American Idol - Season 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good choices on the guys out, not so much the girls. Especially the first girl. Alaina is nothing special but she's better than the ghastly Amanda. Why is there one every year? You know the one, that one where you're like "WTF?" From John Peter Lowis, to Mikaila Gordon, to Sanjaya, now Amanda...

Well we're down to only 1 Jason so that eases the confusion somewhat, but I bet we have 2 David's for awhile yet.

American Idol-The Top 20 Results Show

After a couple of abysmal nights of performance shows, results are here. Four hapless Idol wannabes will be leaving the AI stage never to be heard from again. But before we can get to the reason why we tuned in, Mom Seacrest has a question? What is up with Simon’s half-moose poses? Simon claims it’s a secret code. But obviously it’s a secret that’s not right for a family show.

Yes, the show. The show must go on. It’s the cheesy group sing. The top 20 descend the stairs from the red room of wretched waiting to sing the hits from the 1970s. Ooh, it’s painful as to be expected. To pass the time I contemplate whether the tangled mop on top of Robbie Carrico’s head is a wig and the scandalous rumor of David Hernandez’s male stripper past. Gossip sites. Gotta love’em.

Before we get to the results we get a brief overview of the boys’ performance night from the past Tuesday. I had forgotten most of them, and they should stay that way. The boys sit on the couches of judgment to await their fate. Michael Johns, Chickeze Eze, Jason Castro and Danny Noreiga are safe. Jason Yeager is leaving and not a moment too soon. I just couldn’t take him smiling and smarming through another song. During his sing out I tune into a rerun of The Office.

After a commercial break, the ladies are on the line. Kristy Lee Cook, Amanda Overmyer, Brooke White and Asia’h Epperson are safe. Alexandrea Lushinton is leaving us. Darn, just when I was going to start calling her A-Lush. And we never got to see great grandma. A-Lush leaves in good spirits and seems to have a good head on her shoulders. How sweet of her to hug David Archuleta after her sing out. Were they like totally BFF?

It’s back to the girls. Who is safe and who is going home? Carly Smithson is safe. As are Syesha Mercado and Ramiele Malubuy. Alaiana Whitaker and Kady Malloy are brought forth to the AI seal of doom. If there was any justice Kady, who gave woeful performance of “Magic Man,” would be leaving. But apparently the planets aren’t aligned correctly because Alaina is leaving us. Everyone is in shock, especially Alaina who doesn’t think she can do her sing out. She’s too upset. The remaining AI girls rally around her as she gathers up the strength to sing her swan song. Danny Noreiga cries huge tears. Wow, even I got a bit teary-eyed.

Before we get to the second boy bootee of the night, Ryan gives us the latest AI press release. On March 11 the final 12 will sing songs from the Lennon/McCartney song book. I love the Beatles but I shudder that this might be the trainwreck to end all trainwrecks. March 11 will also unveil new opening credits, a new set and an exit song by season 2 winner Ruben Studdard.

Hmm, what else? Oh yes, Idol Gives Back will air on April 9th. We are treated to last year’s highlights of Idol Gives Back fete. Ooh, OMG!!!!!! Bono!!!!!!! And did anyone see Kady jumping in her seat over the thought of Brad Pitt being on Idol Gives Back? Yea, like she’ll still be around.

Okay, back to the reason why we have tuned in. It’s time to find out the second boy to leave AI. The Davids of Hernandez, Archuleta and Cook are all safe. Luke Menard and Robbie Carrico join Ryan on the AI seal of fate. Luke is announced safe. Yes, one more week of my eye candy!!! Robbie Carrico is leaving us. Hair to today, gone tomorrow couldn’t have come fast enough for this poser.

Next week put on your leg warmers and Flashdance sweatshirts. It’s 1980s week!

Golightly Grrl said:

Hmm, what else? Oh yes, Idol Gives Back will air on April 9th. We are treated to last year’s highlights of Idol Gives Back fete. Ooh, OMG!!!!!! Bono!!!!!!! And did anyone see Kady jumping in her seat over the thought of Brad Pitt being on Idol Gives Back? Yea, like she’ll still be around.

:lol:

I didn't think Alaina acted entitled - I think she had a genuine reaction. Franky, I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often.

Also, going off of what looked like Kady's genuine shock, I wonder if Kady was so sure she'd be going and she'd convinced Alaina she'd be okay, so it was a bigger shock? I don't know. I felt bad for her, but am not sorry she's gone.

I'm still snickering over Robbie and his big phony rocker self being voted off. Did anyone else hear the rumor that his long rocker hair was a wig? Bwa ha haaaaa.

My wife has been calling him "Wig Boy" since she first saw him. I asked her if maybe it's extensions and she said no, definitely wig.

I think Simon knew, too.

I heard about the wig thing too. Too funny! Yeah, i think Kady thought it was gonna be her, so she was pretty shocked. She just barely escaped though. It's gonna be hard for her to survive next week. Same goes for Luke Perry. I'm just glad it's 80's week, so maybe the song choices will be a bit better! :wink:

I'm suspecting we'll hear the stereotypical Beatles songs for that week....and I'm not that confident how it will turn out. Hopefully they'll have a song list to choose from with a mix of stuff we wouldn't normally expect to hear. Should be some very interesting arrangements nevertheless.

Would love to see who could do a rocking version of "I've Got a Feeling".

corianderstem said:
I didn't think Alaina acted entitled - I think she had a genuine reaction. Franky, I'm surprised that doesn't happen more often.

I agree

corianderstem said:

Also, going off of what looked like Kady's genuine shock, I wonder if Kady was so sure she'd be going and she'd convinced Alaina she'd be okay, so it was a bigger shock? I don't know. I felt bad for her, but am not sorry she's gone.

I'm still snickering over Robbie and his big phony rocker self being voted off. Did anyone else hear the rumor that his long rocker hair was a wig? Bwa ha haaaaa.

I hadn't heard that. That's hilarious! :lol:

It was a wig. That dude was a faker and he made my skin crawl. Goodbye and good riddance.

Also...is it Tuesday yet?

Wow, I need to get a life.

^ Yeah but he nailed Britney Spears, so there's that at least.

Re: Beatles night, all I ask is that America wise up and bounce Amanda. I predict she'll give us a hideous rendition of Helter Skelter, producing copious swearing in the CT house.

Just read a small article in the USA Today paper that American Idol Is doing the Charity Show that they did last year on April 9th. A roster include Bono, Fergie, Annie Lennox & John Legend. More artists will be announced.

Strip club: 'Idol' once danced here

By DERRIK J. LANG, AP Entertainment Writer 14 minutes ago

"American Idol" contestant David Hernandez once entertained audiences by removing his clothes instead of singing tunes, a manager at a male strip club in Phoenix told The Associated Press.

The 24-year-old finalist from Glendale, Ariz., once worked as a stripper at Dick's Cabaret, appearing fully nude and performing lap dances for the club's "mostly male" clientele, club manager Gordy Bryan said Monday.

"He had the look and the type that people like, so he made pretty good money here," Bryan said.

It's not clear whether a history as a stripper could disqualify Hernandez from the competition. In 2003, finalist Frenchie Davis was dismissed because of her appearance on an adult Web site; but last year, Antonella Barba remained in the competition after racy photos of her surfaced on the Internet.

Fox spokeswomen Jill Hudson did not immediately return telephone calls seeking comment Monday.

According to Bryan, Hernandez steadily worked at the club for three years until September 30, 2007.

"He never renewed his licensing with the state, so he hasn't been on my roster since then," Bryan said.

Bryan said he was aware that Hernandez was a vocalist, but that Hernandez never sang at the club. Bryan said he now believes Hernandez stopped working at the club because of his participation in "American Idol." Hernandez has never been referred to as a stripper or former stripper during the Fox singing competition.

Rumors of a stripper past — along with photos of a scantily clad Hernandez working as a bartender at gay nightclub Burn — were first posted last week on VoteForTheWorst.com, a site that encourages "Idol" viewers to vote for "the bad and truly entertaining contestants."

"It was like moths to a flame," said VoteForTheWorst.com founder Dave Della Terza. "As soon as I posted that, we started getting 10, 20 letters every single day from people saying, 'Yeah, he's a stripper in Phoenix.'"

Terza and other members of VoteForTheWorst.com community scoured MySpace, Photobucket and other social networking and photo sharing sites to find information and images of Hernandez. Terza said he contacted the club to confirm the Internet chatter, but they never got back to him.

"They said they couldn't give me a statement before talking to their lawyers," said Terza.

Hernandez, who originally auditioned for "Idol" in San Diego on July 30, 2007, is in the Fox singing competition's top 16 contestants. Last week, he earned rave reviews from the judges after his performance of The Temptations' "Papa Was a Rolling Stone." He is scheduled to perform with the other male contestants on Tuesday's show.

Personally, I think his past is none of America's business, but I would imagine the people at AI are very big on image.

bonosgirl84 said:
Personally, I think his past is none of America's business, but I would imagine the people at AI are very big on image.

I agree. We'll get to discuss the AI double standard again though, so there's that. My guess is they end up booting him for this :(

bonosgirl84 said:

QFT

Look - who has a perfect (boring) past? He had a job, needed to make a living. Who are we to judge him for that. I don't think it should matter. Another contestant...
MORE SEXY PHOTOS FROM “IDOL” RAMIELE MALUBAY

CelebTV.com has unearthed more risque photographs of “American Idol” finalist Ramiele Malubay.

Last week CelebTV.com uncovered racy photos of Malubay, 20, goofing around with some girlfriends on a fan Facebook page.

Newly discovered photos show the singer is similar poses with what appears to be coworkers. Yahoo TV reports that Malubay was a hostess at a local sushi restaurant in her hometown of Miramar, Fla.

What are they gonna do, start booting everyone for being a teenager/20-something person growing up & doing wild things & having fun? No, I haven't seen the pictures, nor do I care to. It's a singing competition.

Everyone has a past, so frickin' what. It didn't stop GWB from being president, did it?

:|

Curiosity got the best of me and I went and looked for the "racy" pics of Ramiele.

Let me tell you there is nothing in those pictures that you won't find on ANY college girl's Facebook or Myspace. Hardly anything to get up in arms about, and Idol cetainly won't kick her off. Especially since they didn't kick off Antonella last year (whose pictures were actually far more risque than these of Ramiele)

I also don't think they will kick off David Hernandez. At least I don't think they should.

Anyway, the show is back on tonight! :up:

120 hours without Idol...I've begun experiencing the first stages of serious withdrawal. :wink:

Source: 'Idol' stripper to stay

By DERRIK J. LANG, AP Entertainment Writer

David Hernandez won't be stripped of his chance to compete on "American Idol."

A person close to the show, who is not authorized to comment publicly and asked not to be identified, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that there were no plans to remove Hernandez from the Fox singing competition — despite the semifinalist's past as a male stripper.

The 24-year-old from Glendale, Ariz., once worked as an adult entertainer at Dick's Cabaret in Phoenix, appearing fully nude and performing lap dances for the club's "mostly male" clientele, strip club manager Gordy Bryan told the AP on Monday.

In 2003, semifinalist Frenchie Davis was dismissed from "Idol" because of her appearance on an adult Web site, but Antonella Barba remained in the competition last year after racy photos of her surfaced on the Internet. The source who confirmed that Hernandez will remain said Davis' situation was different because of the site's age-themed content.

I hated Luke's version of "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go". His voice is so thin and passionless. He's a boring performer too. I really hope he doesn't make it to the top 12

I loved David A. on "Another Day in Paradise". His vocals are brilliant, and I loved him on piano. It added to the intimacy and vulnerability of the song.

I loved Danny's take on "Tainted Love". His vocals are amazing as well, and he demonstrated how you can make a song current without making it crap. And I can't tell you how much I adore him. He's so feisty and adorable:heart:

David H. is the other guy who should go home tomorrow tonight. First he sang that awful Celine Dion song, and he managed to make it more boring than she does. His vocals are good but nothing special.

I LOVED, Michael's version of "Don't You Forget About Me". He sounded amazing, and he's a great performer. I almost hope he doesn't win the competition, so he can make that rock/soul album he mentioned.:drool:

David C. is not a favorite of mine, but his take on "Hello" was brilliant. I loved it way more than the original, which I just find, lame and cheesy. I don't know where Randy got an emo vibe from, though.:huh:

Jason C's take on "Hallelujah" was absolutely stunning.:bow: It was simple and gorgeous. Next to Jeff Buckley, who's version will never be touched, this might be my favorite cover of this beautiful song. I wished we could've heard him sing the whole thing.

Chickieze's version of "All The Woman I Need" was good, and his voice sounded great, but it was lacking the brilliance of his past 2 weeks. He definitely deserves to make it to the top 12.

Here's hoping Luke and David H. are gone Thursday.

Wow! David C. really surprised me tonight! If i was going to vote, it would be for him. Great performance!

Luke is 100% leaving this week. That song choice was atrocious. It's too bad, cuz he's easy on the eyes. But he's dug his own grave.

Luke and Danny need to go home. The other 6 are all very deserving of the top 12. I'd hate to see Danny take the spot of either Chikezie or David H.

David Hernandez is a nice surprise.
Peter Cook was really good.
David A. needs to juice it up a bit.
Danny go home.
Luke go home.
Chickeze and Jason will go home next week.

Michael Johns needs to get better to stay, love him anyway.

U2Fanatic4ever said:
RANDY JACKSON = DUMBASS.. :mad:

I'm not sure if you're referring to this or not, but someone needs to tell Randy that INXS did not sing Don't You Forget About Me.

And was it just me, or did anyone else hear Simon saying something about "...a stripper" at the tail end of David H's song?

Ah, judges. Not immune from scuttlebutt.

Paula's drug of choice tonight: quaaludes. Excellent. My drug of choice? Jameson’s, and therefore this will be long and rambling. Sorry.

Luke - It's kind of amazing how such a silly, happy song can so clearly spell demise for an Idol singer. He actually sounded fine and George Michael is a good fit for his voice, but my god. The cheese here turned me lactose intolerant. I doubt “Father Figure” was on the list of available songs (I hear they only get 50 to choose from, which is bullshit), but if it was he probably could have pulled an Ace Young and saved himself for another week. So cute. So doomed.

David A. - This kid is going to win this whole fucking thing, isn’t he?

Okay, I give. Yeah, he's too young. Yeah, his ridiculously vague "this song is for people who don't have anything and calls attention to that" was pure Miss America -- and he was actually sincere when he said that! Wow. My black, cynical heart cannot comprehend that. But I have a confession here: I freaking love Phil Collins. I grew up on cheesy 80s music, and Phil-fronted Genesis and his solo stuff is exactly the kind of thing I listened to in elementary school. And I didn't know David played piano, so good on him for that. Uncle, Idol. You win. I can't dislike this kid. It'd be like getting angry at a cute fuzzy bunny. He’s like Josh Groban: amazing voice, over-the-top-sincerity, and kinda robot-like. The favored contestant for the grandmothers of the world.

Danny - Oh, Danny. You forever earned my love and respect for mocking Simon's moose-antlers hand gesture from last week. I think you're fabulous. I want to hang out with you and go shopping and gossip and eat Ben & Jerry’s out of the carton and paint each other’s toenails while we watch Project Runway together. So why, why do you insist on singing songs a full step lower than you need to? Your lower register is ass. I know this and America knows this. I don't think you know this, which is weird because otherwise you‘re pretty self-aware, which is the only reason I don‘t hate you. You started the song so low that the big "money" notes were right in the middle of your range, which isn't impressing anybody. Sing. In. A. Higher. Key. Arrgg. So frustrating, especially since I think the arrangement was awesome.

David H. - A guy singing a Celine Dion song is gayer than Danny Noriega, and not in a good way, because the way in which Danny is gay is fucking awesome. Vocally, it was probably the strongest of the night. Isn’t the original version of this song 12 minutes long or something? It feels that way, even when it’s condensed into a minute and a half. I dunno here; it was a strange mix of “really good” and “competent, but who gives a shit?” Not sure what to think of this one.

Michael - Finally, something decent from him! Great song, but I think Randy is confusing Simple Minds with INXS, because I still don’t buy the Michael Hutchence comparison, which is only slightly less blasphemous than it was in previous weeks. Unlike most of the guys, Michael’s solid with his lower register, so this worked, and it was smart to add the key change at the end, because we know how Idol loves its loud glory notes.

David C. - My first “holy shit!” moment of the night when I realized what song he was singing. I loves me some Lionel Ritchie, be it in his badass-afro-wearing-with-the-Commodores phase or his greasy-jeri-curl-solo-artist phase. My second “holy shit!” came when I realized this was really, really good. Luke took a cheesy song and did nothing with it; David Cook took a cheesy song and actually made it interesting. His voice is better than what I had originally thought; nice falsetto. Smart. Very, very smart.

Jason - My third “holy shit!” of the night. Jeff Buckley? Wow. (And yeah, I know it’s a Leonard Cohen song, but Mr. Buckley owns this one and we all know it.)

I sometimes worry about Jason, because as I mentioned earlier, Idol is all about loud singers and big glory notes. Jason is not about either of these things. He’s got a really cool tone to his voice that I love, and (as Paula pointed out in her one moment of clarity) he’s really clever with his phrasing. Everything I like about him is subtle, and Idol just doesn’t do subtle -- which is why I was shocked when Simon praised this, because he’s usually spot-on but he has that same glory-note blind spot that the rest of the show has. Luckily for Jason, he’s incredibly good-looking in an interesting and memorable way, which kind of offsets the fact that he’s not a belter. This was almost perfect, save for that one falsetto note at the end. That note killed me, because without it, it might have been one of my favorite performances on the show, ever -- a beautiful, classic song that wasn’t oversung (*coughDavidImaginecough*). Some songs need to be reinterpreted (“Hello“), and some just don’t need to be fucked with (“Hallelujah,” “Imagine”). Well played, Jason.

Chikezie - A really excellent vocal on a very hard song to sing, but he had the misfortune to perform after David Cook and Jason. I’m in the same place with Chikezie as I am with David Hernandez: really great voice, interesting song choice, and would never in a million years buy an album or a concert ticket. They’re like the two greatest cruise ship singers in the world. And hey, that’s not an insult to either of them. The world needs cruise ship singers too, and most people couldn’t pull that shit off if they tried. So: very good, but not a chance in hell of winning this competition, so why bother?

Best of the night: David C. and Jason.
Honorable mention: Michael.
Going home: definitely Luke, and probably Danny (dammit), though I could see a surprise elimination in the form of David H. or Chikezie.

Allanah said:
David A. - This kid is going to win this whole fucking thing, isn’t he?

I really hope not.

What I do hope? Is that the more Simon keeps saying shit about him winning, or being top two, the more the viewing/voting public will say "No, I don't think so" and then it'll all blow up in Simon's face and he'll get all bitter about it for the rest of the season.

Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom