American Idol - Season 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts for tonight:
Kristy Lee, Joanne, Alaina, Amy, and Kady were a big pile of :| .
I thought Amy and Kady sounded ok, but they were incredibly boring performers. Kristy Lee, Joanne, and Alaina were boring performers and their vocals were just not good. I did not understand the praise for Alaina. She did not connect with the song at all and I didn't believe a word she sung.

My favorites
1. Amanda (I just wish she would've picked a different song, but her vocals are :drool: )
2. Asia'h
3. Alex
4. Syesha
5. Brooke
6. Ramiele
7. Carly

I love Ramiele and Carly's vocals, but I wish they would've picked different songs as well. It made their performances bland, for me. Amanda, for example, didn't pick the best song, but her performance was awesome!

ultravioletluvv said:
Did anyone else notice that Carly Smithson was not there with the other girls last night? I wondered if all the controversy made them give her the boot. But then i saw they've been promoting her on commericals, so who knows.

I'm not sure whether all this publicity will help or hurt her. I guess we'll find out.

She was one of the girls who was sick, maybe thats why she wasn't there. :shrug:

Boy. that was a boring show... why did they pick all these ballads... :tsk:

As usual, Simon was spot on. There are 3 girls and 3 guys which are clearly much better than the rest of the pack.

And if this Archuleta kid wins it, I am boicotting American Idol next year. If my son ever ends up like him, I will force him to change his last name...

JCOSTER said:

She was one of the girls who was sick, maybe thats why she wasn't there. :shrug:

Randy said Carly was the best so far of the 24...I totally think he was wrong I the Michael Johns was and I also think Ramiele was one of the best girls.

I thought Ramiele was the best tonight, but I liked Syesha and Carly also.

Carly wasn't there last night because she was (is) sick. Kristi left early, also.

Way too many wavy blonde girls. At least half of them need to go.

I actually thought the Britney Spears impersonator girl has a decent voice. There's just a vibe she gives off that isn't good.

All of the black girls kicked ass, except the first one, the plus-sized model.

Don't like the rock girl with the skunk head. She may be different, but she's gonna get old real quick. I actually only got through half her song before i fast forwarded and it's only the first week. I just knew what to expect.

I think boring Amy and Joanne are gone tomorrow night.

Overall though, i think this season has a lot of potential for some great vocalists.

While I'm pleasantly surprised that Amanda didn't sing Janis Joplin, I really don't like her look. It makes her look like she's 40 or something.

And she still needs to impress me. Anyone that's represented as a "rocker" on Idol either a) doesn't last very long; or b) does the same thing every week and gets old really fast.

Edit: start to finish, Amy Davis singing "where the Boys Are" was really, really, really, really awful. Maybe the worst I've heard over two nights so far. And that's counting Garret Haley. :huh:

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
While I'm pleasantly surprised that Amanda didn't sing Janis Joplin, I really don't like her look. It makes her look like she's 40 or something.

And she still needs to impress me. Anyone that's represented as a "rocker" on Idol either a) doesn't last very long; or b) does the same thing every week and gets old really fast.

Edit: start to finish, Amy Davis singing "where the Boys Are" was really, really, really, really awful. Maybe the worst I've heard over two nights so far. And that's counting Garret Haley. :huh:

I totally agree.

I liked Syesha, Ramiele, Asia'h, Alexandréa. I didn't care for Carly's song choice, but it was alright. I know Maddy liked Brooke, but she didn't see past the first 5 contestants (we taped it, she has too much homework tonight). I was hoping for better from Joanne. And 'Where The Boys Are'? :|

American Idol-The Top 12 Girls Perform

The boys are in the dawg pound and now it’s time for the girls to show us what they got. Will they bring girl power or make Golightly Grrl glower? A nasty flu has hit some of the contestants, and Chez Golightly Grrl. Fortunately, I have cold syrup and Riesling to medicate me. No, Paula, you can’t have any.

Kristy Lee Cook can’t sing “Amazing Grace” because it’s 1960s night, not 1860s night. So instead she sings “Rescue Me.” Kristy is perfectly serviceable but nothing we haven’t seen at beauty pageants and high school talent shows. She needed to pick a song with more of a country flavor. I’ll probably forget her by the end of the night.

Joanne Borgella sings “I Say a Little Prayer.” She has a weak lower register, and sounds pitchy. Furthermore, she has such lethargic stage skills like she just got up from a nap. Joanne seems nervous and unsure of herself. Nothing grabbed me and made me take notice. This plus-sized model gave a minus-sized performance.

Alaina “Birthday Girl” Whitaker-Is it just me or does Alaina look like a non-knocked up Jamie Lynn Spears? Alaina starts out “I Love You More Today (Than Yesterday)” with a slightly torchy vibe, and then just falls apart. She doesn’t have good control of her vocals, and at times she sounded way too sharp. But she does have confidence and seems comfortable on stage. This might save her for another week.

Amanda Overmyer-More like Amanda Over-rated. She sings “Baby, Please Don’t Go” and I’m just not impressed. The scatting doesn’t work, and she performs like a chain smoking, 75-year-old bar fly. I’m all for a rocker girl on AI, but Amanda is not Joan Jett, Ann Wilson or Pat Benatar. Fronting cover band at some dive, maybe, but getting the Idol crown? I don’t think so. Still, she has her fans. I don’t see her leaving us very soon.

Amy Davis sings “Where the Boys Are.” Her voice is all over the place. Change the song to “Where the Notes Are” because she needs to find them. She may have also Jason Yeager-ed herself with such an old song. And her performance itself was so dull and forgettable. Plus, Paula compliments her looks. If Paula says you look good then what she really is saying is that your singing sucked. I think Amy is a goner. But wait it minute. Did the judges say that Patsy Cline sang this song? Nope, it was Connie Francis. Eeesh.

Brooke “Simon Will Not Take Me to the Dark Side” White sings “Happy Together” and I can’t think of a better song for one of the sweetest Idol contestants ever. Her voice is warm and inviting and she is a good performer. Yea, she’s a bit dorky, but it works. And her hubby is fine!!! Yet, as much as I like Brooke, I wonder if how she’ll do with other theme nights. I hope she sticks around so I can find out.

Alexandrea Lushington sings “Spinning Wheel” and is fierce as her drag queen name! Her voice is top notch and she can really work the stage! She never faltered once during the song, and yes, she did make it current. We finally have a show!! But where was great grandma? She’s supposed to be this year’s Claudette Yamin.

Kady Malloy is cute when she imitates Britney Spears (fortunately with her panties on), but needs more oomph when she performs. Her voice sounds lovely during “A Groovy Kind of Love,” but I wish she would have sung a song that would have showcased her fun personality a bit more. She might be a goner with Amy. And her pouting during the judges’ critique was not endearing.

Asiah’ Epperson hasn’t dropped the last name, but give her a few weeks. Asia’h sings “Piece of My Heart” and totally brings the “wow” factor (though she shouldn’t have smiled so much; the song doesn’t call for it). There were times she didn’t quite enunciate the lyrics, but her voice held up and she really got the audience going giving this song a soul vibe. Asia’h just got on the stage and delivered! I think she’s safe.

Ramiele Maluby sings “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me.” If you sing a Dusty Springfield you better bring it. Not only does Ramiele bring it, she brangs it!!!!! Ramiele has perfect control of her vocals. She can be tender and subtle, and then belt without being melisma-city. I think Ramiele has the potential to surprise us week after week. But I do have one question. How tiny is she? Even wee Ryan towered over her.

Syesha Mercado sings “Tobacco Road.” Hmm, maybe she’ll be the rocker girl AI needs. I didn’t think this song would work for Syesha but it does. Her voice is in fine form, and she shows plenty of rock swagger without being a poser like some of the guys in the competition. I guess some people don't need a wallet chain to show true rock cred. I look forward to seeing more of Syesha in upcoming weeks.

Carly Smithson gets the final spot of pimpage. Gee, what a surprise. Carly sings “Shadow of You Smile.” I wish she’d go sit in the shadow of somebody else, because I’m sick of her being shoved down my throat as is she is the saving grace of American Idol. The best vocal of the Top 24? I don’t think so. Yea, Carly is talented but she doesn’t blow me away. She could get voted off and I would not care.

As with the top 12 guys, I had my favorite top 12 girls. I loved Alexandrea, Asia’h, Ramiele, and Syesha. I continue to like Brooke though she hardly had the best performance of the night. I’m already sick of Amanda and Carly. And Kristy Lee, Joanne Borgella, Alaina Whitaker, Amy and Kady can be filed under “meh.” Who will survive and who will get the Idol boot? Any predictions?

I'm hoping Alaina, Kristy Lee, and/or Joanne are gone tonight. I loathed all of their performances. I definitely wouldn't be disappointed if Amy or Kady were gone either. The others, I want to see stick around.

As for the boys, I hope Jason Y. and Luke are gone. I wouldn't mind if David H. or Chickeze were gone either. I'd like to see more from Garrett, so I hope he does stick around even though his performances wasn't great.

Golightly Grrl said:
Change the song to “Where the Notes Are” because she needs to find them.

Bwa ha haaaaa!

I actually like Carly and don't feel she's being shoved down our throats (yet). there's a lot of focus on her, and she's gotten a lot of airtime, but I think we're getting more throat-shoving for Kristy Lee Cook, who bores me to freaking tears.

Carly's got the chops. Didn't care for her song choice last night, but that's okay.

I loved Ramiele - I hope she makes it far on the show.

I dont like the black haired rocker chick.

I like A'shia or however you spell her name, and the little asian girl that sang at the end.

Wow was last night's show BORING! Don't they learn after how many seasons that the upbeat songs are better? I got up to snack everytime a ballad came on. I was stuffed by the end of the show.

I thought it was a bit ridiculous when Simon was dissapointed when Carly didn't live up to Kelly Clarkson or Fantasia, yet the rocker chick, who I thought was terrible, got positive reviews because of her pants. What's that about?

I also had to laugh when it looked like Kady Malloy was trying her hardest not to give the judges the finger when they told her she was bad. She was so pissed...even at the end of the show she STILL looked pissed. Funny times.

the best girls last night IMO were
Alexandrea, Ramiele and surprisingly to me at least Alaina

I thought the rest were forgettable Amy's was just awful and I switched channels during Carly's ...I can't stand that droning way of singing:huh:
I much more enjoyed the guys performances.

"Where the Boys Are" was quite possibly the worst vocal in the history of this show. My cat yowled in protest, and she still sounded better than Amy.

Overall, really freaking boring. I like Brooke despite myself and Alaina performed well. Syesha's pretty decent. If a package of Marlboro Reds could sing and had really bad hair, then you've got Amanda. Ramiele owned all of them.

I'm ok with all of these people being gone. I'm glad we got rid of some of the mediocre singers early as opposed to having another Jon Peter Lewis, Katharine McPhee, Sanjaya, Haley Scarnato, etc.

I am OK too with who left tonight...but Ryan was a bit harsh the way he did it tonight....especially to the 1st guy...."come on up here...you're out!"

OMG and how about the Paula Abdul video...I wonder how much they had to pay to use every wind machine in LA for the video shoot!:lol:

No big surprises tonight. There's way too many average singers at this point. I'm looking forward to weeding more of them out next week. It will all depend on their performances, but i'm hoping to see Kristy Lee, Brooke, Moon River dude, and Chicazee gone next week.

I'm glad Luke Perry survived the cut. He deserved another chance. I feel bad for some of these people getting criticized for song choice when the theme was the 60's. I mean, what do the judges expect?

I'd love to see a list sometime of the list of songs the contestants can choose from.

I was surprised that two songs were used by both the guys and the girls: Happy Together and that I Love You More Today song that I hate so much.

I was thinking the same thing cori - if they had 50 songs to choose from, what the heck didn't they use? I mean Moon River? Come on now! It's fine in Breakfast At Tiffany's :up:

I agree that Garrett's pronouncement was too harsh. And you knew Kristy must have been freaking out when they called her first. I knew he wasn't going to cast her off the same way.

I was surprised & kinda delighted that Amanda was in the bottom 2 girls. I don't care for her, and apparently maybe not a lot of others did as well.

I thought Simon's parting words for Colton were a bit too harsh. Why the hell did he put him in the top 24 if he didn't think he had a career/chance in the music biz? He could have put Kyle thru, or even Josiah (who knows who else could have been in).

It's all in the song choice people (and singing of course) :wink:
What's next week's theme?

Speaking of Moon River being a bad choice, consider this:

it was written specifically for Audrey Hepburn to sing in Breakfast At Tiffany's, and it was specifically written so she, a non-singer with a limited range, could sing it well enough.

Is that REALLY the song you want to be singing on a singing competition? Randy or whoever it was can say whatever he wants about how it's deceptively simple, but it's really not. It's just a bad choice to show people how awesome you are at the whole singing thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom