American Idol - Season 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
American Idol-The Top 12 Results

Before we can get to the results, who is going to be eliminated, AI has some business to take care of. Is it some Fox product placement? Of course it is. Jim Carrey is here to promote the latest Fox release “Horton Hears a Who” complete with elephant regalia. I hope his giant ears aren’t smacking the lady next to him. She looked rather peeved.

After the product placement, we’re up to the cheesy Beatles group sing. Something about the group sing seems off too me, well more off than usual. I think the stage is so cavernous that it swallows up contestants. Also, the choreography is beyond lame. Did Paula do it during one of her less lucid moments? Yea, which less lucid moment? There are so many.

But who is in the bottom 3? We get a brief overview of Tuesday night’s performances, and then it’s time to announce the first possibly eliminated contestant. Carly, Michael, Jason and Syesha are told to stand up. Carly, Michael and Jason are declared safe. Syesha is in the bottom three. She is summoned to the AI Seal of Doom and sings “Got to Get You Back Into My Life” in the most pissed off manner.

Post Syesha’ possible sing-out we get a poltical-themed pimpmerical, and we also get more “Horton Hears a Who” product placement. The top 12 get the Hollywood treatment. Don’t get used to it kids. This year you’re going to movie premiers; next year you could be selling movie tickets. But OMG! Is that Steve Carell? I heart him so much!!

Now it’s time to find out who is the second possibly eliminated contestant. Chickeze, Amanda, Kristy Lee and David C are told to stand up. Chickeze, Amanda and David C are all safe. Kristy comes down to the AI Seal of Doom and irritates us with “Eight Days a Week.” It still sucks.

During one of the most lamest moments in Idol history, Ryan takes calls from Idol viewers. I really didn’t need to know that Jason C can’t relate to Paula because she’s a girl, a six time auditioner needs to get a real job, Simon and Ryan need their very own cage match and America may have the best singers but Britain has the best judges.

Before we can get to the third possible Idol bootee, season 5’s Kat McPhee performs accompanied by crabby old David Foster. Kat, taking time off from going to the opening of envelopes, sings George Harrison’s “Something.” As expected, she sings it like a beauty pageant contestant. I can remember when season 5 winner Taylor Hicks sang this song, and it was one of his best performances. Soul Patrollers’ heads must be collectively exploding.

Okay, Jim Carrey go away. This is not about you!

It’s time to announce the third person in the bottom 3. David A, Brooke and Ramiele are safe. Hey, was that Ramiele’s BFF Danny in the audience? David H joins Syesha and Kristy Lee in the bottom three.

After a commercial break, it is finally announced who will be leaving. Syesha is safe. And for some unbelievable reason Kristy Lee is not cooked. That means Idol’s answer to Diablo Cody, David H, has been stripped of going further in the competition. He takes the news like an adult and is leaving to Ruben Studdard’s version of “Celebrate Me Home. “ I liked David a lot. I wanted to see more of him. I wish him well.

Kat, taking time off from going to the opening of envelopes

lol. Her wedding was beautiful and so was her dress, I saw the pictures in People. Simon recently said that he never thought she could have any kind of success as a singer. Awkward much?

On one of those entertainment shows last night they said that David Archuleta's father has a stage Dad reputation and he yelled at David during the Monday rehearsals and made him cry. Allegedly when David was on Star Search his father harassed David's little girl competition and got himself banned from the set of the show.

Man...if Kristy Lee wasn't going to go home, then I wish she hadn't been in the bottom three so that we wouldn't have had to hear that song again. :mad:

Katharine McPhee was boring, I was really disappointed. :yawn:

I liked Jason's answer to that question about which judge he would be. "Well...maybe Paula because she's a girl, and I could wear Randy's shoes and V-neck shirts like Simon!":lol:

i really wasnt surprised that david h was going home after his performance tuesday.

Golightly Grrl said:
crabby old David Foster

:lol: Too true.

I like the McPhee. I can't really explain why, because I know she's pageanty, and her CD mostly sucked, and sometimes she gets a little screechy on those high notes.

Maybe there's some secret weapon in her shiny, shiny hair that compels me to root for her.

:shifty:

McPhee is hard not to like. But I agree with BC that her performance last night was a snooze. As Simon might say, it was a bit like an amateurish performance on a cruiseline. She's better than that performance, though.

I have always thought the show was cruel in many ways, one of which is when somebody like 8-days-a-week girl (sorry, still don't know names) is told basically "we hated it, it sucked, it didn't work at all" and then they have to sing it again the next night. It's humiliating.

corianderstem said:

:lol: Too true.

I like the McPhee. I can't really explain why, because I know she's pageanty, and her CD mostly sucked, and sometimes she gets a little screechy on those high notes.

Maybe there's some secret weapon in her shiny, shiny hair that compels me to root for her.

:shifty:
It's hypnotizing you to love her.

MrsSpringsteen said:

lol. Her wedding was beautiful and so was her dress, I saw the pictures in People. Simon recently said that he never thought she could have any kind of success as a singer. Awkward much?

On one of those entertainment shows last night they said that David Archuleta's father has a stage Dad reputation and he yelled at David during the Monday rehearsals and made him cry. Allegedly when David was on Star Search his father harassed David's little girl competition and got himself banned from the set of the show.

I saw that show. I'm waiting for daddy dearest to get banned :happy:

If Kristy Lee doesn't get the boot this year, she is truly this year's Sanjaya.

I'm only halfway through, but I am hoping and praying that Amanda and Kristy Lee go tomorrow night. Amanda is HORRID.

David was great again tonight, although the talkbox was a little cringe-worthy. Dude. Are you Frampton? Or Bon Jovi?

Simon is right - he's English - he knows his Beatles

David Cook went flat tonight

it was 2 dimensional

last week he was much better

yeah, he just learned the voice box, yesterday - it showed - it sucked

cruzila said:
Simon said something spot-on tonight.... he isn't sure they should have done The Beatles a second week in a row!! :yes:

:yes:
They were all pretty weak. There are some great voices this season, though. They just picked the wrong songs last night.

Poor Kristy. She's terrible.

American Idol-The Top 11 Perform

Once again AI visits the Lennon/McCartney songbook. In other words, Idol forked over a lot of money and the producers want to get their money’s worth even if it means Kristy Lee craps all over another Beatles’ song.

Unlike last week, the Idol hopefuls are introduced individually. I’m totally jonesing for Brooke and Syesha’s frocks. But Ramiele looks like she was styled by Idol cast-off Danny Noriega. I’m not enthused, but I’m sure Danny thinks Ramiele looks fierce!

After some Idol (and idle) chit chat, Amanda is up first. I guess “Back in the USSR” is the right song choice for Amanda but I’m not impressed. She performs as if she’s taking an “Intro to Rock Star Moves” at the Learning Annex. She stomps to stage left, stomps to stage right and then jumps up and down. Rinse and repeat. Amanda has zero charisma, and seems to have no passion when she performs. Charisma and passion can make up for a less than stellar voice. I would not shell out the money to see Amanda perform.

Kristy Lee butchered “Eight Days a Week” last Tuesday yet managed to survive elimination. I think she’s the Teflon contestant. Kristy Lee sings “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away. “ Um, Kristy Lee? You’ve got to hide your voice away! She can’t find the melody and dropped notes all over the stage. Plus, her performing skills are so sub-par. Does she even get the lyrics? And I hope Kristy Lee realizes when Paula says you look great that means she thinks you suck. Speaking of sucking, Kristy Lee tells Simon that she will blow his socks off. I’m sure Simon believes the first part of that sentence.

Dang it, David A vows not to mess up the lyrics this week. He sings “The Long and Winding Road.” David’s voice is so pure and beautiful, but he brings nothing to the song itself. I wish he was older (no, not in that way your pervs) because he needs some maturity and wisdom to get the song. Unfortunately, David made this song so high school graduation. In a few years he might grab me but I don’t have a few years. However, I’m sure the grandmas are eating him up and the tweens can’t wait to decorate their lockers with his “Teen Beat” pictures.

Michael sings “A Day in the Life.” I think he’s going to the same Learning Annex class as Amanda. Michael must have perused his rock star handbook before he got on stage-clutch mike with both hands, close eyes to convey intensity. Yep, I’ve seen it all before. Plus, this was not a good song choice. Having a 6 minute song like “A Day in the Life” stripped down to a minute and a half makes it lose its impact. I was initially impressed by Michael but now I find him dreadfully dull. Yes, it’s touching that he dedicated the song to his deceased friend. But I won’t vote for him.

As a fan of Brooke’s I was really looking forward to her performance. Sadly, “Here Comes the Sun” totally disappointed me. Sure, Brooke’s voice was lovely, but her actual performance was so awkward and corny. And I think Brooke knew it. I wish she would have accompanied herself on guitar and eschewed the cheesy dance moves. Plus her non-stop chatter during the judges’ critique was quite cringe-worthy. Well, at least she was wearing a cute dress.

David C sings the Whitesnake version of “Day Tripper.” Will Tawny Kitaen be in the background gyrating on the hood of a car? I’ll give David C some credit. At least he tells us the version of the song he’s doing unlike some people (DAUGHTRY!, I’m looking in your direction). David accompanies himself on electric guitar and something called a vicoder or talk box. Though the vicoder/talkbox element was a bit cheesy ‘70s arena rock, I thought this was a pretty decentl performance. David continues to surprise and impress me. Plus, he seems likable. I just think he really gets off on performing. And though I’m sure there is a joke about Ryan putting his mouth on the vicode/talkboxr, I’m going to keep quiet.

Despite the hate Carly gets from some Idol watchers, I like her. She sings “Blackbird” or as Simon calls it “Sparrow.” This was a good song choice for Carly. She was able to show her range; her voice sounded exquisite throughout. I love her tone, and she has good control of her voice. Every note was spot-on. Plus she connects with the song and understands the lyrics. However, I found the “Preakness Winner” rosettes around her neck a bit disturbing.

