American Idol 6 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aww, the Stayin' Alive thing was awesome! Hugh Laurie! Hugh Grant! Helen Mirren! BUFFY SUMMERS!!! ... er, I mean Sarah Michelle Gellar!!!

The whole "the most SHOCKING results evah!!!" thing is pissing me off. But whatever.

:grumpy:

Oh, and I liked Carrie Underwood's performance. I've never cared for that song, but I liked that version.

Last edited:
I know it's important to show this stuff to the masses in America, to bring the reality into our living rooms, but is it really necessary to have Snow Patrol playing in the background as they carry a dying woman into the car?

I believe Simon and Ryan's emotions in those clips were sincere, but something about them just seems so disingenious. Maybe it's just the soundtrack bothering me.

I thought the whole thing felt weird too. I'm not sure if it was the background music or just the fact that Simon and Ryan just seemed so out of place. I think we're just so used to seeing them in a context that's so meaningless and superficial. I do think their emotions were real. It was just weird.

He was in one or two of those pre-taped "please donate" clips, but has not appeared live.

Oooooh, bottom two eliminated next week! Idol, you are forgiven.

:love:

Last edited:
first I have to ask who at Ford thinks those cheesy "videos" were/are a good idea to keep doing? ugh. the Stayin Alive thing was ok, but the one with the contestants, no thank you.

second, I'll take only a few seconds to complain that Bono was put in at the very end of the show and only for a few minutes. Ok, I'm done complaining about that.

the show I think could have been 3 hours last night, some of it seemed rushed. I didn't like how they made it out to be the "most shocking" results either. Since the show was to raise money and focus on this important topic, they could have said even part way through that there weren't going to be any eliminations and focus on the important stuff.

When they had Paula on stage, judging at the cut of her shirt, the people donating money weren't the only ones giving back :giggle:

I enjoyed the show. I thought it had some great performances by people I don't usually care about. Sure there were some fast forward moments but I enjoyed it for the most part. Ben Stiller and Jack Black made me laugh outloud. And I didn't find Simon & Ryan in Africa to be particularly weird. They did good work. :up:

corianderstem said:
I didn't think it was Jordin's best performance, but I still think she's awesome.

I think she can sing but her performance tuesday night was way overrated and she ruined American Prayer.

She lets her emotions ruin her pitch and whatnot and then my ears start to bleed!!

I have this mixed emotion of seeing other people wear the One band.:hmm:
I have worn the band since the Vertigo Tour started and I have hope that when people see me wearing it, they don't think that I am wearing just because of American Idol. :huh:

Oh well, as long as we can get more people to make a difference.

However Annie LEnox terrible is still pretty darn good!!

I have mixed feeling about last night. While I think it was great that all that money was raised I feel liek they needed to seperate themselves more from the competition and focus on the "giving back". Like making Jordin sing right after she had a meltdown b/c she thought she was kicked off-not so good.

Anyways good for Idol for not just being about themselves for a change. I thought Simon's reactions in Africa were great. He was just pissed...as he should have been.

AI Recaps-April 25th
Idol Gives Back and the Results

After Ryan screws up the opening intro, he tells us that AI received over 70 million votes, and the results will be shocking!! And during “Idol Gives Back” we AI addicts can donate our hard-earned dollars via a toll free number or the Internet. Ryan introduces the judges. Randy gives back by wearing a shirt made out of a bedsheet from 1973. Paula gives back by showing off the “girls.” And Simon could give back if he ever wore a tie.

Ryan sends us to Ellen DeGeneres who is hosting at the Disney Concert Hall. Earth, Wind, and Fire perform a medley of their hits. Baby Boomers everywhere, trying to keep their AARP years at bay, recall their disco dancing days. Ah yes, disco balls, polyester, and cocaine.

Before we get to more performances or the results, we get some footage of Randy visiting his home state of Louisiana. Though Hurricane Katrina was nearly two years ago, the people of New Orleans are still dealing with a host of problems like crime, poverty, and living in FEMA trailers. Fortunately, Save the Children is adding a positive element to kids’ lives.

Now music legend Quincy Jones leads the Idol hopefuls through a new song “A Time to Care.” I actually appreciated the group harmony, and the Lion King like sound. I guess I’m easily pleased.

After the group sing, and after Ben Stiller totally irritates me, Ryan and Simon show off their honeymoon video. Oops, I mean their footage to their trip to Kenya. Ryan and Simon meet two orphaned siblings, Groman (?) and Violet. Despite all of their hardships, Groman and Violet are focusing on their education. Education is young Groman and Violet’s way out of poverty.

After the footage, we see our Idolettes seated on the seats of triumph or failure. Melinda is deemed safe. But we have a million things to get to before we can find out if anyone else is safe or doomed.

Paula visits the kids at Los Angeles’ Boys and Girls Club. The kids prove to be far more on the ball than Paula.

After Paula’s segment, we go back to the Disney Concert Hall. Ellen introduces Chris Sligh’s favorite group, Il Divo. Il Divo sing a “popera” version of “Somewhere.” Okay.

Finally things get entertaining when Jack Black gets up on stage and sings Seal’s “Kiss from a Rose.” I actually thought this part was fun, and “Better than Sanjaya” is totally my band’s name.
Ready for some more results, kids? Blake is announced safe, and countless “Blaker Girls” throw their panties.

Next we get some footage of Carrie Underwood singing “I’ll Stand by You” while in South Africa. Considering Miss Underwood’s eye lashes, I thought it was a Cover Girl commercial at first.

Back at the Disney Concert Hall, Ellen introduces Rascal Flatts. Not a fan of their Chris Richardson nasally vocal stylings, I take a bathroom break.

Show of hands. How many of you are a friend of Tom’s?

Next we get some footage of the Appalachian Mountains in Kentucky where coal mining, and sadly, illiteracy, are a way of life. I’m still shocked that in the United States there are people who can’t read. I’m so sheltered sometimes. I did get a bit teary-eyed when young mother Tanya mentioned how proud she was when her daughter came home and read a page to her out of a book.

If it’s results night, then we must have a pimpmercial for Ford. The Idol contestants sing “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” and drive to the drive-in movies, where they see a plethora of celebrities geeking their way through the disco classic, “Stayin’ Alive.” However, I do want to be Helen Mirren when I grow up.

Guess what? Phil is safe!

Next we see more footage of Ryan and Simon in Africa, discussing how AIDS has devastated the continent. I never thought I’d say it, but I think there’s a heart underneath Simon’s t-shirt.

Ellen tells us she’s donating $100,000 to Idol Gives Back. Hmm, I wonder how much other celebs are giving. They can pony up a lot more than us mere mortals.

Josh Groban sings “You Raise Me Up” with the delightful African Children’s Chorus. I can’t say anything snarky about these lovely children. Their faces were pure joy.

After that performance, we get a montage of how many funerals some celebs have gone to. As if we care. But more importantly, we learn far too many children die from malaria, which can be treated and prevented.

Kelly Clarkson sings “Up to the Mountain” accompanied by the legendary Jeff Beck. I was blown away by her performance. She sounded terrific!

The Simpson’s short was hilarious!

And LaKisha is safe. Wow, I thought she was a goner.

Okay, the duet between Celine and the CGI Elvis seriously creeped me out. Or maybe Celine was CGI. Remember when Elliott sang this song last year? Yea, good times. I wish AI would have brought him back.

Madonna’s speaking voice bugs me. Just thought I’d mention that.

After a few weird moments, we go back to the Disney Concert Hall. Ellen introduces the wonderful Annie Lennox who sings “Bridge Over Troubled Water.” If I can’t be Helen Mirren when I grow up, can I be Annie Lennox? Goosebump City!!

Now we are back to the results. Chris is safe. Jordin is safe. Huh? Did I miss something? Well, I guess we can’t kick off anyone during “Idol Gives Back.” And keeping Mr. Nasal on this show is definitely an act of charity.

Finally, we get to the best part. Bono joins the Idol contestants to mentor them, and tell them about the work he has done on behalf of Africa. Love him. LOVE HIM!!! He was so generous and kind towards the contestants. I actually liked the final group sing, “American Prayer,” but it would have been even better if Bono would have joined them. Then again, I probably would have fainted dead on the floor.

Did I like “Idol Gives Back” Night? Well, I support the charitable causes, but the jury is still out if I liked the actual show. There were definitely some highlights, but some parts that were just unnecessary filler. And as my sister mentioned, Ben Stiller may have been irritating, but he wasn’t nearly as irritating as Sanjaya.

U2Girl416 said:

the show I think could have been 3 hours last night, some of it seemed rushed. I didn't like how they made it out to be the "most shocking" results either. Since the show was to raise money and focus on this important topic, they could have said even part way through that there weren't going to be any eliminations and focus on the important stuff.

You should know by now that they always want to keep the viewer watching till the very end, and that was their way of doing it. :wink:

When they showed Madonna holding the little African child, all I could picture was her saying " I think I'll take this one ". Overall, the show was good. Some of the celebrities seemed genuinely sincere about the cause, others - not so much. The kids appeared completely awestruck by Bono, can't say I blame them.

Last edited:
I never thought I’d say it, but I think there’s a heart underneath Simon’s t-shirt

:lol:

Simon's sexiness went up numerous notches for me with his newfound Bononess.

I read this on the People what-you-didn't-see blog and thought it was funny

"For a crowd who had been anticipating surprise duet, there was an audible letdown when it was Celine Dion and Elvis Presley, who made a "guest appearance" next to her in the form of a 1968 performance. There were grumblings and light boos from the audience, who talked amongst themselves during the performance."

MrsSpringsteen said:

"For a crowd who had been anticipating surprise duet, there was an audible letdown when it was Celine Dion and Elvis Presley, who made a "guest appearance" next to her in the form of a 1968 performance. There were grumblings and light boos from the audience, who talked amongst themselves during the performance."

there were "grumblings and light boos" in my home last night during this as well :(

JCOSTER said:

It's called pay it forward...

It's not paying it forward, though. It was a feel-good plot twist that felt sort of shallow to me. Paying it forward isn't about instant gratification, just like giving isn't about getting something back or telling people what you've given. It's about the good things those kids are going to do in their lives because people helped them.

It's wonderful that they raised so much money last night, and I hope this has made a lot of families start talking about what it means to give. I hope people continue to give both their time and their money to these causes. Maybe it was just the way I was raised, but I feel like charity needs to be a part of our everyday lives, not just a once in awhile thing we do when somebody on TV tells us to.

I guess it could've been worse--they could've let Sanjaya come back :wink:

Back
Top Bottom