American Idol - Season 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t see this live tonight and only just now finished watching. Having the benefit of pause-rewind-fast-forward, prepare for a freaking novel here...

Best of the night: Chikezie and Carly, both by a comfortable country mile. I had originally wanted Danny, my Imaginary Gay Shopping Partner to make the finals, but after Chikezie tonight? Damn. How inspired was the bluegrass opening in his song? That might have been one of my favorite performances on the show, ever. Wow. On the one hand, I hate the theme nights because it forces contestants to sing songs that they don’t give two shits about. On the other… Chikezie + “She’s A Woman” = awesomeness. Had he been familiar with the Beatles catalogue, he never would have re-arranged the song like that.

And this is only the second time I’ve liked Carly (the first being “Crazy On You”), but she sang her ass off and looked comfortable onstage and had an awesome song to work with. She’s clearly in her element doing rock songs, which makes her Orbison/Celine song choice last week even more baffling.

The boringly competent:

Jason - It is now dawning on me that you are a pony of only one trick. I wonder what’s going to happen when America realizes this. Your pretty, pretty eyes can only carry you so far.

Ramiele - So pretty, and I don’t think she’s ever sung a note out of tune. So why is she so fucking boring? She should be this season’s Melinda or something, but I keep forgetting about her tiny little self (seriously, did you see her at the end of the show standing next to Jason? Even wearing 12-inch heels, she’s a head and a half shorter than him.) I dunno, there’s just no there there.

Michael - “Across the Universe” is so mellow to begin with, why would you ever pick this? It’s a great song, yes -- but it’s not a great Idol song, and there’s a huge difference between the two. The contestants would do well to realize this. He sang it just fine, but he needs to cut it out with those Up-With-the-People-bullshitty hand gestures, stat.

The tremendously sucky:

David H. - So, you worked at a “pizza bistro,” eh? Is that what they’re calling it these days? Anyway, desperation is pouring off this kid in waves, much like Robbie reeked of “poseur.” You’ve got a good voice, dude, but I can’t buy that a former stripper has so few performance chops.

David A. - Usually they save the best performance for last. Instead we get this? Oy. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Idol contestant forget the words TWICE in the same song. And please, please don’t sell me this “I’m not that familiar with their songs” line when you sang “Imagine” two weeks ago. Arrgg. I’m sorry, but everybody on this planet knows at least ten Beatles songs, whether they want to or not. I didn’t give two shits about music until age 15 -- never bought an album, went to a concert, acted like a fangirl, nothing, not even for the typical teeny fare like NKOTB -- and I still knew a ton of Beatles songs because I listened to the freaking radio. And then I remember that my city got rid of its oldies station a few years ago, and I feel sad for the next generation. And I guess it’s one thing to just be musically ignorant like I was at 15; sure, I knew a bunch of Beatles songs, but it was all their poppy early I-wanna-hold-your-hand-do-you-want-to-know-a-secret-doo-wah-doo stuff. Abbey Road came much later, but still.

But I don’t dislike David personally or anything; he’s a nice kid with a great voice and (I suspect) a horrible stage mother. He’s everything that bugged me about Diana DeGarmo a few years back; it’s like he’s been groomed to be this perfect little Performer-Bot before he ever hit puberty (and still hasn‘t), and that shit is just wrong because it’s setting him up for failure. And I know that’s exactly the case because he only knew “We Can Work It Out” from Stevie Wonder. Here’s the thing: if you’re musically savvy enough to know Stevie, then you should know the Beatles. But he doesn’t know the Beatles because they’re “songwriter’s songs” for the most part, but he’s been spoon-fed Stevie since birth because his songs are “singer’s songs” that would allow him to show off. Bleh. Seriously, I know nothing about his parents and I fucking hate them already, because they caused this shit, and now poor little David has to deal with it. I guarantee you he only knew “Imagine” because his mother or someone else told him to sing it, not because he heard it himself and felt so moved that he wanted to perform it in front of 30 million people.

On the plus side, at least for one week the judges weren’t seeing rainbows and puppies shooting out of his ass.

The two-minor-tweaks-away-from-not-being-a-trainwreck:

Kristy Lee - The idea wasn’t a bad one, but I feel bad for her because Simon’s shoved her into this Country Music Box and she’s going along with it like a good little puppet, but I don’t think she’s got the musical… uh, the musical… something to pull off country-fying a Beatles song. And she probably shouldn’t have even tried, because even Carrie had the sense to leave Heart and Donna Summer as-is when she sang them.

BUT… had she slowed this down a bit and had the drummer back the fuck off that double-time thing he was doing, this might have been cool. Her vocals were fine, but as it was? A hot mess. I don’t think she’s going home, though. Never underestimate the power of the country fanbase.

The sudden, burning hatred:

David Cook - I thought he was great last week. This week, uh, not so much, and here’s why: for the first half of the song, he was painfully, make-your-teeth-itch flat. Then he kicked into the chorus and it became all 80s-power-ballady (which in and of itself is not a bad thing), and he hit a pose, and suddenly it all became so clear. Who did he remind me of when he hit that pose?

Scott Stapp.

Arrrrgggggg. Yeah, that ruined it for me. But along with the deadly Stapp association, I realized something about David Cook - yes, he’s authentic. As in, he is acting and singing in what he believes to be a rock-and-roll fashion, right down to the leather jacket he got at Hot Topic. In that sense, yes, he’s “real.“ But he has no fucking idea what real rock-and-roll is. To him, it’s Nickleback-ing “Eleanor Rigby” to death and screaming out the last note like he’s Kenny Loggins in that silly “Danger Zone” song (seriously, if you’ve got it recorded, go back and listen; the resemblance is uncanny.) He poses like a rock god when he sings because that’s what he’s seen other rock singers do, and I feel like he’s fallen into that trap that so many “goth” kids do in high school -- they think they’re being so different and nonconformist and all that by wearing black clothes and clunky boots and eyeliner, when in reality they’re just conforming to a completely different group in a way that’s no different than the preps or the jocks.

Sure, he might have re-made “Hello” into a cool and current-sounding version, but I don’t think he’d have the balls to admit that the original, as it was, is a great pop song. Because liking pop music in an unironic way isn’t cool or “rock” enough. And that’s why I fucking hate him now. Heh. I may be completely wrong about him, but this show is all about perception, and I think I’ve nailed this guy down, and I’m not sure I approve of what he’s selling.

Honorable mention:

Brooke - A few bum notes, but I dig the sincerity, and her voice is just so pretty. Girl needs to learn how play piano, sing, and look to the crowd/camera at the same time, though, because I think trying juggle all three at the same time was really awkward for her. On second, thought, she needs to learn to ignore the cameras entirely and just perform for the crowd (see Smithson, Carly), because that just reads better on TV.

Amanda - Sure, she’s just a great bar singer and not much else. Still, that’s a bar I’d like to go to. Lots of fun. I get the feeling that at 15, Amanda decided to be a Janis sound-alike and never tried anything different. I have to wonder what would have happened if a vocal coach had gotten ahold of her at that point in her life.

So boring I completely forgot about her:

Syesha - Which probably means she’s going home.

Ok, so I'm not consistant in watching the show, but I did see Michael's performance among others. I thought it was subtle, but gorgeous. Then again I am partial to that song.. :hmm:

My favorites of the night: Chikeze (sp?), Carly, Brooke, David C, Jason, Michael

Everyone else was ehhh.

David A should be thankful he has done so well in the previous weeks and is adored by the judges....last night he did not even deserve to make it in the top 12. Forgetting the lyrics? That just doesn't happen by this time. If he wasn't one of the judges favorites, they would have ripped him a new one.

Funny one thing I have decided that I disagree with the judges....I loved Jason and Michael. I guess I like how simlply they sang the songs...not into always making them big and powerful. Some songs are so well written that doesn't need to happen.

American Idol-The Top 12 Perform

American Idol goes finally goes co-ed. The boys and girls are brought together to sing the Lennon/McCartney songbook. Once again Ryan tells us that this is the most talented pool of contestants ever. I take a swig of my drink.

Just as promised, Idol has a new opening. And if you weren’t familiar with Idol, you’d probably think there has been only three winners in the past six seasons. We pretty much see only winners Kelly, Carrie and Jordin. Also new is the set, which looks like a gay disco on Saturn. Apparently the band doesn’t like each other very much. Many of them have their own "penthouses." But we’ll have to discuss these new developments later. Here are the top 12. They aren’t introduced individually. Yea, here they are. Wave, kids!!

As mentioned, the top 12 get to sing the songs of Lennon/McCartney, the yin/yang of the Beatles. Nearly forty years after they broke up, the Beatles and their songs survive. The Beatles weren’t just a force of musical nature; they affected the culture as a whole. But I digress. The contestants are ready to wow us.

Syesha sings “Got to Get You in My Life.” Yea, this song has a strong soul vibe, but Syesha is way to cruise ship entertainer to be truly impressive. Yes, her voice is in fine form, and she has lots of energy. But I kept feeling like she was doing a fizzy soft drink commercial. She needs to stop being pretty, and get a bit more dirty.

Before he got on Idol, Chickezie checked people’s bags at the airport, including Paula’s. I think you’d get a contact high from checking Paula’s bag. Chickezie got in just under the wire last week, but this week he totally hits it out of the ball park. He sings “She’s a Woman.” The song starts with bluegrass feel and works up to a full out rock song. It’s great to see Chickezie get out of his old-school soul box, and completely surprise us. Sure the dancing was a bit odd, but he really got the audience going. And I loved the falsetto at the end. I was afraid Chickezie might be too one-note, but I think he has the ability to really surprise us. Truly a great performance!

It’s probably not a good thing for Ramiele to follow Chickezie. And it’s probably not a good thing for her to sing such a simple, yet haunting song like “In My Life.” Her voice sounds beautiful as usual, and it’s good that she’s subtle instead of going for a bunch of glory notes. However, I felt Ramiele was playing it too safe. Her performance was grocery store background music. She might not survive the week.

Jason sings “If I Fell” while accompanying himself on his acoustic. I think this was a good song choice for him but I kind of missed the Beatles’ harmony. Still, I enjoy his laidback hippie vibe and he does connect with the song. I don’t see him as the Idol winner, but I think he’s going to gain a strong fan base. And if Jason is up at midnight, he’s probably not singing a song. He’s probably packing a bowl of some righteous bud.

After Carly tells us her shopping list, she sings “Come Together.” Wow! Her voice is in fine rockin’ form and she truly seems to be in her element. Carly is growing more comfortable as a performer (though she does need to work stage left a bit more). She’s strong and confident, and is really showing what she is made of. However, it’s a bit too soon to compare her to Kelly Clarkson, way too soon.

David C started “Eleanor Rigby” a bit too hesitant, and I noticed a few bum notes but he did gain steam as the song progressed. Still, it was a bit too DAUGHTRY-fied for my taste. But I guess that’s what passes for true rock authenticity these days. However, I do like how he has full command of the stage and gets the audience going. This dark horse is a total showman. On a shallow note, I do not like the rock and roll comb-over.

Brooke plays the piano and sings “Let it Be.” As I’ve mentioned, I love her voice. It’s unique in a day where weak voices are totally Pro-tooled or we are totally assaulted with overdone melisima. Brooke truly gets the lyrics, and shows them respect by not over-doing this song. She made her performance believable and heartfelt. She’s truly one of my favorites in the competition.

When David H mentioned he used to work at a pizza bistro, I thought pizza bistro was code for strip club. David H sings “I Saw Her Standing There.” I think David H has one of the better male voices in the competition, but this performance was all kinds of wrong. He was too karaoke or dinner theater. I think David H would have been better served by a different song.

Amanda looks better with some wave in her hair. She sings “You Can’t Do That.” No, Amanda, you can’t. I enjoyed last week’s performance, but once again, Amanda proves she’s pretty much the same as usual. She spent the entire song screaming and shouting, and I couldn’t understand most of what she was singing. I want a rocker girl in the competition, but Amanda is light years from that.

Michael sings “Across the Universe.” I’d go across the universe to get away from this poser. Michael’s voice never varies in tone or range. And he’s way too bombastic during this song. It’s like he’s trying to prove to us how passionate he is and he’s failing miserably. Not good at all. The boy is coasting.

Kristy Lee attempts to country-fry “Eight Days a Week” and it’s like eight days of pure torture. Listening to her, I can’t believe she made it this far. Her voice is painful to listen to, and her vibrato makes her sound like a goat. And she keeps doing that mounting a horse stance. Kristy’s performance is totally rushed and manic, and she deserved the bashing from the judges.

Gee, surprise, surprise. The chosen one, David A, gets the final spot of pimpage. He sings the Stevie Wonder version of “We Can Work it Out.” Sadly, David doesn’t work it out. Sure, his voice is good, but he stumbles over the lyrics and his performance makes “Saved by the Bell” look like a David Mamet play. Still, the tweens and grandmas love him. I just think you could make a drinking game from all the times he licks his lips when he sings.

So Beatles’ night was not the epic disaster I thought it would be. Chickezie proved why he remains in the competition. Carly’s performance was one of the strongest of the night. And my favorites, Jason and Brooke continue to entertain me. Amanda and Kristy Lee are consistent-they suck. However, I’m a bit worried about Syesha and Ramiele. Their performances weren’t that impressive and I’m afraid that they might be forgettable because they went so early in the night. Soon we’ll learn everyone’s Idol fate. Who will get a “Ticket to Ride” to next week and whose last performance was “Yesterday?”

Chikezie...wow!!!!!!!!! I think that was my favorite performance of his yet and maybe the best of the night. Who knew??? :up:

I was absolutely horrified by Kristy Lee's performance. What??? It was a bumpkin trainwreck. :huh:

David A. was incredibly disappointing. :down: His performance being the last of the evening didn't help either, it was a bummer to end the show that way.

Bonochick said:
Chikezie...wow!!!!!!!!! I think that was my favorite performance of his yet and maybe the best of the night. Who knew??? :up:

I was absolutely horrified by Kristy Lee's performance. What??? It was a bumpkin trainwreck. :huh:

David A. was incredibly disappointing. :down: His performance being the last of the evening didn't help either, it was a bummer to end the show that way.
I'm with you Bonochick. Chickezie was on fire last night, and Kristy Lee's performance made me want to set fire to the set. As for David A? Blech.

Can I make a suggestion for this thread?

I love the detailed reviews, I think they are great and needed here but honestly we don't need 2 detailed reviews every week...

Just an IMO....

Please don't take offense I just think it's kinda redundant.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
Can I make a suggestion for this thread?

I love the detailed reviews, I think they are great and needed here but honestly we don't need 2 detailed reviews every week...

Just an IMO....

Please don't take offense I just think it's kinda redundant.

Unless someone double-posts, I don't see the problem. :wink: As many people as possible should post their reviews; it's what this site is for after all. Exchanging opinions. :shrug:

Yeah I think it's a testament to the pulse-pounding power of this show that multiple people (including me) give LONG posts afterwards. I guess it just brings out people's itchy typing fingers. I love it!

As for David C...

Golightly Grrl said:
DAUGHTRY-fied

YES! Yes! Dude reminds me wayyyy too much of Daughtry and Daughtry makes me sick. Actually I think I might dislike David Cook even more. He's got a good enough voice but something about the way he delivers it is just U-G-L-Y. Every song from him will be a slow, nauseating dirge. Yuck. Get him outta here.

I did catch David H last night - meh. I'd like to continue being a fan, but that was two meh performances in a row. Pick up the slack, David H!

PlaTheGreat said:
:applaud: He's gonna nail it.
...into the ground. :(

I'm not worried about him being voted off.
I can't wait for Kristy Lee to get the boot. :wave: and take your Sadie Hawkins country music with you!

PlaTheGreat said:

I'm not worried about him being voted off.
I can't wait for Kristy Lee to get the boot. :wave: and take your Sadie Hawkins country music with you!

I'm not worried about David A. being voted off either, he has so many fans that he should have no problem garnering votes, even if he had an off night. I hope Kristy Lee goes tonight.

Oh, and I wanted to add this in regards to the comparison of David Cook to Chris Daughtry. Although I have voiced my dislike for Chris Daughtry many times, I (so far) like David Cook. For me, there is a big, critical difference between them, and that is their personalities. Chris Daughtry always came off as arrogant and full of himself. I can't stand the guy. So far, at least to me, David Cook seems like a nice enough, personable guy. It really does make a difference.

Bonochick said:
Oh, and I wanted to add this in regards to the comparison of David Cook to Chris Daughtry. Although I have voiced my dislike for Chris Daughtry many times, I (so far) like David Cook. For me, there is a big, critical difference between them, and that is their personalities. Chris Daughtry always came off as arrogant and full of himself. I can't stand the guy. So far, at least to me, David Cook seems like a nice enough, personable guy. It really does make a difference.
ITA. Daughtry is talented but he's very arrogant and takes himself way too seriously. Sure, talent is one thing, but people also want to support someone who is a decent human being. So far, David C seems like a decent human being.

Tonights result has sent me straight over the moon :love: :love: :love:

I would have to look down to see cloud nine right now.

Horny heterosexual 20-something male Americans...thankyou! You have made me proud!!!

David Hernandez.

Oh, fucking BOO, man. :grumpy:

He definitely had two weak performances in a row, but he shouldn't have gone before Kristy Lee. Blech.

See you on the stripper pole, David H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom