American Idol - Season 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it has more to do with the producers of American Idol wanting them to do popular songs only rather than not letting them sing the whole catalogue. If I recall correctly, they did the exact same thing for the decade weeks. They gave them a short list to choose from so that the audience (at least the majority of them) would know the songs.

I guess it's sort of fair. If a guy were to sing a song like Within You and Without You when everyone else is singing the hits, then they have the advantage.

I agree it sucks, though. :(

I kind of figured they gave them limits and lists of songs to pick from, but 25 songs for 12 singers is a bit ridiculous...and only letting them sing the early poppy stuff is really weak. Really.

So if the singers are getting these limited lists isn't a bit disingenuous for Randy & Simon to hammer them on song choice?

Definitely - and I think they should preface that fact before the contestants are judged. Everyone will think they had this HUGE Beatles catalog to work with, and then question why they picked "that song", not knowing the reasons. I'd like to see a contestant getting "critiqued" and come back with a "but there was only 25 songs to choose from". :|

Learning that the contestants only had 25 songs to choose from makes all the "Lennon/McCartney catalogue" hoopla completely ridiculous. :|

My sister and I were talking about this week's song choices over the weekend and we were groaning about having to listen to Yesterday and Norwegian Wood. Boooorrring!

I say the top 12 should perform the Abby Road medley. Now that could be entertaining.

CTU2fan said:
So if the singers are getting these limited lists isn't a bit disingenuous for Randy & Simon to hammer them on song choice?

Yes.

I've already added that to my list of things I love to hate about American Idol. Only this one is more aggravating than vaguely amusing.

U2isthebest said:

Pat Benetar is one of my favorite female rock vocalists, so if you're going to do "Love is a Battlefield", I think you better bring it. Brooke, the only talented blonde in the competition this year, did just that. I loved her raw, acoustic performance of it. She sounded amazing, and she made the song "her own" without making me hate it.

Ug, Brooke. Here's the thing about that song. It's safe. It's easy to sing, especially when you leave the band out. I can't believe I actually agreed with Paula when she said she wanted the band in the arrangement. For some reason Brooke has been getting a free pass the last few weeks. Randy and Simon usually call people out for "safe" songs but not with Brooke. :hmm:

How is Lennon/McCartney week shaking out for the contestants?

BYRD: It's quite interesting for them, because a lot of them don't know those songs. It's hard for a contestant when they know four Beatles songs and all four are taken.

They don't know more than 4 songs?? I don't think you need to be any particular age or fan to have basic knowledge on Beatles songs. I don't know what the youth of today are listening to but when I was younger all eras of music were popular, from Elvis to the Beatles, Stones, Led Zep to Madonna. I feel the last 10 or so years have changed a lot of things.

They're not doing anything from Sgt Peppers onwards? This is where all the interesting stuff is and they're only denying the contestants and fans with some possible great variations.

Having only 25 pre-Sgt. Peppers songs for the contestants to choose from is definitely disappointing but I'm still excited for tonight.

Some Beatles is better than no Beatles at all.

My favorite tonight was Chikiezie. He really stepped it up and surprised me.

Ramiele and Brooke put me to sleep. Two very safe, boring songs. Simon has yet again found a blond to gush over. Michael was borderline sleepy.

David and Kristy were just plain bad. I think they should go.

Well, so much for not singing any songs past "Revolver":lol:

Syesha: It definitely was not her best performance, but I still liked her take on "Got To Get You Into My Life". Her vocals were still fantastic.

Chickieze: Holy shit!:hyper: His performance of "She's A Woman" was amazing! I absolutely loved the banjo/fiddle/southern Rock vibe at the beginning and then the pure rock all the way through. His falsetto is perfect and he showed a ton of personality tonight.

Ramiele: I though she did a great job with "In My Life", and that was my class song; it's hard to please me with it. Her vocals were vulnerable and simple like the song requires. I completely disagree with Randy and Paula. That song is not a belter or a rocker. It is what is and it needs to stay that way.

Jason-He has one of the purest and most beautiful voices in the competition this year. It wasn't on par with his unbelievable take on "Hallelujah" last week, but I loved his version of "If I Fell", regardless. I could totally imagine myself going and listening to just him and his guitar for 2 hours at a concert.

Carly- "Come Together" is one of my top 3 Beatles songs, so I was nervous, but she worked it. Her voice is just awesome when she's in that rock zone. She's growing on me every week.

David C. continues to just work it every week now. I loved his vocals on "Eleanor Rigby", and I'm glad he left the guitar at home this week.

"Let It Be" is one of my top 3 favorite songs, period, so I was nervous for Brooke again. However, she was simply amazing. Her piano work just added to the performance and her vocals were top notch tonight. I'm glad she didn't try to change it up and she just sang one of the best songs ever written in a beautiful way.

David H. Meh city. It was better than his power ballad mess, but I'm still not a fan. "I Saw Her Standing There" is a fun song, and he just tried too hard and somehow came across as still boring. The vocals were pretty good, but I still don't want to see him around much longer.

I loved Amanda's take on "You Can't Do That". She just rocks and the vibe she gave the song just worked. I don't care how much some might hate her, her voice is just raw and perfect.

Michael's version of "Across The Universe" was WAY better than he got credit for. Like Jason, he has one of the most naturally pure and beautiful voices this year. As much as I loved his vocals and performances in past weeks, I sometimes felt he was trying a bit too hard. However, he was just simple and heartfelt tonight. I loved it.

Kristy Lee. I don't even know where to start. That was without a doubt, one of the worst performances in Idol history. I abhored that god-awful mess of "Eight Days a Week" from the first note, before she even started singing. Once she did, I hated it even more. Awful, Awful, Awful.:| Her voice is so subpar it's not even funny. It actually makes me long for the day of John Peter Lewis, and you have no idea how hard it is for me to say that.:lol:

David A.- "We Can Work It Out" may not have been his best performance, but that kid can SANG. He's not even one of my top favorites, but I can't help but love him. I actually kind of liked the soul vibe he gave the song.

Amanda and Kristy Lee have got to go!

Ramiele and Syesha are starting to fade, while David Cook and Chickezie are really stepping it up! Chickezie rocked it tonight! If i voted, i'd vote for him!

God it's pathetic how much I could ramble on about a two-hour televised karaoke contest but here goes:

I know Archuleta is 17 and he was nervous, but the kid shouldn't have screwed up the lyrics. He had an entire week to prepare to sing ONE song (And an amazing song at that). That was a pretty glaring screw-up by the "frontrunner." He won't be going home though.

I think Syesha might be gone. She could get hit with the "first performer of the night" curse. It will either be her or Kristy Lee that gets the boot. By the way, I can GUARANTEE that Kristy Lee Cook will somehow get a fat record deal and have a hit song on modern country radio a year from now. Freakin' Bucky Covington had a hit song last year just because he was a "country" singer on Idol. And Kristy Lee is a little better looking than Bucky. :wink:

Carly has, easily, the strongest voice of the bunch.

And for all of the judges posturing and use of phrases like "unique" and "make it your own" - I think this year, in Brooke White, we have a contestant whose voice is ACTUALLY unique. There has never been anyone on this show with that sexy, raspy, folksy, aching vibe in her voice. LOVE her.

And did anyone else think it seemed like
Seacrest did a few lines of coke backstage before the show started? Ryan was extra-hyper this evening. :hyper:

You know, I am just wholly unenthused about Beatles night. And I love the Beatles. And I'm not one of those "lol watching people ruin Beatles songs omg onoez" detractors.

I just don't care, you know?

That being said, Chikezie was completely AWESOME. Nice to pick a song somewhat out of left field, and way to make it new. Awesome.

I might turn it off and finish watching a movie I started last night. :yawn:

I've recorded the whole season but only saw it for the first time tonight. I guess I'm in now for the final 12 on. Got some catching up to do.

The country 8-days-a-week girl was awful.

I loved the Across the Universe guy (sorry, I don't know the names yet) and couldn't believe the judges' lukewarm reception. I thought it was perfect in its straightforward simplicity. It could have so easily been ruined if he'd messed with it too much.

The You Can't Do That rock chick was also great.

Carly was AWESOME and I actually was not sure about David Cook singing Elenor Rigby with his thick raspy voice but it seemed to have worked out in the end..I kinda figured him to sound better singing REVOLUTION......
Brooke was ok....
David "the stripper"Hernandez is among my favorites..but I wasnt blown away with his song :shrug:

Wow, whatever they did to Amanda's hair tonight, it's a world of improvement. She looks her age now and not like she's 20 going on 40.

Her singing still grates on me, though. I appreciate what she did with the song, but I just don't think she's that good. The more I hear her, the more I'm surprised she made it to even the top 24.

Guess they needed to fill that obligatory "rocker chick" spot. And I guess I'm just not a fan of that all-raspy all-the-time singing style.

And yes, I think Janis Joplin's singing is overrated, too. :wink:

Last edited:
corianderstem said:

Guess they needed to fill that obligatory "rocker chick" spot. And I guess I'm just not a fan of that all-raspy all-the-time singing style.

And yes, I think Janis Joplin's singing is overrated, too. :wink:

Yeah, it could probably wear thin with me, too. But seeing her for the first time tonight was cool.

Micheal Johns-sang one of my favorite songs Across The Universe ..It was good :shrug:
I was not crazy about Kristy Lee Cooks version of 8 days a week:|
David Archlueta really messed up!(i m not even familiar with the song he sang)! ...I still like him though..hopefully he will be back next week and do better...

Chekieze took the night in my opinion :):up:

AND WTF? Does Randy mean when he says "Good Looking Out"???It never makes sense to me, an dI cant help but crack up when he says that :huh:

WildHoneyAlways said:
My favorite tonight was Chikiezie. He really stepped it up and surprised me.

Ramiele and Brooke put me to sleep. Two very safe, boring songs. Simon has yet again found a blond to gush over. Michael was borderline sleepy.

David and Kristy were just plain bad. I think they should go.

I agree on all points. Chikiezee worked it!

My poor little David :sad: Its ok.. it was just a bad night. He'll bounce right back.

•This was definitely Chickezie's night - the best of the night I believe :up:
•'In My Life' is one of my favorite Beatles song, and I was a bit apprehensive to hear anyone sing it. I didn't like the critique of it by the judges. I thought Ramiele did a fine job of it. I agree with U2isBest's take on it..
•Liked Jason's 'If I Fell' as well. :up:
•Not a fan of the song 'Eleanor Rigby', but thought David C. did alright with it.
•'Let It Be' is not high on my list of fave songs, and I was waiting for the judges to say it was good but boring. Instead, Brooke got the tongue bath. However, I do like her, and hope she stays.
•Michael's "Across The Universe" was alright. I'm still waiting for him to give that "incredible" performance. Haven't really seen it since Hollywood week. Still like him, and hope he can deliver.
•Apparently David A. couldn't work it out. I couldn't believe he screwed up the lyrics at least twice in the song :der: His voice was fine, and hopefully he won't be out because of this. How could you not know the song? :shrug:

Kristy was one hot mess. I think she'll be going home, followed by David Hernandez.

I will say it right now: David Archuleta is OVERRATED. The girls swoon because "LOZL HES SOOOOOOO CUTE AND HIS VOICE IS AMAZING!!!"

Yeah. He has an "aww...shucks..." kind of charm (one that grew thin for me after a single performance), and a pretty good voice; hardly the best in the competition. But no matter which way you slice it, he dropped the ball tonight. What an awful, unprofessional performance. He didn't even know the lyrics after 5+ days of preparation! Plus, his attempts at vocal runs were often pitchy. He shouldn't go yet, but no way should he win this competition.

The rest...

Amanda - Pretty cool. Nice arrangement, good vocals.

Brooke - Vocally sloppy, but I like that I could actually tell she gave a damn about the song.

Carly - Very strong voice. She did a good job with Come Together, though I believe her voice was a bit too high for it.

Chikezie - Great arrangement, strong vocal. Great job.

David Cook - Flawless.

David Hernandez - Forced and LAME.

Jason - A little too EARNEST for my taste. Reminded me of something off an emo-slanted top 40 station. I still think he's great though.

Kristy - Was she even in time with the song? Vocally decent with a terrible arrangement.

Michael - Musically boring, vocally superlative.

Ramiele - Didn't watch her. What I saw looked very boring.

Syesha - Her voice was overpowered by the arrangement; one I didn't care for. Not a great cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom