American Idol 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
corianderstem said:
I like him because 9 times out of 10, he's spot on in his criticisms. Sometimes he's a prick, though, and goes too far.

:up:

Re: Ashlyn - she had a great voice, and I was surprised at first when they passed on her. It didn't make any sense. I was thrilled when they brought her back to give her a second chance. I definitely think she deserved it. Don't know what will happen once she gets to Hollywood though - but at least she has the opportunity to work on her expressions or affectations (whatever you want to call it).

I liked Jimmy. I have an immediate soft spot for anyone who auditions with Sam Cooke and sings it well.

Lila64 said:

:up:

Re: Ashlyn - she had a great voice, and I was surprised at first when they passed on her. It didn't make any sense. I was thrilled when they brought her back to give her a second chance. I definitely think she deserved it. Don't know what will happen once she gets to Hollywood though - but at least she has the opportunity to work on her expressions or affectations (whatever you want to call it).

i guess I missed it.. what exactly was she doing with her face that caused them to pass on her the first time..

This show is only good for the entertainment factor! I cannot imagine auditioning for this show in serious hopes of becoming a singer. The judges are either clueless and just echo what other judges say (Randy) or incredibly and unnecessarily rude (Simon). Paula seems to be the only remotely good judge and even she seems to easily get affected by sympathy and/or swayed by other judges sometimes. Besides, any show that has judges literally laughing in the faces of people genuinely trying hard to make it (granted, there are idiots that go on there just to get on TV but there seems to be a lot of people seriously wanting to be a singer too) is just ridiculous. I cannot take it seriously. Needless to say, I am and will be watching it every week till it's over. :corn:

Zootlesque said:
Paula seems to be the only remotely good judge and even she seems to easily get affected by sympathy and/or swayed by other judges sometimes.

Sure, the once or twice a season when she actually makes a lick of sense.

She's nonsensical at best, drunk/stoned/emotionally disturbed (depending on who you believe) at worst, but mostly just there to be the soothing judge, the one who tells you "You have great spirit, and you made the song your own."

Golightly Grrl said:

Akron: Unlike Cousin William, Akron can sing. He gets a golden ticket.

This is the guy I was talking about earlier that got his ticket taken away since he did time in jail for having marijuana. He served his time and never got in trouble again. He's now in college trying to better himself. Also he told the producers and asked if it was OK to continue since he had a criminal background. They said nothing, and then changed their minds at the last minute and took his golden ticket away. And now AI will not say why they took it away because they don't have to say why. Whatever!

I really liked that girl who sang "Whipping Post." I was worried she'd be a train wreck, but she was great.

AI Recaps-February 7th
“Best of the Rest”

Auditions have been going on for the past 87 weeks. Well, it sure seems that way. To celebrate the end of this long, tedious, exhausting journey, I am enjoying a glass (okay, several glasses) of wine.

Now AI isn’t here just to entertain us; it’s also here to teach us necessary life lessons. Pay attention there may be a quiz at the end of the show. Damn, I’m just not a good test taker.

Lesson-Have a Memorable and Distinctive Look

Christa: Well, Christa has a memorable and distinctive look. She’s wearing Scarlett O’Hara’s corset, dad’s bermuda shorts, grandma’s hat circa 1947, and fuck-me pumps. I think Christa’s look is channeling Sybil. Too bad she can’t channel good singing.

Tami: After Christa’s look of multiple personalities, Tami’s lip ring is down right tame. She sings “Whipping Post” made very memorable by Bo Bice in the fourth season. I love her voice, very sexy. I think her gritty and unpolished look is welcome relief after some of the Barbies we’ve been treated to (Baylie Brown, I’m looking in your direction).

Lesson-Seek Inspiration

Paul Kim: Paul was inspired by William Hung to audition-to show that Asians do not have to be a national punch line. Thanks to my lovely AI spies, I was privy to Mr. Kim’s Myspace. In his audition, Paul proves he can sing, but in his Myspace page, Paul proves he can SANG! His voice is vocal sex and I am completely sated. Anyone have a cigarette?

Jack: From vocal sex, we go to vocal celibacy. Jack claims to be inspired by Bo. Poor Bo. He doesn’t deserve this.

Lesson-Never Give Up

Gina: Many of the auditioners were not AI virgins, including Gina. Gina got to Hollywood last season, but didn’t get very far. Now she’s back for more. She sings “Black Velvet” and unlike Sandie from yesterday, you can actually make out the song. Gina can sing and has a huge crush on Simon. She gets another chance. Will she get further than Hollywood week? We’ll find out.

Edward: Edward has a serious jones for Paula. Let’s ignore Edward’s singing (please), and discuss Paula’s dress. How cute is it? I wonder where she got it. Usually Paula makes fashion missteps, but that dress is simply adorable.

Lesson-Audition on Your Own

Now we have three carhops-Heather, Ashley, and Ebony.
Heather: Can sing, but kind of meh.
Ashley: Sings better than Heather (marginally better), but unfortunately set her make-up gun to “whore.”
Ebony: Can SANG! She’s definitely my favorite out of the three. She shows the most potential.
Ashley and Ebony skate away with golden tickets. Heather asks you if you want fries with your order.

In case you’ve been out of the AI loop, the show is running a contestant for viewers to write the coronation song for the next AI winner. Considering some of the dreck of the past five years, I figure any of us could write a better song using the words found in a game of Boggle. But I digress.

William: Using the acronym Wes, Wes decides to auditon using a original song, “Don’t Worry, Don’t Hurry.” And don’t give this guy a golden ticket.

Now we are told to shake our moneymaker, and we get a dancing montage. These people make Taylor Hicks look like Gene Kelly.

Alex: Well, Alex is very flexible and was inspired by Paula Abdul when it comes to dancing. ...5678 JAZZ HANDS! Great guy, but can’t sing and isn’t going to Hollywood. He is a nice kid, and I’m glad the judges weren’t brutal to him.

Lesson-Clarity

We learn that it’s important to actual be understood when we sing. Imagine that? We are asked to “Name that Song.” Um, I can’t. I’m so glad I’m drinking. Riesling has never tasted so good.

Lakisha: Note the Lakisha’s footwear. I love her shoes (damn, I must be desperate if I’m paying more attention to what people are wearing than the songs they are singing). She sings Aretha’s “Think” and blows it out of the park. Remember when Kat sang this last year? Me neither. Lakisha really gets into the spirit of the song. What do I think? I think she’s great. I’m glad she got through.

In the end we get a montage of memorable auditions, both the great and the grating.

Next week we get to the drama known as “Hollywood Week.” Remind me to replenish my wine rack.

I just don't know if I'll be up to watching AI the rest of the season. The only reason why I watched last year is that I was interested to see how far Taylor would go because he was so anti-pop. There's nobody in it this year to tickle my fancy. Well, maybe a couple of folks from Texas :wink: But that's it.

And yes, Hollywood Week is draining.

Akron is gone- I didn't know if they mentioned that last night, I didn't see it

tmz.com

Akron Watson, an "American Idol" contestant from Dallas and one of the feel-good stories of the new season, has been disinvited from the Hollywood round of the show, possibly after producers discovered a pot bust on his record.

Watson, whose San Antonio audition aired on last night's "Idol," was arrested in April 2003 for misdemeanor possession of marijuana, according to court records obtained and posted by PegasusNews.com, by way of Reality TV Magazine. He was headed to Hollywood after impressing the judges with his singing, and his story. But Watson tells Pegasus News that two days before he was scheduled to leave for Hollywood, he received a call saying that he would not be competing anymore "for unknown reasons." "Idol" producers did not comment on their withdrawn invitation.

Meanwhile, another contestant from San Antonio, facemaker Ashlyn Carr, was reportedly arrested in August for pouring sugar into the gas tank of her ex-boyfriend's car while a student at Sam Houston State University, according to a report in The Houstonian Online.

When confronted by police, says the Houstonian, Carr confessed to the crime.

A spokesman for FOX had no comment.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

Meanwhile, another contestant from San Antonio, facemaker Ashlyn Carr, was reportedly arrested in August for pouring sugar into the gas tank of her ex-boyfriend's car while a student at Sam Houston State University, according to a report in The Houstonian Online.

So smoking a little weed gets you kicked off but acting liking a psycho doesn't?

That was my thought, too.

Maybe sugar in the gas tank comes across as a "mischievous prank" in their eyes, but they can't have someone that might corrupt the pure, innocent youth of America.

:rolleyes:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Akron is gone- I didn't know if they mentioned that last night, I didn't see it

tmz.com

Akron Watson, an "American Idol" contestant from Dallas and one of the feel-good stories of the new season, has been disinvited from the Hollywood round of the show, possibly after producers discovered a pot bust on his record.

Watson, whose San Antonio audition aired on last night's "Idol," was arrested in April 2003 for misdemeanor possession of marijuana, according to court records obtained and posted by PegasusNews.com, by way of Reality TV Magazine. He was headed to Hollywood after impressing the judges with his singing, and his story. But Watson tells Pegasus News that two days before he was scheduled to leave for Hollywood, he received a call saying that he would not be competing anymore "for unknown reasons." "Idol" producers did not comment on their withdrawn invitation.

When confronted by police, says the Houstonian, Carr confessed to the crime.

A spokesman for FOX had no comment.

I know. I mentioned it twice here already. I heard about this last week here in Dallas before the show was aired. Again, here's the interview taped by Fox reporters here in Dallas...

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages...n=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=7.5.1

And since he served his time and straightened himself out, he deserves to go and try. Now that psycho girl should be taken off the show if Akron is.

What happened to second chances? No one is perfect, especially in your younger days, where you might experiment more. Seems if Akron just smoked pot, that's one thing. Did he hurt anybody else? While on the other hand, the story mentioned above states Ashlyn's actions did harm another. So I don't know... Give Akron another shot. Or drug test him if you are so concerned - then again, there's the right to privacy, isn't there. :sigh:

They're giving a lot of previous Hollywood contestants another chance this year. Two of the guys we saw in the audition shows, that Gina girl, and then I just saw that lame-ass cowboy guy from last year. Simon ripped their group a new one last year, and they let him back again?

WHATEVER.

Hey, did you all see Robyn Troup? She was the gal who won the voting thing to sing with Justin Timberlake at the Grammys! Oooh, and she didn't make it to the next round.

Sundance got a really lucky break. He kind of stunk tonight.

Last edited:
That country singer girl was good. I think we'll hear from Robyn Troup again (outside the show).

Sundance got a really lucky break. He kind of stunk tonight. [/B]

He has talent, the judges recognize it. I'm thinking, even if he doesn't do the greatest every night, he's still gonna go through. He can really sing well, and that's more than a bunch of the others can say.

Yeah, I think you're right.

Did Castro/Jesus get cut? I think he got cut before that last elimination. I really liked him. :(

Glad that annoying Perla didn't make it through.

I think so. :[ It seemed to imply it, anyway. I liked him a lot too. Pity.

I totally agree, Perla was annoying. She could only sing one thing, one way, and kept singing it. Over. And over. And over.

Yeah. Shakira herself is annoying, I certainly don't want to watch or hear someone who imitates her.

corianderstem said:
They're giving a lot of previous Hollywood contestants another chance this year. Two of the guys we saw in the audition shows, that Gina girl, and then I just saw that lame-ass cowboy guy from last year. Simon ripped their group a new one last year, and they let him back again?

WHATEVER.

Hey, did you all see Robyn Troup? She was the gal who won the voting thing to sing with Justin Timberlake at the Grammys! Oooh, and she didn't make it to the next round.

Sundance got a really lucky break. He kind of stunk tonight.

The girl who sang with Timberlake was in the Hollywood round? I did not know that. I didn't think she was anything special at the Grammys. :shrug:

Perla was getting on my nerves too. And so was the blond of the "best friends" duo. I felt bad for Bailie. I don't know why she couldn't remember her words. There was one group, maybe hers, that sang a song that didn't even sound familiar. :der:

I liked the 4 guys who did 'How Deep Is Your Love' :up:

So tomorrow they have to narrow it down by 16 more people, and then the voting down to 12 begins

Yeah, that group that did How Deep Is Your Love were really good. I like the beat boxing kid and the guy with the Jack Osborne hair - I'm glad they both got through.

I was glad Bailie didn't make it through - wasn't she the one who Simon was all "you're a perfect package, record companies would love you" kind of thing? That annoyed me, so I'm glad she's gone.

Yes, I'm evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom