American Idol 6 - Part 3 - Page 32 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #466
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by CTU2fan
That could be it. Regardless, they raised a ton of cash which is 100% a good thing.

Exactly!!! Regardless of everything else, I am just blown away by how much was raised! An amazing, amazing thing!

Our own damn gov't couldn't raise that kind of cash... sad aint it?

Old 04-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #467
Refugee

Local Time: 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

I believe Ryan was telling the boy to let it all out and that it's okay to let it out. It did not come off as Ryan was telling the kid not to cry.

Just what I was going to say.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #468
Refugee

Local Time: 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

And I'm sick of all the people who complain about not hearing how much celebrities donate. You have no idea if Simon gave a million dollars to that village in Africa. Or if Paula Abdul donated $10,000 to build a new facility for the boys and girls club? Instead of complaining about other people being on television for charity, why don't you and those like you take a step back and realize what this has done?

My dad, a hardcore Republican who never gave a shit about Katrina victims (and honestly, still doesn't) sat there with his jaw on the floor watching how those kids in Africa lived. When they brought up the malaria infested kids all he could say at the moment was, "There's nothing we can do about that."
I immediately said, OF COURSE THERE IS and right there and then, they showed how $10 mosquito nets could save the life of a family. He said that he had no idea it would be like that.

Of course, he didn't donate any money, and I wouldn't have expected a television show to change that attitude, but now he knows what Africa can be like. And he knows that it is so simple to change this.
No one is expecting people to give their hearts to those in poverty overnight, but the point of doing this on American Idol was to give awareness to those people who aren't U2 fans and know everything there is to know about Africans in need already, thanks to Bono's

So say what you will about the contrived and scripted efforts, they might have been done just like you say, but the heart behind the whole thing is genuinely pure.
On Tuesday night my mom said, "Why doesn't Siiimon give half of his fortune away?"
My response? "Why don't you?"
Great post, Pla. Sure, it would be great if Simon, Ryan, et al donated one week's paycheck to various causes, but I have no control over that. However, I do have control over what I can do. So I donate to causes I believe in or write articles about people who are doing great things to help others. One thing I love about U2 fans is they actually walk the talk, and get involved. Hugs to you all.

And another thing I've noticed about people who bitch about celebs and activism or complain about people choosing to focus on one cause rather than another (like donate money to the Humane Society rather than a child-oriented charity), is the complainers rarely do anything themselves to help out. They just sit on their asses and piss and moan.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #469
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by RedrocksU2
I have this mixed emotion of seeing other people wear the One band.
I have worn the band since the Vertigo Tour started and I have hope that when people see me wearing it, they don't think that I am wearing just because of American Idol.
Who cares if they did? Is it any better to be wearing it just because of Bono?
Old 04-28-2007, 11:36 AM   #470
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
Old 04-28-2007, 11:38 AM   #471
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
But many of us wear our One bands because we care about the One campaign, not because Bono told us to.
In the end, does it really matter why you wear it? Isn't the point exposure?
Old 04-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #472
Refugee

^
Old 04-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #473
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:27 PM
^
Old 04-30-2007, 08:55 AM   #474
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM

Former American Idol contestant Jessica Sierra was arrested on drug possession and felony battery charges early Sunday in Tampa, Fla.

Sierra, 21, allegedly hit a man over the head with a heavy glass at a café and was booked at the Hillsborough County Jail on a charge of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, the Associated Press reports.

She was also charged with possession of cocaine and introduction of contraband into a correctional facility after officers found a small amount of the drug while searching her, a police spokeswoman told the AP.

The victim of the alleged battery suffered a cut over his eye, but no further details were available. Sierra was released Sunday afternoon on $11,500 bail.

Sierra, a Tampa native, was a finalist on the FOX talent show in 2005 and the first of the Top 10 to be ousted following a disappointing rendition of LeAnn Rimes's "On the Side of Angels."

Last year a 59-year-old California man was charged with stalking her after police said he left voicemail messages telling her he loved her and was willing to go to jail for her and sent her jewelry and dozens of long-stemmed roses after seeing her on Idol.

He was arrested at her grandparents' home after he flew from California to Tampa and called Sierra's cellphone twice asking her to pick him up.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #475
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

In the end, does it really matter why you wear it? Isn't the point exposure?
It's all about spreading awareness.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #476
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Former American Idol contestant Jessica Sierra was arrested on drug possession and felony battery charges early Sunday in Tampa, Fla.

I read this article this morning...but I could not remember who she was???
Old 04-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #477
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:27 AM
I remember her. I think she was in the top 12 last season, but got booted fairly soon. She had a nice, smoky/husky voice and a rocker chick vibe.

Unless I'm thinking of someone else, which is entirely possible!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #478
New Yorker

gosh, I must be losing it....I don't remember her.....was it the season with the awful barbara streisand wannabe girl on it?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:48 PM   #479
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:27 AM
Ummm ... maybe? Makayla Gordon. Guh, she was so annoying.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:00 PM   #480
Refugee

Local Time: 12:27 PM
I remember this Jessica chic. She had a decent voice, and I think she made the top ten and went on tour. I think it was during the Carrie Underwood season.