American Idol 6 - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just heard Kelly's new song today and I really liked it. Man she got some tough loving in the past!!

deep said:

don't look for the likes of a lou reed, beck or even an Antony (and the Johnsons) or an Amy Winehouse to come from this type of selection process.

Tom Waits and Rickie Lee Jones would have been laughed right out of their auditions.

ljclary said:
Am I the only one who thinks Melinda is sooooo boring. Yup she can sing and she can sing well but would I pay to see her in concert? Ummm no. She is not poppy she is more R&B and soul and we have seen how that well that works for former idol winners...aka Ruben and Fantasia (and no being on Broadway is not the same as being Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood). All I am saying is that season is going to be another season where the winner does nothing...unless it is Blake and that is a snowballs chance in hell. Yeah Melinda is good but I have seen it before...snore.
Now Jordin-I can see her in the top 40-cute young with amazing pipes. More of what AI 'looks' for I guess. I dunno-I guess I am just getting sick of investing time and voting effort into this show only to have nothing come out of it. Thank you very much Taylor Hicks!!

Yep, Melinda & LaKisha are interchangeable, they're just alike. Because they're both black, and thick, and...? Alrighty then. They don't look alike, they have different vocal styles & ranges, their stage personalities are different.

Should I say it will be a waste if Blake wins, because he'll do nothing like the other men who've won (Ruben & Taylor)?

And why should any of us care how many records they sell? I know the judges care (see the hyping of Chris R), but personally I just want to see the best singer win (it IS a singing competition after all) and get an opportunity. If they make it big like Kelly, great...and if they fall off like Ruben, that's too bad. Nothing Ruben has done post-AI changes the fact that he was clearly the best singer in season 2, and clearly deserved to win. Ditto Fantasia, though IMO she's been more successful than Ruben by far.

I'd honestly like to see Blake take a chance sometime...I've been saying all season that I don't like him, but it's really that I don't like all the hype surrounding him; I think he's overrated. But I guess that's not fair. By taking a chance I don't mean the mash-ups and beat-boxing that everyone praises him for - that's what he does, so it's not taking a risk for him. What I mean is, I want to see if he can sing. Jordin tried Livin' on a Prayer, and it didn't go well, but she tried...she could easily have picked a ballad like LaKisha and done much better. Blake, when he's not doing his thing, plays it very safe (Imagine, the Tim McGraw song). One of these nights he's going to have to really sing, and if he pulls it off he'll probably win.

And you really can't compare somebody to Kelly Clarkson and say they're a flop if they don't measure up...AI will never see another Kelly. No way in hell.

Okay first off I never mentioned Lakisha-I don't think she and Melinda are interchangable. Melinda is WAY more experienced and comfortable on stage and can sing pretty much anything. So far Kiki has only shined when she has done gospel.
Why should we car how many records they sell? I think because that is what the show is about. It is not about let's vote for a good singer and hope they do nothing. I personally have voted every season and religiously watched and it has pissed me off when the best singers who are also marketable do not win. Chris Daughtry just to name one. If the show was to cater to the R&B, Gospel or Soul crowd then the show should be called that. Gospel Idol. The show is American Idol the search for America's next pop star. OH and I am going to disagree about Reuben-he was good but Clay had a WAY better voice.
My point is the season sucks. It is a snore. It has been since day one of the finals. No one stands out as the next big star. My point is Jordin is the only one who stands a chance to make it really big.
And I am not worried about Blake. The kid is soooo talented he is going to successful in front of the mike or behind.

Okay, I was the one who said Lakisha and Melinda are inteterchangeable. Maybe that's not quite fair but I just meant that while yes, of course they have different personalities and vocal styles, overall they belong in the same niche with so many other women that I can't imagine either of them ever truly becoming a star. I didn't mean they're both big black women and therefore just alike and "they all look alike to me." But without any striking, distinguishing, wow-ing musical characteristics, I see them both fading from memory rather quickly. If they can act, they'd be great doing Broadway musicals or something. But as solo pop stars? Eh, I just dont see it. :shrug:

ljclary said:
Okay first off I never mentioned Lakisha-I don't think she and Melinda are interchangable. Melinda is WAY more experienced and comfortable on stage and can sing pretty much anything. So far Kiki has only shined when she has done gospel.
Why should we car how many records they sell? I think because that is what the show is about. It is not about let's vote for a good singer and hope they do nothing. I personally have voted every season and religiously watched and it has pissed me off when the best singers who are also marketable do not win. Chris Daughtry just to name one. If the show was to cater to the R&B, Gospel or Soul crowd then the show should be called that. Gospel Idol. The show is American Idol the search for America's next pop star. OH and I am going to disagree about Reuben-he was good but Clay had a WAY better voice.
My point is the season sucks. It is a snore. It has been since day one of the finals. No one stands out as the next big star. My point is Jordin is the only one who stands a chance to make it really big.
And I am not worried about Blake. The kid is soooo talented he is going to successful in front of the mike or behind.

Agree with this. This season is lame. It doesn't really matter who wins either. By this point, the singers have all made their connections and all have equal opportunities to advance their careers. What determines if they make it or not is their own drive and in alot of cases their personalities.

Also agree that neither Melinda or Lakisha have the right appeal to make it on the charts. But regardless of the outcome of this show, they will both have careers that involve singing. That's the beauty of the show at this point.

Nothing Ruben has done post-AI changes the fact that he was clearly the best singer in season 2, and clearly deserved to win. Ditto Fantasia, though IMO she's been more successful than Ruben by far.
I'll echo ljclary about Clay's voice, and Clay's voice held up much better over the competition than Ruben's. How do you measure success? If you use sales, Ruben has sold way more CDs than Fantasia.

OK now that I quoted the wrong post and came off a bit of an ass :shame: on me...

I just think it's a singing competition and the best singer should win. I think you could make a case that Clay was actually a better singer than Ruben, but Ruben was very charismatic and had a strong stage presence, while Clay didn't. But he could sing, and I'm pretty sure he sold a bunch of records (I don't really follow that stuff too closely, but I swear I read that someplace).

Re: Ruben vs. Fantasia, I didn't realize he'd outsold her by that much...well wiki says they're pretty close but you can't trust wiki with stuff like that. Anyway it seems like there's still a bit of buzz around Fantasia, between putting a record out in '06 and doing the Color Purple - I haven't heard a peep about Ruben in forever.

But anyway I'd agree with ultravioletluvv that this season is pretty lame. There's no star here. I could see Blake having a successful career as a producer; he might be better off not winning and having more freedom to do what he wants to do. I think AI could open some doors for him. The girls are good singers, but not great...

I thought Phil did a great job on Blaze of Glory, at least he got to go out on a high note.

From all accounts i've read, Phil is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He was a total class act on the show, always smiling and always positive. I have no doubt he'll be successful, because I'm sure he made a lot of connections during his time on the show.

Barry Gibb Mentors The Final Four
May 3, 2007
Posted by Miles

Next week, television’s most popular show heats up when the Top 4 finalists (Blake Lewis, LaKisha Jones, Jordin Sparks and Melinda Doolittle) compete head-to-head again on Tuesday, May 8 at 8/7c, only on FOX. Barry Gibb will mentor the contestants as they prepare to sing songs he made famous with the Bee Gees. Then, don't miss the following night to see Gibb perform, and find out who receives enough votes to stay in the competition and who must go home on the live results show Wednesday, May 9 9/8c, only on FOX.

Has there not been a Bee Gees night every year?

Yeah Phil came across as a pretty nice guy. Of course who can tell just from watching but every year some of them seem like they'd nice, while others come across as, well, snotty.

I also think there has been a Bee Gees night at least once if not 5 times before. I don't think it is goign to be quite the hit Bon Jovi night was. Also aren't we down to two songs apiece?

hopefully 2 songs - we got an hour to fill with 4 contestants!

And not all Bee Gees songs are disco :grumpy:

Wonder if anyone will do Lonely Days :hmm:

I was thinking that Blake could really do his own thing with Bee Gee songs!! He should be awesome..

Lila64 said:
hopefully 2 songs - we got an hour to fill with 4 contestants!

And not all Bee Gees songs are disco :grumpy:

Wonder if anyone will do Lonely Days :hmm:

I want to say somebody did in one of the prior BeeGee nights but I could be wrong. It's true they're not all disco, and I think most of the Idols stayed away from the more "disco" songs in the past...I recall more ballad-type songs.

And yes, I think we're into 2 song territory now...do they start the "judges choice" next week or is that only for the final 2? I've always wondered, when they criticize them for their song choices, if there's any coaching re: choosing songs? Because sometimes it really seems like they pick the wrong song...like Chris S when he got voted off, he said he'd never even sung the song before and you could tell. Surely there was a song he knew well in Gwen Stefani's iPod...

:ohmy: :yikes:

sanjayahooters.jpg

I found tonight extremely dull. That first song Blake did, where he beatboxed repetitively was really really annoying. I didn't mind the second song.

I think Lakisha will be the next to go.

I'm in California and it is only 25 minutes in to the show.

I knew there was a reason I have been looking in on this show from time to time.

I am going next door to borrow some cell phones from my neighbors.

I feel compelled to some heavy multiple voting tonight.

Color me crazy, but I didn't think Lakisha, Melinda and Blake were bad or boring at all. I didn't know Melinda's song, but she was fine. I liked Blake, and I kind of dug Lakisha's "Staying Alive" as well. Jordin definitely was the best of the four, halfway through.

I really just want the show to be over at this point. They are picking the worst themes ever. :|

Whatever happened to the fun '80s night?
Or the current Billboard hits night?
Songs of your birth year?

I think picking a single artist to cover the whole night is so boring and gets so stale. :(

Back
Top Bottom