American Idol - Season 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why people think that was a bad choice for Kristy.

It wasn't to my taste by far but it was perfect for the type of artist she would be and for the type of fan base she would have.

My mom said I only love Brooke because she's like a blonde Fiona Apple :lol:

I've been so long-winded about the show before; this time, I'm going for a one-sentence review. Here goes:

We have Ramiele getting screamy on the high notes and getting her ass saved by an awesome backup singer, Jason being a pretty pony with but one trick, though it is a lovely one; Syesha being competent but still forgettable, Chikeze not realizing that he's better than the Luther 2.0 he's trying to be, Brooke learning that performing without the band is probably a smarter move than letting them join in, Michael inexplicably rocking the house, Carly singing decently in that oh-so-desperate manner she has, David A. looking like a Star Search contestant, Kristy Lee making me want to shoot my television with a song choice so cheesy it rendered me lactose intolerant, and David Cook singing a cover of a cover (again) extremely well (again) and the judges are still completely unable to understand that David did not in fact create the arrangement that they are praising him for.

Arrrggg.

(Okay, two sentences.)

I liked David Cook, and I definitely knew he stole Cornell's arrangement of that song. However, I'm sure most people have no clue about it. Here's a live version Cornell performed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYo4tKBG9s

I thought David C. & Michael did well tonight. Syesha & Carly were good, and I agree with the comments about Brooke - the first part of the song was better, before the band kicked in. And while I don't care for Kristy, I don't think tonight's performance will knock her out of the competition. The song "fit" her, and it might have been her best, which still is not saying much. I didn't know David A.'s song, nor do I care to. I'm just not a fan, really.
Who can be going home? Chikezie or Ramiele?

With David Cook they announced it was Cornell's version of Bille Jean before he even sang. They made that mistake before with Chris Daughtry and not annoucing the updated version before the contestant sang. They did it this time and at no point did I think that he ripped it off. Chris Cornell got his props for the song.

Also my opinion that Kristy Lee sang the song that she did because she has not been exposed to that much music. In Hollywood she sang Amazing Grace again....probably because she does not know very many other songs!

Yep, I heard the Chris Cornell mention as well - stop ripping David a new one, he didn't take credit for it. And he was the best of the night.

I loved how Simon called Kristy Lee's song choice "clever." I think he knows that song will make the hearts of all her fans swell and vote for her a billion times. I think Kristy Lee will be safe, and Ramiele will be out. I'm sorry she was sick, but that was pretty crappy.

American Idol-The Top 10 Perform

It’s Tuesday night, performance night and the top ten are ready and waiting to perform. They will be singing songs from the years they were born. And I think a lot of us are going to end up feeling very, very old.

Ramiele was born in 1987 and decides to take a bite out of Heart’s “Alone.” I was an early fan of Ramiele’s but she’s been losing me for the past few weeks. And this performance doesn’t help matters. Her voice sounded screechy throughout and her performance skills were so stiff. I’m afraid we might say bye-bye to Malubay.

Jason was also born in 1987. In fact, it’s his birthday. Jason realizes that he’s an Aries. I’m sure before that he mistakenly thought Aries was a brand of rolling papers. He sings Sting’s “Fragile” while playing his trusty acoustic. He gives this song a slight Spanish vibe and though he doesn’t do anything new, I’m still a fan of his laid-back, coffeehouse performer style. Still, I want Jason to surprise me and do something different.

Like Ramiele and Jason, Syesha was also born in 1987. She sings Stephanie Mills’ “If I Were Your Woman.” If I were a fan of Syesha’s, I’d probably really like this performance. Her voice is in fine form throughout and she fills a certain R & B diva niche that Idol always needs. However, I wish the girls who compete on this show would refrain from the glory note ballads. It gets boring after a while. But Syesha is one of the best of the night so she’s probably safe.

Chickezie was born in 1985. He sings the Luther Vandross’ “If Only for One Night.” After a couple of weeks of high-energy Chickezie I’m enjoying a more subdued Chickezie. Simon may call him old-fashioned but I kind of like Chickezie’s throwback style. I think it needs to be introduced to a new generation. But I wonder if going fourth might get him lost in the shuffle.

Brooke (born 1983) stumbles a bit when she begins the Police classic “Every Breath You Take.” I was a bit worried she might sunny-up this song. If you listen to the lyrics, “Every Breath You Take” is a very dark and brooding song. But Brooke has a brain in her head and she does connect with the lyrics. Sure, her version is a bit lighter than the original but at least she doesn’t sing with a Miss America pageant smile on her face. Plus, I’m such a fan of her voice.

Michael Johns was born in 1963, I mean 1978. Being the Idol oldster, he’s able to take advantage of the Senior Citizen “Two for the Price of One” Special. He sings Queen’s “We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions.” This could have been a huge mistake, but I actually thought Michael was fairly decent. I felt like I was at a concert, having a good time. This can only help Michael because I felt like he was coasting for the past few weeks, and this was one of the better performances of the night. Still, Michael isn’t good enough to hold Mr. Mercury’s leather jock.

Carly was born in 1983 and was named after Carly Simon. Well, now my life is complete. She sings the Bonnie Tyler song “Total Eclipse of the Heart.” Apparently the spirit of Amanda Overmyer lives, because Carly screeched and yelled throughout the entire song. Plus, she seemed way too tense. It was as if she was concentrating too hard trying to convince us that she was intense instead of actually being intense. But can we give the back up singer a recording contract? She sounded great!

David A was born in 1990. What’s this? Oh it’s my AARP card. My fellow Idol watcher kmantoni called David the “American Idol Test Tube Baby” and this is so true. It’s as if he was mixed up in a lab somewhere. Some scientists combined cute looks, a good voice and non-threatening likeability to make the ideal Idol contestant. Sure, he’s talented, but there is nothing there for me to care about. David sings “You’re the Voice” by John Farnham, which is probably not familiar with 99.9% of the audience. I wonder if this will prevent him from getting some votes.

Kristy was born in 1984. She sings Lee Greenwood’s “God Bless the USA.” Well, that should get her a lot of votes from the red states. Because if you don’t vote for Kristy then you hate America, the troops and probably God. Go back to Russia, you commie! Actually, I missed most of Kristy’s performance to wash up some dishes. That’s how invested I am in her.

David C was born in 1982. He sings Michael Jackson’s iconic “Billie Jean.” Hey kids, I remember when Michael Jackson didn’t have a nose that looked like a rose thorn. But onto David’s performance (he actually sang the Chris Cornell version of "Billie Jean"). Stripped of the original’s dance-soul pop sound, “Billie Jean” becomes darker and almost sinister. Though David rarely gets out of his alt-rock box I still liked this performance. I just hope the judges’ comments don’t give him a swelled head. One DAUGHTRY! is enough.

I think this was one of the least entertaining nights this Idol season. I found myself looking at my watch, counting the minutes until the show was over. This is supposed to be the most talented Idol contestants ever? Oh, and Paula’s outfit. It looked like her top was made of shredded disco ball and she was also wearing opera-length, fingerless leather gloves. Who is dressing this woman? Little Edie Beale?

I think David C. is the new frontrunner. David A. made a major mistake with that stupid song choice. Even the judges didn't know what the hell he was singing! Simon was right with his comment about the disney animals dancing.

It's about damn time Michael Johns rocked the house! Props to him!

Ramiele or Chickezie could be out tonight. I liked Ramiele the very first week, but she just gets worse and worse.

ultravioletluvv said:
I think David C. is the new frontrunner. David A. made a major mistake with that stupid song choice. Even the judges didn't know what the hell he was singing! Simon was right with his comment about the disney animals dancing.

You're kidding, right? David Archuleta made a terrific song choice! Just cos the ignorant Idol judges (except for Simon) didn't have a clue about the John Farnham song doesn't make it a stupid song choice. :rolleyes: Now I admit, David couldn't do full justice to that song. His voice is not mature enough to carry a chorus as huge as that. Look up the original song You're The Voice on youtube. It's a magnificant vocal with an almost U2 style chorus. Too bad Farnham is not known worldwide for anything else. :wink:

As for David Cook, my appreciation has waned a bit after learning that it's basically Chris Cornell's version. I must've missed it being announced last night. Well, I mean David still did a great job! But once again the ignorant judges gave him all the credit.

No, but singing a song that I would bet many of the viewers have never heard before makes it a bad song choice. It wasn't a big hit in the US (was it even a mild hit?), and the viewers of this show are mostly in the US.

It's great that you know the song and you like it, but let's be real here.

And yes, it was a very "up with people" kind of song. I agreed with Simon about his theme park comment.

(Edit: I'm trying to Google to see what it did on the US charts. It says #4, but I maintain my stance on never having heard the song. :wink: Apparently he was huge in Australia. So yeah, I think it would be a great choice if this were Australian Idol.)

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
No, but singing a song that I would bet many of the viewers have never heard before makes it a bad song choice. It wasn't a big hit in the US (was it even a mild hit?), and the viewers of this show are mostly in the US.

Fair enough. But the theme park comment does not make sense to me. It sounds like another one of Simon's odd comparisons! :lol: If he had said that Archuleta's voice was not powerful enough to carry the song, then that would have made sense to me.

Am I the only one who thinks Simon's "theme park" comments are usually spot on? Am I the only one who understands what he means when he says that?

As for singers "getting credit" for singing other people's arrangements, I assume all non-standard arrangements were done by someone else unless I hear Ryan or the judge specifically say "singing their own arrangement" or "you did that arrangement, right?" - because it seems to be somewhat rare, and they call it out when it happens.

(See Chris Sligh's Coldplayization of "Endless Love" last year.)

JCOSTER said:
Never mind the gloves, what the hell was she trying to say all night? :huh:

:crack:
rasta2bigsmoke0gf.gif
:crack:

corianderstem said:
Am I the only one who thinks Simon's "theme park" comments are usually spot on? Am I the only one who understands what he means when he says that?

Like right after he made that analogy, my bf and I were like 'omg he's totally right' :lol:

corianderstem said:

It's great that you know the song and you like it, but let's be real here.

And yes, it was a very "up with people" kind of song. I agreed with Simon about his theme park comment.

:yes: Exactly. I'm sure it's a great song. It's just not a great song choice for this show. Choosing a song that nobody knows is a cardinal sin on American Idol.

Zootlesque said:

You're kidding, right? David Archuleta made a terrific song choice! Just cos the ignorant Idol judges (except for Simon) didn't have a clue about the John Farnham song doesn't make it a stupid song choice. :rolleyes:

Dude, David did not pick that song. His dad did. And just because a song is a a good song doesn't mean it should be sung on American Idol. :huh:

corianderstem said:

I agree with Simon too. I mean, just picture yourself in some little theater or watching a parade. . . .Like when they get stars to lip sync in holiday parades and the such. It completely fits.

They just liked Kristy Lee Cook because she sang an AMERICAN song. Good move there.

It was a cheap, pathetic move to get votes for the "All American Girl" of the show. It sounded more theme park than David A's performance, I can tell you that. (And I also thought something was very odd about his performance, but Simon's "animated creatures" comment had me laughing my ass off!)

There's also something else that I was very weirded out by: What the hell was up with Paula's comment about "Couldn't you pick an American songwriter?"

Something about that seems fishy, or maybe it's just the drugs talking...yet again.

corianderstem said:

You are not alone. Simon is usually dead on - no one likes to admit it.

And I've never heard that Farnham song either :shrug:

And of all the songs from 1990, Daddy, I mean David chose that one :der:

1990:
1. Hold On, Wilson Phillips
2. It Must Have Been Love, Roxette
3. Nothing Compares 2 U, Sinead O'Connor
4. Poison, Bell Biv Devoe
5. Vogue, Madonna
6. Vision Of Love, Mariah Carey
7. Another Day In Paradise, Phil Collins
8. Hold On, En Vogue
9. Cradle Of Love, Billy Idol
10. Blaze Of Glory, Jon Bon Jovi
11. Do Me!, Bell Biv Devoe
12. How Am I Supposed To Live Without You, Michael Bolton
13. Pump Up The Jam, Technotronic
14. Opposites Attract, Paula Abdul
15. Escapade, Janet Jackson
16. All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You, Heart
17. Close To You, Maxi Priest
18. Black Velvet, Alannah Myles
19. Release Me, Wilson Phillips
20. Don't Know Much, Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville
21. All Around The World, Lisa Stansfield
22. l Wanna Be Rich, Calloway
23. I Remember You, Skid Row
24. Rub You The Right Way, Johnny Gill
25. She Ain't Worth It, Glenn Medeiros Featuring Bobby Brown
26. If Wishes Came True, Sweet Sensation
27. The Power, Snap
28. (Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection, Nelson
29. Love Will Lead You Back, Taylor Dayne
30. Don't Wanna Fall In Love, Jane Child
31. Two To Make It Right, Seduction
32. Sending All My Love, Linear
33. Unskinny Bop, Poison
34. Step By Step, New Kids On The Block
35. Dangerous, Roxette
36. We Didn't Start The Fire, Billy Joel
37. I Don't Have The Heart, James Ingram
38. Downtown Train, Rod Stewart
39. Rhythm Nation, Janet Jackson
40. I'll Be Your Everything, Tommy Page
41. Roam, B-52's
42. Everything, Jody Watley
43. Back To Life, Soul II Soul
44. Here and Now, Luther Vandross
45. Alright, Janet Jackson
46. Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice
47. Blame It On The Rain, Milli Vanilli
48. Have You Seen Her, M.C. Hammer
49. With Every Beat Of My Heart, Taylor Dayne
50. Come Back To Me, Janet Jackson
51. No More Lies, Michel'le
52. Praying For Time, George Michael
53. How Can We Be Lovers, Michael Bolton
54. Do You Remember, Phil Collins
55. Ready Or Not, After 7
56. U Can't Touch This, M.C. Hammer
57. I Wish It Would Rain Down, Phil Collins
58. Just Between You and Me, Lou Gramm
59. Something Happened On The Way To Heaven, Phil Collins
60. Black Cat, Janet Jackson
61. Can't Stop, After 7
62. Janie's Got A Gun, Aerosmith
63. The Humpty Dance, Digital Underground
64. I'll Be Your Shelter, Taylor Dayne
65. Free Fallin', Tom Petty
66. Giving You The Benefit, Pebbles
67. Enjoy The Silence, Depeche Mode
68. Love Song, Tesla
69. Price Of Love, Bad English
70. Girls Nite Out, Tyler Collins
71. King Of Wishful Thinking, Go West
72. What Kind Of Man Would I Be?, Chicago
73. Get Up! (Before The Night Is Over), Technotroic
74. Here We Are, Gloria Estefan
75. Epic, Faith No More
76. Love Takes Time, Mariah Carey
77. Just Like Jesse James, Cher
78. Love Shack, B-52's
79. All Or Nothing, Milli Vanilli
80. Romeo, Dino
81. Everybody Everybody, Black Box
82. I Go To Extremes, Billy Joel
83. Whip Appeal, Babyface
84. Oh Girl, Paul Young
85. C'mon and Get My Love, D-Mob With Cathy Dennis
85. (It's Just) The Way That You Love Me, Paula Abdul
87. We Can't Go Wrong, Cover Girls
88. When I'm Back On My Feet Again, Michael Bolton
89. Make You Sweat, Keith Sweat
90. This One's For The Children, New Kids On The Block
91. What It Takes, Aerosmith
92. Forever, Kiss
93. Jerk Out, Time
94. Just A Friend, Biz Markie
95. Whole Wide World, A'me Lorain
96. Without You, Motley Crue
97. Swing The Mood, Jive Bunny and The Mastermixers
98. Thieves In The Temple, Prince
99. Mentirosa, Mellow Man Ace
100. Tic-Tac-Toe, Kyper

Lila64 said:

You are not alone. Simon is usually dead on - no one likes to admit it.

And I've never heard that Farnham song either :shrug:

And of all the songs from 1990, Daddy, I mean David chose that one :der:

1990:
1. Hold On, Wilson Phillips
2. It Must Have Been Love, Roxette
3. Nothing Compares 2 U, Sinead O'Connor
4. Poison, Bell Biv Devoe
5. Vogue, Madonna
6. Vision Of Love, Mariah Carey
7. Another Day In Paradise, Phil Collins
8. Hold On, En Vogue
9. Cradle Of Love, Billy Idol
10. Blaze Of Glory, Jon Bon Jovi
11. Do Me!, Bell Biv Devoe
12. How Am I Supposed To Live Without You, Michael Bolton
13. Pump Up The Jam, Technotronic
14. Opposites Attract, Paula Abdul
15. Escapade, Janet Jackson
16. All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You, Heart
17. Close To You, Maxi Priest
18. Black Velvet, Alannah Myles
19. Release Me, Wilson Phillips
20. Don't Know Much, Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville
21. All Around The World, Lisa Stansfield
22. l Wanna Be Rich, Calloway
23. I Remember You, Skid Row
24. Rub You The Right Way, Johnny Gill
25. She Ain't Worth It, Glenn Medeiros Featuring Bobby Brown
26. If Wishes Came True, Sweet Sensation
27. The Power, Snap
28. (Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection, Nelson
29. Love Will Lead You Back, Taylor Dayne
30. Don't Wanna Fall In Love, Jane Child
31. Two To Make It Right, Seduction
32. Sending All My Love, Linear
33. Unskinny Bop, Poison
34. Step By Step, New Kids On The Block
35. Dangerous, Roxette
36. We Didn't Start The Fire, Billy Joel
37. I Don't Have The Heart, James Ingram
38. Downtown Train, Rod Stewart
39. Rhythm Nation, Janet Jackson
40. I'll Be Your Everything, Tommy Page
41. Roam, B-52's
42. Everything, Jody Watley
43. Back To Life, Soul II Soul
44. Here and Now, Luther Vandross
45. Alright, Janet Jackson
46. Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice
47. Blame It On The Rain, Milli Vanilli
48. Have You Seen Her, M.C. Hammer
49. With Every Beat Of My Heart, Taylor Dayne
50. Come Back To Me, Janet Jackson
51. No More Lies, Michel'le
52. Praying For Time, George Michael
53. How Can We Be Lovers, Michael Bolton
54. Do You Remember, Phil Collins
55. Ready Or Not, After 7
56. U Can't Touch This, M.C. Hammer
57. I Wish It Would Rain Down, Phil Collins
58. Just Between You and Me, Lou Gramm
59. Something Happened On The Way To Heaven, Phil Collins
60. Black Cat, Janet Jackson
61. Can't Stop, After 7
62. Janie's Got A Gun, Aerosmith
63. The Humpty Dance, Digital Underground
64. I'll Be Your Shelter, Taylor Dayne
65. Free Fallin', Tom Petty
66. Giving You The Benefit, Pebbles
67. Enjoy The Silence, Depeche Mode
68. Love Song, Tesla
69. Price Of Love, Bad English
70. Girls Nite Out, Tyler Collins
71. King Of Wishful Thinking, Go West
72. What Kind Of Man Would I Be?, Chicago
73. Get Up! (Before The Night Is Over), Technotroic
74. Here We Are, Gloria Estefan
75. Epic, Faith No More
76. Love Takes Time, Mariah Carey
77. Just Like Jesse James, Cher
78. Love Shack, B-52's
79. All Or Nothing, Milli Vanilli
80. Romeo, Dino
81. Everybody Everybody, Black Box
82. I Go To Extremes, Billy Joel
83. Whip Appeal, Babyface
84. Oh Girl, Paul Young
85. C'mon and Get My Love, D-Mob With Cathy Dennis
85. (It's Just) The Way That You Love Me, Paula Abdul
87. We Can't Go Wrong, Cover Girls
88. When I'm Back On My Feet Again, Michael Bolton
89. Make You Sweat, Keith Sweat
90. This One's For The Children, New Kids On The Block
91. What It Takes, Aerosmith
92. Forever, Kiss
93. Jerk Out, Time
94. Just A Friend, Biz Markie
95. Whole Wide World, A'me Lorain
96. Without You, Motley Crue
97. Swing The Mood, Jive Bunny and The Mastermixers
98. Thieves In The Temple, Prince
99. Mentirosa, Mellow Man Ace
100. Tic-Tac-Toe, Kyper

What a great year that was. :heart:

corianderstem said:
Yep, I heard the Chris Cornell mention as well - stop ripping David a new one, he didn't take credit for it. And he was the best of the night.

See, I must have missed them announcing that it was Cornell's version. And maybe I'll start cutting David C. a little slack. He does have a good voice. I think I might just be jealous of the guy. :mad: :wink:

And, yes, Simon's theme-park analogies are usually spot on and last night was no different.

PlaTheGreat said:
There's also something else that I was very weirded out by: What the hell was up with Paula's comment about "Couldn't you pick an American songwriter?"

What a fucking dumbass comment by Paula! Why do you have a British judge then if you wanna be so American? Idiots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom