American Idol 6 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That should be good, I look forward to JLo's coaching and seeing what she wears and all that..

What will Sanjaya come up with for a Latin theme outfit and hairdo? I'm scared :|

fah said:
I have this image of Sanjaya singing and dancing to "Hips Don't Lie" in my head

Someone make it stop

:banghead:

never mind bad taste. (involved a gun)

would this work instead?
wtfughsmiley.gif

Jennifer Lopez came across as very likable and - dare I say it? - cute! I loved her in Selena.

Blake? :drool: I love that song. He did the best.

I haven't heard Sanjaya yet. I will likely not comment on Sanjaya, as I feel it is best to perhaps try ignoring Sanjaya.

Maybe if we ignore him, he'll go away.

I was underwhelmed by most of the performances tonight. It's the first time I've watched in probably a month or so, and I expected the quality to be higher by this point in the season. I liked Blake and Melinda's performances best, but nobody really blew me away. I think Phil is going to get voted off, though I wouldn't be sorry to see anybody go but Blake, Melinda, and Jordin.

I was actually pretty surprised that Sanjaya was tolerable. But with that creepy Stepford Wives smile he had going, I kind of wondered if he had any clue at all if he knew what he was singing.

I saw U-Turn last week, and it gave me a whole new respect of J Lo. She's a much better actress than I ever realized she is.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
I was underwhelmed by most of the performances tonight. It's the first time I've watched in probably a month or so, and I expected the quality to be higher by this point in the season. I liked Blake and Melinda's performances best, but nobody really blew me away. I think Phil is going to get voted off, though I wouldn't be sorry to see anybody go but Blake, Melinda, and Jordin.

I was actually pretty surprised that Sanjaya was tolerable. But with that creepy Stepford Wives smile he had going, I kind of wondered if he had any clue at all if he knew what he was singing.

I saw U-Turn last week, and it gave me a whole new respect of J Lo. She's a much better actress than I ever realized she is.

I agree with everything you said! :lmao:

corianderstem said:
Sanjaya's facial growth made him look super creepy. Almost Phil-levels of creepiness.

:yikes:

:yikes:

Hold me. :sad:

For the most part, I thought the performances were mediocre. I thought Blake was really good, and I did enjoy Chris too. Some of the performances just lacked the "mmmmphhhhh" or the sexiness/passion of the songs

What the hell kind of parallel universe am I living in? J.Lo gives intelligent musical advice (and the couple of times she sang along with the contestants in rehearsal, she was actually on key?!), Sanjaya legitimately didn't suck, and Melinda was boring. Crazy, I tell you.

Best of the night for me were Blake, Jordin, and Phil. Haley, go home.

One thing: I watched this on tape after getting home from work, and half the time I wasn't even looking at the screen; I just listened while I checked e-mail. Unlike the judges, I thought Phil's vocal was terrific. I'd much rather have a singer stretch themselves and have their voice crack slightly on the high notes than play it safe -- I love voices with a little character in them. Phil still looks like Nosferatu, but I really dig his singing.

J Lo looked so pretty

I have to say it, Sanjaya was pretty good :eek::huh:

NY Post

April 11, 2007 -- Many people think "American Idol" lightning-rod Sanjaya Malakar should've been gone weeks ago.

But don't tell that to the show's musical director, Ricky Minor.

"You know what? I think that he could win the show," Minor told The Post yesterday.

"He's gotten this far because he really is what he is - he's got this huge smile, he's a handsome guy and is really likable.

"People are pulling for him - and people really care about him."

Malakar, the 17-year-old from Washington, has polarized "Idol" viewers with his affect, his strange hairdos (including his much-talked-about "fauxhawk") and his questionable singing talent.

"I can tell you he can sing," says Minor, now in his third season as "Idol" musical director. "I think there are people who are naysayers, but I've run into a lot of credible people who really enjoy his voice.

"He has a connection to the lyrics and people are pleasantly surprised.

"This isn't a singing competition alone. It's for a star to emerge," he says. "Sanjaya has a huge likability factor. I think it's possible for him to win based on the way he's moving through the competition. "

Minor hires and conducts the "Idol" band, decides musical arrangements and interacts one-on-one with the finalists "if someone wants to talk about something personal," he says.

Eight finalists remain going into tonight's elimination show.

"In the beginning they were all having a hard time because they started reading the blogs and the junk people were saying about them," Minor says.

"I told them, 'Don't read [the blogs]. Believe in what you're doing and work hard on your craft.' "

Last edited:
I loved it when Simon basically told Haley she looked like a prostitute. She was so pissed. I wonder if she was more pissed that he said it, or she got called on it! Please.....send Haley home! She was by far the worst one...with Phil next in line.

Overall, a disappointing night. Sanjaya was actually very good, it would kind of be a shame if he ends up going home this week, after all of those bad weeks. :laugh:

Blake was my favorite, although none of them were great. I have to admit that my long standing hatred of Jennifer Lopez lessened a bit after last night. I was suprised to see that she actually gave decent advice and came across as a nice person. By far the best part of the show for me was seeing Nathan Fillion (Capt. Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly) in the audience. :drool:

AI Recaps-April 10th
The Top 8 Perform

Tonight our Idol hopefuls live a vida loca and perform songs with a Latin flavor. To guide our contestants salsa style, Jennifer Lopez joins us. What? They couldn’t get Gloria Estefan or Ricky Martin? Does J-Lo have a new CD to promote? Or course, she does. J-Lo greets the contestants wearing a silvery dress from the Princess Leia collection of club couture, and a every single silver bangle from the Claire’s Boutique at the Galleria Mall. But onto the performances.

Melinda (Sway)-First, on a shallow note, I loved her dress. Finally, my girl is out of the frump wear and is wearing a dress that is very becoming. She was both sultry and sexy (despite her protestations), and I think she sounded wonderful and had fun with the song. Is this her best performance? Hardly, but Melinda on her worst night sounds vastly better than some contestants on their best. I also like how she can take criticism like an adult. Her remark about finally getting critical remarks from Simon was both funny and charming. Recent bootee, the singing Cabbage Patch doll Chris Sligh, could learn from her on how to handle Mr. Grumpy Pants’ comments with a bit of style and wit.

LaKisha (Conga)-KiKi claims she auditioned for AI to make a better life for her daughter. That sounds about right. I can’t imagine her audtioning so she could snort coke with Lindsay Lohan in a bathroom stall at the Viper Room. LaKisha’s performance? Well, I hate to say it, but I was bored. And LaKisha seemed bored, too. This song is fun and sassy, but it came across like she was just phoning it in. And I expect more from her. Yes, her voice sounded fabulous as usual, but I just wasn’t thrilled by her performance. And if Paula starts her critique telling you that you look lovely, then your performance sucked.

Chris R (Smooth)-Once again, the Chosen One, gets some pimpage-a percussionist and a guitarist. Wearing a shirt Billy Idol lost at a concert circa 1983, Chris sings this Carlos Santana and Rob Thomas song. For some reason, I could barely hear him. Of course, this could be a blessing. Plus, he seemed so smarmy while delivering this song. Paula found it hot, but I found it skeevy, like Chris was going to give my television an STD. And just so you know Simon, the reason why it sounds contemporary is because it’s only a few years old. It wasn’t a hit when your favorite punching bag, Sanjaya, was a twinkle in his daddy’s eye.

Haley (Turn the Beat Around)-This was such a cruise ship performance. I thought Gopher and Julie were going to come out on-stage, and Isaac was going to serve me a drink. Like Chris R before her, Haley seemed to get drowned out by Bandzilla, and half the time I couldn’t understand a word she was singing. She also sounded very rushed. Yea, Haley had fun, but my ear drums sure didn’t. However, I’m sure her legs of victory will keep her around.

Phil (Maria, Maria)-The singing muppet didn’t add any soul or life to this song. He didn’t seem to connect with the lyrics, and you all know how I hate a lack of connection with the lyrics. And though his upper register is very powerful, his lower register is such a dirge. His performance was so flat and lifeless that I wanted to announce him DOA. I can’t see him surving. I think he might get the Idol boot.

Jordin (Rhythm is Going to Get You)-Jordin would love an 80s music theme night. She’s definitely a girl after my own heart. However, she doesn’t seem to be after my vote. Though her voice sounded top notch, her performance lacked energy. The rhythm may get me, but Jordin’s performance certainly did not. It was like she was sleepwalking through her performance. I hope she can pull through next week. I want her to live up to her last name, Sparks, instead of being a dying ember.

Blake (I Need to Know)-Well, I loved this performance. Both Blake’s vocals and stage skills were in fine form. This was the perfect song choice for him. I thought he might add some beat boxing to this song, but fortunately, he left it out. Awesome perfomance, and quite sexy, too! I might have even liked it more than Melinda’s.

Sanjaya (Besame Mucho)-Apparently my mom gave Sanjaya a bad Toni home perm (love ya, mom). Okay, I’ll give Sanjaya some credit for singing in Spanish. Some contestants can’t handle singing in English. And his voice wasn’t horrible. His softer quality actually worked for the song. However, I was completely unnerved by his underage eye shagging of the camera. And because I’m not Mary Kay Letourneau, I don’t find that much of a turn-on.

I thought Latin night was a big margarita of meh. It wasn’t quite as horrific as “Gwen Stefani’s iPod” night, but it came awfully close. This could have been such a fun, unique night, but a majority of the contestants just didn’t bring it. I’m sure I’ll hate myself for not hating Sanjaya’s performance with the fiery intensity of 10,000 suns. I actually liked his performance over Haley’s and Phil’s less than thrilling performances. Yep, the teflon contestant will probably survive. I’m not so sure about Legs and Nosferatu. Results night should be interesting.

i thought sanjaya was decent tho. daisy told me he looked like his facial hair was penciled in. i had to laugh. she hates him.

phil, jordin, and blake were among my favorites last night.

kellyahern said:

Someone on another forum suggested that he should have sang "She Bangs."

Now that would have been awesome :yes:.

That's what I had said to my boyfriend before the show. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom