American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Must... not get... sucked into... American Idol again... :angel:

I was totally hooked on the first series, and the last one pulled me in at the end, but for my grades' (and my sanity's) sake, I must resist.

But I really wanna watch it tonight... the episodes with the tryouts are my faves... but I have a paper to write for tomorrow :sigh: Oh well.

i just like to watch the first episode where they have the really awful auditions. Last year that guy who sang "i wanna dance with somebody who loves me" had to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

ILuvLarryMullen said:
Last year that guy who sang "i wanna dance with somebody who loves me" had to be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Aw I missed that one :( Remember the first year there was some guy named Derek who was beyond horrible? The kid kept saying he was the best singer in the country and he couldn't even sing one note! I remember they interviewed him outside after he got kicked out and he sang again and they laughed at him. Poor kid. It was really funny, though

bayernfc said:
:lol: I usually watch the first episodes for the laughter... wasn't there a guy in the commercials who did a horrible version of ISHFWILF ?

Unfortunately, yes. *Makes face*

I'll be watching this again, yeah-the auditions are always fun to watch, and it'll be interesting to see what kinds of people will make it to the top group again.

Last night's episode was...interesting. The weirdest part for me was the male army guy who came in and started spouting some stuff, then broke into a rap or something. I was like, "Wtf...?" :eyebrow: :scratch: :huh:...

I also agree with Headache-the scooter girl could get on my nerves after a while. My parents said the same thing.

I also liked when the judges were cracking up over some of these people's auditions...:p.

Angela

Yeah the guy was rapping in Chinese...dunno how he thought that that would make him the AMERICAN Idol...but you never know.

I thought Scooter Girl was great! She had a sense of humour, she could sing, and she was cute too. I figured she'd be one of those weird delusional people who think they are the shit but can't sing, but she (pleasantly) surprised me. I think if she gets to the audience voting part she'll do really well, although she has to get past the judges first.

Man this show reminds me so much of last May now. Rachel's friend got in to the Canadian Idol top 100 or something like that, and it was a huge deal for the longest time. :)

I wonder how many of these awful singers are doing it for a joke?

For instance, my sister listens to a morning radio show in Tampa 93.3 "MJ in the morning" and they sent one of their interns to the show to be awful on purpose and act like she was upset when she didn't make it. She was one of the first ones tonight, Kristen who sang the flashdance song :lol: The girl who was with her, who told the camera to "get away" is also an intern at the same radio station.

kellyahern said:
The girl who was with her, who told the camera to "get away" is also an intern at the same radio station.
Aha. I thought there was something phony about her. The girl who did the singing though was pretty convincing.

I liked Scooter Girl too :lol:. She seemed to have a bit of a Molly Shannon vibe going on.

kellyahern, I know, I wonder about that, too. Some of these people...they cannot honest to god think they're good, they just can't.

DaveC said:
Yeah the guy was rapping in Chinese...dunno how he thought that that would make him the AMERICAN Idol...but you never know.

LOL, exactly.

Originally posted by DaveC
I thought Scooter Girl was great! She had a sense of humour, she could sing, and she was cute too. I figured she'd be one of those weird delusional people who think they are the shit but can't sing, but she (pleasantly) surprised me. I think if she gets to the audience voting part she'll do really well, although she has to get past the judges first.

She had a good voice, yes-definitely agree there. But...I dunno, she seemed a little too...perky for me. :shrug:. I dunno. Maybe I'll get to like her more as time goes on. We'll see.

I loved the reaction of the guy she gave the scooter to-he was just kinda looking at it like, "Okay...what exactly am I gonna do with a scooter?"

On to last night's show...okay, what the hell was with the "A Whole New World" auditioners? One of them was doing the song Donald Duck style! Yeah...that's gonna get you in...sure...:coocoo:... But it was hilarious...I was laughing so hard.

Also, thank god that they didn't show that Pablo guy attempting to sing "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For". Why they had it in the commercial if they weren't gonna have it in the episode itself, I don't know, but whatever, I'm just so glad they didn't show that.

And, um, where'd that one dude who sang his own song about how we're all connected or whatever come from? I mean, I like people who are all "peace and love and unity" and everything...but him...yeah...little bit out there.

On a lighter note, I liked the Elvis guy. He sounded kinda like an early Stevie Wonder. Wasn't bad. :).

Finally, after seeing the previews for when they go to Houston, I just have one thing to say: Those people desperately need to learn how to take rejection better. Wow.

Angela

Wow.

Okay...I mean absolutely no offense to those of you on these boards who are either from Houston or from the surrounding areas that tonight's auditioners came from when I say this, but...that area seriously needs to deflate its collective ego a heck of a lot. It's bad enough that a very high percentage of these people sucked like nothing else, but to have an attitude on top of it...my god (and that one girl who just kept on singing over and over again...argh, SHUT UP!).

I felt so bad for Randy, Paula, and Simon tonight. That was just sad. Really, really sad (but very amusing, if I must look at the upside :p). I hope they have better luck in their next stop.

Angela

I can't believe that out of all those people only THIRTEEN got chosen for Hollywood. Damn. That's A LOT of bad auditions.

I have to admit that I watch it. It's one of those guilty pleasures that suck you in.
But I really cannot understand these people who are just painful to listen to & yet they truly believe they sound great. Is it stupidity ? Denial ? Tone deafness ?
It just boggles my mind.:scratch:

my friend tapes it so i always end up watching it at lunch at her house. the auditions are always funny but i hate the rest of the show. i think i might go out for canadian idol next time round though, if for no other reason then to make fun of the show and see if i can get on tv

I'd really like to watch one of these shows. Just once. I look at Kelly Clarkson and can't help wonder "who the hell did they turn AWAY?"

Back
Top Bottom