American Idol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John Stevens needs to be voted off of there! :down: I thought it was nice the first time but then he sings in the same tone of voice for all the songs like if it were done by the Rat Pak :tsk:

I think Camile knew she was going to be voted off cos she always had this look on her face of agony

JPL has charisma, confidence and star quality so I think that's why he's still around even though his performances keep getting worse (due in part I think to really bad song choices). I don't think he's right for this competition but he should get a band together or something.

I think people keep voting for John Stevens because he's so young. He needs more training but there's something sorta endearing about him. He should have sung something like "Your Song" instead of "Crocodile Rock" which was just disastrous.

Jennifer is scary. I hate her personality and you know she'd be a big bitchy diva if she ever got famous. Fantasia's voice does nothing for me.

George is the man. :up:

I agree that JPL and John should've been in the bottom three, along with Camille. Jasmine's performance wasn't her absolute best one the other night, no, but when you compare it to John's version of "Crocodile Rock", there's no contest. I like Jasmine, too, beli. I'm still amazed that that voice is coming out of a girl that young. She seems like a really sweet person, too...I thought the way she was comforting Camille when it was discovered she'd be the one leaving was really nice. You could tell those two had become really good friends.

One thing that kinda sucks about Camille leaving this week is that she was just starting to control her nerves a lot more within the last two weeks, which was a great thing.

Jennifer's voice isn't bad, but she really needs to tone down the facial stuff and the movements and everything. And it's good to see others are annoyed by Fantasia's attitude, too. She might want to learn to appreciate this while it lasts, because she could very well be voted off if she doesn't learn to keep her attitude under control. That will turn people against her after a while, if it hasn't started to already.

Angela

Its the John that sings Hit the Road Jack that erks people in Australia. Hes really unpopular. Not that we can vote, so it doesnt really matter.

We havent had the Elton show yet, its shown on Sunday here.

It will be interesting to see who wins. The guy that won American Idol II couldnt sell his grandmother over here. Hes not at all popular. It will be interesting to see if the person who wins is some one liked international (not that it matters cause its 'American" Idol)

So, was anyone else shocked about tonight's results? I certainly was. I think John Stevens is this year's Josh Gracin...he's not improving at all, but for some odd reason, he's still there. :shrug:.

Also, I hated the group song tonight. Wow. Talk about cheesy. Course, then again, this is Barry Manilow we're talking about...(no offense to anybody out there who may just happen to like his music).

In regards to last week, I was rather surprised to see JPL leave-I thought he'd guaranteed himself another week with his performance of "Jailhouse Rock" (which, personally, I didn't think he did too bad on. Also, kudos to him for liking the movie "Dead Poets' Society" :yes: :up:.). My poor sister, though-she adores him and was not happy to see him go last week. And Fantasia did an awesome job on her song last week, too (and it's nice to see her acting a little more subdued, toning down the sass a little).

Anywho, so yeah, tonight definitely surprised me.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:
So, was anyone else shocked about tonight's results? I certainly was. I think John Stevens is this year's Josh Gracin...he's not improving at all, but for some odd reason, he's still there. :shrug:.

Also, I hated the group song tonight. Wow. Talk about cheesy.

I totally agree.

DaveC said:
Fantasia sucks.

She sounds like a roadkill cat.

She has all the class of a wounded pirate.

:down:

That's kinda mean, dude. I've never thought her unclassy, or even likened it to something as awful as a dead kitty. :( I think she's cool.

I was very surprised to see Jennifer go home. Something is clearly wrong here. Or ppl are just whacked in the head. :shrug:

I was happy to see Jennifer go, finally. She's got a powerful voice but it's the energy behind it that bugged me. She needs to learn the art of subtlety instead of just belting out everything as loud and forcefully as she can. I just could not stand her voice or her personality.

I don't like Fantasia's voice either, but I like her.

I think LaToya is the classiest, most self-possessed and mature of the remaining singers and the one with the possibility of a real career. She's by far the most talented and consistent of the divas. I still like George, too (how can you not). John Stevens is a mystery. Must be all the 12 year olds and old ladies voting for him but even my 12 year old neice has better taste. I mean, he was cute for awhile, but come on, off with his head already...

My dad had found something online in regards to this whole thing, and he thinks one reason why Jennifer was in the bottom three and got kicked off was because she's from the Chicago area, and that area got hit hard by severe storms this week (like in Utica, where the people there are still cleaning up from the tornado that hit them earlier this week), and so the power lines were still down then and everything, and the people of her state, who were probably rooting for her, couldn't vote as a result. Apparently, it was something like if she'd gotten 1/3 of the votes from the people in Illinois, she would've stayed for another week.

Also, the fact that she's a young single mom could have something to do with it-the thing my dad found had a quote from a person on an "American Idol" board talking about how she's a bad person to look up to because she's so young and yet has a kid (I think the thing said she was 19).

And then there's still the whole thing about the votes being rigged-it became so predictable week after week, with those three girls being safe and all that, so people aren't wondering if the votes were rigged to try and throw in some unpredictability.

Who knows. My dad's long since gone off to bed, so I can't do it now, but I'll ask him tomorrow where he found that thing and I could share it here.

Angela

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/27/leisure.john.idol.reut/index.html

I sincerely hope there was no racism involved, and honestly don't believe that is the answer...(or maybe just don't want to believe that)

When I watch the show, I judge solely on singing talent-I admit, certain things about their personalities do annoy me, especially if they seem arrogant or rude. I love George's personality, but I would never pick him if I didn't think he had the singing talent. And I would vote for someone who I thought was the overall best singer even if I thought they were the biggest :censored: on the planet :D

It's interesting, because it makes you think about the music industry in general, and looks/"personality" over talent, etc. I hope someone w/ genuine talent wins.

Did anybody see Jennifer Hudson do the Top 10 on Letterman last night? :laugh:

Top Ten Things I Can Say Now That I Lost "American Idol"

10. "If I had won, I was gonna blow the prize money on candy and fireworks"

9. "Honestly, I thought I was auditioning for 'The Apprentice'"

8. "Ryan Seacrest isn't as smart as he seems on TV"

7. "If you want to see me 'perform,' I'll be working the noon-to-8 shift at Old Navy tomorrow"

6. "George W. Bush didn't win the popular vote either, and he's done pretty well for himself"

5. "Underneath that table, Randy Jackson doesn't wear pants"

4. "Until 10 minutes ago, I had no idea who Dave Letterman was"

3. "I could take down Clay Aiken with one arm in a sling"

2. "I handled my loss well -- I gathered my belongings, said my goodbyes and keyed the crap out of Simon's car"

1. "I have one thing to say to the voters: What in the hell is wrong with you people?"

MrsSpringsteen said:
It's interesting, because it makes you think about the music industry in general, and looks/"personality" over talent, etc.

The music industry (the business end of it, not celebs) is one of my very favorite research and discussion topics in life - and you are exactly right. In the Pop Music world, land of short attention spans - it has always been style over substance. Which explains why Britney is so popular even though she isn't a great singer and lipsyncs during her shows.

Bonochick said:
6. "George W. Bush didn't win the popular vote either, and he's done pretty well for himself"

1. "I have one thing to say to the voters: What in the hell is wrong with you people?"

These two are my favorites. :laugh:.

I don't understand why the voting isn't one vote per person. I mean, we don't vote for our president that way, why would we vote for anything else that way?

I do find it funny (and sad), though, that more people vote for an American idol than they do the president of our country.

This controversy is crazy. I actually feel bad for John Stevens, because they had some story on "Extra" or whatever tonight talking about how he's gotten threats and stuff...it's like, don't yell at him, people, he had nothing to do with this. Hell, he himself knows he shouldn't still be here. You can see it in his face when someone gets voted off each week. Don't yell at him, don't pick on him for all this craziness. Blame the people who set up the voting system, blame the people who vote on things other than talent, whatever, but leave him alone.

I know this has certainly started up yet another debate in my house...happens every time we watch the show, my dad and sister get into a big debate about this show.

I honestly don't think racism played a part in Jennifer's departure, by the way. It just has to do with the fact that a small fraction of the people are voting a thousand times over for their favorites, and the JPL fans are now gravitating toward John, and various other things. My dad also wonders if age doesn't have anything to do with the voting process...the younger people want to see those around their age win and the older people want the older contestants to win.

Weird Al made a good point in the paper today when he was talking about the predictions: he said something to the effect of, "I mean, I know we have a war going on in the Middle East, but you know, 'American Idol' is so much more important."

Show's on now...Fantasia's not singing this song very well. But my dad says that she's a natural performer...she does know how to get a crowd going, so she's got that going for her.

Angela

Based on tonight's performances, the bottom three for tomorrow should be John, Fantasia, and Jasmine...with John going home.

Moonlit_Angel said:

Weird Al made a good point in the paper today when he was talking about the predictions: he said something to the effect of, "I mean, I know we have a war going on in the Middle East, but you know, 'American Idol' is so much more important."

Angela

Gotta love Al :) - I have tickets to see his show Saturday night :hyper:

Back to the topic at hand - I kind of feel sorry for John, sometimes he looks like he wants to go home, poor guy :(

Ugh John needs to get the hell outta there! I don't know why people are voting for him. He's like a robot no emotion and sings the same kinda songs :tsk:

I liked Diana the best last night :up:

kellyahern said:
Gotta love Al :) - I have tickets to see his show Saturday night :hyper:

:up:. Have fun. :).

Yeah, Weird Al's pretty cool.

Originally posted by kellyahern
Back to the topic at hand - I kind of feel sorry for John, sometimes he looks like he wants to go home, poor guy :(

Yeah. I was a little worried about what would happen when it was his turn to come out on stage last night-I was afraid he was gonna get boos and rotten tomatoes thrown at him or something before he even started singing.

His performance certainly stunk last night, no doubt about that, but I do agree with Simon when he said that he was glad to see John handling all the crap getting thrown on him in a very mature manner. Very true-I haven't seen John whining about this whole controversy on any shows or getting an attitude about it or something. Good for him. :).

But I've decided I'm not making any more predictions about who'll be leaving, because mine have been way off this season, so... My dad told me that according to the news, "American Idol" is expecting a record number of viewers tonight. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. :hmm: :uhoh:...

Angela

okay...i've begrudgingly started watching it. i'm usually out on my hubby's laptop and it's on so i can't help but listen.

why is john still on there? the past couple weeks i've watched flabbergasted as he amazingly stays on week after week. but the look on his face makes me feel bad cuz he knows he's already overstayed his welcome. oh well! :|

i want diana to win.

Back
Top Bottom