Jason sings “Michelle” and has no idea that ma belle French. I guess he didn’t go to Borders to pick up “The Stoners’ Guide to French.” Though the judges found him charming, I found him smarmy. I think Jason is resting on his laurels, and I expected more from him. His voice sounded fine, but his actual performance seemed like a joke to him. He didn’t seem to really get into it. I want to shake Jason and ask him, “Qu’est-ce que tu fais?” Will this be the week where Jason bids us “Au revoir?” Well, he’s got a good fan base going so I think the answer will be “non.”

Syesha’s ‘rents are in the audience and they must have been her good luck charm. I haven’t been too thrilled with Syesha’s past performances, but when she sang “Yesterday” she really had something. I liked the soul vibe she brought to the Beatles’ classic and she also brought a lot of touching vulnerability to her performance. I can forgive her for a few screeching glory notes. I want to see more performances like this from Syesha.

Chickezie wowed me last week. This week, not so much. Chickeze sings “I’ve Just Seen a Face.” I think I might have just seen Chickezie’s last performance. He started out good, but then turns this ballad into a horrific hoe-down. And what was up with bringing in the harmonica? It was a hot mess! Chickezie came across as desperate. But at least he’s not dressing like Carlton Banks anymore.

Lastly, we have Ramiele who sings “I Should Have Known Better.” I should have known better than to be in Ramiele’s corner from the start. She’s been losing me for the past few weeks, which is a shame because she has one of the best voices. Whereas, Ramiele seems to be a bit more confident this time out (and I’m glad she’s not singing a ballad), her performance is more Sorority House Talent show than Idol showstopper. However, being the last performer may save her from being voted off this week.

I can definitely say last week’s Beatles’ extravaganza was vastly superior to this week’s. We had the good like David C, Carly and Syesha. And we had the bad like Amanda, Kristy Lee and Chickezie. But mostly we had the tepid, David A, Michael, Brooke, Jason and Ramiele. Tuesday night was probably more painful to Paul McCartney than paying Heather Mills another 50 million bucks.

I'm getting bored by Amanda. Simon was right, she's just too predictable. It's the same thing every week.

Kristy Lee was awful. She said that she didn't know the song beforehand, and she just picked it because she liked the title. What?? Uh...seeing as how you need a song you can sing well, I think that your decision process should involve more than just deciding that you like the title.

David A. was good...but...meh. I don't know, it didn't do anything for me. I won't call him bad though, he's a great singer...but I just was bored.

I was very disappointed with Michael, I adore him, and I adore that song...but I was nervous when he said he'd picked that. I didn't know how well that song would translate to a condensed Idol perfomance. Not well, obviously.

This was probably my least favorite performance of Brooke's. I felt like I was watching a children's show, it was very cheesy.

I actually liked David C., I was surprised he didn't get more love from the judges. That voice thingy didn't really do much for me, but I don't think it necessarily took away from the performance...just an odd addition. It was unique though, I'll give him that.

I was bored by Carly, I didn't think it was a good song choice. Like David A. though, she's a great singer, the vocals were good, I won't deny that. I just felt very "meh" though.

Jason was pretty good, you know there will be tons of squealing, adoring girls voting feverishly for him.

I didn't really like Syesha, I just felt like her voice seemed too weak in parts, it ruined the song.

Chickezie was good, and I was enjoying his performance until he played that stupid harmonica and launched the song in an entirely new (and bad) direction. What??? I don't think I've ever seen a good performance take such a nosedive.

Ramiele had such little impact on me that I can't even remember her performance to say much good or bad about it.

^ Agree about David A. He has a great voice, there's no denying that, but he really does bore me. He tried to get out of that sappy slow jam mode last week and he crapped out, I'm beginning to think he's a bit of a one-trick pony (but then again so are Jason, David C, and Amanda). Amanda does the same howling each week, Jason with his faux-sensitive crooning, and David C's weekly Daughtry-doing-Nickelback display. Maybe Simon's right, they shouldn't have done another Beatles week...anybody know what next week's theme is?

While I wasn't wow-ed by Carly's performance this week I still hope she wins.

Last night was interesting, to say the least. I think a lot of the contestants chose the wrong songs for them. I still thought all of my favorites, Michael, Jason, Amanda, and Brooke did ok, and I think Michael, especially, did a much better job than he got credit for. Kristy Lee sucked like a Hoover. She needs to go...now. And to whoever asked, I believe next week is iTunes top 100 night, but I'm not positive.

I really wasn't blown away by anyone last night. The kid did alright, David A. But the majority of them butchered my favourite Beatles songs :madspit:

I'd say Amanda or Kristy Lee for the boot tonight.

Bonochick said:

This was probably my least favorite performance of Brooke's. I felt like I was watching a children's show, it was very cheesy.

Yes, yes, yes. Brooke's performance belonged low-production values kiddie show you can find on any low-wattage Christian TV station.

Kristy Lee...the cute blonde cockroach that refuses to die! :D

Now we get to see at least one more mediocre performance that gets unanimously panned by the judges and branded as boring and forgettable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom