes after the last time this happened, but for some reason I had Big Brother starting to record right after on two channels so the DVR switched to that show. I fixed that now.

Ha, did I call that or what??? David Cook's pre-song interview might as well have been this:

"I DID NOT ARRANGE ALL THOSE OTHER SONGS. BUT I DID ARRANGE THIS ONE!"

Now shut it, all you David bashers. :grumpy:

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:

Said it was the best he's ever heard him sing. :up:

ramblin rose said:

I came in here to ask the very same question. :lol:

He was great.

Last edited:
I thought Syesha was fine - she didn't completely "Whitney" it out.

There were no big melismas or obvious Whitney moments, other than the key change (I can't recall if Dolly's version had the key change). I'm glad she held the big note at the end instead of sliding and swooping all around with it, which would have been the predictable thing to do.

My prediction:

Kristy Lee lives to sanjaya on another week. Syesha gets the boot, and the internet combusts in a frenzy of "OMG AMERICA IS RACIST" controversy.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
Ha, did I call that or not??? David Cook's pre-song interview might as well have been this:

"I DID NOT ARRANGE ALL THOSE OTHER SONGS. BUT I DID ARRANGE THIS ONE!"

Now shut it, all you David bashers. :grumpy:

I thought he was great tonight! I thought he was great last week. I don't care whether he does his own arrangements or somebody else's but that arrangement tonight was beautiful.

Although Simon didn't have to diss Dolly ('if you can make a song about a sparrow good") while praising David. I guess that's why he said after "I Will Always Love You" that he forgets what a great songwriter she is. I knew she was a great songwriter but when I heard they were doing Dolly songs I just couldn't remember what they were.

Okay, so: Michael Johns. Where the hell did THAT come from? And why hasn't he been doing that every week? Beautiful arrangement, great singing, just... damn. I might actually download that from iTunes. Best of the night by a mile.

Michael Johns FTW :up:

Maddy recorded the show for me cuz I was out tonight, but she told me the TiVo cut-out, like it did for the others who recorded it. Too bad TiVo can't sense when shows begin or end vs. the clock :sigh: Maddy watched it live and told me Simon thought it was the best of the competition. I didn't know the song, but I agree with Simon, at least best of the night. Liked David Cook as well. Syesha started off well, then went into Whitney mode, and that's never a good move. Why couldn't she simplify, Dollify it? :shrug:

And :hi5: to cori for calling the interview! :hi5:

I always wonder how much time the "coach" or "mentor" actually spends with each contestant. It sounds like the contestant already has the song & arrangement picked out, and just performs it for coach/mentor. I didn't see any criticism or "guidance", at least not shown on air. :shrug:

Did Simon say that Michael's song was the best of the competition or the best Michael had ever done? I don't think Simon is giving Michael the praise he deserves.

I think Michael and David A both sounded great last night...but just watch the both and how they perform. Michael oozes charisma, and David A kind of just stands there looking at the camera moving his hand around. They are worlds apart in that performance aspect of the show. Like Lila said Michael FTW.

Also really liked Jason C...he is just so sweet. His voice is calming like the crazy postcard girl said! I love that even more than a power singer like Syesha.

M. Johns had a really nice vocal last night. He was also helped by the black lead guitarist guy who f'ng rocks every week. I don't know where Idol found "Ricky" and his band or whatever, but the backing musicians on this show are often pretty brilliant. Especially that guitarist.

D. Cook didn't bug me as much as he usually does but it still didn't cut any ice with me.

I think tonight might be Ramiele's turn to fade into anonymity.

And, corianderstem, if I can quote you I also have a feeling that...

corianderstem said:
Kristy Lee lives to sanjaya on another week.

:lol: So true. Kristy Lee is sooooooo the Sanjaya of this year.

tmz.com

posted April 2nd

AI contestant David Cook was rushed to the hospital tonight after experiencing heart palpitations and high blood pressure, and released a few hours later. His condition is still not resolved.

As we first reported, Cook was not feeling well during the day and his condition worsened after his performance. Cook was examined by show medics who determined his blood pressure was "far too high." Cook was urged to leave for the hospital during the show, but he wanted to wait it out.

After the show, Cook was driven to the hospital (not by ambulance) and treated by a private doctor to keep everything on the down low. The doctor gave Cook medication to bring his blood pressure down and he will monitored again Wednesday.

An "A.I." exec tells us Cook has been completely stressed out because his brother, who has been sick with cancer, had a setback within the last week. Earlier in the season, just before a performance, David collapsed and said he could not go on -- though he pulled it together at the last minute.

American Idol-The Top Nine Perform

Before I start my recap I have some sad news. Claudette Yamin, the mother of season 5 contestant, Elliott Yamin, has passed away. If you saw season five you probably remember her. If any word defined Claudette Yamin, it was the word “character.” The feisty and funny Claudette was never at a loss for words and was always ready with a witty quip. But what really made her special was her undying support and love for her son Elliott. She was the ideal Idol parent. And seeing her in the audience always put a smile on my face. It must have been so wonderful for Claudette to see Elliott go from an inexperienced singer to a confident professional. I’m glad she was able to relish his success. I’m sure Elliott’s heart is heavy with sorrow, and my thoughts are with the Yamin family. May you rest in peace Claudette Yamin. You were one of a kind.

What’s this? We’re not going to have an episode of American Idol? Instead, we’re going to see a celebrity-episode of The Moment of Truth featuring Simon Cowell? Ha, ha, Ryan laughs. It’s an April Fools Day joke. I thought every day was April Fools Day on AI.

This week’s musical mentor is the incomparable Dolly Parton. The contestants are in for a treat. Not only is Dolly sweet as sugar, she’s also written countless songs that have charted on both the country and pop charts. Many of her songs have been covered by other artists, the most notable is Whitney Houston’s ear-blasting version of “I Will Always Love You.” I much prefer Dolly’s plaintive version.

Brooke sings “Jolene.” Her voice is well-suited to country, but something was missing. I felt like she wasn’t really connecting with the lyrics. What was up with her smiling at some points during the song? Brookie, some nasty skank is trying to take your man. You should be pleading and begging, not smiling as if to say, “Oh, that’s okay. I don’t really like him that much anyway.”

David C shows off his new haircut (I guess he doesn’t have the mother of all comb-overs) and talks about using different people’s arrangements for his past performances. David uses his own arrangement for “Little Sparrow.” He plays his acoustic guitar and gives this song the alternative/emo treatment. I really liked this performance. I felt as if I was at an actual David concert instead of watching Idol, and I had no idea he could do falsetto.

Ramiele sings “Do I Ever Cross Your Mind?” And in the past few weeks, Ramiele hasn’t crossed my mind. She sings and then is utterly forgettable. But she improves this week and seems more comfortable on stage. However, at times it seemed like she was being over-shadowed by the band. I couldn’t always hear her. Plus, she followed David C’s vastly superior performance.

Jason “Postcards from the Ganja” C sings “Travelin’ Thru.” Accompanied by his acoustic guitar, this song is a good choice for Jason’s laidback, hippie persona. His voice sounded good and he gave this song a patchouli-scented vibe. I can imagine him playing this song in the back of a VW bus while all his friends follow Phish around the country.

Carly sings “Here You Come Again,” which could be her theme song. She had a chance at stardom, completely failed, yet, “here you come again, Carly.” Her voice sounds fabulous, but something about her performance leaves me cold. It doesn’t bode well for Carly when I’m thinking, “I wonder how Kelly Clarkson would sound singing this song?”

David A sings “Smokey Mountain Memories.” Despite all the tongue baths this kid gets, like Carly, he leaves me cold. I wish he would have auditioned for AI when he was a bit older and had some more livin’ under his belt. I also think it would have been fun if he sang a more upbeat song. He can be so serious. Dude, you’re 17. Lighten up!! However, I’m sure all the grandmas want to pinch his cheeks and make him some banana bread.

Kristy Lee sings “Coat of Many Colors” wearing a dress of many colors. However, I’m sure her dress could feed an Appalachian family of 10 for a month. I guess you could say Kristy Lee is in her element, and this performance wasn’t too embarrassing. Plus, she’s barefoot ‘cuz she’s country y’all. Of course, that metrosexual tool, Ryan, recognizes her French pedicure.

Of course, Syesha sings “I Will Always Love You.” I actually liked the beginning when Syesha was more simplistic, but naturally she brings in the Whitney at the end, complete with the Whitney glory-note. This could work for her (people vote for glory notes) or could work against her (you don’t mess with Whitney).

Michael is last and he sings “It’s All Wrong, But It’s All Right.” Michael gives this song a bluesy-rock feel, and I think it was one of his best performances. I can imagine him doing this song in concert. And I can aslo imagine all the ladies swooning and throw their unmentionables on-stage if he does. But I do have one quibble-the Ascot. Since when is he Thurston Howell the III?

I actually thought it was a pretty entertaining night. No one gave a completely ghastly performance, but I had my favorites-David C, Jason and Michael. I don’t know who is leaving. But I do know one thing. Paula was clearly channeling Carrie Bradshaw with that silk flower on her dress. Are we going to get some product placement with the upcoming “Sex and the City” movie?

MrsSpringsteen said:
tmz.com

posted April 2nd

AI contestant David Cook was rushed to the hospital tonight after experiencing heart palpitations and high blood pressure, and released a few hours later. His condition is still not resolved.

As we first reported, Cook was not feeling well during the day and his condition worsened after his performance. Cook was examined by show medics who determined his blood pressure was "far too high." Cook was urged to leave for the hospital during the show, but he wanted to wait it out.

After the show, Cook was driven to the hospital (not by ambulance) and treated by a private doctor to keep everything on the down low. The doctor gave Cook medication to bring his blood pressure down and he will monitored again Wednesday.

An "A.I." exec tells us Cook has been completely stressed out because his brother, who has been sick with cancer, had a setback within the last week. Earlier in the season, just before a performance, David collapsed and said he could not go on -- though he pulled it together at the last minute.

OMG! :ohmy:

I hope whatever it is that it's not serious.. Poor guy.. How tough is that to perform when your brother is sick like that..
:hug: to DC...

get better.... just TAKE CARE of yourself!

didn't see this posted..

sad sad news... :sad:

The mother of "American Idol" contestant Elliott Yamin died last night in Richmond, Va. She was 65.

Claudette Yamin had been hospitalized over the weekend -- so far, no cause of death revealed. She recently returned to her home in Richmond from L.A., the Richmond Times-Dispatch reported.

Yamin finished in 3rd place in 2006 on "Idol," behind Katharine McPhee and Taylor Hicks.

i won't post the title of the article cuz it was so disrespectful...
:mad:

here's a full article from the local paper..

Tuesday, Apr 01, 2008 - 12:57 AM Updated: 04:45 PM

Claudette Yamin, the mother of Richmond's American Idol Elliott Yamin, has died.

BY MELISSA RUGGIERI AND CYNTHIA McMULLEN
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITERS
A funeral service for Claudette Yamin, mother of singer Elliot Yamin, will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Bliley's-Central, 3801 Augusta Ave. in Richmond.

Interment will be private.

Mrs. Yamin died last night. She was 65.

The cause of her death was not released. She had been hospitalized during the weekend at a local hospital.

Elliott Yamin, 29, became a national celebrity during his 2006 run on the TV show "American Idol," where he placed third. During the competition, his mother became known to "Idol"-watchers and Richmonders for her fiery spirit.

Last year, Mrs. Yamin moved briefly to Los Angeles. She returned to the Richmond area in February.

"I went to see if I could rebuild my health," she said in a February interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch. A broken hip had never fully mended.

A message posted last night on Elliott Yamin's Web site by his friend Brandon Crowe said, "The world lost a beautiful soul. I can't go into any details at this time except to say that she went peacefully."

Crowe's message on etrainstation.com said the family has asked for privacy.

Family sources said donations in Mrs. Yamin's memory can be made to Jewish Family Services, 6718 Patterson Ave., Richmond, Va. 23226, or to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation's Central Virginia chapter. (Elliott Yamin has Type 1 diabetes).

In addition to Elliott, Mrs. Yamin is survived by her younger son, Scott Yamin of Buies Creek, N.C.; a daughter, Jodi Queen of Encinitas, Calif. a brother, Eugene Goldberg of Pompano Beach, Fla.; and two grandchildren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom