American Idol 6 - Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I am curious about this show on the international airwaves. Is this show "American Idol" not Pop Idol or various country versions popular overseas? Are people outside the US really into our American Idol?

In Canada, we get both, American Idol and Canadian Idol. I watched about one and a half seasons of AI, back in the Clay Aiken/Fantasia days, before tuning into Canadian Idol for the first time. I haven't watched AI since, because IMO, it pales in comparison to ours. Also IMO, yours represents everything that's wrong with music these days, the whole manufactured aspect of it. Too many R & B diva-types for my liking, music-lite, if you will. I think we generally get a wider range of genres represented, and the competitors aren't forced into the cookie-cutter image of an Idol performer to the degree that they are on AI. Also, our judges are better, for the most part. Although we do have one pissy, speak-your-mind Simon type, even he offers more constructive criticism that the AI judges do.

As far as your other question goes, yes, I think that AI does get a lot of attention here.

U2morrow said:
What the hell is with Bette Midler? Sounds horrendous.

Yeah that's what I said! :huh:

I LOVED the Blake / Doug E. Fresh duet. that was way :cool: :applaud:

Sicy said:

Yeah that's what I said! :huh:

:yes:

Bette was horrible. Wasn't crazy about Kelly's first song - she was shouting it :shrug: Much better doing Sgt. Pepper.

We needed more Blake tonight :sad:

It seemed so... anti-climatic :|

And what was with all the previous idols not only singing their own song, but basically doing the whole Beatles medley as well. That should have been more of the group sing than just the one 'With A Little Help From My Friends'. :|

Oh, and I liked Green Day as well :up: 'Working Class Hero'

Last edited:
Just when I thought this was the worst season of AI ever, Taylor Hicks appeared and I was reminded that it could (and did) get worse.

Bette Midler was awful. If she's trying to promote her new Vegas show, I'm thinking she's not gonna sell many tickets sounding like that!

Did they really need to bring back Bush Baby and his friend? And then to show a picture of an actual bush baby and say they donated it to a zoo? WTF was that all about? I thought it was tacky!

I have to admit I enjoyed seeing Sanjaya again. Reminded me of when this season was actually exciting!

WTF is up with all these old-time stars? Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight, Tony Bennett, Bette Midler?

Kelly and Carrie are definitely in a different league than all the other winners.

So I think I screwed my DVR up. I paused to let the dog out after Sgt. Pepper's, but instead of pausing it stopped. When I returned Seacrest was handing the mic to the next American Idol. What happened? What did I miss? Did they have Blake and Jordin onstage together and have a drum roll moment of announcing the winner?

I'm so annoyed I sat through the whole damn thing and then screwed up the end! :scream:

Poor Bette. She's lost her voice and doesn't seem to know it. Once upon a time, she had the most amazing voice.

How did Gwen become famous again? What the hell happened to her? Where is the cute girl and funky band I fell in love with for one song, "Don't Speak"??

I didn't see AI during Kelly's season but man, she's a knockout.

I was hoping Constantine would sing.

These are my morning after thoughts.

Last edited:
ultravioletluvv said:

Did they really need to bring back Bush Baby and his friend? And then to show a picture of an actual bush baby and say they donated it to a zoo? WTF was that all about? I thought it was tacky!

OMG! I totally agree. They gave poor bush baby some lines to say too..it was uncomfortable to watch....even Simon seemed embarrassed when they put the picture of the actual bush baby on the screen! seemed a bit harsh for the sake of a laugh :(

Sicy said:

Definite highlight of the night!!!! :love: Well, that and Taylor Hicks. :wink: You know I love me some Taylor! I really like that song too, much better than his first single.

They were saying on the news that Blake's routine with Doug E. Fresh was the only number during the show that had the audience standing the whole time. Everybody is saying that was the highlight. The problem though? That is NOT American Idol stuff. That just goes to show how boring this season was, since something very un-American Idol is what got people excited.

watched for the first hour then switched over to Lost. I came back during the commercials. I thought the finale was lame. those dumb awards for the bad audition people...was that really necessary? let's humiliate these people some more and give them more screen time...good idea. :rolleyes: Big Bird :yikes: it could have easily been an hour. I did like Kelly's performance though. her new song has been on the radio and it was annoying, but I really liked it when she sang it live last night. angry Kelly :up:

I will miss Blake, although this season wasn't that exciting to begin with.

U2Girl416 said:
I did like Kelly's performance though. her new song has been on the radio and it was annoying, but I really liked it when she sang it live last night. angry Kelly :up:

I agree! I haven't cared much for that song when I've heard it on the radio, but I'm thinking a little better of it after that performance. :hmm:

joyfulgirl said:
So I think I screwed my DVR up. I paused to let the dog out after Sgt. Pepper's, but instead of pausing it stopped. When I returned Seacrest was handing the mic to the next American Idol. What happened? What did I miss? Did they have Blake and Jordin onstage together and have a drum roll moment of announcing the winner?

I'm so annoyed I sat through the whole damn thing and then screwed up the end! :scream:

Poor Bette. She's lost her voice and doesn't seem to know it. Once upon a time, she had the most amazing voice.

How did Gwen become famous again? What the hell happened to her? Where is the cute girl and funky band I fell in love with for one song, "Don't Speak"??

I didn't see AI during Kelly's season but man, she's a knockout.

I was hoping Constantine would sing.

These are my morning after thoughts.

I had the exact same dvr issues myself. I sat thru the whole lame ass show and at the end. I walk away from the tv and come back and it's jordin singing.. wtf????? :mad: I tried to rewind..but ugh...nada.. So I missed the end.. I guess it has something to do with the fact that the show went over the end time.

and another thing.. joe perry has stooped to a new low by performing with friggin sanjaya.. If I were a aerosmith fan I would be kinda pissed off.

Highlight was definitely Blake and Doug E Fresh.. That performance was HOT!!

the only other highlight was Green Day's performance. Other than that it was a complete waste of my 2 hours.. Certainly could of done that in an hour easily.:|

Not as killer as last year's finale (no OMG PRINCE!!! moments), but I liked the Doug E Fresh / Blake thing, Green Day (although jeez, how out of place was that song in the midst of all that?), Kelly (she looks great) ... I even thought the Sanjaya thing was kind of funny.

I hated the Sgt Pepper thing, I thought it was embarrassing. And I laughed when Taylor Hicks showed up just to sing and spaz out and then ran off the stage. "We don't want to talk to you even though you won last year, because your album isn't selling and frankly, you're a disgrace. Why couldn't we get McPhee instead?"

corianderstem said:
And I laughed when Taylor Hicks showed up just to sing and spaz out and then ran off the stage. "We don't want to talk to you even though you won last year, because your album isn't selling and frankly, you're a disgrace. Why couldn't we get McPhee instead?"

Poor Taylor, I felt bad. I will always love him though. :heart:

joyfulgirl said:

:angry:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
I am curious about this show on the international airwaves. Is this show "American Idol" not Pop Idol or various country versions popular overseas? Are people outside the US really into our American Idol?

OH YEAH!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool: I love "American Idol" but we see it late, for example, last week we saw the "idol gives back" special :drool: today is the elimination nigth.

The next month we will have our own "Latin American Idol" :D

joyfulgirl said:

I dont' think you missed much. No drumroll. Just one last query of the judges to give their thoughts (Randy and Simon saying "congratulations, JOrdin" and Paula refusing to pick sides), Seacrest doing his whole "after 70 bazillion people voted, your new American Idol is Jordin Sparks."

Blah blah blah cheering, hugging, crying, blah blah blah, she gets the mike.

corianderstem said:

I dont' think you missed much. No drumroll. Just one last query of the judges to give their thoughts (Randy and Simon saying "congratulations, JOrdin" and Paula refusing to pick sides), Seacrest doing his whole "after 70 bazillion people voted, your new American Idol is Jordin Sparks."

Blah blah blah cheering, hugging, crying, blah blah blah, she gets the mike.

Thanks. :)

Crazy to follow an entire season and miss that moment, even if it was dumb and anticlimactic.

I figured Jordin would win because I voted for Blake a bunch of times and never once got a busy signal. He'll go on to have a nice career, probably bigger than Jordin's.

only highlights for me was the blake and doug e. fresh performance and greenday performing working class hero. the rest was crap.

Jordin has a great voice, but I just don't find anything exciting about her. :shrug: I can't say much about her charisma or her personality, because I don't feel I saw much of either. She's young though, maybe she will improve as she becomes more experienced. She's definitely got the voice.

AI Recaps-May 23rd
The Finale!-Finally....

It’s here, it’s actually here. After a rather uninspiring season that seemed to lack the diversity of past seasons, we are left with two contenders. It’s the plaid pants wearing beatboxer vs. the singing pretty princess.

However, this season wasn’t without some “highlights.” We got Sanjaya who was more notable for his revolving door of hairstyles than his voice. We got Haley who was all legs, and not much else. And we got a singing Cabbage Patch Doll named Chris Sligh who mistook snottiness for wit. We also got cheesy pimpmercials and even cheesier group sings. We got several guest coaches who proved to be way past their expiration dates. We also learned AI has a heart and some of us opened our wallets on “Idol Gives Back” night. But most important to me was the sweet miracle known as Melinda “Coming in Third is the New First” Doolittle. I hope this girl goes far.

But we have a finale to get to....

Ryan is dressed as if he’s going to a funeral, and he introduces us to other fashion disasters like Randy, who is dressed like a bull-fighting pimp, and Paula, who puts the “girls” on display. And I think Simon is wearing the same outfit he did the night before.

First, Jordin and Blake sing “I Saw Her Standing There.” Blake is dressed like a Vegas lounge lizard, and is Jordin wearing her Badgley Mischka over a pair of Levi’s? I’m not too crazy about the performance. It was so “High School Musical.” I thought their harmony sounded rough too.

Former guest coach Gwen Stefani visits us "via satellite" to sing her new song, “Four in the Morning.” Well, at least she didn’t yodel. But why was she wearing a diaper that looked like a pastry?

Fortunately, Kelly Clarkson is on board to sing her new single “Never Again.” I absolutely love this song, and I can’t wait for Kelly’s CD to come out next month.

Just like last year, AI decides to give out some Golden Idols. The awards are for Best Presentation, the Most Original Vocal, and the Best Buddies. These segments went far too long, and the less said, the better. Just enjoy your fifteen minutes of fame Margaret, Sholandric, Kenneth and Jonathan. But is there really a bush baby at the Milwaukee County Zoo named Simon? Last year the Golden Idols were fun, but this year they made me cringe.

The Top 6 Guys sing Smokey Robinson and the Miracle’s songs, but things don’t heat up until Smokey Robinson shows up. Oooh, Brandon Rogers looks hot!

Blake gets to sing, I mean beat box with Doug E. Fresh. Okay, this performance was fun. Wait a minute. Doug E. Fresh is still around? Actually this performance was highlight for me, lots of fun.

The Top 6 guys may have put me to sleep, but the Top 6 girls are in good form as they sing Gladys Knight and the Pips songs. Haley is about as soulful as a bowl of strawberry yogurt, but get down with your bad self, Legs. And I’m so glad KiKi and my girl Melinda got to sing with the legendary Gladys Knight. The three of them sounded fabulous.

AI needs more filler for this dog and pony show, and apparently Tony Bennett is over the flu. He sings “For Once in My Life.” Ho hum.

Melinda, a back up singer no more, sings with BeBe and CeCe Winans. Now we have a show. All three of them sounded fabulous! I heard music like this in church while I was growing up, I’d probably still be going to mass.

Okay, I actually thought the pimpmercial full of blooper out takes was kind of cute. I know, I'm really reaching...

I find Carrie Underwood underwhelming, sorry. But her fiddler player is cute.

Oh no! It’s Our Dread Lord Clive Davis here to give us the BMG sales report. Save it for the investors’ meeting Evil C. Clive canonizes the DAUGHTRY! and Carrie Underwood, and disses Taylor, Kelly and Kat...very tacky.

I loved the African Children’s Choir on “Idol Gives Back” night and I loved them on finale night. They are just adorable and I smiled throughout their performance. Can we bring them back next year?

Okay, KiKi doesn’t get to sing with anyone, but Sanjaya gets to perform with Aerosmith’s Joe Perry? Did Joe Perry lose a bet? My cat actually freaked out and raced out of the room when Sanjaya began to sing. I should have done the same.

From the ridiculous we come to the sublime, Green Day, who give justice to the classic John Lennon song, “Working Class Hero.” But somehow it seemed out of place during this schlocky night.

Apparently not too peeved over Clive Davis’ rude remarks, Taylor comes out to sing his new single “Heaven Knows.” He’s fun and soulful, and I thoroughly enjoyed his energetic performance. Watching him makes me miss last season. And was that Ace in the audience? Taylor and Ace? Squee!

Another AI winner from Alabama is on board. Ruben sings “You’re All I Need” with Jordin. Looking like a cute prom date in their matching tie and dress, Ruben and Jordin are rather bland, but serviceable. What is it? I just can’t into this finale.

Bette Midler comes out to sing the AI coronation song “Wind Beneath My Wings.” Oh wait, that was a hit for her about twenty years ago. Did Bette get into Paula’s stash? She was a hot mess!

Kelly Clarkson sings a blistering “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” accompanied by Joe Perry. Taylor, Ruben, and Carrie join them in the Beatles medley. Unfortunately, the top AI6 12 had to join them. Okay, Melinda was okay, snerk. She can do no wrong in my book.

And finally, after two hours of musical guests, Golden Idols, past AI winners, unnecessary filler, and celebrities in the audience, we get to the time we’ve been waiting for-the announcement of this year’s American Idol. After 74 million votes, Jordin Sparks is crowned the winner. Gee, what a surprise.

Okay, I liked Jordin, and I think she’ll be best served by the AI/19E machine. She’s young and malleable. She’s very pretty and marketable. Plus, she has a good voice and will probably grow as a performer. And as much as I liked Blake’s uniqueness and showmanshiip skills, he’s probably better off.

However, it’s Melinda’s CD I will be buying...

Last edited:
Beyond annoyed. I had to TIVO the show becuase I had a thing and well since the show went 12 minutes over I didn't even get to see the end...at all. Sigh. Watched the whole season and although I didn't really care about the winner, it would have been nice to at least SEE it.

LOVED the Doug E. Fresh/Blake song. Hightlight of the night.

Thought Kelly was great.

Green Day was great too although, it seems like somewhat of a dream that they were actually there becuase they didn't seem to fit.

Everything else was meh.

There's no way in hell that show needed to push over two hours. It was ridiculous how rushed it was at the end.

"Here's your mike, Jordin. Sing your song quickly now. We'll play credits over the end while you're singing, and this year we won't get to show all the other contestants hugging you while confetti falls or anything. It was very important to get those Golden Idol awards on the air instead."

corianderstem said:
There's no way in hell that show needed to push over two hours. It was ridiculous how rushed it was at the end.

"Here's your mike, Jordin. Sing your song quickly now. We'll play credits over the end while you're singing, and this year we won't get to show all the other contestants hugging you while confetti falls or anything. It was very important to get those Golden Idol awards on the air instead."

I noticed that too! They drug it out so long with so much unnecessary filler and then cut the supposed climax off like they were running out of time! I'd rather have heard less of the other stuff and more at the end! :huh:

You know Bette Midler may not have sounded very good, but for a woman who is old enough to collect social security, she looked gorgeous! I couldn't believe it when I saw her I thought it must have been her daughter instead. She was never a very attractive lady IMO but now her body and her face and hair are looking better than ever. Whatever she's done to herself it worked. Maybe a trip to Madonna's makeover artist?

Her outfit was young and fun too. You got to give her credit for that if not her singing!

Back
Top Bottom