American Idol - Season 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chikezie earned himself a new fan tonight :up:

Still...bring on the girls!

BROOKE WHITE for the win please. What a sweetheart :drool:

Michael - Rumours is one of my favorite albums of ever. Don't fuck with that, please... aw, he fucked with it. Too strained in his higher register, and I'm still getting nothing more than "competent bar-band" from him. He's blandly cute and I love Aussie accents, but I'm just not getting the love here. And I see he plays tennis -- now if he only looked liked Marat Safin. Mmm, Marat.

Jason C. - Still adorable, but it's never a good idea to pick a song where the backup singers do the heavy lifting on the chorus. And he looks almost EXACTLY like Cuddy on House, and it's kind of freaking me out. Better than the judges gave him credit for, though.

Luke - No. Just -- no. Step away from the Queen and apologize to Freddie Mercury right this minute.

Robbie - So this whole "authenticity" thing... while I don't doubt that he loves rock music, the problem is that his voice is made for pop. Sorry, dude, but you sound weird on rock songs. Also, you're kind of a dick and it looks like you're wearing a wig.

David H. - A million times better this week. Great song, great vocal, and all the personality of a toaster oven. It's a shame, really.

Danny - He sounded like hot buttered ass on the low notes, but still better than last week's doomed gay Elvis performance. I bet he'd make a kickass shopping partner.

Jason Y. - He scares the shit out of me. His giant head and giant teeth are seconds away from leaping off my screen and attacking me. Vocally it was fine, but he smiles obliviously through his songs like a beauty pageant princess. It's annoying and disconcerting, but he's going home this week so it's all good.

Chikezie - When Ryan said he was singing Donnie Hathaway, I prepared myself for "Someday We'll All Be Free" to be butchered, so I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed this, Carlton Banks wardrobe aside.

David C. - Dude, cut your losses and shave your head already. You think you're fooling anyone with that comb-forward? A good bar-band performance.

David A. - Best vocal of the night by a million miles. Performance-wise, I'd say that the oversinging of a beautiful, simple John Lennon song by a doe-eyed teenager is kind of unforgivable, but I haven't reached the hate-and-cynicism stage with this kid yet. He knows not what he does, so I'll let it slide. I'm sure he'll make a ton of money on Broadway, so good for him.

Going home: Jason Y. and either Luke or Robbie.

Allanah said:

Jason C. - Still adorable, but it's never a good idea to pick a song where the backup singers do the heavy lifting on the chorus. And he looks almost EXACTLY like Cuddy on House, and it's kind of freaking me out. Better than the judges gave him credit for, though.

OMG!!! I saw your post, and was watching the recap at the end of the show. You are so right! :lol:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, David A. was pretty good. Chikezie & Danny H. much improved (better song choices). Michael was just alright, but I don't want him going home just yet.

He is so freaking adorable, I can't stand it

David_Archuleta.jpg

American Idol-The Top 10 Guys Perform

This week the theme is 1970s week, a decade of Watergate, the oil crisis and a lovely shade of Harvest Gold. All the guys are raring to go. The judges are introduced. Randy tells the contestants they have to be in it to win it. Paula says some incoherent babble about growing into a new level. And Simon gets blunt and tells us that only three guys have “it” and the rest are basically cannon fodder. So good to start out the night on a positive note.

Michael Johns tells us that he’s a huge jock, but with his Aussie accent I first thought he said he was a huge jerk. Michael loves to play tennis after hearing his tuneless rendition of “Go Your Own Way” I guess he’s got some kind of racket going on. Ugh. I was not impressed. This song is about a bitter break up, but Michael does not connect with the lyrics at all. I guess he’s not aware of the romantic entanglements of Fleetwood Mac. Plus, his bouncing up and down made me wonder if he had to pee.

Jason “Dazed and Confused” Castro mentions that he gets very nervous when he does interviews. Aw, Jason, just take another bong hit and you’ll be fine. Jason brings out his guitar and sings the disco cheese of Andy Gibb’s “I Just Want to Be Your Everything.” Jason changes things a bit, and gives this song a laid back, sunny, folk vibe. His voice isn’t sublime, but I like him because he is different. However, I want to see him perform without his guitar. I don’t want it to become too much of a crutch.

Luke Menard belongs to an a capella group called Chapter 6, and they’ve toured all over the world. Now he’s solo singing the Queen classic “Killer Queen.” I’m not sure if this is the best song choice for Luke. Freddie Mercury had one of the most iconic voices in rock and roll, plus he just oozed majestic-like charisma. Menard’s voice is too thin, and he’s so clean cut. My friend Nora would call him very "Moody Bible College Student." Luke just doesn’t have a strong rock vibe. Still, he is my Idol eye candy, so I wouldn’t mind him sticking around.

Robbie Carrico likes to drag race. Well, I wish he’d drag a brush through his dang hair! Robbie sings Foreigner’s “Hot Blooded” and it’s more like room temperature blooded. Lou Gramm is another notable voice that you don’t want to be compared with because you’ll usually come up short. Despite the rock and roll accouterments, Robbie just can’t shake his boy band past. And the more he keeps claiming he’s a rocker the less I’m going to believe him. Still, he gives a pretty decent performance and his voice sounds good.

Danny Noriega is next, and punk rock’s loss is our gain. Aren’t we lucky? Danny sings the Carpenters, “Superstar.” His voice is fine, but he’s way too aware that he’s in the spotlight!!! Jazz hands!!! Danny stop being fabulous, and just go with the song. Still, he is one of the most entertaining contestants this year personality-wise. And as I mentioned already, I do have a soft spot for theatrical, gay teenage boys. I hope sticks around. But does anyone remember when Ruben Studdard sang “Superstar” in season two? His version was a highlight of the season.

David Hernandez used to do gymnastics but refrains from doing back flips across the stage. Instead he sings “Papa Was a Rolling Stone.” He’s very comfortable on stage, and his voice sounds wonderful, but there is something too Broadway about his performance. But compared to what we’ve had earlier in the evening, I think David is safe. He shows lots of potential.

Jason Yeager plays many instruments but he won’t get many votes from me. I just found something so smarmy and insincere about this guy, but I can’t put my finger on what it is. He sings the Doobie Brothers’ “Long Train Runnin’” and it is pure karaoke. Plus, must he sing with a Miss America Pageant-like smile? It’s as if he’s the male Kat McPhee. Jason is way too corny and I’m not impressed with his stage skills.

Chickeze Eze seems to be getting his decades mixed up with his outfits. Last week he wore a 1970s leisure suit for 1960s week, and this week he’s wearing the 1980s preppy duo-polo shirts look. Is he going to bring out the 1990s grunge-flannel look next week during 1980s week? And I do think he’s going to be around next week because his performance of Donny Hathaway’s “I Believe to My Soul” is one of the best of the night. (Though I did prefer Elliott Yamin’s version from two season’s ago.) Chickeze brought lots of energy to his performance and his voice sounded superb. He really does have a throwback soul, R & B sound that I like. And I loved his snark on Simon’s fashion sense and Simon’s expansive collection of moob-enhancing sweaters.

Last week I was kind of meh on David Cook. Then he mentions he’s a word nerd and I get all tingly!!! Hey David, you and me babe for a game of Scrabble. You can show me your triple word score. David sings “All Right Now” and accompanies himself with his electric guitar. Fans self . There is something about a boy and an electric guitar. David’s voice is not perfect, and I think he’s better off fronting a band than winning Idol’s crown. But I do like David’s performance. However, I don’t think Robbie is going to appreciate David being considered a real rocker.

David Archuleta met the original recipe American Idol contestants, and now he’s being marked as this year’s winner. Gee, judges. Let us make our own decisions. David sings “Imagine.” I was a bit put off by him starting out with the third verse, and the overblown melisma. But his voice is pure and clear. He did make this song a bit too much of middle school graduation song but that is probably due to his young age. Despite the excessive tongue baths this kid gets, I just can’t hate him. He’s as cute as puppies in hats!!! But did he bring his entire high school class with him? His peanut gallery cheering was bigger than anyone else’s!

After a rather less than impressive evening, I’m hoping the girls bring it. Boys’ night was kind of boring. I think Chickeze, David Hernandez and David Cook did a pretty good job, but they are miles away from some past performances I still remember. But who will leave us? Please let one of them be Jason Yeager. He can’t leave fast enough.

Allanah said:
Michael - Rumours is one of my favorite albums of ever. Don't fuck with that, please... aw, he fucked with it. Too strained in his higher register, and I'm still getting nothing more than "competent bar-band" from him. He's blandly cute and I love Aussie accents, but I'm just not getting the love here. And I see he plays tennis -- now if he only looked liked Marat Safin. Mmm, Marat.

Luke - No. Just -- no. Step away from the Queen and apologize to Freddie Mercury right this minute.

Robbie - So this whole "authenticity" thing... while I don't doubt that he loves rock music, the problem is that his voice is made for pop. Sorry, dude, but you sound weird on rock songs. Also, you're kind of a dick and it looks like you're wearing a wig.

David H. - A million times better this week. Great song, great vocal, and all the personality of a toaster oven. It's a shame, really.

Danny - He sounded like hot buttered ass on the low notes, but still better than last week's doomed gay Elvis performance. I bet he'd make a kickass shopping partner.

Jason Y. - He scares the shit out of me. His giant head and giant teeth are seconds away from leaping off my screen and attacking me. Vocally it was fine, but he smiles obliviously through his songs like a beauty pageant princess. It's annoying and disconcerting, but he's going home this week so it's all good.

Chikezie - When Ryan said he was singing Donnie Hathaway, I prepared myself for "Someday We'll All Be Free" to be butchered, so I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed this, Carlton Banks wardrobe aside.

David C. - Dude, cut your losses and shave your head already. You think you're fooling anyone with that comb-forward? A good bar-band performance.

David A. - Best vocal of the night by a million miles. Performance-wise, I'd say that the oversinging of a beautiful, simple John Lennon song by a doe-eyed teenager is kind of unforgivable, but I haven't reached the hate-and-cynicism stage with this kid yet. He knows not what he does, so I'll let it slide. I'm sure he'll make a ton of money on Broadway, so good for him.

Going home: Jason Y. and either Luke or Robbie.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Ugh, i hate that Robbie dude. I'd rather see him go than Luke. But it doesn't really matter cuz neither of them will make Top 6 anyway.

Spot on review! :rockon:

I was willing to give the cute Luke another chance, but he really, really needs to go. I think Jason Yeager will be the other one leaving tomorrow. I think Simon was too harsh on him, but he's still probably the weakest of the others. I'm not a Robbie fan, but I don't see him leaving. Jason Y's a little interchangable with some of the other guys.

I thought David H was by far the best of the night. Great song, great voice, great performance. I liked David A too, although I tend to tune out when anyone starts warbling through Imagine. But I can't deny he's got a lovely voice.

Last edited:
I think all this early praise for David A. may hurt him in the end. Alot of times, the winners don't pick up steam until the end. Last season, all the praise was for Melinda and Lakisha and we know how that turned out. But David does have the young vote on his side, so he may be able to keep pulling votes throughout. We still have a long ways to go!

If I got to pick my perfect Top 12 it would go like this.

Girls-
1. Amanda
2. Syesha
3. Alex
4. Asia'h
5. Ramiele
6. Brooke

Guys
1. Michael
2. David A.
3 Danny
4. Chickeze
5. Jason C.
6. Robbie

What would be yours?

My top 12:

1. Brooke
2. Brooke
3. Brooke
4. Kristy Lee
5. Brooke
6. Brooke
7. Chikezie
8. Brooke
9. Alaina
10. David A.
11. Brooke
12. Brooke

I haven't seen enough to pick them all yet. I'm fairly ambivalent on most of the women so far, but I think my top two gals are Carly and Ramiele.

I know these guys are young but can we get anymore predictable with songs from the 70s? So many great obscure tunes that they could do to make their own. I thought it was a crap night with ok performances with David A's vocals standing out, and what I thought was the best performer of the evening, Chikezie. I'm not even that keen on the guy but he pulled something off.

Speaking of David A, I'm at the point now where he's getting a bit annoying and feel it's only going to get worse. I reckon our female contingent would disagree which is fair enough. He had fantastic vocals, but how many times do we have to hear Imagine. For me, it's at the point of being cliche.

Overground, I'm with you on some of that (song choice, David A).

I've always been curious about how that works - do they get a list of "approved" songs to choose from? Are they assigned a song?

There was an interview with Garrett Haley last week where he said he got to pick three songs as choices, but if another singer got them first, he'd have to do another, and that's how he ended up with the crappy Paul Anka song. (It was something like that, I'm sure I don't have that exactly right.)

If that's the case (or nearly the case), it's a pretty raw deal to bag the singers for a poor song choice, but I wouldn't be surprised about it. That's the way things go in Idol world.

So much stuff on Idol seems unfair, but at this stage in the game, anyone expecting a "fair" competition with no pimping of a contestant over the others, and ideas like "everyone just gets one vote" and the performers have total control over what they sing ... that's just a big ball of naivete. For the audience AND the contestants.

It is what it is - a pop culture phenomenon. I don't even know that the producers are surprised when a winner's record sales are poor. By this point it seems like the whole thing is more about the show and the event itself, not about finding some marketable, successful singer. They should just accept that and adapt the show to it.

It's like AMerica's Next Top Model - Tyra and Co. can talk until they're blue in the face about looking for someone high fashion and who can be this great spokesperson, but they should just accept that the winner will get the one Cover Girl ad and become a C-list celebrity (although to be fair, there do seem to be a number of contestants and winners getting a good amount of real-life modeling work, commercial and runway).

Wow, I do tend to ramble on, don't I .... :reject:

*****SPOILER ALERT***** from mjsbigblog

THE most reliable spoiler out there right now, Joesplace, just posted song spoilers for the Top 10 Girls on her blog. The girls taped their performance show tonight. Check out what the girls sang and in what order…

After the jump…

1. Carly Smithson – “Crazy On You” by Heart
2. Syesha Mercado – “Me And Mr. Jones (changed from Mrs. to Mr.) by Billy Paul
3. Brooke White – “You’re So Vain” by Carly Simon
4. Ramiele Malubay – “Don’t Leave Me This Way” by Thelma Houston
5. Kristy Lee Cook – “You’re No Good” by Linda Ronstadt
6. Amanda Overmyer – “Carry On My Wayward Son” by Kansas
7. Alaina Whitaker – “Hopelessly Devoted To You” by Olivia Newton-John
8. Alexandrea Lushington – “If You Leave Me Now” by Chicago
9. Kady Malloy – “Magic Man” by Heart
10. Asia’h Epperson – All By Myself by Celine Dion

ETA: According to Joesplace, “In general the judges hated the songs and the performances. While there were a few positives with individuals (Simon loved a performance and Paula and Randy didn’t for instance), the judges didn’t like the girls tonight.”

Getty photos here. Brooke White plays guitar…

ETAA: Also from Joesplace, “Also, another tidbit: There is a list of 50 songs to choose from. The contestants pick 3 and the judges pick the one they will sing. Strange, I know, but it is accurate none the less.”

NOT fair. It gives the judges leverage they shouldn’t have–they can hand out the best songs to the favored contestants and screw with the others.

:shh:

Ooh, there are a couple on there I'm looking forward to. And a little :yikes: at the thought of a certain someone doing a song by a certain band. I believe either she'll crash and burn, or she'll lower the key enough to be able to sing it well.

Oh, I'll name names. I just won't spoil songs. :wink:

I'm excited to her Carly, Ramiele and Syesha. I'm doing :yikes: about Kady. That song is really hard to sing.

And thanks for the tidbit about song choice. That sounds about right. And by "right" I don't mean fair, I mean "well, considering it's American Idol and owning a few ounces of cynicism, that seems about right."

:wink:

Ok I cant figure out how to quote in code :mad: There's no font that matches exactly. Anyway, I dont get it. The judges are always bitching to them about 'poor song choice. I dont know why you picked that song' and they're the ones that actually pick the songs??? wtf.

I can't stand Alaina, Kady or Kristy Lee. If there was a way to vote them all off this week, I'd love it. I don't know the song Kady is singing, but I love the ones Kristy Lee and Alaina are singing, so if they ruin them, which I'm expecting, I hope it's them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom