American Idol 6 - Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ultravioletluvv said:

I did notice it, but I thought I read somewhere that Lakisha was actually Sanjaya's best friend in the house. They were supposedly really close. I could be wrong though. It may be Melinda. But I know I read that somewhere

It's LaKisha, and I really should not know that.

I think LaKisha is a phenomenal singer, but I think it's possible she started coasting on all the praise she got and didn't put enough focus on song choice and broadening her style to be good in all genres. It's become clear to me how important song choice is on that show, even for the best singers. It's not enough to be a phenomenal singer, and each individual performance does matter. All of that matters even though it's also a looks/popularity/Sanjaya fluke phenomenon show.

Lila64 said:
As always, very nice GG, very nice :up:

Yes it was great. Pure gold :up:

And I love Martina McBride-she's beautiful (she's gotten too skinny though imo) and she can sing. Love that song too, even though it's corny and all that..

Last edited:
To be fair, Sanjaya can actually sing.

How well he sings seems to be a topic of great debate, but you have to admit he sings better than William Hung.

Ok I know this is politically incorrect but had to do it..Found it online

idols_gone_wild1.jpg

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

It's LaKisha, and I really should not know that.

I think LaKisha is a phenomenal singer, but I think it's possible she started coasting on all the praise she got and didn't put enough focus on song choice and broadening her style to be good in all genres. It's become clear to me how important song choice is on that show, even for the best singers. It's not enough to be a phenomenal singer, and each individual performance does matter. All of that matters even though it's also a looks/popularity/Sanjaya fluke phenomenon show.

I think that's very true. For me at least all through the early (pre-final 12) shows I felt like LaKisha was clearly the singer to beat, and that it wasn't all that close (I felt the same with Ruben & Fantasia). But Jordin & Melinda have really excelled to the point where I think they've passed her by. I'm hoping that this week and being in the bottom 3 is a wakeup call for LaKisha, and she'll step her game up in the next weeks.

Funny how we hear nothing about Ruben Studdard or Taylor Hicks :shrug: Hicks is on tour, and should be playing in S.Calif. in 2 weeks. Looks like one of his L.A. shows got cancelled, unless it was just relocatd :shrug:

Lila64 said:
Funny how we hear nothing about Ruben Studdard or Taylor Hicks :shrug: Hicks is on tour, and should be playing in S.Calif. in 2 weeks. Looks like one of his L.A. shows got cancelled, unless it was just relocatd :shrug:

I think this just goes to show that A) the people who vote on American Idol are not necessarily the same ones who are running out and buying CDs, and B) Looks are still very important in the music industry. Kelly and Carrie both have a good enough look to stay successful and appeal to the masses outside of AI. Sad, but true.

Lila64 said:
Funny how we hear nothing about Ruben Studdard or Taylor Hicks :shrug:

Those around me still hear a lot about Taylor Hicks!! :giggle:

He's gonna be in Michigan on Sunday night. I wish I was going. :( :love:

I think my wife has all of Ruben's cd's (3 or 4 I think) so I hear about him plenty. I do think there's a different group of people buying vs. voting...I also think the person who votes 100 times isn't buying 100 copies of a cd. Just looking at the success of past Idols it seems the AI audience tends to favor light pop/adult contemp type stuff (Kelly, Clay) and country (Carrie). Truthfully I'm surprised Daughtry's done well, I'd think the AI connection might turn off a more rock audience.

Oh and what's this week's theme, anyone know? I don't remember hearing...

CTU2fan said:
I think my wife has all of Ruben's cd's (3 or 4 I think) so I hear about him plenty. I do think there's a different group of people buying vs. voting...I also think the person who votes 100 times isn't buying 100 copies of a cd. Just looking at the success of past Idols it seems the AI audience tends to favor light pop/adult contemp type stuff (Kelly, Clay) and country (Carrie). Truthfully I'm surprised Daughtry's done well, I'd think the AI connection might turn off a more rock audience.

Oh and what's this week's theme, anyone know? I don't remember hearing...

Its the big Idol Gives Back night so the theme is Inspirational Songs. Although I don't really want to hear U2 murdered on AI it will be very weird if not one U2 song is done.

Dana

I've watched very season, but I've never voted. :shrug: I did finally try to vote for Taylor Hicks for the final vote last season, but I couldn't get through.

I voted in the first season, maybe a little in the second season, but other than maybe one or two calls here and there, I don't vote anymore.

I don't like the highlights

people.com

Sanjaya's a Hit at White House Correspondents' Dinner

Sanjaya fever hit Washington, D.C., Saturday night, as the ousted American Idol star attended the White House Correspondents' Dinner – with celebs (Teri Hatcher) and politicians (New York Governor Eliot Spitzer) all vying for a chance to meet the wild-haired singing sensation.

One female fan even got to rub her hands through his hair.

Malakar, 17, was a guest of PEOPLE, joining fellow celebs Valerie Bertinelli, High School Musical star Zac Efron, Project Runway's Tim Gunn, comedian Eddie Izzard and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Other stars at the event included Sheryl Crow and Laurie David (who had a run-in with Karl Rove), Kerry Washington, and Desperate Housewives stars Hatcher, James Denton and creator Marc Cherry.

(blah blah about Sheryl Crow and Karl Rove being in a confrontation about global warming)

The mild-mannered Malakar, meanwhile, told PEOPLE he's just trying to take it all in. "It's been really a whirlwind. I've just been trying to ride the wave and go one day at a time," said Malakar, wearing a dark pinstriped suit and highlighted, loose curls.

The swooning fans made him "a little uncomfortable," he admitted. But it's attention he may have to get used to as he sets his sights on a future beyond music. "I want to go into acting or modeling, maybe Broadway," said the former Idol, who thinks doing a hair commercial "Would be awesome!"

Sanjaya and Petra Nemcova

sanjaya_malakar320.jpg

^ Yep, and then Chris will nasal his way through With or Without You, and I'll give myself a double Van Gogh.

On David Letterman this evening:

Monday, April 23
Brian Williams
Steven Wright (DVD, "When The Leaves Blow Away")
Top Ten List with Sanjaya Malakar

It's official!!! From U2.com.....

American Idol Africa Special: 'Idol Gives Back'

Bono is due to meet with the six remaining finalists to talk with them about the work of ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History and how they and the show's audience can help in the fight against extreme poverty.

The 'Idol Gives Back' special will run over two nights in the US this week, Tuesday and Wednesday. Bono's chat with the finalists will feature briefly on the Wednesday evening show.

The special will raise money for Charity Projects Entertainment Fund (CPEF) and other organisations that help children and young people in extreme poverty.

Further information at one.org

Allegra said:
It's official!!! From U2.com.....

American Idol Africa Special: 'Idol Gives Back'

Bono is due to meet with the six remaining finalists to talk with them about the work of ONE: The Campaign to Make Poverty History and how they and the show's audience can help in the fight against extreme poverty.

The 'Idol Gives Back' special will run over two nights in the US this week, Tuesday and Wednesday. Bono's chat with the finalists will feature briefly on the Wednesday evening show.

The special will raise money for Charity Projects Entertainment Fund (CPEF) and other organisations that help children and young people in extreme poverty.

Further information at one.org

well at least it is not a performance. It makes sense.. a taped portion of the show not live. This is what I figured would happen. I can deal with that.. but if it were performing live on stage I don't know what I would do...:barf:

Back
Top Bottom