American Idol 6 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have donated to the ONE Campaign in the past (money, shirts, bracelets), and if/when I can again, I will. I didn't want to donate last night because American Idol "told" me to.

Charity does begin at home :hug:

And about your last statement BonoIsMyMuse, thankfully AI wasn't that charitable :wink:

You know, I thought about this for awhile, wondering if maybe it was just me...

With the Ryan & Simon Africa footage, when Ryan's telling the boy not to cry, that it's OK, I wanted to grab him by his ears & twist his pin head around. Get a clue Ryan, it's absolutely NOT OK. Here's a 12 year old boy who has to raise his 7 year old sister on his own because his parents are dead, and here you come with your American TV talking-head photo-op hollow comfort. Who do you think you are? Did you donate anything there Ryan ol' buddy? Hmm? Don't sit there and look a poverty-stricken child in the eye & say 'it's OK' because it's anything but. And then Paula did the same with the poor American girl who broke down. Give me a break...don't tell them 'don't cry' when what you're really thinking is how great it is that they cried, that'll be so moving.

Yeah and Madonna too, in Malawi looking like she's at the local pound choosing her next new puppy...

I get what they were trying to do, and I do think it's noble, but I really thought some of the stuff was in poor taste, and over the top, and disingenuous. Maybe if Ryan and the judges said they were donating 1 episode's worth of their deal with FOX to charity I might feel differently, because if not then they spent 2 hours asking the voters for cash instead of putting up their own. At least I know Bono's put his own time & money in, it gives him a lot more credibility...as opposed to this crew of johnny-come-latelies who want everybody else to do while they pose for pix.

At least Ellen put her money where her mouth is :up:

It didn't bother me that much when Ryan said "it'll be ok" ... I mean honestly, that's one of those situations where you want to try and give some sort of comfort, and you know it's extreme and it probably WON'T be okay, but what do you say? You feel like you want to say something, but everything you think of is inappropriate.

But yeah, a lot of it just kind of felt weird and forced and too much.

Staying Alive
disco.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8KuLsZG2Ek

CTU2fan said:

With the Ryan & Simon Africa footage, when Ryan's telling the boy not to cry, that it's OK, I wanted to grab him by his ears & twist his pin head around. Get a clue Ryan, it's absolutely NOT OK. Here's a 12 year old boy who has to raise his 7 year old sister on his own because his parents are dead, and here you come with your American TV talking-head photo-op hollow comfort. Who do you think you are? Did you donate anything there Ryan ol' buddy? Hmm? Don't sit there and look a poverty-stricken child in the eye & say 'it's OK' because it's anything but. And then Paula did the same with the poor American girl who broke down. Give me a break...don't tell them 'don't cry' when what you're really thinking is how great it is that they cried, that'll be so moving.

Yeah and Madonna too, in Malawi looking like she's at the local pound choosing her next new puppy...

I get what they were trying to do, and I do think it's noble, but I really thought some of the stuff was in poor taste, and over the top, and disingenuous. Maybe if Ryan and the judges said they were donating 1 episode's worth of their deal with FOX to charity I might feel differently, because if not then they spent 2 hours asking the voters for cash instead of putting up their own. At least I know Bono's put his own time & money in, it gives him a lot more credibility...as opposed to this crew of johnny-come-latelies who want everybody else to do while they pose for pix.

At least Ellen put her money where her mouth is :up:

And I'm sick of all the people who complain about not hearing how much celebrities donate. You have no idea if Simon gave a million dollars to that village in Africa. Or if Paula Abdul donated $10,000 to build a new facility for the boys and girls club? Instead of complaining about other people being on television for charity, why don't you and those like you take a step back and realize what this has done?

My dad, a hardcore Republican who never gave a shit about Katrina victims (and honestly, still doesn't) sat there with his jaw on the floor watching how those kids in Africa lived. When they brought up the malaria infested kids all he could say at the moment was, "There's nothing we can do about that."
I immediately said, OF COURSE THERE IS and right there and then, they showed how $10 mosquito nets could save the life of a family. He said that he had no idea it would be like that.

Of course, he didn't donate any money, and I wouldn't have expected a television show to change that attitude, but now he knows what Africa can be like. And he knows that it is so simple to change this.
No one is expecting people to give their hearts to those in poverty overnight, but the point of doing this on American Idol was to give awareness to those people who aren't U2 fans and know everything there is to know about Africans in need already, thanks to Bono's :blahblah:

So say what you will about the contrived and scripted efforts, they might have been done just like you say, but the heart behind the whole thing is genuinely pure.
On Tuesday night my mom said, "Why doesn't Siiimon give half of his fortune away?"
My response? "Why don't you?"

PlaTheGreat said:

And I'm sick of all the people who complain about not hearing how much celebrities donate. You have no idea if Simon gave a million dollars to that village in Africa. Or if Paula Abdul donated $10,000 to build a new facility for the boys and girls club? Instead of complaining about other people being on television for charity, why don't you and those like you take a step back and realize what this has done?

My dad, a hardcore Republican who never gave a shit about Katrina victims (and honestly, still doesn't) sat there with his jaw on the floor watching how those kids in Africa lived. When they brought up the malaria infested kids all he could say at the moment was, "There's nothing we can do about that."
I immediately said, OF COURSE THERE IS and right there and then, they showed how $10 mosquito nets could save the life of a family. He said that he had no idea it would be like that.

Of course, he didn't donate any money, and I wouldn't have expected a television show to change that attitude, but now he knows what Africa can be like. And he knows that it is so simple to change this.
No one is expecting people to give their hearts to those in poverty overnight, but the point of doing this on American Idol was to give awareness to those people who aren't U2 fans and know everything there is to know about Africans in need already, thanks to Bono's :blahblah:

So say what you will about the contrived and scripted efforts, they might have been done just like you say, but the heart behind the whole thing is genuinely pure.
On Tuesday night my mom said, "Why doesn't Siiimon give half of his fortune away?"

I hear this same point made in various forms whenever somebody trashes Bono for his charity work.

I get what they were trying to do, I really do. I also think probably a lot of money got raised that otherwise wouldn't have, because of Idol Gives Back. I think that's great, obviously. I think, looking at the big picture, that any attention brought to the issues facing not only Africa but also Appalacia and the various depressed urban & rural areas around this country is a good thing. So all in all, I'm glad they did it.

But if it's OK for the judges to say, among other things, that this or that Idol's performance was believable based on watching them for 2 minutes, I can do the same. I don't buy Ryan. He came/comes across as phony, IMO. If you think he's sincerely concerned that's fine...but this is a guy who when not doing AI hosts various radio & TV shows dedicated to whether or not Britney, Lindsay, and Paris have panties on today. He showed us a bit of sensitivity, and to me it appeared forced...and this was edited footage - imagine what they cut out?

For the record, I don't celebrities have to tell anyone what they donate; they don't owe me or anybody else that information. It just felt really uncomfortable to me. Not sure if you ever watch Maury (the wife watches, so I see my fair share), but when he has the paternity tests, which is 4 out of 5 days a week I think...he parades these girls out there to be called every name in the book by the possible father, then reads the results. And when the guy turns out not to be the dad, and he dances around like an idiot, and the girl runs offstage crying...and there goes Maury to put a fatherly arm around her, and tenderly whisper how he'll help her find & test other guys if she wants. He acts all concerned, and it's complete BS. Humiliating those girls makes him money, which is fine, but when he acts all concerned about their feelings it's phony, and very transparent. Well, I got the same feeling from Ryan.

Maybe I'm wrong...if I had to guess I'd pick Simon as the most genuinely concerned among Ryan & the 3 judges. Maybe I'm wrong...

Anyway, ending the hijack...2 eliminations next week, should be interesting. That moment of shock when the audience thought Jordin was out was priceless, but I felt bad for her. That was kinda mean.

CTU2fan said:

He showed us a bit of sensitivity, and to me it appeared forced...and this was edited footage - imagine what they cut out?

It might have seemed forced, but did you ever think about how you've never seen him be sensitive before, and this is how he really is? As robotic as it may be.

Besides, I don't think you can go to Africa, see these people and not be truly affected. Regardless of what is shown on TV, it hit a nerve at home. Just because he jokes around on TV a lot doesn't make him any less credible.

I understand what you are saying about Maury's comforting arm around the shoulder. But it's a completely different situation to go into someone's shanty house and watch children crying about their lost parents, or seeing a woman on her deathbed.

I'm just saying that this is the first time you've ever seen a sensitive side to them, and you have a preconceived notion about how "sensitive" would look like for them.

That could be it. Regardless, they raised a ton of cash which is 100% a good thing.

CTU2fan said:

With the Ryan & Simon Africa footage, when Ryan's telling the boy not to cry, that it's OK, I wanted to grab him by his ears & twist his pin head around. Get a clue Ryan, it's absolutely NOT OK.

I believe Ryan was telling the boy to let it all out and that it's okay to let it out. :huh: It did not come off as Ryan was telling the kid not to cry. :huh:

RedrocksU2 said:
I have this mixed emotion of seeing other people wear the One band.:hmm:
I have worn the band since the Vertigo Tour started and I have hope that when people see me wearing it, they don't think that I am wearing just because of American Idol. :huh:

Oh well, as long as we can get more people to make a difference.

Honestly, who cares if people start wearing the One band and join One because of American Idol? I mean, if you ask some people it's just as bad a wearing it b/c Bono told you to. ;)

CTU2fan said:
That could be it. Regardless, they raised a ton of cash which is 100% a good thing.

Exactly!!! Regardless of everything else, I am just blown away by how much was raised! An amazing, amazing thing! :wink:

Our own damn gov't couldn't raise that kind of cash... sad aint it?:huh:

WildHoneyAlways said:

I believe Ryan was telling the boy to let it all out and that it's okay to let it out. :huh: It did not come off as Ryan was telling the kid not to cry. :huh:

:yes: Just what I was going to say.

PlaTheGreat said:

Great post, Pla. Sure, it would be great if Simon, Ryan, et al donated one week's paycheck to various causes, but I have no control over that. However, I do have control over what I can do. So I donate to causes I believe in or write articles about people who are doing great things to help others. One thing I love about U2 fans is they actually walk the talk, and get involved. Hugs to you all.

And another thing I've noticed about people who bitch about celebs and activism or complain about people choosing to focus on one cause rather than another (like donate money to the Humane Society rather than a child-oriented charity), is the complainers rarely do anything themselves to help out. They just sit on their asses and piss and moan.

RedrocksU2 said:
I have this mixed emotion of seeing other people wear the One band.:hmm:
I have worn the band since the Vertigo Tour started and I have hope that when people see me wearing it, they don't think that I am wearing just because of American Idol. :huh:

:huh: Who cares if they did? Is it any better to be wearing it just because of Bono?

jsierra.jpg

Former American Idol contestant Jessica Sierra was arrested on drug possession and felony battery charges early Sunday in Tampa, Fla.

Sierra, 21, allegedly hit a man over the head with a heavy glass at a café and was booked at the Hillsborough County Jail on a charge of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, the Associated Press reports.

She was also charged with possession of cocaine and introduction of contraband into a correctional facility after officers found a small amount of the drug while searching her, a police spokeswoman told the AP.

The victim of the alleged battery suffered a cut over his eye, but no further details were available. Sierra was released Sunday afternoon on $11,500 bail.

Sierra, a Tampa native, was a finalist on the FOX talent show in 2005 and the first of the Top 10 to be ousted following a disappointing rendition of LeAnn Rimes's "On the Side of Angels."

Last year a 59-year-old California man was charged with stalking her after police said he left voicemail messages telling her he loved her and was willing to go to jail for her and sent her jewelry and dozens of long-stemmed roses after seeing her on Idol.

He was arrested at her grandparents' home after he flew from California to Tampa and called Sierra's cellphone twice asking her to pick him up.

MrsSpringsteen said:
jsierra.jpg

Former American Idol contestant Jessica Sierra was arrested on drug possession and felony battery charges early Sunday in Tampa, Fla.

I read this article this morning...but I could not remember who she was???

I remember her. I think she was in the top 12 last season, but got booted fairly soon. She had a nice, smoky/husky voice and a rocker chick vibe.

Unless I'm thinking of someone else, which is entirely possible!

gosh, I must be losing it....I don't remember her.....was it the season with the awful barbara streisand wannabe girl on it?

I remember this Jessica chic. She had a decent voice, and I think she made the top ten and went on tour. I think it was during the Carrie Underwood season.

Back
Top Bottom