American Idol - Season 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some notes:

Archuleta does have a really good voice.

I'm starting to dig Danny and his over-the-top flamboyance. :up:

You guys already said it, and I love Randy, but his Hutchence fuck-up was not good. Not good at all. And he need not be throwing around the label 'emo' anymore on this show.

I don't like the Australian dude but he unfortunately can sing.

Hell of a song choice by Jason Castro but I can't help but compare his vocal to Buckley's. And, needless to say, it didn't measure up.

If I had to predict I would say Luke and Chikezie are gone.

I give major props to Jason for taking that song on, when the first notes started I was like noooooooo :sad: But I thought he did a fine job, other than his voice cracking at the end. Maybe he's just hitting puberty :wink:

I missed David A :scream:

I think Michael imitates Hutchence and it's getting old fast for me. I'd like to see him do something different.

wtf was wrong with Randy last night??? Is he not in the music business that he can't get the name of the band who did he song right???
DAWG, IT IS SIMPLE MINDS WHO DID THAT SONG NOT INXS!!! :banghead:

I screamed at the tv last night when I heard him say that...

corianderstem said:

I'm not sure if you're referring to this or not, but someone needs to tell Randy that INXS did not sing Don't You Forget About Me.

And was it just me, or did anyone else hear Simon saying something about "...a stripper" at the tail end of David H's song?

Ah, judges. Not immune from scuttlebutt.

YES I WAS DAMN IT...:madspit:

Lila64 said:
I think Luke is toast.

Indeed he is. Burnt black crispy toast.

Other than Luke I'm thinking (hoping) Danny might be going. If not Danny then either David H or Chikezie (unfortunately).

Am I the only one who finds David A kind of boring? Great voice, no question, and I wouldn't bitch if he won, but there's just something missing there. I heard him the first time and thought "wow, he can sing" but there's almost a "going through the motions" vibe with him.

And oh my goodness David Cook, wow. Impressed. The guys are better than the girls this year.

David Cook went up about a billion points in my book last night. What he did with "Hello" was brilliant. That's the first time I've seen a cover on "Idol" that I liked better than the original.

corianderstem said:

And was it just me, or did anyone else hear Simon saying something about "...a stripper" at the tail end of David H's song?

According to TMZ

After his rendition of "All Coming Back to Me Now," Simon can be heard telling the other judges to "say I liked the way you stripped it down".

American Idol-Top 8 Guys Perform

Eight guys perform but only six guys will make it through. If my math is correct that means two guys will leave us this week. But first they’ve got to sing. This week the theme is 1980s, the era of Reagan, “Greed is Good” and when MTV actually showed videos. And can someone please explain what Randy is wearing? It’s like his t-shirt was made by a drunk toddler using some magic markers and a bedazzler.

Luke Menard sings first and does not start the show on a good note. He sings Wham’s “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go.” Sure, this song is pure pop pabulum, but George Michael has one of the best blue-eyed soul voices around. Luke’s thin voice just can’t match up, and his falsetto is painful. And is it just me or does it seem like he’s rushing through the song? I think my Idol eye candy train is losing steam. I can’t see him surviving.

David Archuleta wasn’t even a gleam in his parents’ eyes during the 80s, but that doesn’t mean he can’t sing an 80s song. David sings “Another Day in Paradise.” As usual, Danny’s voice is in fine form. And I like that he accompanied himself on piano and maybe he should have kept playing. However, I do wish Danny would do something a bit more upbeat and youthful. He’ll probably get a chance to next week. This kid is going nowhere or else the powers that be will have a melt down. Nice Bono-speech about the homeless, David, but this is not the Miss American pageant.

The fiercest Idol contestant ever! is now up. Danny Noriega sings Soft Cell’s “Tainted Love”-of course he does. Paula claims Danny is spicy and sensitive. Um, like a gay Indian dish, I guess. I like Danny. He’s fun. I want to go to Sephora with him and try on some Nars lipstick, but he’s doesn’t seem really sincere when he performs. He vamps around rather than show true artistry. I think Danny is more suited to be an AI commentator for an entertainment show rather than an actual contestant on AI.

Did anyone think David Hernandez might sing “Strip” by Adam Ant? If he did that I would have voted for him ‘til my fingers bled and my baby blues crossed. Instead, David sings the Celine Dion dreck “All Coming Back to Me.” Wait, didn’t this song come out in the 1990s? I hate this adult contemporary Lite FM stuff, and I wish David would have sung something else. However, David’s voice is top notch. He is one of the best of the guys and I’m hoping he stays.

Michael John’s sings “Don’t You Forget About Me.” Sometimes I wish I could. Yes, Randy, I know you’re the architect of rock and roll, but Michael Hutchence did not sing this song. It was sung by Jim Kerr of Simple Minds. Okay, end of music history lesson. Michael’s performance.? Yea, he did okay but I’m not overly impressed. I’m still not buying him as a rocker. And stop the comparisons with Michael Hutchence. The comparisons end with the Aussie heritage and the shared first name. I’m sure Michael Hutchence still sings better than Michael Johns even though he’s been dead for over ten years.

David Cook had some guitar problems but things are now back on track. He sings Lionel Richie’s “Hello.” He makes this cheesy song into a rock song and it actually works! WOW! David truly made it his own and like the judges said, I can imagine it being heard on the radio today and sounding totally new and fresh. I like that David C took a risk and I think he’s going to be full of surprises. I want him to stick around so he can surprise me week after week. Most contestants are dull; David C isn’t.

Did anyone think Jason Castro’s most embarrassing moment was going to be when he spilled the bong water at Burning Man? Jason sings the Jeff Buckley version of “Hallelujah.” He sounds good (despite a bum note at the end) and I like his simple take on this song. This is not the time for melisima and melodramatics. The spare arrangement works for Jason’s voice and he connects with the lyrics. My opinion of him gets higher and higher each week.

Chickeze Eze sings “All the Woman (Man) I Need.” Though this song has been done by men the best known version is by Whitney Houston. This might be held against Chickeze. I enjoy his voice but I’m starting to think he’s not long for this competition. Chickeze’s old-school soul vibe is probably not thrilling younger voters, and he does seem a bit one-note. I’m wondering if he can handle other theme weeks. And Simon really has a unfathomable hatred for Chickeze. Gee, did he steal one of your gray sweaters, Si?

Guys’ night featured some highlights but I’m still not buying that this is the most talented contestants ever. My faves of the night were David Cook and Jason Castro. Who are the goners? Probably Luke Menard and possibly Chickeze or Danny. What else did we learn? Well, Paula continues to be bombed out of her mind and Simon shops at Whole Foods. Who knew?

Golightly Grrl said:
Did anyone think Jason Castro’s most embarrassing moment was going to be when he spilled the bong water at Burning Man?

I actually can't imagine Jason Castro being anywhere near Burning Man :wink:

Tackling Whitney Houston is not an easy task, but I though Asia'h did a great job with "I Wanna Dance With Somebody". She didn't blow me away, but she has a gorgeous voice, and she's a fun performer.

I don't have the slightest clue as to what song Kady was singing, I just know I hated her perfomance of it. She should be a Britney Spears impersonator because her vocals and perforomance skills are much better when she does that.

Amanda frickin' rocked "I Hate Myself For Loving You" I don't care what anyone says, she's one of my all-time favorite AI female vocalists. This was definitely her best performance so far. And with the hair and make-up toned down this week, she looked so pretty.

Carly did a fantastic job with "I Drove All Night". I'm a big fan of that song, even the embarassing Celine Dion version. She's growing on me every week.

Kristy Lee, dear, you are one of the weakest vocalists in the competition. Why, oh why, would you attempt a song sung by Steve Perry? I'm not even a Journey fan other than everyone's favorite drunken karoake go-to, "Don't Stop Believin", but come on now. Kristy was boring, bland, and meh x infinity

"Against All Odds" is one of the lamest, cheesiest, worst power ballads of all time. Ramiele actually made me sort of like it. Her vocals blow me away every week, but I actually found her performance lacking in energy and a bit forgettable this week. I don't think she'll have any problems making it to the top 12.

Pat Benetar is one of my favorite female rock vocalists, so if you're going to do "Love is a Battlefield", I think you better bring it. Brooke, the only talented blonde in the competition this year, did just that. I loved her raw, acoustic performance of it. She sounded amazing, and she made the song "her own" without making me hate it.

Syesha's version of "Saving All My Love For You" was really good. I'm not a big fan of the song, and it wasn't her best performance, but she has a stunning voice, and I give her props, like Asia'h, for doing a Whitney song and not sucking.

If God is smiling on us, Kady and Kristy Lee will be gone tomorrow night.

Yep, Kady blew it with that awful song choice. The only reason i knew what the song was is because my mom loved the soundtrack to the movie Highlander when i was young. But i'm pretty sure that most of the viewing audience had never heard that song before. And the very worst thing anybody can do in this competition is sing a song that nobody knows! Stupid move. She's toast.

Kristy Lee actually wasn't doing so bad until that last note. OMG, how could the judges just overlook that and give her good reviews anyway? It was awful!

Amanda has GOT to go. Joan Jett.. big shock! :rolleyes: She sounds the same every week. Carly is a way better rock singer than her.

Ramielle sang great, but she definitely lacks personality. She looked half asleep up there.

Agreed that Kady and Kristy Lee need to go tomorrow! :wave:

ultravioletluvv said:
But i'm pretty sure that most of the viewing audience had never heard that song before.

They did if they saw Katharine McPhee do the same exact version two seasons ago. :wink:

Loved Carly's song choice - one of my favorites. I think it was a bit too high for her, and came across as too shouty on the high notes. If she'd done it in the key of Cyndi Lauper's version (it RULES; Celine can fuck off), it would have been loads better.

I can't believe Amanda got so much praise. It was her standard schtick, and her schtick is already old, and it's hard to believe she made it this far with her one-mediocre-trick pony.

Oh, and I totally laughed when Simon called Kady a robot - isn't that the same criticism he levelled at Carrie Underwood every week? Worked out okay for her in the end. :lol:

I actually liked Kristy Lee tonight, at least until the ending, which was a little iffy.

Last edited:
Aaaaaaaaaaand...joining Luke in the Thursday night toaster is...Kady! Boring, yawn, meh.

If there's any justice Amanda will be joining her, but I know she has her fans so I think she'll be around for another week or 3.

American Idol-Top 8 Girls Perform

The guys had their time in the spotlight; now it’s time for the ladies. Like the night before, the theme is the songs of the 1980s so I’m expecting some Whitney Houston. God help us. Because Ryan loves the ladies, he puts on a tie to look all fancy. Hmm, a sharp-dressed man, indeed. After Ryan introduces the judges I am left with one burning question? Did Paula forget to undo her ponytail after her Botox injections?

Asia’h Epperson is up first. She sings Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.” Told you so, told you so. Asia’h’s voice is no where near what Whitney’s was at her peak. However, Asia’h does not start off girls’ night as badly as Luke started out boys’ night. Still, that’s not saying much. Sigh. Randy just has to mention that he produced this song. Shut up. No one cares. Simon calls Asia’h a second-rate Whitney Houston. Hmm, I thought the post-Bobby, post-crack Whitney Houston was the second-rate Whitney Houston.

Kady Malloy sings the Queen classic “Who Wants to Live Forever?” Gee, who wants to shut up Kady forever? It’s not a good idea to sing a song sung by one of the most charismatic front man of all time. The late Freddie Mercury had more personality in his overbite than Kady has in her entire body. I agree with Simon that during the interview parts, Kady shows some vibrancy, but on stage, she gives zilch.

Amanda Overmyer sings “I Hate Myself for Loving You.” I’m hating myself for kind of liking it. It’s not the huge trainwreck I thought it might be. Perhaps, Amanda’s “drunk aunt at the biker bar’s karaoke night” schtick is growing on me. Obviously, Amanda’s version can’t touch Joan Jett’s. Amanda isn’t good enough to carry Ms. Jett’s leather pants, but after being put to sleep by Asia’h and Kady, Amanda at least wakes me up a bit. And that guy who looks like a hedge fund manager is her fiancé? I guess opposites do attract.

Carly Smithson sings “I Drove All Night.” I know Celine Dion sung this song, but I remind myself that Cyndi Lauper also did a version of this song, a much better version. Unlike Simon, I thought this song was a good choice for Carly. I liked her voice through out the song. She was able to belt and sing the softer notes without losing pitch. Plus, I think her hair is looking better. Too bad about the fug jeans though.

Kristy Lee Cook sings the Journey tune “Faithfully.” Oh shut up Randy! Though Kristy gives this song a slight country feel, I just wasn’t getting into it. Her voice is okay, but she’s so bland on stage, and immediately forgettable. However, thanks to Paula, we have the word of the day-”Positivity.” I’m sure word nerd David Cook will take note of that in case it comes across in a cross word puzzle.

Ramiele Malubuy sings Phil Collins’ “Against All Odds.” As usual, her voice sounds beautiful. She handles the big notes with aplomb and gently hugs the softer notes. Her voice is a beautiful instrument. Yet, she seems to lack something on stage, as if she’s not quite sure of herself. I’m getting a slight Elliott Yamin vibe from her, someone with an amazing voice but who needs more confidence. But like Elliott, I think Ramiele is a dark horse and will probably go further than others.

When I heard Brooke White was going to sing Pat Benatar’s “Love is a Battlefield” I got a bit scared. Brooke is such a low key, folky kind of girl, so I wasn’t sure if she could handle a rock song. Well, this turned out to be one of my favorite performances of the night. I loved how Brooke was accompanied only by an acoustic guitar giving this song a simple, pared-down feel. And her voice was amazing. I like how it has a little catch in it. It totally sets her apart.

Syesha sings “Saving All My Love For You.” Gee, what did I say about Whitney Houston songs? This is such an obvious choice for Syesha, but I wish she’d try something different. I want her to surprise me. Yes, her voice sounds beautiful but I feel like I’ve seen this performance a million times. Still, Syesha did get the spot of pimpage and will be memorable to the viewers.

I had my favorites of the night. Brooke was the best, and I also liked Ramiele and Carly. Even Amanda seemed better this time out. I think Syesha is safe, too. Asia’h, Kady and Kristy are probably on the wire. I think Kady and Kristy will be in the bottom two, but I kind of want Asia’h to leave because I’m sick of typing her stupid apostrophe'd name.

I thought Carly was fantastic! You know you fancy someone's singing when you rewind the tape a few times.

It's funny 'cause some of these contestants are so young that they pick these songs that have been played or sung so much over the years it's uninteresting. This was the case with Ramiele doing “Against All Odds”, though her voice was great. I don't think she's a dark horse anymore and we saw a dent in her armour. Maybe I'm just old:wink:

And these people need to stop doing Whitney Houston and Celine songs. How many times have we heard Simon over the years saying the same thing he said last night about that? Crikey...pick a song that hasn't been overdone, make it your own - a la Brooke White, and don't sing it exactly like the original artist did it.

I think an Interchangeable Blonde is toast tonight...just forgettable as Simon says. Luke....adios!

Are there usually spoilers for that? I thought the best we got was Dial Idol's predictions, but I never even put any faith in that.

I got nothing... They don't allow spoilers on the AI site, so you have to go elsewhere. And I didn't find anything in my brief search :shrug:

SPOILERS!!!!!!

Well, you half fucked it up America.:| Asia'h has more talent in her pinky than Kristy Lee has in her entire body. She shouldn't have made it this far, unless they're planning on allowing her to sing "Amazing Grace" for the next 12 weeks. I am thrilled that Britney Spears aka Kady is gone though.

As for the guys, thank God, Luke is out. However, I'm incredibly pissed that Danny didn't make it through. He was one of the best male vocalists this year. He may have picked a couple bad songs in this round, but he's a brilliant performer and definitely deserved a spot in the top 12. I'm glad Chickieze is through, although I would've preferred Danny out of the two. Why wasn't David Hernandez voted off?:mad: He's like the male version of the Interchangeable Blondes, boring, boring and also a little bit boring. His voice is pretty good, but it's not really impressive. I'm thrilled that Amanda and Michael are in though.

On a side note, I really need to buy Blake Lewis' album on iTunes. That performance was awesome, and I was loving the song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom