American Idol 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's the girl. I understand your sentiment. I was hoping the blonde "best buddy" who doesn't flirt with the boys :coughcough: and didn't rehearse much was axed. We still have tomorrow night.

:corn: ? :wink:

The How Deep is Your Love guys were good! I'm also glad that they gave Sundance another shot. On one hand, I'm sad to see Bailie gone, she was good but I am glad to see that the judges stuck to their belief that it's a no-go for anyone who can't remember their lines. That's too bad. Ah well.... I'm sure the show will knock our socks off with other amazing talent!

AI Recaps-February 13th
Hollywood Week

It’s Hollywood Week and I’m multi-tasking. Not only am I watching American Idol and writing my recaps, I’m also making cookies as a Valentine’s Day treat for my co-workers. Imagine what I’d do if I actually liked these people. Just kidding.

For the past few weeks we’ve been “treated” to auditions. Our fearless judges have traveled all over the United States in search of the next American Idol. We’ve seen the good (back up singers like Melinda Doolittle and Brandon Rogers), the bad (pretty much the entire city of Seattle), and the ugly (remember Ian Bernado from New York? Yea, I’m trying to forget him too).

We arrive in Hollywood with some memorable contestants like the curly-haired snarkmeister Chris Slighe and the whiny Sarah “Daddy doesn’t love me” Burgess. Some contestants I forgot soon after they auditioned. Navy guy, Jarrod Fowler? Zzzzzz.....

On the first day, the girls perform individually, and it’s not impressive. Everyone one of the first six girls that perform do not go through. Among this group is Jory Steinberg, a Canadian who is just a bit too full of herself.

Sadly, Porcellana, a tough chick from Queens who impressed me with her killer abs and her voice doesn’t go through. I liked her. She was a welcome relief of all of the perfectly presentable pageant princesses that usually make it.

Perla, the Columbian bombshell, comes to Hollywood thinking she’s all ready a star. Perla sings “Hips Don’t Lie.” I decide to re-name Perla, “Fakira.” Simon claims that Perla is personality over talent. Truer words were never spoken. And Perla’s personality really grates.

Baylie claims she’s a city girl, but comes out with a country-fried, “Y’all.” I guess she believes being a small town girl will get you further than being from the city. Porcellana claims, “No shit.” Baylie goes onto the next round.

It’s the second day of Hollywood week, and we’re treated to the boys’ solo performances. I’m usually more impressed by the boys than the girls, and I wonder if this group of boys will deliver.

I note some guys who caught my eyes and ears during their auditions like Sundance Head and Blake the Beat Box. Brian Miller who got to Hollywood last year is back for more. He’s cute, but he does nothing for me. He’s too boy bandish. I’m sure the “High School Musical” loving tweeners would eat him up. And Jarrod the navy guy just sucks. We don’t get to see many of the really great guys. I’m bummed.

The next day we have the group rounds. Remember kids, there’s no “I” in team.

Not surprisingly, Baylie teams up with New Jersey BFFs Amanda and Antonella. Got to keep the pretty girls together. Sadly, they don’t play well together. And Amanda just has to go off and flirt with some cute boys. When the girls perform, Baylie doesn’t get through because she forgets the lyrics. Tragic! Well, maybe she can get a job at the mall.

The guys prove to be far more talented and they really gel. I’m totally impressed with Chris Slighe’s group as they sing the Bee Gee's classic "How Deep is Your Love." They had fabulous harmonies and Blake’s beat box added a fun element.

While watching the group rounds, I’m shocked to note that some of these people got as far as Hollywood. So many are just horrible. And Sundance, who really impressed me at his initial audition, is a big pile of meh. However, he does have the maturity to realize he needs to work harder and deliver every time he sings.

Finally, the contestants are put in three different rooms. Two of these rooms will go to the next round, and the other room of contestants will go home, their dreams dashed. People going through are Chris Slighe, Paul Kim, Sundance Head, Tami the lip ring girl, and Antonella the least offensive of the Jersey BFFs. Sanjaya, the sweet kid who impressed me at his audition when he sang Stevie Wonder is also going to the next round. But Sanjaya’s sister, Shyamali is not. I like that Sanjaya consoled his sister. They’re good kids.

Tomorrow we find out the top 24, the top 12 girls and the top 12 guys. What are your picks?

Last edited:
Lila64 said:

The girl who sang with Timberlake was in the Hollywood round? I did not know that. I didn't think she was anything special at the Grammys. :shrug:

I thought she held her own with JT, but that's probably not difficult. I didn't know she was an amateur until afterwards.

I can't make predictions, because I think I can only name maybe 7 contestants I remember who have made it this far.

Chris with curly hair
the two best friends
the Indian brother
Beat Box guy
Sundance
Gina Glocksen

:wink:

U2Girl416 said:
I'm no expert, but they have to sing for only a few moments, only a few lines and so many people forgot their words last night!
By now, the contestants should know that "oldies" are used during Hollywood Week. They should listen to classic radio, look through their parents' music collection, or download some oldies into their iPods to get an idea of what to sing.

And is it just me or did last night's show seem very rushed and scattered? It's during Hollywood week that we really find some contenders, but last night was kind of meh. I was hoping to see more of people who really caught my eyes and ears during the initial auditions like Melinda Doolittle, Paul Kim, and Tami the lip ring girl. Instead, we get the drama between the Jersey (not)BFFs and Baylie.

Golightly Grrl said:
By now, the contestants should know that "oldies" are used during Hollywood Week. They should listen to classic radio, look through their parents' music collection, or download some oldies into their iPods to get an idea of what to sing.

And is it just me or did last night's show seem very rushed and scattered? It's during Hollywood week that we really find some contenders, but last night was kind of meh. I was hoping to see more of people who really caught my eyes and ears during the initial auditions like Melinda Doolittle, Paul Kim, and Tami the lip ring girl. Instead, we get the drama between the Jersey (not)BFFs and Baylie.

yeah they spent way too much air time on the whole Baylie group and the flirting, and more of the drama in groups in general. I lost track of some of the people I liked when they did the group stuff.

I'd rather have more episodes of the Hollywood rounds than so many episodes of the initial auditions.

that perla chick was just too full of herself and I am glad she didn't make it through.. that's not what the competition is about and I am glad the judges saw that.. She just wanted to be on tv and thought she could get by with that alone..

Sad, I wish the hollywood rounds were longer. I agree that so much was smashed into one episode. THe shakira girl annoyed me to no end, and I was developing hatred for the Amanda BFF girl. When she said something like, "God only helps/likes the good people" I was like, what? Sad that behavior is all to common amoung young girls.

drdre12 said:
. . . and I was developing hatred for the Amanda BFF girl. When she said something like, "God only helps/likes the good people" I was like, what? Sad that behavior is all to common amoung young girls.

I wanted to slap that little bitch when she said that! Good to know that she's an authority on "good people." :rolleyes: I have to admit I was happy she was cut.

^me too. I wanted to slap her as well. I thought her comments cemented her fate (not by the judges, just by me).

And yeah, I wish the Hollywood rounds were longer or just aired in a more cohesive fashion. A lot of the good people weren't even shown, or just briefly. Perhaps they know these people were getting more airtime tonight, so it was edited accordingly. :shrug:

Okay, never mind about all the rumors about a "plant". That Thomas Lowe guy didn't make it.

We'd never have heard of him if that rumor hadn't gotten out! He was one of the "How Deep Is Your Love" group from Tuesday night - I swear that's the only air time he's gotten.

Controversy averted. :wink:

:lmao:

So we're down to 24. I felt bad for for the final four and how it was done, but they always do the elimination that way. I think this year the men seem to be more memorable, and the 2 women I remember off the top of my head were Lakisha and Melanie. Actually, no one really stands out. I'll have to wait til next week for that. :shrug:

So far I think this season is just okay:( No one is really standing out and I am finding myself reading a magazine vs. paying attention!! I just hope it gets better as it goes along. The one thing I noticed-how short are all the men?! They were all the same size as Ryan!!

AI Recaps-February 14th
The Top 24

After weeks of auditions and the hell known as Hollywood Week, we get the top 12 guys and top 12 girls. These are the “best” 24 who will perform on AI and grovel for our votes. I also like to call this episode the “Chair” because the contestants have to walk that dreaded walk to the chair of truth, lie prostrate in front of the judges, and find out their fate. But first they have to go up the elevator, or as I like to call it the “hell-evator.” It must be the longest elevator ride ever. And in true Idol fashion, they stretch out what could have taken 15 minutes into an hour show. Here are the top 24:

Top 12 Guys
Sanjaya Makalar-There is something so DeFranco Family about this kid.

Brandon Rogers-Back up singer turned lead singer, great smile, and has a great voice.

Phil Stacy-Chris Daughtry Two: Electric Bugaloo.

Chris Slighe-As usual brings the snark, and he can sing. However, he may want to temper the snark just a wee bit. I love snark, but not everyone warms up to it.

Blake the Beat Box-Gets through but has to keep in mind that it is a singing competion. American Beat Box Idol hasn’t been done yet...give Fox time.

Rudy Cardenas-Is it just me or does he look a bit like Adam Sandler?

Paul Kim-Barefoot and lucky panties, Mr. Kim is going through.

AJ (forgot his last name)-5th time at the Idol bat and finally going through

Nicholas Pedro-He bowed out last year, but this time he is going through.

Chris Richardson-His voice is all up in the nasally, but he’s going through anyway.

Jared Kotter-Who?

Sundance Head-Despite blowing chunks during Hollywood week, Sundance goes a-Head (get it?) to the top 24.

Top 12 Girls
Melinda Doolittle-Needs to get used to the spotlight; she’s in the top 24.

Gina Glocksen-What a difference a year makes. Gina has definitely improved and is going through.

Hailey Scarnato-Who?

Jordin Sparks-Cute as a button and made the auditions in Seattle worth it. She’s going through.

Stephanie Edwards-Something about her intrigued me. Did we see her audition? Could she be a stealth contestant?

Leslie Hunt-She looks a bit like SNL’s Amy Poehler.

Alaina Alexander-She was going to pack it in and then she auditioned for AI. It was worth it. She’s going through.

Sabrina Sloan-Once again, who?

Lakisha Jones-I noticed her at the audition. I’m glad she’s going through.

Nicole Tranquillo-Snooze.

Amy Krebs-Whatever.

Antonella Barba-Her BFF Amanda implodes.

Is it just me or is this a really lackluster group? Certainly there are people who have made an impression on me-Chris Slighe, Melinda Doolittle, Lakisha Jones, to name a few, but other than that, I’m just not feeling anyone. I was hoping Tami Gosnell would make it through. I would love to see a rocker chick go far in the AI competition. And it’s been a while since a rocker girl got noticed by the music listening public. Sorry, but Avril Lavigne does not count. After completely screwing up during Hollywood week, Sundance is going over Thomas Daniels who was far more consistent. And I can’t believe Antonella went over Marisa Rhodes. Next week should be an interesting week.

ljclary said:
So far I think this season is just okay:( No one is really standing out and I am finding myself reading a magazine vs. paying attention!! I just hope it gets better as it goes along.

I agree. No one stands out for me either and honestly I dont think any of them have that 'american idolness' to them.

Golightly Grrl said:

Is it just me or is this a really lackluster group? Certainly there are people who have made an impression on me-Chris Slighe, Melinda Doolittle, Lakisha Jones, to name a few, but other than that, I’m just not feeling anyone.

I'm kinda feeling the same way. :slant: Usually, by this time, there is somebody that I am really rooting for (like Taylor last year)...but not this time around.

No one stands out because I swear to god, we haven't seen half of these people up until now. Who WERE half those girls? They spent a lot of time focusing on people in the auditions that didn't end up making it.

Which does make it a tad more interesting, I'll give them that. It's nice not having to play the "oh, they get a backstory, so they're making the finals" game, but they need to either spend more time focusing on the good people in the initial rounds, or spend some more time in Hollywood.

Golightly Grrl said:
Believe me, you didn't miss much.

But I'm thrilled. Remember when I told all of you I was writing an AI blog for Milwaukee's local Fox affiliate? Well, I just found out that I'm today'sfeatured blogger! Squeee

:applaud:

And yeah, I was bummed that the blonde rocker chick didn't make it through. Of course we didn't see any of her during Hollywood week, so we don't know how her performance was and can't compare her with most of the other 12 girls that made the cut, since we barely saw them either. I liked her voice. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom