American Idol 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, after watching last night's performance, I thought AI was over and done with for me. But I thought tonight I'd give the girls a chance at least, and if they didn't prove that they were worthy, I was going to hang it up so to speak with AI.

Tonight was a long time since I got goose bumps from an AI performance. All black women this evening should be rejoicing because they are the front runners, and I mean way out in front...like left everyone in the dust. The other hopeful I would bet on is Gina, the girl with the red streak in her hair. The rest of them need to pack their bags and go home.

Again Randy and Simon were spot on.

I might just watch it now for the women folk. Which by the way, I think the top 5 at the end of the season will be all women.

Right now I hope the winner will be Lakisha.

And for those that need a pic with a name, go here....

http://www.americanidol.com/contestants/season6/

I think the judges should be embarrassed that they put through Sundance and Antonella over their "Death Chair" mates. I say kick 'em both out this week and bring those other two back instead.

Somewhere in America, those two are throwing their TVs out their windows in blind rage.

That's what I'm thinking corianderstem!

Wow, I was really looking forward to the show after reading a few comments earlier this evening. Some of the women definitely did not disappoint. After the last two nights performances, I'd have to say Lakisha is the frontrunner. Really liked Melinda Doolittle, as well as Jordin & Sabrina. Stephanie (the first woman to perform) & Gina did well as well.

The women were much better. LaKisha just blew me away, I literally just sat there stunned and said "holy crap". I think she could have beaten out Jennifer Hudson for that role :silent: She's so sweet and likable too. I think Antonella is there because of how she looks- I don't think she's a good singer at all or has all that appealing of a personality. I couldn't believe when they picked her over that other girl.

AI Recaps February 21st
Top 12 Girls (They Don’t Quite Suck as Much as the Boys)

Last night, with the guys, was a big pile of meh. To be generous, I will say I was underwhelmed. I’m hoping the ladies bring their A game. However, I do have one question. Did Paula get into Ryan’s stash of Frost ‘n’ Tip?

Stephanie Edwards (How Come You Don’t Call Me)-At Stephanie’s initial audition Simon mentioned that she reminded him of singers from the 1920s and 1930s. Stephanie does have a very old school sound to her voice-very sophisticated. This is a woman singing, not a little girl. She sings with conviction and worked the stage. I called her the stealth contestant, and I really think she’s someone we should keep our eyes on. Stephanie really raised the bar for the evening.

Amy Krebs (I Can’t Make You Love Me)-And the bar has been lowered. Amy sounded a bit nasally in this song. Plus she was so bland and tepid even though she tried to add some glory notes at the end. Amy comes across like a hotel piano lounge singer. Like Simon mentioned, Amy is very unmemorable. But then again, the judges chose contestants that are very interchangeable.

Leslie Hunt (Natural Woman)-In some featured segments, Leslie has red hair. In some segments, she has blonde hair. Does she have mood hair that changes with her emotions? Leslie sings an iconic Aretha song. And though I love the warm, husky tone of her voice, her moves on stage are so awkward and take away from her performance. She just lumbers along. I did like how she finished the song. She put a bit of grit into it. Something about Leslie intrigues me, and I hope she sticks around. I’m interested in what other songs she might choose to sing.

Sabrina Sloan (I Never Loved a Man, The Way I Loved You)-Personally, I found her Sabrina’s voice to be sharp in some places. However, she did bring the glory notes and melisma to her performance, which always brings in a lot of votes. She also seemed very comfortable on stage. She’ll probably stay. I think she knows what AI is looking for, and will act accordingly.

Antonella Barba (And I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing)-Boy, was she stiff. And her voice was all over the place as if she had no control over it. She seemed so passionless and uninspired. I was more intrigued by her lip gloss.

Jordin Sparks (Give Me One Reason)-Jordin brings a bit of spice to the sugar. And though I thought this song is a bit too mature for her, Jordin’s voice was in fine form. She was strong throughout her performance, though her hand gestures were a bit cheesy. And despite being a teenager, she is miles ahead of Sanjaya. I think she’s going to stick around for a while and this won’t bother me a bit.

Nicole Tranquillo (Stay)-I didn’t know it was drunk karaoke night? Nicole was way too pitchy throughout her performance, and didn’t seem too true to herself. It’s like she’s working too hard to be notable but she’s not delivering. I know she can sing after seeing snippets from her audition and Hollywood Week, but it wasn’t evident in tonight’s performance.

Haley Scarnato (All Coming Back to Me)-This was such a Miss America performance, right down to her tacky outfit and lame hand gestures. The judges mentioned she was very Broadway. Maybe Haley should have auditioned for “Grease: You’re the One That I Want.”

Melinda Doolittle (Since You’ve Been Gone)-I’ve pinned a lot of hopes on Melinda, ever since I saw her audition. Fortunately, Ms. Doolittle (more like Do a Lot) did not disappoint me. Her voice sounded superb throughout the song, and she had great command of the stage. Once again, this is a woman singing, not a little girl. The journey from back up singer to front and center diva has become much shorter. I think Melinda may have to hire some back up singers of her own. And Simon was spot on in mentioning that Melinda has loads of talent, but lacks arrogance. I just love her all around.

Alaina Alexander (Brass in Pocket)-Alaina decided to give it the old college try, but sounds totally Delta, Delta, Delta karaoke night. I was not impressed.

Gina Glocksen (All By Myself)-Gina is definitely in it to win it. I can feel her ambition (and ambition in women is not a bad thing). I wish she’d choose a song that showcased her rock chick vibe, but this song really exposed her powerful vocals. Plus the glory note she gave at the end will garner Gina a lot of votes. I think we’re going to see her next week.

LaKisha Jones (And I Am Telling You)-I was a bit leery about LaKisha singing this song. Jennifer Hudson was so powerful in the “Dreamgirls” movie and definitely deserves her Oscar nomination. And the original Effie, Jennifer Holiday, made this song a Broadway legend. However, LaKisha did not disappoint. I felt chills as she emoted and sang this song for all she’s worth. I actually had to wipe tears from my eyes. LaKisha was that good. She’s definitely the one to watch. And happy birthday to her daughter, Brianne.

To sum up, I was far more impressed by the girls tonight. There were several stand out performances. The guys have a lot of work to do to catch up to the likes of LaKisha, Melinda, and Stephanie. Thursday we find out the two guys and two girls who won’t be joining us next week. And season 3’s winner, Fantasia, will sit a spell with us. It should be an interesting night.

Golightly Grrl said:
AI Recaps February 21st
Top 12 Girls (They Don’t Quite Suck as Much as the Boys)

Last night, with the guys, was a big pile of meh. To be generous, I will say I was underwhelmed. I’m hoping the ladies bring their A game. However, I do have one question. Did Paula get into Ryan’s stash of Frost ‘n’ Tip?

Stephanie Edwards (How Come You Don’t Call Me)-At Stephanie’s initial audition Simon mentioned that she reminded him of singers from the 1920s and 1930s. Stephanie does have a very old school sound to her voice-very sophisticated. This is a woman singing, not a little girl. She sings with conviction and worked the stage. I called her the stealth contestant, and I really think she’s someone we should keep our eyes on. Stephanie really raised the bar for the evening.

Amy Krebs (I Can’t Make You Love Me)-And the bar has been lowered. Amy sounded a bit nasally in this song. Plus she was so bland and tepid even though she tried to add some glory notes at the end. Amy comes across like a hotel piano lounge singer. Like Simon mentioned, Amy is very unmemorable. But then again, the judges chose contestants that are very interchangeable.

Leslie Hunt (Natural Woman)-In some featured segments, Leslie has red hair. In some segments, she has blonde hair. Does she have mood hair that changes with her emotions? Leslie sings an iconic Aretha song. And though I love the warm, husky tone of her voice, her moves on stage are so awkward and take away from her performance. She just lumbers along. I did like how she finished the song. She put a bit of grit into it. Something about Leslie intrigues me, and I hope she sticks around. I’m interested in what other songs she might choose to sing.

Sabrina Sloan (I Never Loved a Man, The Way I Loved You)-Personally, I found her Sabrina’s voice to be sharp in some places. However, she did bring the glory notes and melisma to her performance, which always brings in a lot of votes. She also seemed very comfortable on stage. She’ll probably stay. I think she knows what AI is looking for, and will act accordingly.

Antonella Barba (And I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing)-Boy, was she stiff. And her voice was all over the place as if she had no control over it. She seemed so passionless and uninspired. I was more intrigued by her lip gloss.

Jordin Sparks (Give Me One Reason)-Jordin brings a bit of spice to the sugar. And though I thought this song is a bit too mature for her, Jordin’s voice was in fine form. She was strong throughout her performance, though her hand gestures were a bit cheesy. And despite being a teenager, she is miles ahead of Sanjaya. I think she’s going to stick around for a while and this won’t bother me a bit.

Nicole Tranquillo (Stay)-I didn’t know it was drunk karaoke night? Nicole was way too pitchy throughout her performance, and didn’t seem too true to herself. It’s like she’s working too hard to be notable but she’s not delivering. I know she can sing after seeing snippets from her audition and Hollywood Week, but it wasn’t evident in tonight’s performance.

Haley Scarnato (All Coming Back to Me)-This was such a Miss America performance, right down to her tacky outfit and lame hand gestures. The judges mentioned she was very Broadway. Maybe Haley should have auditioned for “Grease: You’re the One That I Want.”

Melinda Doolittle (Since You’ve Been Gone)-I’ve pinned a lot of hopes on Melinda, ever since I saw her audition. Fortunately, Ms. Doolittle (more like Do a Lot) did not disappoint me. Her voice sounded superb throughout the song, and she had great command of the stage. Once again, this is a woman singing, not a little girl. The journey from back up singer to front and center diva has become much shorter. I think Melinda may have to hire some back up singers of her own. And Simon was spot on in mentioning that Melinda has loads of talent, but lacks arrogance. I just love her all around.

Alaina Alexander (Brass in Pocket)-Alaina decided to give it the old college try, but sounds totally Delta, Delta, Delta karaoke night. I was not impressed.

Gina Glocksen (All By Myself)-Gina is definitely in it to win it. I can feel her ambition (and ambition in women is not a bad thing). I wish she’d choose a song that showcased her rock chick vibe, but this song really exposed her powerful vocals. Plus the glory note she gave at the end will garner Gina a lot of votes. I think we’re going to see her next week.

LaKisha Jones (And I Am Telling You)-I was a bit leery about LaKisha singing this song. Jennifer Hudson was so powerful in the “Dreamgirls” movie and definitely deserves her Oscar nomination. And the original Effie, Jennifer Holiday, made this song a Broadway legend. However, LaKisha did not disappoint. I felt chills as she emoted and sang this song for all she’s worth. I actually had to wipe tears from my eyes. LaKisha was that good. She’s definitely the one to watch. And happy birthday to her daughter, Brianne.

To sum up, I was far more impressed by the girls tonight. There were several stand out performances. The guys have a lot of work to do to catch up to the likes of LaKisha, Melinda, and Stephanie. Thursday we find out the two guys and two girls who won’t be joining us next week. And season 3’s winner, Fantasia, will sit a spell with us. It should be an interesting night.

:applaud:

And I too had to wipe tears from my eyes during Lakisha's performance. I hope she continues to shine :up:

I wish Simon would hold back on his uber praise. I can see Lakisha being eliminated halfway through and we'll all have to suffer through another big brou-ha-ha where everyone's all up in arms crying about how stupid the people voting are, how lazy the non-voters are, how racist the voters are, blah blah blah.

Simon should know that sometimes praising someone too much might a) lead people to think that singer is safe and not vote; or b) lead people to NOT vote for that person just as a "take THAT, Simon!" move.

But her performance was by far one of the best, if not the best of the night. But I do understand your point about Simon and the uber-praise. And I did make sure to vote last night :wink:

Oh yeah, she was BY FAR the best last night. But his whole "the other 23 should book their flights home" line just made me cringe. Simon, do you WANT a bunch of 12 year olds going "Oh yeah, Simon??? I'll show you!"

I think Antonella should be the first one to go for the women. There were a handful of other unmemorable ones among the women, but I can't pick one. The one who sang Celine, maybe. She bugged me. The girl with the great hair who sang "Brass In Pocket" might go.

I can't pick who might go for the men. I want Sundance to go, but who knows?

corianderstem said:
Oh yeah, she was BY FAR the best last night. But his whole "the other 23 should book their flights home" line just made me cringe. Simon, do you WANT a bunch of 12 year olds going "Oh yeah, Simon??? I'll show you!"

I think Antonella should be the first one to go for the women. There were a handful of other unmemorable ones among the women, but I can't pick one. The one who sang Celine, maybe. She bugged me. The girl with the great hair who sang "Brass In Pocket" might go.

I can't pick who might go for the men. I want Sundance to go, but who knows?
I don't want to make you puke, but according to DialIdol (take this with a grain of salt), Sundance has the most votes.

I don't know the reasons for it, but a few season ago they decided they wanted to break it down to an equal number of men/women. I think it's stupid.

So now we're stuck with a bunch of half-assed men who maybe only made it because they had to have 24 guys to start the semifinals.

Golightly Grrl said:
I don't want to make you puke, but according to DialIdol (take this with a grain of salt), Sundance has the most votes.

I'm actually okay with it. It surprises me, but I'm okay with it. I'm still willing to give him another chance to get his head out of his ass and start singing well again. His first audition blew me away.

I just thought he'd be the one to go.

It should be a shock to no one who regularly watches the show that the worst singers often live to sing another week.

I mean, there are probably 600 teenagers in Jersey voting 8,000,000 times for Antonella. "OMG WE CAN'T LET HER GET VOTED OFF BECAUSE SIMON WAS SO MEAN!!!!"

Be zen-like about it. Idol is pretty messed up, and I wish they'd do something about the way voting is allowed, but it's still entertaining television. That's my advice ... and sometimes I try to take my own advice. :wink:

I'm trying to remember talk about DialIdol.com in past seasons ... has the website been an accurate predictor in the past? I want to say it's been proven wrong quite a bit, but can't quite remember.

Sorry for my delayed response - I had a video to watch :wink:

If I recall, DialIdol - at least the few times I checked it out, were pretty on target. Maybe GG knows better.

Nothing against Antonella, but when you put her up against some of the other performers last night, she's not even in their league. Sure, she could have had a bad night & nerves got to her. She's been alright before, but nothing special beyond her looks. Suck it up - some of the others raised the bar. Damn voters!

:corn:

... avoiding spoilers ... ... avoiding spoilers ... but I had to come in here just to rant:

Man, I hate these group sings. Thanks for ruining the best Tears For Fears song ever. :grumpy:

... running back out of thread ...

Well, maybe they'll decide to kick her off for flashing her boobies. One can only hope!

I was fine with the people that got booted tonight. At least we won't have to look at Paul's bare feet anymore.

<--- has the anti-foot fetish

AI Recaps-February 22nd
The Results

Which two guys and two girls won’t be joining the AI fold next week? Tonight the final 24 is going to be cut down to 20. If it was up to me, more than 4 would be leaving and most of them would be guys.

Ryan informs us that many music people will be joining AI for theme nights. Some of these people actually include people not old enough to be my parents. However, the inclusion of Jennifer Lopez is a head scratcher. Will she force the contestants to wear Glow? Perhaps she’s around for Latin music week.

Our AI hopefuls sing “Sowing the Seeds of Love” by Tears for Fears. They made it a very high school graduation song circa 1990. I couldn’t even enjoy it ironically. Last year I had so much fun during the Queen and Elvis medleys. Maybe once we get rid of the cannon fodder (you know who I’m talking about), we’ll have more amusing medley performances.

As I mentioned in my last recap, tonight’s special guest is AI season 3 winner Fantasia. Fantasia has some excellent news. She’s going to be on Broadway, starring in “The Color Purple.” She sings one of its songs “I’m Here.’ Judging from the goose bumps I got, I think Fantasia will do a great job as Celie.

But we all know why we’re tuning into the results show, the poor schmucks who are getting kicked off. Of the guys Paul Kim is one of the first to go. I guess his lucky panties weren’t quite so lucky. Rudy Cardenas is also leaving us. Perhaps he shouldn’t have worn a t-shirt with a bullseye on it. Both give lousy sing-outs. Of the girls, both Amy Krebs and Nicole Tranquillo are not returning next week. Amy sings, and moments after she’s done, she’s completely unmemorable to me. Nicole sings “Stay.” She’s “Gone.” And as we watch Paul, Rudy, Amy, and Nicole’s last moments on AI, we are treated to Chris DAUGHTRY!’s song, “Home.” It’s so obvious the powers that be at AI wish he was the winner of season 5.

I wasn’t too surprised that these four got the boot. I also wasn’t surprised that the four divas of AI6-Stephanie, Sabrina, Melinda, and LaKisha are staying. Alaina staying was a bit of a shock. I thought Leslie might leave due to her awkwardness on stage, but maybe other voters find her intriguing like I do. Antonella staying is completely inexplicable. She was horrible! I think she’s getting a lot of votes from guys who hope she stays along enough to get a spread in Maxim magazine.

As for the guys, I heard a rumor that Sundance had the highest amount of votes among the guys. This is really hard to believe. Blake and Brandon were so much better. And I think Phil, Chris R., and Chris S have growing fan bases. I was a little surprised that Sanjaya was in the top 4. He must have clinched the Tiger Beat vote. Sanjaya is like a Bollywood Shaun Cassidy...or Kristy McNichol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom