American Idol 6 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gwen...:love: I thought that the theme of the night was simply pop music, which meant the songs didn't necessarily have to have a tie to Gwen. :shrug: Seems like the most far-fetched theme/guest coordination, if that's the case, but I won't complain...since we got Gwen. :wink:

LaKisha performed well, but it just didn't do anything for me. I don't get it. I mean, I have no complaints, but...I don't know. :shrug:

Chris S. was awful. I didn't thing the song started out too terribly, but it quickly went downhill. Wow. I mean, his personality has already been grating on me as of late, but I still enjoyed his singing. Well...I DID enjoy it. :huh:

I dislike Gina. I didn't think the song was terrible or anything, but it just didn't strike me as anything special. When Simon praised it not only as her best performance but the best performance of the night so far, I wanted to smack him for insulting LaKisha.

It really does seem like Sanjaya has realized people just take him as a joke, so he's decided to have as much fun as possible. My gosh, after hair like that, he might get even more votes because people will want to see how he can possibly top that. Sanjaya really does have talent though...I was thinking last night that I do remember liking his audition. It's just that he the other finalists are much better than he is.

Okay, am I the only one who really doesn't care for "True Colors"? Regardless of who is singing it? I've never understood the appeal of this song. Haley did nothing to change my mind.

Phil surprised me, I actually enjoyed his performance. Then again, maybe it was just nice to hear a Police song that wasn't horrendously butchered (thanks, Chris S.).

I got distracted during Melinda's performance and wasn't paying much attention, but she sounded good. She didn't really excite me though.

Oh, Blake. I :heart: you.

Thanks for ruining that song for me, Jordin. :(

I'm kind of torn over Chris R. I can't really decide if I like his version or not. :slant:

Golightly Grrl said:
Sanjaya (Bathwater)- ... Plus, with his snippy retort to the judges he’s really becoming a cocky little bastard, isn’t he? Sadly, it’s Sanjaya’s world; we just live in it.

Oh, I missed his snippy retort. No wonder you all are calling him cocky!

That little shit. Off with his stupid head!

Rumor is that Gwen did not want Sanjaya to sing a No Doubt song, she didn't believe he could carry it off (or maybe she was embarrassed, hehe) Supposedly she is doing Sweet Escape tonight. I think Gwen was the nicest coach ever, but also she didn't seem to do much coaching. She looked so pretty without all her usual makeup-it was more like Martha Stewart (post correctional facility) than Gwen though.

I laughed at her comments about Haley changing the melody of "True Colors."

In short, it was something like: "yeah ... just ... no. Don't do that."

:lol:

I just have to say something.. it's been bugging me from the beginning.. But here it goes.. I love Melinda and she's got amazing, amazing, mindblowing talent BUT.. I CAN'T GET PAST THE FACT.. that she HAS NO NECK.. It's truly bothering me.. I really am not shallow but it does have an effect on the whole package with me.. the music, stage presence and talent..

Am I the only one that is bothered by this.. ? Anyone else feel like this? :reject:

U2Fanatic4ever said:
I just have to say something.. it's been bugging me from the beginning.. But here it goes.. I love Melinda and she's got amazing, amazing, mindblowing talent BUT.. I CAN'T GET PAST THE FACT.. that she HAS NO NECK.. It's truly bothering me.. I really am not shallow but it does have an effect on the whole package with me.. the music, stage presence and talent..

Am I the only one that is bothered by this.. ? Anyone else feel like this? :reject:
I agree that Melinda's lack of a neck is a bit disconcerting. And it doesn't help that the retched AI stylists put her in outfits that emphasize this. Why can't they put her in something with a V-neck that will take attention away from her short neck?

Yes it's true, Melinda is neckless :wink: I think her surprise at all the compliments she gets is getting a lil annoying-don't get me wrong, I like her and think her humility is 100 % genuine, but it's like anything else that's repeated ad infinitum- it gets old. It's a telling commentary on the state of the music business that she's just a backup singer, with the voice that she has she should have had a solo career years ago.

I love "croaking crooner"

SEATTLE (AP) - Flowing hair and a precious smile have their rewards.

Especially if you're Sanjaya Malakar, who is considered one of the weakest performers on "American Idol" but has a fan base that has helped him survive multiple rounds of viewer elimination.

In the online community and in Malakar's home state of Washington, the croaking crooner seems to have a loyal following of friends, family and fanatics who would like nothing better than to see him achieve the ultimate "Idol" success and be the last singer standing in May.

"I think he has a career ahead of him, whether he wins or not," said Pastor Pat Wright, a gospel choir director in Seattle who has known Malakar for five years.

Wright, who calls in weekly to vote for Malakar, acknowledges that much of his support likely comes from an online community of young fans enthralled with his chameleon hairdos and flashing grin.

"He's very handsome. That's most of it," she said. "He's a teenager, and young girls and guys really like him."

In recent weeks, the lanky teen from Federal Way—a city of about 84,000, 20 miles south of Seattle—has taken some hard hits from the public and all three judges on News Corp.'s Fox network show.

Simon Cowell went so far as to say if Malakar wins, he'll quit. :lol:

But in Seattle, where Malakar sang with the Total Experience Gospel Choir, Wright and Malakar's family say the young man is holding back.

"He sings from the heart, and people who hear him can feel that heart and they become, many times, very emotional," said Wright, who has directed Malakar in her choir for at least three years.

She can't explain the change in her young pupil, but says he "sounded down" during a recent telephone conversation she had with him.

"He has not shown America what he can do. That's what I said to him a couple days ago. 'I want you to give them the showmanship. I want you to give them Sanjaya's heart,'" she said.

Despite the criticism and pressure, Malakar has held up remarkably well for someone "as young and as inexperienced as he is," says his aunt, Christi Recchi of Seattle.

Recchi introduced Malakar to Wright's choir, where she says his musical personality blossomed. But she agrees that her nephew hasn't been performing his best.

Some of the show's followers expected Malakar to be voted off quickly. But for now his success continues with assistance from fans, as well as backhanded help from the likes of Howard Stern and groups like votefortheworst.com, which since 2004 has vowed to support any contestant that producers would like to see cut from the show.

Malakar's singing talents may pale in comparison with other finalists, but his ability to work the crowd may pull him through.

"I think at this point in his career, he's the sort of classic case of desire for fame outstripping ability," said Jasen Emmons, director of curatorial affairs at Seattle's Experience Music Project museum.

Malakar's most recent performance of "You Really Got Me" showed the teen's strong stage presence, said Emmons, who has 10- and 13-year-old daughters who watch the show.

"At age 17, he's not going to be able to stand there and belt out a ballad," Emmons says. "But his charm might keep him in the fight."

:up:

There's a few of them that like U2.. I was reading somewhere about Chris Sligh's top two hundred songs and there are two U2 ones.. Elevation and City of Blinding Lights.

Sanjaya's Pohawk last night was :yikes: Seriously.. and he was a bit arsey too. Please make the pain stop!

I liked Gina, Blake , Melinda and Lakisha best. Blake is so durned cute too.

I loved Simon when they started playing the music before he was finished :giggle: "This isn't the Oscars"

Oh, gawd, Pat Wright. You know, that Total Experience Gospel Choir is very, very good. When you hear them with the best singers. They also do stuff with less than good singers, which is .. interesting. (But it's good to let kids who aren't great get a chance to do something they love, honestly.)

I can only assume Sanjaya sang with the "less good" group. :wink:

There was a female contestant from Seattle in the third (?) season who was also a former member of the Total Experience Gospel Choir. She was one of my least favorite contestants ever. Thank god she didn't last long that season.

:down:

I said earlier on in the competition that he does have a nice little voice ... but that doesn't mean he should be a big ol' pop star.

I'm all confused about that Pat Wright choir now. Sometimes there's adults that are great, sometimes there's kids that kind of blow, and sometimes there's kids that sing decently. It's like 500 different choirs or something. :huh:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Rumor is that Gwen did not want Sanjaya to sing a No Doubt song, she didn't believe he could carry it off (or maybe she was embarrassed, hehe) Supposedly she is doing Sweet Escape tonight. I think Gwen was the nicest coach ever, but also she didn't seem to do much coaching. She looked so pretty without all her usual makeup-it was more like Martha Stewart (post correctional facility) than Gwen though.

I thought it was odd that Gwen didn't seem to coach or give any advice, at least not on camera. She listened to them perform and that seemed to be about it. And I agree, she looked much prettier without the tons of makeup. Less is more :up:

If someone like Britney can be a professional singer, Sanjaya should be able to advance on the show.

ntalwar said:
If someone like Britney can be a professional singer, Sanjaya should be able to advance on the show.

Britney does have singing abilities, and she is also a great dancer and is very beautiful. Sanjaya can sing too, but I just think he's a bit in over his head with Idol. He's also not a bad looking kid, if he could find a good hairstyle and go with it. :laugh:

Sicy said:
I just noticed that Gina's favorite band is U2 :love:

oh yeah, No Doubt opened for U2 on the ATYCLB tour (You probably knew this). Saw them at Staples Center and they were great. She is excellent live.

RedrocksU2 said:

oh yeah, No Doubt opened for U2 on the ATYCLB tour (You probably knew this). Saw them at Staples Center and they were great. She is excellent live.

Yep! they were awesome! Was at 2 of the shows at Staples Center that tour. They were a great live band! It's a shame they aren't touring together anymore. I also dug when she came out to do What's going on with the band too.:drool:

RedrocksU2 said:

Yep, I saw them .. I was in the 3rd row in the heart, it was like a dream come true, my two fav. bands in one night :drool:

Gwen.jpg
TonyNoDoubt.jpg

He even wore his U2 shirt. :heart:

I miss No Doubt :angry:

Ernie doesn't know who Gwen Stefani is. :angry:

He doesn't know who No Doubt are. :angry:

I don't know about him sometimes. :sad:

Lakisha's performance last night was nothing special. She's getting boring now. Melinda is way way better than her. Jordin and Haley picked terrible songs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom