American Idol 6 - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I voted for Phil. The guy may look like BatBoy but he carried the Police tune very nicely tonight!

I'm getting annoyed with Jordin now. She comes off artificial to me sometimes. She sings pretty well, really well actually but her laughter comes off so fake to me!

Oh.. and IMO Hailey is worse than even Sanjaya. :|

Gina was really good, and so was Lakisha. Just saw the cut to break for Haley & Sanjaya. I'm scared. Someone. Hold. Me.

:help:

sanjaya-malakar-ponyhawk-24.jpg

sanjaya-malakar-ponyhawk-29.jpg

:crack: :crack: :crack: :crack: :crack:

Sanjaya makes me want to shoot my TV.

Which is both the reason that I love and hate American Idol.

Gina was okay. I hate that song, and I hated her outfit. But I like her, so I hope she sticks around.

I hope Sanjaya is enjoying his five minutes of fame. It's pretty bizarre, still frustrating, but becoming more amusing to me.

First I have to say that I love Simon's comment for Sanjaya :der: You know Simon, you should have gotten rid of him when you had the chance.

Of course Lakisha, Melinda, and Jordin stood way out in front, and everyone else was OK.

If it's not Sanjaya, then I think Chris S. might be the next to go. The men are just weak in this competition.

Thanks to Howard Stern the judges know that they are wasting their time when they talk about Sanjaya. You can see the little smirk on their face. And I know it was hard not to laugh at his hair. They were also laughing because no matter what they say the people that are "voting for the worst" are going to try to keep him on.

And yes, Sanjaya's hair was very very bad :crazy: :coocoo:

nice one Sicy :hi5:

:lmao:

Surprise tonight: Phil. Thought he picked a good song & sang it well. Not that I voted for him, but based on tonight, he shouldn't be leaving tomorrow. We can only hope SM is outta here :pray:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Is it just me or does Sanjaya have a cocky attitude now? :eyebrow:

That hair kept me awake last night, I think I had nightmares that it chased me down a dark alley..

:lol:

I am just waiting for Simon to pick up his Coke cup and throw it at Sanjaya. I get into an extremely bad mood whenever he sings and he does have a cocky attitude now. I think it is kinda sad that he doesn't even try (kinda like what Randi and Paula were saying last night) like all the other contestants do. If I was on the show with him I would be PISSED!!

I really liekd Gina and Phil last night...nice surprise!!

Regina Filangie said:
I get the impression that Sanjaya realizes everyone thinks he's a joke and he's decided to just go with it. How else to explain that scary hairdo and bizarre choice of song.

That's kind of what I'm thinking, too. If that's the case, good for him. What else is he supposed to do? Look into the cameras and say, "I shouldn't be here. Please vote me off."?

Now, Kevin Covais ... HE got cocky. :wink:

I did like Gina & Phil, and of course LaKisha and Melinda. Jordin to me is this year's McPhee or DiGarmo...OK singers but very forgettable. I like Chris S's voice but the judges made a good point about him & the beat...I've noticed that before & last night it was painful. He said he'd never sang the song before...why pick a song you've NEVER sang if you can help it?

And Sanjaya...I actually thought his last 2 performances were better than the previous. Not that he shouldn't go home, but I think he's improving.

And Blake still sucks, I don't care what anybody says. He sucks.

And if the theme was "Songs that inspire Gwen Stefani" where the hell were the Bush songs? Gina could wail on "Comedown"...or what about Sanjaya "Machinehead"?

AI Recaps-March 27th
The Top Ten Perform

Tonight is all about featured guest Gwen Stefani and the artists that influenced her as both a solo artist and as a member of No Doubt. Gwen claimed that often personality and style mattered to more to her than actual singing. Somehow this doesn’t surprise me. And too bad she didn’t her hottie husband for some much needed male eye candy. Even having the Harajuku Girls would have made this episode more interesting.

LaKisha (Last Dance)-As usual, LaKisha was in fine vocal form singing this Donna Summer classic. And I liked that she sung a song that is more energetic and up-tempo. However, I wonder if she’s going to ever get out of her R & B diva box. She’s incredibly talented, but I’m getting a feeling she’s too afraid to stretch herself. Perhaps, she’ll surprise us during other theme weeks. I’m hoping she doesn’t hit the AI Seal of Doom on results’ night.

Chris S. (Everything She Does is Magic)-Chris S. claims that during his rare downtown he crochets and plays the bongos while sporting his boxer shorts. Hmm, that’s a visual I don’t want to see. Chris S. sings this infamous song by the Police. And though his voice sounds fine, he rushes through this song like he needs to catch a plane. It seems everyone is telling him to stay on the beat, but he doesn’t to listen. Plus, he just isn’t engaging while on-stage. He doesn’t seem to connect with the audience. Perhaps he thinks he can get by on his “humor” alone. However, this is a singing competition, not a snarking competition.

Gina (I’ll Stand by You)-Gina loves herself some Gwen. I bet she wants to hangout with Gwen and get her hands on some L.A.M.B. wear. But before that, Gina has to perform. I thought this was a great song choice for her voice and persona. I like that she can sing a rock ballad and become a bit more real than she has in past weeks. She seemed like less of a poser this time out, and I understand why Simon thought it was her best performance. I’ve been reading on the Internet that some people are put off by Gina because she’s in this competition to win it. Well, duh. Why is ambition in women still considered a turn-off? Would people say these things if Gina was a guy? It’s 2007 for goodness sake. Okay, end of rant. I’ll put down my copy of Ms magazine. Nobody trip over my soapbox on the way out of this re-cap, okay?

Sanjaya (Bathwater)-Sanjaya shows up with a “My Little Phony” faux hawk, and sings a No Doubt song. Well, it’s no doubt that Sanjaya is allowing his latest hair do (more like a hair don’t) do his performing for him. This kid has no redeemable stage skills whatsoever, and seems to phone in some whispery vocals instead of improving week after week. Plus, with his snippy retort to the judges he’s really becoming a cocky little bastard, isn’t he? Sadly, it’s Sanjaya’s world; we just live in it.

Haley (True Colors)-No one can sing this song like the inimitable Cyndi Lauper, and Haley is no different. Her voice sound lovely, but she gives such an uninspiring Miss America like performance. Okay, maybe not Miss America, maybe Miss Sweet Potato Pie of Crawford County performance. However, she does seem to be taking a page from the Kat McPhee playbook. If you can’t bring out an excellent performance, bring out some of your assets. With Kat, it was her cleavage. With Haley, it’s her legs.

Phil (Every Breath You Take)-Vocally, Phil sounded pretty good, though I do think his voice is way too guttural for my liking. I was kind of bored by his performance. It didn’t do much for me. I kept thinking of when I saw the Police in concert back in the day, and how fabulous they were when they performed this classic. I pretty much forgot about Phil moments after he was done. That doesn’t bode well. Furthermore, I get the idea that Phil thinks this song is a romantic love ballad rather than the creepy, stalker-ish song it is. I remember watching a TV interview with Sting, and he mentioned people would come up to him and say they played “Every Breath You Take” as their wedding song. Sting would retort, “Yeah, good luck with that.” Bwah!

Melinda (Heaven Knows)-Once again, Melinda’s voice is superb, and she interprets the lyrics because she actually gets them. She really gave us a sassy and fun performance. I wonder if she is human and has one faulty performance in her. Is it possible that she’s this good? And can she handle a theme outside of her comfort zone? I sure hope so because I really like her. However, I do have a bit of a quibble. Her outfit. Melinda is a cute and young woman, but why is she dressed like an 80-year-old woman sipping a pink lady by the poolside at some retirement community in Boca Raton? Stevie Wonder could dress her better.

Blake (Love Song)-Well, I never thought I would hear a Cure song on AI. Well actually, I heard the 311 version of a Cure song. Not surprising, considering 311 is Blake’s favorite band evah! I thought Blake’s performance was subtle and kind of sexy, not exactly worthy of panty-throwing, but he could definitely make it happen. His voice sounded great, and I’m glad he left the beat boxing out. He was definitely one of the best of the night.

Jordin (Hey Baby)-I thought Jordin sounded a bit off in the beginning. I think the key was too low for her. But she gained momentum as she went on and her voice got stronger. This was a great song for Jordin to sing with her youthful and exuberant vibe. However, I don’t think this performance is anywhere near the performance she gave last week. That one was absolutely stellar, and one of the best performances I have ever seen on all the seasons of AI. Perhaps she should have sung No Doubt’s “Just a Girl.”

Chris R. (Don’t Speak)-Sometimes I want to tell Nasal Boy “Don’t Sing,” but he’s not going to listen to me. Chris K-Feds this No Doubt song for all it’s worth. And though the judges commend him for bringing a more R & B vibe to this song, I was just bored. Sometimes I wonder what is worse, being horrified by a performance like I was with Sanjaya or being bored like I was with Chris R.

All in all, I thought it was a rather dull night. American Idol is really grabbing for straws when the theme is "Songs Gwen Stefani has on her iPOD." And though the Police, Donna Summer, and No Doubt have their appeal, I wish the song selection would have been more diverse. The lack of variety was the musical equivalent of Ambien. And to be honest, I originally thought this night was going to feature just music from the 1990s. Then again, isn’t it too soon to get nostalgic over the 1990s? I’m still working on the 1980s nostalgia. However, the 1990s was an interesting time in music. It started with Nirvana’s seminal “Smells Like Teen Spirit,” which cut through the musical landscape like a buzz saw through butter. And it ended with the canonization of tween culture giving us the likes of Britney Spears, N’Sync, and the Backstreet Boys, therefore, the inexplicable success of Sanjaya on this show. May God have mercy on our souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom