American Idol 5 Pt. II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taylor - disappointed :tsk: It's like he totally froze up. His usual charisma wasn't there. COME ON TAYLOR! YOU SHOULD'VE HAD THIS ONE!

Mandisa - totally weird. Country is not her. Like Randy said, she didn't have it until the last bar.

Elliot - sang great! But, again he's way too nervous on stage and he needs to get over it already. I can't believe they are just now talking about how much his nerves effect his singing. I figured that out a long time ago.

Paris - great job since this is not her background. Total surprise that she was able to pull it off. Her range did come through.

Ace - just OK. Again, his high voice didn't really work for his country song. I just don't know that many male country singers that sing as high as him. Just very unusual.

Chris - Best male vocal tonight. A little bit off, not much charisma, but for the most part I'd give him an A-. It might have been nerves.

Katharine - Best female vocal tonight. Her range was there and for the most part dead on.

Kellie - good job. Not surprised since this is her background. I thought Katharine did it better though.

Bucky - WTF? Was that a real country song? Someone please help me out here. I thought it was an alternative rock song. Confused :huh: Again, he's just OK and still needs to go! :mad:

As we thought going in...this was was a big snooze fest. Is there anyone in this group who stands out at all at this point?? That's a problem.

--

Kellie - For the cleavage tonight:up: Outside of that...the act is still tired.

Ace - Better than the past few weeks. Reported this week that he's a Jehovah's witness. Oh, and ladies, he's single now...so please vote.

Taylor - Might have been the front runner going into tonight but that was horrid. The worst of the night. A freak vote could send him home.

Mandisa - Not much to say but I did think she looked like my mom's couch in Santa Fe.

Bucky - The theme gives him the best vocal of the night.

Chris - Ok

Katharine - The googley eyed flirtation with the camera is annoying.

Paris - See above.

Elliot - Ok

Can I just say, I HATE country. Since Bucky and Kelly have the country background, of course they are going to thrive. That song Bucky did - it's on one of my Vertical Horizon cds... I dont know who originated it. I just couldn't enjoy tonights show... any of it really since I hate the music.

the theme was atrocious :yuck: Couldn't stand it. Think the only song I knew was Taylor's, and it was very boring - disappointing.

I liked Katharine & Chris tonight. The theme worked well for Kellie. It was the first time that Paris appeared half-way decent/normal. The stylists should be fired. Mandisa looked huger than normal. I just don't understand. Probably some skinny white straight boy/girl dressing her :shrug: :reject:

I hope they send Bucky home... Country Road...take him home... to the place.... he belongs... :wave:

Paris was GREAT. She is the BEST singer in the competition, bar none. She hit the highest notes of the song with ease.

Chris just doesn't seem like he's going to be comfortable doing anything other than vedder-style alternative rock vocals.

Ace isn't doing it for me...he's just too...soft. You never see him go all-out on stage, everything is too controlled and safe. Every song he sings sounds like it's supposed to be a lullabye.

Kelly...yeah, she doesn't have much going on up there, but you know, at least she's not trying to hide it. There's no pretention. She is what she is and she's not denying it. Her vocal is good-but-not-great, imo.

Bucky...meh.

Elliot was good, I thought he had a Johnny Cash vibe going in his vocal tonight.

Katherine was good.

Mandisa...shouldn't wear tanktops. Let that be tonight's lesson. As for vocal...not good, imo.

Taylor - Ok but nothing special.

She Is Raging said:
Can I just say, I HATE country.............. I just couldn't enjoy tonights show... any of it really since I hate the music.

Yes, you can & I'd like to also say - I HATE COUNTRY! I'm beginning to wonder if AI is trying to weed out contestants that are into rock, R & B, or harder pop with a lineup of themes that start with 50's music, country, Stevie Wonder etc. These themes have been excruciatingly soft and boring.

Taylor just did not want to sing "Take Me Home Country Roads" last night. Could not get into it & I give him a lot of credit for not really relating to that song. He was holding back & has a lot more he could put into a song, but the style of it made him hold back. The song choices available must've been horrible!!

Same with Chris. Liked his vocal, however the song was BAAAADDD for him.

The song choices pretty much all sucked! I liked Chris and Taylor the best. Did not like anybody's act.

Lila64 said:

I hope they send Bucky home... Country Road...take him home... to the place.... he belongs... :wave:

:heart:

Haven't watched this ep yet and I don't know if I will bother. Maybe I'll just delete it from the DVR. :hmm: From the comments here it sounds like it was even worse than I'd expected. :crack:

It sucked! :down:

I am actually surprised that Simon, given that he is a producer and hates country so much, allowed this terrible style of music in the show.

Country music sucks! :down:

BTW, here is Dialidol's prediction for tonight... Mandisa going home :ohmy:

DialIdol
Rank Idol DialIdol Score Margin Of Error Actual Rank
1 Taylor Hicks 37.333 1.72 -
2 Katharine McPhee 28.589 1.836 -
3 Kellie Pickler 28.135 1.842 -
4 Chris Daughtry 26.915 1.857 -
5 Ace Young 23.787 1.897 -
6 Bucky Covington 23.113 1.905 -
7 Paris Bennett 19.035 1.955 -
8 Elliott Yamin 14.184 2.013 -
9 Mandisa 13.177 2.025 -

Last edited:
I hope Mandisa goes--I can't take much more of her screeching! Most of you are too young to really remember Kenny Rogers--but man he didn't even look the same as I remember him with Dolly Parton back in the 80's--something tells me a little eye lift here & little botox there. :ohmy:

Bono's Doll said:
I hope Mandisa goes--I can't take much more of her screeching! Most of you are too young to really remember Kenny Rogers--but man he didn't even look the same as I remember him with Dolly Parton back in the 80's--something tells me a little eye lift here & little botox there. :ohmy:

You know, up until last week, she was one of my favorites - she really seems to have gotten SO into her self. AMerican Idol is not the place to go shouting your religious beliefs etc... based solely on last night's performances, no one stood out. I'll be interested to see who's out tonight. I can't believe Bucky is still here. He's likeable enough - but he simply just cannot sing.

AI-Country Night

Taylor (Take Me Home, Country Roads-John Denver)-This was not the best song choice for Taylor. I don’t think he did as well as he could. And he didn’t seem too thrilled to be singing this song. Many people have mentioned that Taylor should have song a country song with a more bluesy/soulful vibe. I agree. There is a wonderful singer by the name of Robbie Fulks who has a lot of bluesy/soul vibe to his songs and I think Taylor could really deliver one of Mr. Fulks’ songs (however, not “Fuck This Town”-tee hee). I’m sure the Powers that Be wanted Taylor to sing a song that was more recognizable to the American public. But we all know I’m in the Taylor camp, so I’ll allow him one tepid performance. I know he can bring it next week. Perhaps he was under the weather.

Mandisa (Any Man of Mine-Shania Twain)-Any man of mine would have told Mandisa to shut up. She just didn’t bring anything to this song though I’m not exactly fan of the song to begin with. And I think her preaching and Beth Moore worship has tainted my opinion of her. Plus her outfit was atrocious. She looked like a planet that sings.

Elliott (If Tomorrow Never Comes-Garth Brooks)-Elliott, as usual, sings like an angel, yet he didn’t seem to feel the song. However, I don’t get the feeling country music is exactly his niche; he wasn’t quite in his comfort zone. And he did mention that he was nervous.

Paris (How Do I Live Without You?-LeAnn Rhimes, Trisha Yearwood)-I don’t think this song needs to be belted the way Paris belted it. I would like Paris to try subtlety and vulnerability, but I don’t think Paris has a subtle or vulnerable bone in her body. Paris has a wonderful voice, but she doesn’t seem to get the songs, which may be a reflection of her youth. And what was up with Simon’s comment that Paris reminded him of an early Dionne Warwick? Dionne Warwick hosting “Solid Gold” completely coked-out of her mind maybe.

Ace (I Wanna Cry-Keith Urban)-I absolutely love this song-when Keith Urban sings it. I like Ace, but he’s so vapid. It’s as if he brings no personality to his performances. However, he did bring the falsetto at the end, which will probably bring him some votes. I’m sure Paula’s vagina voted for him

Kellie (Fancy-Reba McIntire)-Kellie puts “DumbBlondeGate” to rest. She really is an idiot. Yes, what a positive role model for young girls everywhere. Yes, you could say Kellie was in her element on country night, but that doesn’t mean she can actually sing. I wasn’t impressed at all and I was bothered by the ass-kissing the judges were giving her. Why is she still in the competition?

Chris (Making Memories of Us-Keith Urban)-Chris doing country was actually pretty good and a sweet surprise, I like that he went down a few notches on the rocker thing, but his intense scary stare was a bit disconcerting.

Katharine (Bringing Out the Elvis In Me-Faith Hill)-Katharine wanted to go bluesy so she picks, of all people, Faith Hill? I did not like this song at all. I wish she would have done some old Linda Ronstadt like “Blue Bayou” or Rosanne Cash’s “Seven Year Ache”. And Katharine’s performance was too skeevy. She’s too classy for that. Being skeevy is Kellie’s schtick.

Bucky (The Best I Ever Had-Gary Allan/Vertical Horizon)
I’ve always liked this song and I think Bucky did an okay job. It was pitchy in some parts, but I liked this grit and growliness he brought to it. I liked the cowboy hat and the Dennis Weaver as “McCloud” jacket Bucky was wearing.

Sadly another meh night. Thank goodness for white wine. Country music is a huge genre, with some amazing songs, so why did the contestants sing such twee, Oprah-esque, soccer mommy crap?

Country week. Meh. Comments from best to worst. Although, the worst really weren't a trainwreck like last week.

Sadly, the best was actually Kellie: She actually did a good job on a Reba song. Although, I don't know how appropriate a song about prostitution is on American Idol.

Ace: He almost lost me last week. This week though, he sounded great, even the falsetto. I still want to see him perform something more upbeat. Hopefully next week.

Katherine: great vocals on an otherwise meh song. For me, she is the best female vocalist on the show and I like how she's showing a bit more personality lately.

Chris: Hey, he can actually sing! Next week will be back to rock. But, I really liked his performance and the song itself was not bad. I might just have to listen to some Keith Urban.

Elliot: Garth Brooks can be tricky and I would have preferred the Dance, but he sang it well. Again, his stage presence needs work, and he is probably best suited for a studio singer, but he does seem to be improving.

Paris: Most recognizable song of the night. She did a great job with her vocals, and was dressed much better.

Mandisa: The stylist must hate her. She just doesn't sound good when she isn't belting. The end of the song was good, but the beginning was weak.

Taylor: Step away from the John Denver. Bad song choice, he needed something with a bit more soul.

Based on the spoilers, I think Paris or Mandisa is gone.

Next week: Rock! with special guests Queen.

Yikes, another cruddy night on Idol. My favs were Elliot and Chris.

What was up with Taylor? He was so empty, so unlike himself. I hope that he doesn't get voted off.. I hope that we'll see the bouncy Taylor return.

I'm not a new country fan at all. The stuff they put out these days is pretty well just processed pop. So I too, had trouble enjoying this theme.

RavenBlue said:
What was up with Taylor? He was so empty, so unlike himself. I hope that he doesn't get voted off.. I hope that we'll see the bouncy Taylor return.
[/B]

I just read at another site that Taylor was very sick yesterday, with strep throat and a high fever. YIKES!!!! Hope he's feeling better.

All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't watch it last night.
Country music for an hour would have driven me crazy. I don't know why I sat through that theme last year. :huh:

I'll watch it tonight though and see recaps.

I don't think Mandisa is bad enough to be voted off tonight... I could see Bucky going (would actually love to see it), and I wouldn't be surprised or upset if Ace leaves as well. :yawn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom